• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canadian Salt Spill - Tool Link+

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
nair>arrow>(miss tech)>(forced standup from arrow)>grab>preferably dthrow>tech chase is pretty beasty >_>

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
nair>arrow>(miss tech)>(forced standup from arrow)>grab>preferably dthrow>tech chase is pretty beasty >_>
You got my attention, I'll try that once I get some people over to play.

Whats considered the best counter pick stage for TL? I'm thinking Wario ware and Japes.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Arrows always sucked though (unless it's to **** phantasm recoveries), and as projectiles they take a backseat to moves that are lackluster AND require commitment (since none of TL's attacks are safe on block and typically all run the risk of getting punished severely aside from maybe...zair and bair?).

Projectiles require commitment but only at your dictation since you can use them whenever knowing their lengths and the risk you run if they don't swat your foe away as you want them to.

Dsmash is easily techable, weaker than Usmash, and has a larger DI window on the second hit due to its angle.

Plus it's still glitchy despite the fact that shanus tried to patch it up. If it becomes YL dsmash we can get rid of all the glitches and make it a decent option for the risks he takes to use it. Plus no moves combo into it, so I'd say that it has roughly no uses aside from trying to relieve shield pressure...and of course it's not good at that too.

Some people say we shouldn't fix worthless moves but eh...

also best CP for TL is probably FD or Battlefield. WarioWare works too since Uair is the stuff of amazing. =P

I know Skip's 'combo' works under the right conditions. You can also try nair > dash attack for the stand-up. I sped up dash attack so it's not worthless anymore and while not a good move by any means, gets you some damage in and forces a get-up to whatever you want.

Plus it occasionally trips.

Japes is bad imo since all of TL's best kill moves are vertical and his projectiles aren't exactly A-grade.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Lot of people in my area use Snake so I said Japes. But I shouldn't have mentioned a situational CP w/o explanation so my bad on my part.

And I was trying to say CPs, FD/BF are neutrals. I prefer BF over FD though.

Also, I like the idea of a YL Dsmash, but I can see why people would argue against it.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
i usually CP with neutrals. my fav being BF and second FD. id have to go with FD with Tink because of the large amounts of room onstage I have to enhance my camping. dash attack works, but sometimes people might tech the nair so if the tech i get a free 4% from arrow.. I still think I dash attack too often. I say dsmash sucks because it can be teched before the 2nd hit which is pretty fail. Not just that but its not even worth using since you're pretty vulnerable unlike sexy usmash. If you do hit with it though and they don't tech and don't DI, you can get a uair out of it on certain characters @ certain percents. But seriously, no DI/tech is pretty sandbaggish if you ask me. I just hope that later pivot grabs/dash grabs will be sped up. Brawl+ is just a faster game and having those slow grabs is very punishable. the standing grabs are punishable too but just not as much as pivot/dash.

edit: i can go on silven's smashfest streams and see any moments where I used tink, i'd say im pretty decent. i read techs pretty well just not sure what to do with tink as im still learning how to deal with in place techs with falcon.

edit#2: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1943762 this wasnt the best smashfest and ill also have to look @ past recordings to see if theres any of my tink there..rate me if you'd like im really considering this guy(tink)

zaf

Smash Lord
ima post my tl vids soon, whenever i get my laptop back from repairs this week. im so maining tl, i would go as far to say that he doesnt need to be fixed except for his slow grab, maybe make it faster. besides that i have no problems with him, hes a beast.

how do you guys get the kills in besides uair and usmash, when people are high percents?
i use dtilt into fait, but try getting a dtilt landed on jiggs >_>

oh and arrows are beast, way till u see how i use them, they are awesome,
try this, at low %, dtilt- sh nair ( follow the opponent) - arrow - jab cancel into grab.
whenever someone is close enough arrows into grab works,
i also always have my boomerang out, ( when im not comboing obviously) for a few reasons. one of them being, if someone hits me and starts to combo while it is still out, chances are the boomerang will knock my opponent off me and i cant be combo'd. another reason being the opponent has to dodge my boomerang on its way back and myself and the same time

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
Believe it or not, I find b-air to KO Jiggs well sometimes. With the raised angle, it can KO off the top at higher percents.

Else, stick with u-air, f-air, and u-smash...

zaf

Smash Lord
Believe it or not, I find b-air to KO Jiggs well sometimes. With the raised angle, it can KO off the top at higher percents.

