• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That was from last week I believe. Here's really hoping that it's not true.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Shovel Knight before Wolf... ****ing ridiculous. Let's see Scorpion get in while we're at it. Or Freddy Fazbear. Maybe even that Mahjong Tile in next, too, seeing as how ****ing anybody can seeming make into Smash.

I don't even care if the leak is fake or not, but anything about Shovel Knight being next really pisses me off. A Mii Swordfighter outfit is the best he ****ing deserves.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Guys,I found a leak on GameFAQs

Well,it was really 4chan but someone on GameFAQs named Rad_Dudesman reposted it or something

I'll say the higlights:
In October,SSB4 will receive new DLC

Fighters:
Wolf(returns with an updated model)
Squirtle(Now has Rapid Spin as his Down-B;Rapid Spin reflects projectiles)
Metal Mario(a bigger,heavier,slower clone of Mario his Side-B and Down-B are different(his Side-B is basically the Green Missile and is slower to charge,his Down-B is Mario's old Down-B)he comes with Meta Crystal 64 in a bundle like Ryu)
Stages:
Meta Crystal 64
Sector Z 64
Yoshi's Island 64
Some other stage I forgot(EDIT:Saffron City 64)(was changed and only has Chansey come out the door)
Modes:
Mirror Mode(flips the stage around)
Mirror Mode 3DS(Mirror Smash Run+Stronger Enemies)
The guy said that this leak was the worst he has ever seen

Link to Rad's thread:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72429563

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm fine with Shovel Knight's inclusion. I mean, he isn't Nintendo exclusive, hasn't done much for Nintendo, certainly not enough to deserve a spot in a game featuring Nintendo all stars but the likes of :4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4palutena::4robinm::4feroy::4ryu::4shulk::4wiifit: clearly show that the bar has been set low enough for him. That being said, Wolf first before any other dlc characters!

I'm also noticing a lot of talk about leaks here recently. I'm too lazy and don't care enough to click the links but I personally tend to ignore leaks since too many of them are a load of crap.

Well,it was really 4chan but someone on GameFAQs named Rad_Dudesman reposted it or something

I'll say the higlights:

Fighters:
Metal Mario(a bigger,heavier,slower clone of Mario his Side-B and Down-B are different(his Side-B is basically the Green Missile and is slower to charge,his Down-B is Mario's old Down-B)he comes with Meta Crystal 64 in a bundle like Ryu)
Stages:
Meta Crystal 64
Sector Z 64
Yoshi's Island 64
Some other stage I forgot(EDIT:Saffron City 64)(was changed and only has Chansey come out the door)
Modes:

Link to Rad's thread:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72429563
Metal Mario? Fake, Mario can turn into him with Metal Box in Smash, and he would be almost as bad idea for a newcomer as Jumpman.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

I'll say the higlights:

Fighters:
Stages:
Meta Crystal 64
Sector Z 64
Yoshi's Island 64
Modes:

you can already play as metal mario.

themasterofcircuits

Smash Journeyman
NNID
professorfargo
I'm fine with Shovel Knight's inclusion. I mean, he isn't Nintendo exclusive, hasn't done much for Nintendo, certainly not enough to deserve a spot in a game featuring Nintendo all stars but the likes of :4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4palutena::4robinm::4feroy::4ryu::4shulk::4wiifit: clearly show that the bar has been set low enough for him. That being said, Wolf first before any other dlc characters!

