• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cancel aerial landinglag if aerial is almost finished (but not completely) with B moves

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Also if this doesnt apply to DK whats happening in that video? He even has that weird down b thing too.
Hm, actually it looks like he has IASA exactly one frame before AC. It's almost impossible to reproduce outside of SH fair on BF platform. Logically, a one-frame window means that early aerial options are impossible; this only applies to specials done while landing on this exact frame.

This is weird, and doesn't seem very significant. I'm pretty sure it really is exactly 1 frame.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We need a central thread dedicated to IASA > AC stuff (also covering the whole airdodge cancelling thing) I'd say.
Would I bring wrong that they're essentially one in the same? Can Ganon cancel air dodge landings with "grounded" specials?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
We need a central thread dedicated to IASA > AC stuff (also covering the whole airdodge cancelling thing) I'd say.
Would I bring wrong that they're essentially one in the same? Can Ganon cancel air dodge landings with "grounded" specials?
Yes, they are the same, and yes, he can.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Hm, actually it looks like he has IASA exactly one frame before AC. It's almost impossible to reproduce outside of SH fair on BF platform. Logically, a one-frame window means that early aerial options are impossible; this only applies to specials done while landing on this exact frame.

This is weird, and doesn't seem very significant. I'm pretty sure it really is exactly 1 frame.
Interesting cool.

Also it would be cool to know the answer to this, is there a way to pass through platforms during the attack animation/iasa/AC frames? I feel like in brawl you could lightly hold down to do this during an attack, but I cant remember and Im not sure if it was only possible during certain parts of those animations or if im just completely remembering wrong and you couldnt pass through a platform until an aerial completely ended. I tried different ways in melee and it doesnt seem possible.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Interesting cool.

Also it would be cool to know the answer to this, is there a way to pass through platforms during the animation/iasa/AC frames? I feel like in brawl you could lightly hold down to do this during an attack, but I cant remember and Im not sure if it was only possible during certain parts of those animations or if im just completely remembering wrong and you couldnt pass through a platform until an aerial completely ended.
I don't think you could.

Shaya, I can format and polish stuff from this thread and the air dodge one into a new thread, but I'd prefer testing of various moves to be comprehensive before we present anything as a resource.

For example, DK's 1-frame window slipped by me. Even though there was a video on it!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Having a concise definition of it "all" while also describing the universal usage of it (air dodging) would still be a great resource.
I'm not sure if we even have a list of moves which have auto cancels in their early frames, so much like finding moves which have IASA > ACs I think its a matter off hints/clues/community contribution -> confirmations.

Are we sure that all specials act like this (air->ground transitions working as if grounded... mac's super punch is probably a good example that in the air doesn't dash)? Are we sure specials act like this if they attempt to do so past AC frames (wouldn't that be a twist)?

This is probably one of those amazing opportunities where we could ship out an actual proper definition of auto cancelling (you know, one that isn't a misnomer/synonymous with "low landing lag") to the masses!

:)

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
All special inputs do the grounded version if on the ground. Ganon, with 2 specials with obvious air/ground differences, is the poster child for this behavior.

I'm skeptical we can uproot the misleading "AC" term, as nice as that would be. People are used to "doing an aerial without landing lag" as a simple verb.

Most aerials "auto-cancel in their early frames." Here are the only moves in Brawl that DID NOT "early AC":
  • Falcon uair
  • DK fair
  • Fox fair
  • Ganon uair
  • Link fair + bair
  • Marth fair
  • Pikachu nair + dair
  • Pit fair + bair
  • Ivysaur uair
  • ROB everything
  • Samus fair
  • Sonic nair
  • ZSS uair
  • Toon Link fair + bair
  • Wolf fair
  • Zelda dair
This list is exhaustive, I checked everyone's files just now.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah I was about to say. I knew Marth fair in Brawl couldn't AC from frame 1 of it.

I believe all of Marth's aerials in this turn off AC prior to their hitboxes coming out, I think I saw uair and nair have ACs on frame 1 landings, but not fair, bair or dair.

Doval

Smash Lord
I don't think you could
Maybe it changed. I just realized Mega Man's up tilt is an extreme case of this. If you fall off the ground you used it on it has IASA shortly after you pass ground level, but the autocancel takes ludicrous amounts of time. If you do it off the top of Tomodachi Life you have to fall below the edge and double jump into the stage to autocancel it.

I bring this up because you can pass through platforms after Mega Upper's IASA. Strangely, you can't fastfall until shortly before the autocancel frame.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Just found another easy use:

Bowser:
- if you short hop (and immediately) airdodge, Bowser will normally land with the airdodge lag, and you can't interrupt with jump/attacks, but you can use B moves while landing

Edit:

Semifer found another one of these easy to use ones:

Roys fulljump immediate fair landinglag onto the Smashville platform can be cancelled with specials.

Last edited:
Top Bottom