• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canadian Salt Spill - Tool Link+

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
If anybody's interested in seeing my TL+ in tourney, I only have one set of mine up right now. The other sets are still being uploaded. But I definately reccomend watching the first 10 seconds of the second match, even if he could've escaped it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4HueA7wWl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgAqu_g3LE8

I'm not that good though.

Also,

that wasnt even worth using, you cant realistically gimp people with it.
What?... Yes you could @_@, you can catch a Falco's whiffed grab attempt, Dsmash gimp, turn around shoot an arrow at his illusion, and it sets up for the easy Fire Bird edgeguard, whether it be tether guard or spike. The Dsmash gimp definately was useful, though it shouldn't be relied upon.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Needs MORE bombs. Everytime I see a TL+ thats what I always say :(.
...no you don't? <_<

What?... Yes you could @_@, you can catch a Falco's whiffed grab attempt, Dsmash gimp, turn around shoot an arrow at his illusion, and it sets up for the easy Fire Bird edgeguard, whether it be tether guard or spike. The Dsmash gimp definately was useful, though it shouldn't be relied upon.
Falco is not gonna fish for grabs unless you come to him, which means there's no way to use such a telegraphed move on them since they'd expect it if they knew the match-up.

Also you'd always have to face away from the edge, meaning for it to be a guaranteed gimp you'd be putting yourself in a disadvantage.

The glitch was virtually useless considering the move itself was worthless. Is the glitch useful? Well obviously, but not feasible in terms of viability. There are better options than trying to fish for something so obvious, unless you're facing Olimar which would be the only reason you'd die for that gimp.

Also leaving glitches like that in a game that's being "fixed" is stupid. <_<

always thought TL was one of the most underrated characters in vbrawl and brawl+, great ariel game, priority, decent recovery, decent kill moves, great combo potential, the best camping game ever...time will tell lol
His priority isn't good lol. I'm serious. It's not. Not Falcon bad, not Wolf bad either, but it clanks with dumb stuff like Falco's tilts and ****.

Kill moves are horrendous. Mediocre knockback aimed with difficulty in landing them = bad.

Combo potential is good, but could be better. Comboing for damage < comboing for the kill.

Best camping game? Hardly. The most versatile =/= the best. Falco is the best due to his ability to consistently reset to "neutral" (which is advantageous for him). Once you corner Toon Link he'll be hard-pressed to get out since he lacks an effective GTFO move. His best GTFO move is jab which comes out on frame 6.

I know a lot of TL mains think he's vastly underrated and better than what he's perceived as, but really if you take player skill out and analyze purely his moveset, he's mediocre. I also know a lot of people disagree with me in regards to that, but w/e. Good players who judge their character by adding their skill in and the *potential* ignorance of other players (honestly, you're gonna **** if someone doesn't know the match-up unless they use a counter) offer false hope. =/

TL;DR: TL is mediocre. Good player =/= good character.

Taj knows where it's at. =)

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Falco is not gonna fish for grabs unless you come to him, which means there's no way to use such a telegraphed move on them since they'd expect it if they knew the match-up.

Also you'd always have to face away from the edge, meaning for it to be a guaranteed gimp you'd be putting yourself in a disadvantage.

The glitch was virtually useless considering the move itself was worthless. Is the glitch useful? Well obviously, but not feasible in terms of viability. There are better options than trying to fish for something so obvious, unless you're facing Olimar which would be the only reason you'd die for that gimp.

Also leaving glitches like that in a game that's being "fixed" is stupid. <_<
Which is why I added the "it's not something to be relied on but it is useful" part, rather than just saying it's completely useless. Situational would've been the word I was fishing for.

and I know leaving such a glitch in here would be stupid =o, I'm not saying otherwise.

I still don't find his Dsmash to be worth much use in B+, but having more kill options definately helps...

On a side note, VietGeek would you be interested in coming to the next Brawl+ monthly at the BatGG? It's fun here =)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
i'm working on toon link, tweaking the dsmash to have more base, kill later (lower growth), polishing it and whatnot.

thinking of making Uthrow useful. Bthrow is a tech chase. Dthrow is too susceptible to DI but its fine. Making uthrow significantly more useful for grab to kill mix-ups would be fair, yes or no?

zaf

Smash Lord
Which is why I added the "it's not something to be relied on but it is useful" part, rather than just saying it's completely useless. Situational would've been the word I was fishing for.

and I know leaving such a glitch in here would be stupid =o, I'm not saying otherwise.