I'm also noticing a lot of talk about leaks here recently. I'm too lazy and don't care enough to click the links but I personally tend to ignore leaks since too many of them are a load of crap.
Yes, but those are all first and second party characters (minus Ryu, buT he's very iconic and has been on nintendo consoles multiple times). I'm all for lesser known 1st and 2nd party characters in smash, but when it comes to 3rd parties, there's only so many spots that can be filled and SK isn't deserving of one of them.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Yes, but those are all first and second party characters (minus Ryu, buT he's very iconic and has been on nintendo consoles multiple times). I'm all for lesser known 1st and 2nd party characters in smash, but when it comes to 3rd parties, there's only so many spots that can be filled and SK isn't deserving of one of them.
Fair enough point though the bar is certainly low enough for Shovel Knight to be a possibility, especially if this whole dlc thing turns into nothing more than a cash grab, assuming it hasn't already done so.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
BIZARRE SPECULATION WARNING: (Only cause I have nothing better to do at the moment)
I notice how in Mewtwo's reveal trailer, at one point, he reflects a cannonball back at Roy (the Koopaling). POSSIBLY HINTING AT ROY (from beforehand of course).
Then we got Ryu's reveal two dunks and a hopscotch later and in one scene, it shows him fighting Fox AND Falco? There are MANY fast speedy characters to chose from, but why Fox and Falco? Unless they're hinting at....no...it's probably nothing

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
BIZARRE SPECULATION WARNING: (Only cause I have nothing better to do at the moment)
I notice how in Mewtwo's reveal trailer, at one point, he reflects a cannonball back at Roy (the Koopaling). POSSIBLY HINTING AT ROY (from beforehand of course).
Then we got Ryu's reveal two dunks and a hopscotch later and in one scene, it shows him fighting Fox AND Falco? There are MANY fast speedy characters to chose from, but why Fox and Falco? Unless they're hinting at....no...it's probably nothing
Dark Fox and Falco

Wait,they're costumes

W O L F B O Y Z

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman

I'll say the higlights:

Fighters:
Stages:
Meta Crystal 64
Sector Z 64
Yoshi's Island 64
Modes:

I actually believe that... almost...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I'll say the higlights:

Fighters:
Stages:
Meta Crystal 64
Sector Z 64
Yoshi's Island 64
Modes:

I actually believe that... almost...
Wouldn't be surprised if this was fake. Plus, we already can play as Metal Mario with the Green Box, item, right? So why have him as a playable fighter?

Last edited:

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Ed boon (creator of mortal kombat) has defeated Sakurai and is now the king of trolls. Yesterday he announced 4 dlc characters. "4 dlc characters are coming! In 2016!. Lmao imagine Sakurai announcing wolf for 2017.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ed boon (creator of mortal kombat) has defeated Sakurai and is now the king of trolls. Yesterday he announced 4 dlc characters. "4 dlc characters are coming! In 2016!. Lmao imagine Sakurai announcing wolf for 2017.
...at least he announced characters are coming, and is giving us silhouettes to speculate.

I'm getting more and more nervous that we won't be getting anyone interesting in Smash since all of these leaks are a bit disappointing. Then again, if that fake one with Metal Mario is real, I'd be ok with that - it has Wolf and Squirtle. I've tried to go back to Brawl to just play Wolf too, but my disc is scratched.

Just hope we get some info soon, since the fake leaks are driving me mad.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
You can't be serious.

Squirtle? Over Ivysaur or Pichu? One who is a grass type and one who actually has more votes in Japan (Ivy and Pichu respectively)

AND METAL MARIO!?

Metal Mario. That would be the single dumbest DLC idea ever and Sakurai would have to be on some sort of Martian heroine to do something like that. I think the only thing worse is Jumpman for DLC. It's basically Mario with a Metal Box item which we already have right now.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Normally I would not have been happy with Metal Mario, but since Wolf is in the leak too, I'm excited. At this point once Wolf gets in I'll be much more excepting of new characters.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Normally I would not have been happy with Metal Mario, but since Wolf is in the leak too, I'm excited. At this point once Wolf gets in I'll be much more excepting of new characters.
Its not really a leak as there is literally no evidence to this being true. I can do the same thing as I have done tons of times on this thread.

Super Saiyan Pichu confirmed. Sakamoto told me so.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman

Hey, what's wrong with Ryu and Shulk?

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman

Sorry but this argument is flawed, because all the characters mentioned besides Ryu are Nintendo, and most of them can be considered more important than Shovel Knight regardless, or have other circumstances justifying them.

