• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I disagree, but I'm not going to start an argument everyone has had a thousand times before about the Falcon - Pikachu on Dreamland MU.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I dont find Falcon on Pika DL to be too bad....except while playing battlecow

In general i find Mario on DL better vs Pika then Falcon ...just IMO though Mr.Shooting Star

Battlecow

Play to Win
fair sucks too easy to DI and ends combos earlier because you don't stale your uair ... plus upB sends them far off the stage so idk what you mean

except you can just uairs upB and you'll do more damage and hit them farther off the stage

on dl it's like no issue no matter what you do. can even fthrow fair bair bair reverse uair
RonPaulin'4life rears his antilogic head outside of the debate hall :c

First one- we were talking about against bad DI

Second one- you have to get fancy (somewhat) for that. We were talking about simple **** which means SUPER SIMPLE ****.

Third one sure whatever there's a lot of stuff you can do.

Also the Pika v Falcon matchup is prolly pretty bad, I'm honestly not qualified to judge because I personally have made that matchup my ***** after years of training and no pikachu player short of S-tier poses a significant challenge anymore on DL.

SpeedGhost

Smash Cadet
i love pika vs falcon on DL. Pika's gettin ***** up in hurr... That MU is in the bag. TOO easy to z2d on DL. Pika has to work alot harder on this stage than falcon does... they make a mistake and get grabbed its over. I find pika also struggles against falcon when falcon is at low percents, which is is converse to how falcon fares against pika. On DL, this amounts to ****.

If you've bin taught how to dougie... you dont even get gimped by pika cuz ur just too manly for that childsplay boii

SpeedGhost

Smash Cadet
If the players are both high level and fairly evenly skilled, on DL the matchup is about even. I've played it from both sides, and its much more annoying when you're falcon just because you have to grind alot more and deal with fireball bs. You CAN combo mario, its just a little harder to z2d and his fireball recovery with his UpB are tough as well. I like to bair through his recovery fireballs and either try to bair, or reverse uair him. Even if I dont get him, at least I take some of his fireballs out and get back to the stage quicker... Or, I stay on stage and f-tilt/bair his fireballs, but his upB is still tough.

Falcon's fsmash has a huge range, so you can stay still or DD a bit away from the edge, and then if he doesnt sweetspot absolutely perfectly you can catch him with a low-angled f-smash for the stock.

Sometimes ill do a running non-ff-d-air off the stage just before he upBs for surprise. Its nice because mario just hits your feet and gets spiked right down.

Punishing him if/when tries to mario tornado is always good for a kill as well.

Comboing from zero% you have some options on DL like f-throw-sh uair- (land on platform)-fair-uair-FD... and you can uair chain, but the uair chain won't kill mario even if you end with dair and he can just recover from below.

I dunno what do you think Bcow...

On DL i either try to invade marios space so he cant fireball...

Getting off the stage as falcon here means death against a good mario, so I try to be patient without letting him fireball camp...

Off the top of my head while studying vector calc.

This video of isai is not a bad example, the mario isnt very good, but theres some good things in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwmsufRyyMY

Battlecow

Play to Win
I play that matchup totally wrong. Dunno what to say about it, really. I just combo him up to 70% or something and after that it's just bthrow->try to edgeguard with bair/uair until he runs out of height and then trying to dair.

There is some pretty cool stuff you can do against mario with a non-ff'd dair. Can't really explain it in text, but it works (fairly) well against pretty much everyone.

The Star King

Smash Hero
In general i find Mario on DL better vs Pika then Falcon ...just IMO though Mr.Shooting Star
That's silly. Pikachu destroys Mario.

/whydobtiersoverratemario

Also the Pika v Falcon matchup is prolly pretty bad, I'm honestly not qualified to judge because I personally have made that matchup my ***** after years of training and no pikachu player short of S-tier poses a significant challenge anymore on DL.
I was destroying you on this match-up last time we played. And that's my Pikachu's worst match-up.

Unless you're saying I'm S-tier.