I still don't find his Dsmash to be worth much use in B+, but having more kill options definately helps...

On a side note, VietGeek would you be interested in coming to the next Brawl+ monthly at the BatGG? It's fun here =)
dsmash is amazing for edge guarding. learn to pivot slide into dsmash is all im saying ;)

~~~

viet, i agree with you that toon link is mediocre. I realise this after playing with him so long. vs some characters you can feel useless with the moveset. thats when you need to out play your opponent. its the player who is winnning, not their character.

matt4300

Smash Ace
i'm working on toon link, tweaking the dsmash to have more base, kill later (lower growth), polishing it and whatnot.

thinking of making Uthrow useful. Bthrow is a tech chase. Dthrow is too susceptible to DI but its fine. Making uthrow significantly more useful for grab to kill mix-ups would be fair, yes or no?
Heres the opinion of someone who doenst main Tlink but does fight him a good bit about the uthrow...

Tlink is soposed to have a hard time killing or atleast relatively... Giveing him a high percent gaurenteed uair or usmash set up would be borked all to ****.
There are VERY few chars that have a kill setup from a grab at high percents, and Tlink is already one of the better chars in the game. Its super unnecessary.

zaf

Smash Lord
use spin attack for people who roll lol, dsmash is better, but spin attack last longer, might catch someone off guard. i try it like 1 out of 10 matches

dudes, do any of you make textures here? can someone do a deku link from majoras mask for toon link plx?

zaf

Smash Lord
what do you guys think of this idea? listen in viet,

would it be a good idea or bad/broken idea to remove the animations of toon link after he shoots an arrow?
He would be able to shoot an arrow, and follow it. I don't think it would be a bad idea at all, we should at least give it a try no? It would give toon link a bit more of an edge. If you think about it Mario can do this, he can shoot fireballs while sh approaching.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace

As already mentioned I wouldn't advise having Uthrow setup kills. It's a cool idea to tinker around with, but as horrible as Uthrow is I think it's fine for now. Fine as in, no real need to tinker with it, some moves will just be useless.

A Bthrow tech chase would be beast, my only wonderance is how would this affects Bthrowing people off the stage. I'm not too familiar with coding or anything like that but I'll used Balanced Brawl as an example, they made D3's Dthrow to where it ends up being as a tech chase for everybody, but when Dthrowing off the stage it setup the opponent for a guaranteed swallowcide, because it would send them so low below the stage. and at certain percents I think it would actually act as a Meteor. Will that problem exist here?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Oh, I meant Bthrow was already a tech chase since it flops the opponent downwards.

Although with the lag coupled on it and how far they're sent away...I wonder how effective it really is.

I'm thinking of just making Uthrow have a lower IASA, so then TL can have two useful combo throws which plays off that combo strength of his.

I don't know how to give the bow animation specifically less lag (like in a manner that doesn't involve me guessing that it wouldn't be broken). You technically can already do this with 1 SH arrow -> dash.

There doesn't seem to be a lot to do with TL atm. I'm thinking of redoing his physics, so that he can still do all that SHDA and Battlechrist, double bairs, etc. but with less floaty physics.

Which means a less bogus FF speed, since right now his B+ fastfall looks very...out-of-character. If I can polish the physics up without losing any useful BnB stuff, that'd be cool since right now some people say he looks like he's swimming in molasses. =<

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Oh, I meant Bthrow was already a tech chase since it flops the opponent downwards.

Although with the lag coupled on it and how far they're sent away...I wonder how effective it really is.

I'm thinking of just making Uthrow have a lower IASA, so then TL can have two useful combo throws which plays off that combo strength of his.
To experiment with Bthrow, if you can, one could tweak it's knockback to low enough where it's actually... chaseable, I doubt anybody even uses it for it's knockback at all. Though I'm a bit biased, I just really like tech chases.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Alright, some stuff for you guys to test. And please do so...since I need feedback. I used to just talk to myself, but this place got livelier rather recently. =V

First off, the downloads, then the explanation:

Codeset Download w/ TL's "new" physics
Toon Link PSA .pac with some hitbox stuff

Physics:

Which means:

(Stats are in ratio to Toon Link's original value 1. So a shorthop value 1.025 for Marth, and the same number for Toon Link, are different)