:4greninja:It's from Pokémon, the second most successful videogame franchise ever. This alone justifies it. He's also a starter Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y, which can be considered a milestone in the series because they are the first title with a 3D graphic and the debut of Mega Evolutions.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:Come from Wii Fit, an highly succesful series of games that helped Nintendo to dominate the competition in terms of sales for a long time during the last gen and arguably were the pioneers of a new genre, fitness videogames. Think of them as the Mr. Game & Watch of modern era.
:4robinm::4robinf:Awakening has been the most successful Fire Emblem game so far. In fact, its success is what prevented the series from going on hiatus. Bonus points from being an embodiment of resource managing, an important concept in the series.
:4palutena:Comes from the revival of an appreciated retro game, and has been one of the most requested characters worldwide prior of the release of the game. Also, you know, she's a character from a game created by Sakurai, so there is also a bit of personal bias kicking in :p
:4feroy:Melee veteran. His appearence in that game alongside Marth has brought interest in Western fans for Fire Emblem, resulting into the release of the series overseas, so yeah, he can be considered a milestone character for the series.
:4shulk:You know, he could actually be comparable to Shovel Knight... if Xenoblade wasn't a Nintendo game.
:4lucina::4darkpit:Easy last minute clones that are literally here because they had extra development time that couldn't be used for anything else. Being characters from FE: Awakening and KI: Uprising respectively, most of the points made for Robin and Palutena also apply.

Last but definitely not least:4ryu:: seriously if it wasn't for him and his series, Smash and the fighting game genre as a whole as we know it wouldn't exist. Street Fighter II has also been one of the most successful games on SNES, second only to Super Mario World if we sum up the sales of all its various edition. His series is fondly appreciated even today, and hasn't stopped supporting Nintendo(SF IV came on the 3DS). Seriously, he's a titan of gaming and pop culture in general; most characters on the roster aside from Mario, Link, Pikachu and Donkey Kong can't even hold a candle to him. If anything, he set the bar for third parties much higher, not lower.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
To reply to the two responses to my previous post:

:4ryu: simply lacks the 'Nintendo all stars' status just as Shovel Knight does. I do recognize his significance and the significance of his series.
:4shulk: Also lacks the 'all star' status. He's from one game and while the game was highly praised, to my understanding, it sold like **** at first due to a low number of copies made. This is slightly remedied by the version made for the new 3DS but again, he's from 1 game and isn't even made by Nintendo.
:4greninja: Has no significance to the Pokemon series. They just needed a gen VI Pokemon because it's recent. :4pikachu: is the mascot, :4charizard: and :4mewtwo: have years of popularity, :4lucario: was the poster boy for gen IV and...you've got me with :4jigglypuff:. I know she was popular in Japan during the time of 64, not sure if that's still the case and she's in thanks to 64 veteran status.
:4wiifit: From two games and ones made by Nintendo so a bit better than Shulk. Don't know if I'd call them 'all stars' though. Most people seem to agree that they were added for their wtf value rather than their significance to Nintendo.
:4robinm::4robinf::4lucina: Only in because Awakening sold well! :4marth: was the first, :4myfriends: is the only lord other than Marth to get two games and was the first to appear in 3D, also had the most indepth story (Thank you Radiant Dawn). If Awakening sold like **** there'd be no Robin or Lucina.
:4palutena: No one gave two ****s for her (or Pit for that matter) until Uprising (or Brawl in Pit's case) came out. Pit was fine in Brawl since he added to the 'retro quota', similar reason why I didn't say Duck Hunt lowered the bar. If Uprising sold like **** we'd have no Palutena most likely. Could always be wrong though since she at least appeared before Uprising was a thing.
:4feroy: Was in Melee for advertising purposes and has no outstanding significance to the FE series to my understanding. Only has veteran status going for him.
:4darkpit: Same problem as Palutena but made even worse since he's from one recent game that sold well. Similar to the new FE characters.

