• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can the Ange Ring evaluate a player?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So my friends introduced me to this other Pit player. This guy is supposedly the best Pit player of his group. Now, he does play a mean game with his other mains, mainly Ike (seriously, he's **** good with Ike) so he's no noob, so when it was time to do our Pit v. Pit bout, I was anxious, nervous, and excited...

As soon as the fight started, by the time I took his 1st stock, I swear he must have used the Angel Ring like eight times! And it only really hit me maybe twice, for little damage! Needless to say he relies heavily on AR, almost to the point where he's spamming it just for the sake of spamming it!

Is it just me, or is Pit's Angel Ring like a measure of how good one actually is with that character? Like, I've seen good players use it sparingly, and when they do use it, its pays off in spades; then I see everyone else throw it out every chance they get...these are the players that ted to be mediocre (at best) with Pit. Seriously, anytime you use the AR MORE than the Arrows, there's something wrong with your playstyle.

Can we assume that the Angel Ring is a "tell" for whether or not the player is good or poor with Pit? Can we judge a Pit mainer purely on that one move?

I think so.

kown

Smash Lord
i mean it makes sense to me...but maybe its a mindgame...i know id hate hearing him say hiyayaya eight times in one stock.

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
I think Pit mains are stereotyped to be spamming side b and constant arrows >_>
However, I do think 8 times is a bit too much. AR is a pretty good move to surprise an opponent when they least expect it, but otherwise its easy to DI out of and get punished for it.

HYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY D:

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I don't hink it's a fair way to measure skill, but it does have some correlation.

Also, from today on you will hear pit's angel ring sound as:

"WAYY TO GO!!"

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I actually like angel rings for combo purposes. it may not do tons of damage but i can help you continue your combo when it would normally end.

I have a thread for aerial use. But its also good to use it during a combo as you hit the ground. This can push you back into your opponent when he would have been able to get away from u. Maybe only hit him for 1 or 2% damage, but it can also lead into dtilt or ftilt.

I also use his rings for the opposite reason. If for a reason i am out of jumps and im landing too close to my opponent who i know is gonna attack me with a laggy attack, i can choose to angle rings away from him, just before i hit the ground to possibly get away.

Sure angel rings can be spammed, and it doesnt do all that much damage, but its far from being just a noob attack, with just one use.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Of course, 8 times is a bit...much...but you can't really judge someone by one move. I think you should spectate several of this player matches when he's using pit because he may just have been fooling aruond and having a good time, not be competitive during that particular match. However, if he does it all the time then you can start to be judgmental

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
though most players who arent noobs find the angel ring to be situational not a usual move i fight pits in my area all the time and while tampa doesnt really have good smashers they know angel ring isnt the best move in the world but like ryos said its far from being a 1 use noob attack

also its good in the air it stops their momentum and traps them

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
hmm i actually find angel ring is a decent move for pushing your opponent back from you if you are in an unfavorable position, granted you have to space it right so that it cannot be rolled through and then you have to time it right so taht right when the char is about to try to punish you for it the windpush gets him and pushes him away.....

that being said i do also see a correlation between the more unintelligent uses of AR the noobier the player

Doctor X

Smash Lord
It's a pretty situational and matchup-based move. Very useful as a reflector against some moves (Pika's thunder, snake's usmash), and cool for setting up gimps against spacies since it can easily catch them out of their >B's, forcing them to use up-B which you can quickly mirror shield. Wolf's almost impossible to do this to, but Fox and Falco get straight-up *****.

One universal thing you almost always want to keep in mind is that hitting your opponent with the full brunt of the AR is not something you ever want to do. Ever. Good opponents will smash DI out and hit you, usually coming out way on top of the damage trade. Before I learned this lesson I've had R.O.B. players SDI out behind me and fsmash me in the back for a kill.

What you want to do is hit your opponent with the very front of it, and end it the exact moment you start hitting them, or as early as you possibly can if you miss. Sustaining it at all beyond this is dangerous and realy not worth the pittance of damage you'd get. Plus, if you don't give your opponent the opportunity to get out and brace himself against the ending wind push, that wind push will keep you safe from almost any non-projectile punishment your opponent might be hoping to throw at you in retaliation.

AR is a control move, not a damage move. So yes, I would say if a Pit player is spamming it a lot for damage, then he probably isn't very good. This doesn't say much for his usual opponents, though, to tell you the truth, because they're the ones letting him do it. So basically people letting Arrow/AR spammy pits succeed need to step their game up. :)

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
the AR should be used as a defensive move to screw up people, not as a primary attack so it seems to me that he isn't very experienced with pit's other moves

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
tbh I don't use the AR as much as I should. I find myself hopping towards the opponent and Mirror Shielding if they tend to spam projectiles. (I'm looking at you R.O.B.)

I think the only character I use the AR against regularly on approach is Wolf X)

Riku00

Smash Ace
i think you can judge him by that one move. i am training my Pit right now and i would never use angel ring 8 times in one stock. the main reason is because the delay of ending it leaves you wide open for attack. now as you would probably do i only use it to supprize my opponent and when i do it i make sure it builds up at least 10% of damage.and follow it up with a dtilt and nair afterwards and you got a 40% damage combo right there if you do it right. currently i am trying to perfect my arrows so i can mindgame my opponent and mix up my approaches. i am training my Pit for the sole purpose of me wanting to main him.

Top Bottom