Short Hop: 1.050
Full Hop: 1.025
Fast Fall: 1.125
Down Gravity: 1.050
Gravity: 1.075

This feels really nice imo. The shorthop had to be higher so you can still:

- SHDA
- Battlechrist trick
- Bomb > arrow (forward and backwards; although it seems backwards timing is stricter; if you do it too slow you'll do a BT [Battlechrist trick] instead)
- Fair/Bair/Nair > arrow (any direction, inputs seem to be the same)
- Double bair
- SH Bair > nair
- Bomb throw > hookshot

and I think that's all the useful double aerial stuff. Basically, I had in mind to keep all the camping and bread-and-butter stuff TL's metagame is founded on. But I made him less floaty and seem more solid, instead of swimming in molasses.

The good part of this is that I was able to lower his fast fall. Meaning his fastfall won't seem INCREDIBLY faster in comparison to how he normally falls.

The increase in fullhop is unnecessary, I can tweak this easily knowing it won't affect anything else.

The gravity values are pretty much in stone though; unless you guys want to sacrifice shorthop...or make him really floaty again (>_>).

So yeah...just try it!

Note: Dgrav + Grav = full gravity so to speak. TL's UpB recovery may be nerfed. I can fix this like the WBR did for Link's UpB buff, but I don't know how yet. It doesn't seem to be nerfed that much though.

Or at least I really did not notice any change. His recovery still goes REALLY high for me.

Also gravity affects perceived hitstun. Like you know how Luigi doesn't have a lot of hitstun, but Falcon does? It's because of their physics. There's currently no fix for this if Toon Link DOES start being easier to combo, but I doubt he is.

If you really feel like he's getting comboed easier, feel free to tell me.

Now for hitbox stuff, which is pretty much self-explanatory over the physics junk.

Code:
[B]Dsmash rework[/B]
All hitboxes except Hitbox 5 (ID: 4) 

Dmg: 13 (1st hit)
KBG: 70 (46)
BKB: 45 (2D)
Trajectory: 40

Hitbox 5 (ID: 4) 

Dmg: 15 (blunt hit) - you literally have to be on top of them <_<
KBG: 85
BKB: 45
Trajectory: 35

All backswing hitboxes 

Dmg: 11 (2nd hit)
KBG: 83
BKB: 47
Trajectory: 35

- This makes the Dsmash less ridiculous (except for the blunt front hit). It still sets up fairly well and will probably kill well near the ledge.
Code:
All 1st hit fsmash hbes are Special Offensive Collision (No reversible KB)

- You know when you walk or dash to someone and fsmash, and they suddenly jerk the opposite direction? Yeah, this is suppose to fix that.
Code:
Uthrow:

IASA 39 from 49 (was meant to be so it could be more useful, but it's still worthless. I'm gonna have to mess with the knockback to make it a good combo move)
Feedback please! =D

Also suggestions for things I will try to do...if possible:

- Zaf: Add IASA to arrows so you can trail behind them (you can do this with 1 SH arrow already though, albeit it kinda sucks though lol).

- PoS: Make Bthrow more tech-chasy.

- Skip: If dair hits, allow you to interrupt it (IASA) to any other move but dair. This seems the easiest to program aside from the Bthrow thing, but it still looks complicated imo. At least working fully and stuff. @_@

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
I don't know, I actually like the molasses fall. It makes him seem like he's a very light character. But I'll test this out before I rant on on how "YOU RUINED TOON LINKE BLAAOIDSHNFAUDHF;AKNSE;FIOHND".

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
id love to try but @ smashfest we usually just play the most recent build (usually test build). :( also, as cool as having a moving spin attack sounds, itd probably make my oh-so-technical flashy stuff go away (upb ledge cancel) :p

iLink

Smash Champion
I actually like his swimming in molasses but I'll try this out right now and give you what I think.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
So...

what did I break? <_<
YOU BROKE EVERYTHING ON TOON LINK!!!!11!!!!1one I HATE YOU!!!

MI-MI-MIKURU BEAM!!!

Seriously though, he doesn't feel too different. You can feel the gravity difference and it feels nearly natural but it kinda breaks some aerial combos. My favorite was B-Air>B-Air>B-Air>B-Air>Spin Attack but now the Spin Attack doesn't KO at the ceiling.

iLink

Smash Champion
Well what I liked before was being able to just kind of hang in the air for a bit with the possibility of doing an aerial.

After trying this test physics for a bit, i just fault like I was actually using more attacks in general to pressure instead of making them guess if I was going to attack or not.

I kinda have mixed feelings about it.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
Well what I liked before was being able to just kind of hang in the air for a bit with the possibility of doing an aerial.

After trying this test physics for a bit, i just fault like I was actually using more attacks in general to pressure instead of making them guess if I was going to attack or not.

I kinda have mixed feelings about it.