Now, I should clarify something: I'm fine with all of these characters being in Sm4sh. I use a few of them and aside from the clones, they add unique gameplay styles. The clones were added in as last minute additions (although I consider their reasoning BS but that's another topic entirely). However, if you've noticed, a good amount of those characters were added, not because of any sort of significance to Nintendo but because of very recent popularity. High sales are important, but compare all of the 'recent high sale' characters to every other newcomer that was added in Melee or Brawl. No character before in the series was added simply because of recent popularity, they all had some sort of significance in the past.

I'll also mention that I know significance isn't a requirement for being in Smash, this game CLEARLY shows that. But it's because of that exactly that I say Shovel Knight actually has a chance. 1 game? :4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4ness:(lol):4alph:(lol again):4robinm::4robinf::4feroy::4shulk:. Not Nintendo exclusive? :4ryu::4sonic:. Recent popularity? :4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4palutena::4robinm::4robinf::rosalina::4shulk:. Yeah, I'd say Shovel Knight has a fair enough chance.

To keep this kinda thing on topic, compare all of this to Wolf, a character with veteran status, appears in numerous games and is not some insignificant in the games he's in (namely Assault) and yet he's not here. Oh, if only there was a recent successful Starfox game at the time Sm4sh came out. Wolf would have been a shoe in along with a newcomer from Starfox. Brawl added most of the significant characters in Nintendo's history and Sm4sh has shown that inclusion is now a popularity contest.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
To reply to the two responses to my previous post:

:4ryu: simply lacks the 'Nintendo all stars' status just as Shovel Knight does. I do recognize his significance and the significance of his series.
:4shulk: Also lacks the 'all star' status. He's from one game and while the game was highly praised, to my understanding, it sold like **** at first due to a low number of copies made. This is slightly remedied by the version made for the new 3DS but again, he's from 1 game and isn't even made by Nintendo.
:4greninja: Has no significance to the Pokemon series. They just needed a gen VI Pokemon because it's recent. :4pikachu: is the mascot, :4charizard: and :4mewtwo: have years of popularity, :4lucario: was the poster boy for gen IV and...you've got me with :4jigglypuff:. I know she was popular in Japan during the time of 64, not sure if that's still the case and she's in thanks to 64 veteran status.
:4wiifit: From two games and ones made by Nintendo so a bit better than Shulk. Don't know if I'd call them 'all stars' though. Most people seem to agree that they were added for their wtf value rather than their significance to Nintendo.
:4robinm::4robinf::4lucina: Only in because Awakening sold well! :4marth: was the first, :4myfriends: is the only lord other than Marth to get two games and was the first to appear in 3D, also had the most indepth story (Thank you Radiant Dawn). If Awakening sold like **** there'd be no Robin or Lucina.
:4palutena: No one gave two ****s for her (or Pit for that matter) until Uprising (or Brawl in Pit's case) came out. Pit was fine in Brawl since he added to the 'retro quota', similar reason why I didn't say Duck Hunt lowered the bar. If Uprising sold like **** we'd have no Palutena most likely. Could always be wrong though since she at least appeared before Uprising was a thing.
:4feroy: Was in Melee for advertising purposes and has no outstanding significance to the FE series to my understanding. Only has veteran status going for him.
:4darkpit: Same problem as Palutena but made even worse since he's from one recent game that sold well. Similar to the new FE characters.

Now, I should clarify something: I'm fine with all of these characters being in Sm4sh. I use a few of them and aside from the clones, they add unique gameplay styles. The clones were added in as last minute additions (although I consider their reasoning BS but that's another topic entirely). However, if you've noticed, a good amount of those characters were added, not because of any sort of significance to Nintendo but because of very recent popularity. High sales are important, but compare all of the 'recent high sale' characters to every other newcomer that was added in Melee or Brawl. No character before in the series was added simply because of recent popularity, they all had some sort of significance in the past.

