• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Something I never really thought about is using Up+B instead of grab after landing an aerial on shield at high percentages when an F-throw throws 'em too high and a back throw won't kill (wrong side of the stage).

I see no reason why not, but does this "combo"?

King Funk's random Up+Bs inspired me. <3

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lot of people been doing that for a long time

Jaime's kinda famous for them.

They work, but you have to keep in mind that it is slower (and much more punishable) than a normal grab.

Mahie

Smash Lord
It's absolutely legit. Funk's been doing that for a while.

Just do it this way : Techchase them towards the edge with a dair, then either combo from it, which should be a freestock, or Dair>UpB their shield, which also gives you a free stock.

Only for use at higher%s, when fthrow becomes useless and bthrow doesn't really kill either.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Pretty much, yeah

Just throwing them out there works too, even against good players

UNEXPECTED

Battlecow

Play to Win
You need to watch more old Jaime matches/play him more

Dude would spam that **** and hit every time

X ta C

Smash Rookie
what is the best approach while playing a link, and what is the best way to avoid his edge guarding fsmash

Battlecow

Play to Win
Avoiding edgeguards in general with falcon is hard; try varying your timing, hesitating for split seconds, going right in and getting him with surprise magnets from your up-B, etc. Also try DI'ing into the wall so you can get another try; maybe you'll get lucky reverse LDI and survive.

At the end of the day, if you're recovering from a ways away as falcon, you're just gonna die most of the time.

As for approaches, there's no one answer; mix it up.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Also try DI'ing into the wall so you can get another try; maybe you'll get lucky reverse LDI and survive.
I love that option. You have to recover low to do it and you have to have rather low % but it's still worth the try. Try and crouch under a projectile before running in vs Link and Fox, it's pretty useful in many situations. And vs Link specially try to counter his boomerang with fair.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
King funk you da best at Up+Bing. Mostly because you do it in situations most people would never even think of diving. And it's often the best option, too. Example: Kongo Jungle on the rotating platforms. There is nowhere to go, so if you hit somebody up there, and they have to tech/land/whatever, there's really no way to avoid getting hugged. So easy, but goddamn so effective!

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
King funk you da best at Up+Bing. Mostly because you do it in situations most people would never even think of diving. And it's often the best option, too. Example: Kongo Jungle on the rotating platforms. There is nowhere to go, so if you hit somebody up there, and they have to tech/land/whatever, there's really no way to avoid getting hugged. So easy, but goddamn so effective!
I love to do it when the opponent lands on a platform because he will always most likely shield. And if he decides to adapt, almost every situation is still in your favor:
- if he tries to drop and attack you can usmash
- if he tries to jump you can catch him with uair
- etc.

Oh and you know what's amazing for covering all platform options when someone has to tech? Weak nair. It's amazing. Use it.

If ANYONE wants ideas/advice/critique on Falcon or Smash 64 in general contact me on MSN, AIM or Skype. ^^

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
REALLY I DIDN'T PICK THAT ONE UP THE FIRST 4 TIMES

.[color=1f1f1]x[/color]

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Superboom, congrats on the isai win!

I have three questions.
1) What was the purpose of Isai going full Link? Does he theorize the character may be representative of a metagame that now promotes sandbagging, and therefore of strong potential? Or was it sandbag for awesome sake?
2) Kirby vs Falcon. Specifically, what plan comes to mind when dealing with each stock of Kirby as a Falcon? All I can manage is backair spacing unless he ****s up, and at most 0-73% comboes.
3) Yoshi is recovering with second jump straight up onto dreamland in front of you. Can you stop it? Does that mean eating nair/bair necessarily?

:phone:

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Superboom, congrats on the isai win!

I have three questions.
1) What was the purpose of Isai going full Link? Does he theorize the character may be representative of a metagame that now promotes sandbagging, and therefore of strong potential? Or was it sandbag for awesome sake?
2) Kirby vs Falcon. Specifically, what plan comes to mind when dealing with each stock of Kirby as a Falcon? All I can manage is backair spacing unless he ****s up, and at most 0-73% comboes.
3) Yoshi is recovering with second jump straight up onto dreamland in front of you. Can you stop it? Does that mean eating nair/bair necessarily?

1) don't take my word on this, but i believe isai used link to represent a character that doesn't get much attention in high level tournements.

2) bair/fair spacing is probably your best option. mostly just be careful of kirby's utilt

3) try to space a f-smash without copping a nair/bair. while it may not guarantee a ko, its usually your best option, that and a spaced bair. sometimes it's worth trying to catch them off gaurd with an up-b but that runs the risk of eating a bair/nair and setting you up for an easy ko, especially on dreamland.

Battlecow

Play to Win
It's both

he claimed first that he was going to use all the underused characters to show how tourney-viable they are (it backfires like a mah****a, lol) and then he was like "nah idk link's fun"

asianaussie

Smash Hero
> 'backfires like a mah****a'
> very close games against one of the best falcons on dreamland (stupid matchup)
> 2nd place overall

:facepalm:

sure, pika to falcon are more viable, but im starting to think you don't even know what the word 'backfire' means

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I meant a metagame that promotes camping not sandbag

lol word slip.

Lost a local tournament to a Yoshi, can't believe one of the forty Kirbys didn't beat me instead.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I feel like Isai likes the challenge. He plays the game to have fun nowadays and now that somebody is posing a genuine threat to his low/mid tiers, I think he enjoys it.

That, and he's probably trying to get people off his **** for being the best in the world. :awesome:

Battlecow

Play to Win
> 'backfires like a mah****a'
> very close games against one of the best falcons on dreamland (stupid matchup)
> 2nd place overall

:facepalm:

sure, pika to falcon are more viable, but im starting to think you don't even know what the word 'backfire' means
A backfire is when you take an action to accomplish something and it produces a result that harms your intent instead of accomplishing it. So Isai:

>Tries to convince people that low tiers are tourney viable

>Post-tourney: 9001 people going "Oh Isai only lost because he used link, link sucks in 64."

>It backfired.

Out of curiosity, does "backfire" mean something different in Australia?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Do you even know what 'tourney-viable' means?
Such a *****, lol. Do you have to argue trench-by-trench with semantics and ****? He was trying to show people how link was good. He ended up lowering most people's opinions of link (OMG ISAI LOST WITH HIS FAVORTIE CARACHTER LINK MUST SUCK SOOOO BADD). I have a very simple and not very contentious point here.

Inb4 "DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT SEMANTICS MEANS????!!!" Jesus.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you're probably right, but most of those people don't even matter in the greater scheme, because they didn't watch the actual matches and probably don't care about 64

i guess isai being isai invalidates most points about the 2nd placing

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
I personally just saw it as a "Wow, I'm just terrible with Link. The character obviously isn't bad enough to validate my weakness with him versus other characters."

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^I did this off edge in match after watching you training mode combo and then spammin' that **** lol.
Of course in my many many eternal recorded matches I will never upload xD

also reverse bair to falcon kick is 2gud

Top Bottom