Else, stick with u-air, f-air, and u-smash...
bair can kill jiggs as soon as she reaches 120% on most stages. it will always kill past 135% though.

5ive, that toon link needs to combo more. tl can easily get off like 40-50% in a combo. He also needs to use his projectiles more wisely, he gets punished way too much.
Start using dtilt pls

5ive

Smash Champion
He's the best TL in Ontario and he already screws me over with projectiles T_T.

I agree though, he needs more combos. But trust me, he ***** so hard on flat stages.

zaf

Smash Lord
He's the best TL in Ontario and he already screws me over with projectiles T_T.

I agree though, he needs more combos. But trust me, he ***** so hard on flat stages.
lol best toon link in ontario didnt kinow about dtilt lol? or do you mean only toon link in ontario. tl can screw people over way harder with his projectiles then distructo does

VietGeek

Smash Hero
zaf why u bring so much talk into my thread? ;_;

wait...im suppose to be grateful.

much obliged sir

zaf

Smash Lord
cuz viet, toon link is the best char ever, and hes amazing

hey did anyone notice in the new nightly build 4.3, that toon links dtilt doesnt pop people up anymore? its not like roys dtilt from melee anymore. its really ****.

zaf

Smash Lord
wow this sucks, i cant do a thing with dtilt now =/
it really doesnt combo into anything
what happened to it =S

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
I rarely used dtilt anyway. besides I felt there was better options since dtilt feels weird to use

distructo91

Smash Cadet
lol best toon link in ontario didnt kinow about dtilt lol? or do you mean only toon link in ontario. tl can screw people over way harder with his projectiles then distructo does
Sir, i played brawl before brawl + much like a lot of people. And his down tilt was pretty bad in vbrawl, so i never used it. I just started playing brawl + too (especially competitively) so you think i would have started using d tilt all of a sudden when playing brawl +? No. I had no idea. Yea i could have looked into it, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to discover things for himself. And i just looked into it right now, didn't I? FYI, I'm the best toon link in Ontario for vbrawl. So if you're going to insult me like that, can you actually think before you do? And plus, i don't even know you...

zaf

Smash Lord
IF you are smart, you would use what works best, not what YOU think works best. WHICH in fact you are doing because you "like to find things on your own".

A lot of players read up on things, and match ups to get better. and they improve faster. I beat the best toon link, when i was in niagara, he beat niko at the same tourney, plus i probably beat you before too. I dont even play vbrawl anymore so i dont care who you are. You arent the best toon link in the world so i dont give a ****, Ive played with santi in philadelphia and ive beaten him. The set was 1-1, but he had to leave, so it never finished. Trust me santi would **** the **** out of you

santi<3

distructo91

Smash Cadet
Yea i admit, i'll have to lose that habit but there's no need to be rude...and i think i am improving IMO. That link that 5ive posted was a friendly, don't judge me from that.
And there's no need to be cocky lol...

zaf

Smash Lord
so then why did he post it?

i edited my old post, go back and read it.
im done argueing with you, i dont need to so i probably wont reply to you.

distructo91

Smash Cadet
so then why did he post it?

i edited my old post, go back and read it.
im done argueing with you, i dont need to so i probably wont reply to you.
He posted it because it was just an example, i don't know. He doesn't have any videos of me playing in a tournament or anything... Why don't you ask him.

5ive

Smash Champion
lol at arguement. Let's just <3 each other.
And I'm not allowed to post friendlies anymore? :(

VietGeek

Smash Hero
no 5ive. This is a battle between Canadians, it's not the friendlies fault. =<

Btw zaf, you sure you installed "4.3" ('officially' labeled as 5.0 btw) correctly? I'm playing on it, and all my changes are still on the official .pac file.

iLink

Smash Champion
I rarely used the dsmash because I never felt like it was worth it, I was happily surprised by the new one in 5.0

zaf

Smash Lord
But you can't do that dsmash thing under 25% anymore D:
that wasnt even worth using, you cant realistically gimp people with it.
The new dsmash can kill people at the edge or close to it at around 100%.
Toon link had problems killing before, now he has a great ko move

jalued

Smash Lord
that wasnt even worth using, you cant realistically gimp people with it.
The new dsmash can kill people at the edge or close to it at around 100%.
Toon link had problems killing before, now he has a great ko move
always thought TL was one of the most underrated characters in vbrawl and brawl+, great ariel game, priority, decent recovery, decent kill moves, great combo potential, the best camping game ever...time will tell lol

Top Bottom