I'll also mention that I know significance isn't a requirement for being in Smash, this game CLEARLY shows that. But it's because of that exactly that I say Shovel Knight actually has a chance. 1 game? :4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4ness:(lol):4alph:(lol again):4robinm::4robinf::4feroy::4shulk:. Not Nintendo exclusive? :4ryu::4sonic:. Recent popularity? :4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4palutena::4robinm::4robinf::rosalina::4shulk:. Yeah, I'd say Shovel Knight has a fair enough chance.

To keep this kinda thing on topic, compare all of this to Wolf, a character with veteran status, appears in numerous games and is not some insignificant in the games he's in (namely Assault) and yet he's not here. Oh, if only there was a recent successful Starfox game at the time Sm4sh came out. Wolf would have been a shoe in along with a newcomer from Starfox. Brawl added most of the significant characters in Nintendo's history and Sm4sh has shown that inclusion is now a popularity contest.
smash bros has done those things since melee.
:sheikmelee::younglinkmelee: We're there just because of the popularity and recently of ocarina of time, :roymelee: was there because of an upcoming game, :pichumelee: was there to represent gen 2, :lucas: was there because mother 3 was recent, :ike: only had one game during the beginning of brawl's development, :toonlink: was there because of wind waker.
If they limit the roster to only characters that are old and apeared in a large amount of games the game won't have as much diversity and will probably need to reach to really obscure characters to get newcomers by now

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
smash bros has done those things since melee.
:sheikmelee::younglinkmelee: We're there just because of the popularity and recently of ocarina of time, :roymelee: was there because of an upcoming game, :pichumelee: was there to represent gen 2, :lucas: was there because mother 3 was recent, :ike: only had one game during the beginning of brawl's development, :toonlink: was there because of wind waker.
If they limit the roster to only characters that are old and apeared in a large amount of games the game won't have as much diversity and will probably need to reach to really obscure characters to get newcomers by now
It becomes subjective of what counts as 'recent popularity'. OoT came out 1998 with Melee coming out in 2001 while KI:U came out in 2012 and Sm4sh in 2014. A mere one year difference. YL I'll admit was possibly added due to popularity but him along with many of the characters in that game were added because clones are easier to make than original characters. Roy, I already touched upon before. Pichu, same as YL and I believe it was one of the 'poster' Pokemon for gen II much like Lucario for gen IV. Lucas I'll give ya with Mother 3 coming out in 2006 and Brawl coming out in 2008. Ike's second game was thought of well ahead of time so while he only had 1 game, the second was already in mind and being worked on. Toon Link because of WW? I suppose. If YL was in another game after OoT/MM then I can imagine he would have stayed rather than have Toon replace him.

Still, that leaves 6 characters added to Sm4sh due to popularity while Melee has 4 at most and debatable at that and Brawl with a debatable 3. Again, all very subjective though I'll concede my ignorance.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
You can't be serious.

Squirtle? Over Ivysaur or Pichu? One who is a grass type and one who actually has more votes in Japan (Ivy and Pichu respectively)

AND METAL MARIO!?

Metal Mario. That would be the single dumbest DLC idea ever and Sakurai would have to be on some sort of Martian heroine to do something like that. I think the only thing worse is Jumpman for DLC. It's basically Mario with a Metal Box item which we already have right now.
r/smashbros,they want Squirtle and Ivysaur to return with Wolf or Snake

Also,rumor says that New DLC will come on the 13th or 16th,Brace yourselves

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Those two rumors are basically based on patterns. Sep 13 is based on the 1st anniversary of the release of this game, and Sep 16 is based on the day gaps between updates (which has been consistently 47 days since the first DLC pack)

We won't know if these patterns (or just... a simple anniversary date) will break, but eh. We'll just see.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
GUYS RUMOUR

New characters:
Shrek
Paul Blart
Etika
Andre from GameXplain
Cory Baxter

New stages:
Shrek's Swamp
Burlington Mall