Same here man. I'm having mixed feelings about it. It feels right but it doesn't feel like Toon Link. :confused:

VietGeek

Smash Hero
YOU BROKE EVERYTHING ON TOON LINK!!!!11!!!!1one I HATE YOU!!!

MI-MI-MIKURU BEAM!!!

Seriously though, he doesn't feel too different. You can feel the gravity difference and it feels nearly natural but it kinda breaks some aerial combos. My favorite was B-Air>B-Air>B-Air>B-Air>Spin Attack but now the Spin Attack doesn't KO at the ceiling.
But I tried that combo and it worked for me. ;_;

You're just doing it wrong!

Not to mention that combo still blows major *** get more srs plz :mad:

Err...excuse me. <.<

Anything else? =D

Later in the day I might explain WHY I thought the change was necessary. I guess the "half of TL's physics are still exactly like vBrawl's, so he's even floatier in comparison to the rest of the cast with a ****ed up fastfall to compensate" isn't a good reason.

So yeah...I'll try to justify it seeing as I am trying to bring about the change.

In the meantime, play with it some more. You may...start to like it then. <_<

Thank me for not making TL another Roy. It was tempting. =V

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
But I tried that combo and it worked for me. ;_;
The combo works but were you still able to KO with it? I'm unable to unless I'm in a low ceiling stage like Warioware which doesn't count. >.>

Not to mention that combo still blows major *** get more srs plz :mad:
But that combo is fun. :(

Err...excuse me. <.<

Anything else? =D

Later in the day I might explain WHY I thought the change was necessary. I guess the "half of TL's physics are still exactly like vBrawl's, so he's even floatier in comparison to the rest of the cast with a ****ed up fastfall to compensate" isn't a good reason.

So yeah...I'll try to justify it seeing as I am trying to bring about the change.

In the meantime, play with it some more. You may...start to like it then. <_<

Thank me for not making TL another Roy. It was tempting. =V
We'll see. I need to keep playing around with it to completely make up my mind with it. Not to mention a duck.

And why make TL like Roy? Roy is suppose to be the manlier version of Marth and I don't think you can get any manlier than TP Link.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I was able to do it on FD by doing a fullhop, then conserving the DJ for the SA.

If the problem is how high the UpB goes, like I said, move-specific gravity seems to be possible and I'll use it to fix TL's UpB.

Anyway, here's a quick painless version of what I wanted to say...I think <_<:

TL is a hit and run character in the literal sense of the term. He literally does a lot of running away, he depends on the air for his tactics but he needs ground to fall on to refresh his jumps.

His aerial mobility is mediocre, tying with Ike of all people. Therefore he can't be like Jigglypuff and float about with the potential to hit. He lacks the range or power to do so. People WILL risk trading hits with you, and MOST of the time, you WILL get the shorter end of the stick.

So it's important that you can get your *** down if you're getting pressured from above. His official B+ physics have a really high fastfall for this purpose.

However, we must ask, IS Toon Link Jigglypuff? WHY should he be as floaty as Jiggs? If you still play vBrawl (I don't), you'll know TL feels he's kinda in the middle between "heavy" of vB and "light" of vB. In B+ he looks like he's a feather even though he's not even known for weaving or spacing with aerials.

Plus unlike Marth, which has commitment lag on his aerials, but has power, speed, and above average range (or if we were still talking Melee, SUPERIOR range) alongside it, making it so the risks he takes are worth it. Especially true with the unpolished shieldstun currently in the game (tipped frame traps ;( ). TL only has speed, but his attacks have roughly the same commitment lag but lack in all other areas.

It's not what he's good for, the physics were unpolished and made to cater to a type of play TL isn't specifically good at. Sure you can do combos like bair > spin attack, but even if it's not a legit combo anymore, who cares? If you lose one situational aspect, but gain more commonplace ones, it's a small loss for a big gain. Plus, you can still bair, DJ and bait with say a bair, get the read and SA, or pull out the uair and follow their airdodge.

But yeah, if UpB height is the problem, it can be fixed.

He isn't made to be 'elegant.' He is made to play dirty, play like a ***, and be as obnoxious as a little kid with a new toy when he gets the opening. =V

Oh, and Dema, I meant that I love Roy-esque physics, and if it weren't for the fact that it ***** recoveries, I feel it flows really well with a lot of the characters. If TL had no projectiles I'd give him Roy-esque physics as they'd make stuff like nair and stuff safer cuz the ALR is less than normal air winddown.

ill try testing the .pac when i get home tonight. ill give feedback then