:phone:

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol prii sure I'm undefeated vs your pika in tourney

I was off last time, if we did it again I'd beat you like a rented mule.

The Star King

Smash Hero
No, you're not. And ***** please, even though my Pikachu loses to random B tier Falcons, I'm still going to wreck your pathetic little one-dimensional playstyle.

:phone:

Battlecow

Play to Win
I thought I was 1-0

you beat me with like randoms in that tourney didn't you?

Anyways, yawn, wish I had paypal so that I could MM lames when they said dumb stuff like that. As it is, I'm gonna have to settle for taking your pride at your earliest convenience.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
RonPaulin'4life
LMAO :bee:

rears his antilogic head outside of the debate hall :c
nothing to do with logic, just experience/practice

First one- we were talking about against bad DI
uairs to upB will still get more hits and do more damage though pretty sure

Second one- you have to get fancy (somewhat) for that. We were talking about simple **** which means SUPER SIMPLE ****.
uairs to upB is fancy?

Third one sure whatever there's a lot of stuff you can do.

falcon pretty good against pika IMO. Pika's gimping ability isn't that good really because falcon gets gimped hard against anybody.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I can SH uair SK, lol. We're talking about quote here, or rather a theoretical quote who needs the very simplest of combos (quote's prolly better than I'm giving him credit for)

Ballin' maybe. Try it from a totally noob perspective. Unless you got DL plats or something, you get maybe 70 and a higher-up opponent

Owell doesn't matter lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
not a good argument

mario and luigi basically have pika's throws and arguably gimp falcon better than pika at low percent
fox has pika's throws and can shine falcon really easily (even i can and im awful with fox)
ness has pika's throws (f-throw is a tad stronger too i believe) and gimps really well

falcon has decent matchups against all of the above on dreamland

ballin is saying that falcon's poor overall recovery makes the gimp argument a non-factor

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo, pika gimps better than any of those guys though. By far. Mario's maybe close, but no one else.

IDK if it's the distance they can safely get from the stage or what, but the rat definitely gets rid of falcon easier than those guys. whirling uairs that eat your jumps like they're pistachios, fsmashes, ftilts, and dtilts if they need to stay on the stage for some reason. nairs, dairs, and bairs all have their times. The only one with arguably better gimps on DL is DK IMO (and that's balanced out by all the **** doug can pull on DK)

I dunno if I'm doing a good job of explaining it, but if a pika grabs you on DL, you're like "Well, ****." If a fox grabs you, you've still got a fighting chance (although falcon's bad recovery means that it's still an uphill battle)

That said, you can still outsmart a pika sometimes.

Fox definitely doesn't have pika's grabs btw. That teeny-tiny range is a gift from the smash gods.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
At low percents it's probably possible for all above mentioned to gimp Falcon in one way or another. Surely it can be argued that Luigi/Mario/Ness have an easier time with it though, thanks to their dair.

Anyway, even if they can't gimp as easily as pikachu, if they can still gimp, then the argument would remain invalid.

Smash Lord
I had that console tournament today. I took fourth out of ten.

My loss at the end was to a falcon. He was definitely the better player but I kept in for game three because I DI'ed really well and not committing to anything that wasn't there. I ended up starting a lot of combos with Fair>>Usmash.

Sangoku

Smash Master
He either edgehogs to force Mario to go on-stage and punish (as any char would do), or he super precisely dairs into Mario's upb.

Battlecow

Play to Win
It's hard. You basically have to trick him. I like hanging on the ledge and hoping he throws a fireball wrong or something so you can hop off and bair him through it.

Dair works sometimes. Less than it should.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so. iirc SJP has like way more priority. Edgehog method is the best by far, or you can jump off and Bair/Reverse Uair through fireballs but it's mad risky.

Mahie

Smash Lord
If Mario is at higher %s, you can try to run off the edge and bair him on the wall, making him bounce to his death. You may want to do the same with an upB if you're feeling fancy.

Edgehog is probably your safest choice, though.

Top Bottom