Cool beans, I'll be waiting. =V

iLink

Smash Champion
Well after a while I got used to not being as floaty but I sometimes misjudged the height of the upb because I expected it to go a little high.

zaf

Smash Lord
i agree with you viet, toon link isnt suppose to be floaty and i hated him in vbrawl for it. Toon link isn't a power house so you cant just rush down people as much as you want. Like you said he has to hit and run. I can still only check your pac once i get home, but i am looking forward to it.

Ive noticed a lot of them time, that when i am overly agressive, my moveset fails for me and the other person wins because their moveset is superior. I've gotten over the fact that toon link isnt the best character in the game, mainly because of his moveset and lack of range. Hopefully i will like the pac and maybe it can make toon link slightly better without breaking him.

People, seriously try the new pac, and stop complaining about bair > upb. It might be fun to use, but it doesnt kill. there are better ways to kill. Why would you even bother to upb, if you could uair? I know you would need a jump to uair on them, but save a jump for the uair or just fall back to the ground and harass them while they are in the air still.

viet, i like to approach with a sh arrow because it can lead into jab > grab or just a grab anyways. But if shda works with your pac i will probably use it. what buffer do you play on? and say this pac you made is actually better then 4.3 labeled as 5.0, how can we make it in the next build?

edit: i hate floaty chars. characters like marth and etc i prefer. **** i wanna try the new pac

zaf

Smash Lord
can anything about the boomerang be done? It takes forever to come out. I sometimes find myself in trouble when the enemy is too close and it comes out whether i did it on accident or not.

Also, can something be done about its return? There have been a few times when bull**** has happened.
Example 1: I shoot the boomerang, my opponent dodges, we both move around -- i catch a spot dodge or airdodge and go in for a kill move but the boomerang is on its return by now and stops any move from coming out.

Jer

Smash Ace
But bair upB is good zaf, get with the program.

I don't think anything could be done about the return, because it's an animation, please correct me if i'm wrong about that.

Spacing is like Key with TL, and zaf can do this, he'll be testing the .pac with me tonight, and i'm sure it's gunna be sex as hell :)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Eh, specials look really hard to change zaf. I'm not experienced enough to go about changing things like that unless it's something really obvious. I'll poke around with it.

I play with 80 buffer. Unfortunately it looks like anyone who likes to play with 7-8 buffer will have slightly stricter timing on Battlechrist trick and SHDA. Anyone below that 70-80 handicap range...I don't know. <_<

But physics feel pretty good, although I too haven't exactly gotten completely used to him.

oh and zaf, don't forget to use the custom codeset I linked to as well. The .pac only handles the hitbox stuff, the .gct holds the "new" physics.

zaf

Smash Lord
But bair upB is good zaf, get with the program.

I don't think anything could be done about the return, because it's an animation, please correct me if i'm wrong about that.

Spacing is like Key with TL, and zaf can do this, he'll be testing the .pac with me tonight, and i'm sure it's gunna be sex as hell :)
i think that if the return of the boomerang was fixed it might be broken, but what other character has 2 delays after using a projectile? =/
granted, it does come back and has a second chance of hitting your opponent but your opponent also knows that you are vulernable in a matter of seconds

zaf

Smash Lord
Eh, specials look really hard to change zaf. I'm not experienced enough to go about changing things like that unless it's something really obvious. I'll poke around with it.

I play with 80 buffer. Unfortunately it looks like anyone who likes to play with 7-8 buffer will have slightly stricter timing on Battlechrist trick and SHDA. Anyone below that 70-80 handicap range...I don't know. <_<

But physics feel pretty good, although I too haven't exactly gotten completely used to him.

oh and zaf, don't forget to use the custom codeset I linked to as well. The .pac only handles the hitbox stuff, the .gct holds the "new" physics.
its cool for the specials. not a problem, just wont use boomerang as often as id like.
I play with 100% buffer. and i have been able to do sh aerials with a canceled arrow landing the whole time. I need to see how exactly the physics change, maybe i can figure some new things out. my gf is sick and im at her place taking care of her, do want mah wiiiii

iLink

Smash Champion
I play with 80 handicap and the SHDA did seem to be stricter but I was able to pull it off most of the time. The only thing that still seems to bother me is his upb xD

Top Bottom