• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can I Win Tournaments without Metaknight or Snake?

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to use a character like Jigglypuff and win a tournament? Or are the match-ups too impossible? Im curious, because I want to use Jigglypuff, but it seems like there are many things that keep her from beating the top tiers.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Yes. Though it will be considerably harder, especially with a character like Jiggs.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
No you cannot stop MetaKnight and Snake. They are just too broken.

/sarcasm

You can technically win a brawl tourney with Jiggs but it's probably going to be really hard. My suggestion would be to have a secondary to deal with Snake(His utilt kills Jiggs at 80% or so). Metaknight won't be that bad since he can edgegaurd Jiggs well but it's still a pretty hard match-up. I'd suggest having Marth as a secondary to deal with those two match-ups.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
OS wins everything in his region with ROB for the most part. Snake and Meta aren't the only two good characters.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
You can, but not with just one character.

Have 1 or 2 characters you're also good with ready, for the sake of matchups.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
It takes far more skill, and you have to know your MK and Snake matchups VERY well.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You can, get really skilled with puffdaddy and you'll do fine. I'd also prepare for the meta your up against, if meta knight and Snake are prominent in your area try and work on strategies against them.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
It's possible but it will, without a doubt, be much, much harder. In some cases, puff won't be able to stand up against certain characters due to the properties of both characters. Chances are, you won't be able to beat the best snakes/MKs but if you get really good against those two characters, you'll stand a chance.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
With Jiggs, probably not, unless you are deadly good. However, there are plenty of other good characters other than MK and Snake.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
To be frank? No.

Jigglypuff is now a terribly character; curse Sakurai.

You can win tournaments without using Metaknight or Snake. M2K/Aero's Dedede and Futile's Wario are a testament to this. However, you still will need a somewhat solid character to stand a chance. This thus rules out Samus, Jigglypuff, Link, Captain Falcon, Bowser, and probably Peach.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Just play whoever you want. You probably won't win tournaments even with MK/Snake unless you're really good.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
This question entirely depends upon whether A: Anyone good will be there and B: if anyone playing Metaknight or Snake will be there Of course someone playing Metaknight or Snake will be there.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Although from the way everyone whines about them...
Well yeah, people always whine. Anyone remember how Sheik was in Melee back in the day? Everyone hated her, and people complained constantly and tried to get her banned. Ultimately, it never happened, and would have been ridiculous if they did.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Well yeah, people always whine. Anyone remember how Sheik was in Melee back in the day? Everyone hated her, and people complained constantly and tried to get her banned. Ultimately, it never happened, and would have been ridiculous if they did.
They tried to get a character banned? That's just silly.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
However, you still will need a somewhat solid character to stand a chance. This thus rules out Samus, Jigglypuff, Link, Captain Falcon, Bowser, and probably Peach.
I would argue that CFalcon is a decent match against Snake, and Bowser is a decent match against Metaknight. But overall as a character, I can see where your coming from.

Unfortunately I don't see how jiggs will stand up against those two. But in a tournament setting the situation may work out that someone else will eliminate those characters with a character jiggs does decent against.

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
I say playing a lower tier character at this stage in the game might give you an element of surprise so make sure you're always looking for broken stuff specific to that character. You will know the meta / snake matchup better than they will know yours so thats pretty much the only benefit you're going to have going in playing against them. It looks like the only REAL bad matchup for jiggly is Game and Watch. You wont be able to keep the element of surprise for long (if you can even anymore). There's nothing to jiggly that I don't think everyone and their mother knows though. You're going to have to be a better player than your opponent and that's that.

When I'm dealing with top tier players, the last thing I want is a disadvantage on them. Go in with the mindset that you basically can beat everyone. Personally, I don't like the idea of having more than 1 other side character for competitive play but thats up to you. Marth is not a good choice vs snake and metaknight. You have to KNOW marth for it to be an even matchup. People with projectiles give snake a problem (like ROB). Snake gives Metaknight issues as well as Marth.

Rob isn't that hard to pick up. Neither is snake. I'd make your secondary somebody not too hard just for having a little edge on the matchup. I'd second snake if I were you but look into it. Snake's pretty easy to pick up too, imo. He takes some creativity to play, but as far as control goes, he's not that hard. Learn your dash->usmash cancel, how to drop/throw grenades, and how to ftilt (takes a little practice at first if you're not used to it).

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
so basically, i can do it, but not with Jigglypuff alone? hmm... i might start using Marth, DeDeDe, and Snake to counter stuff. thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Don't take too much stock into the character rankings list for this particular question; it doesn't take into account matchups and what not.

As for your question, yes its very possible to win with someone other than Snake/MK (anybody that honestly believes only those 2 are capable of winning don't have any idea how this game works), but with Jiggs? Probably not. Jiggs isn't that bad, and I've seen someone fairly good with her, but she simply cannot win in some situations and matchups. If you're serious about Jiggs, then I'd suggest finding a good second that complements Jiggs well, so you have some way to handle those bad matchups.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
G&W is a beast, he stands a good chance.
Ain't that the truth. I tried a tourney using Pika and I got DESTROYED by a G&W. Bucket made thunder useless. I didn't know it before but apparently he holds his bucket charge even after death. The one I played had INSANE DI too. So weird seeing him that good after Melee.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Yes you can. However, it's gonna take quite a lot of training and skill if you've never been to a tourney. Certainly if you've never seen people play/win a tournament (which I'm assuming). So don't expect to make it on your first go, but you wouldn't be able to pull that off with Snake or MK either.

Ulevo

Smash Master
You have my support. I actually believe it is very possible to do it with Jiggs. Most people really underrate her. However, you would need to be on your game to pull it off. Jiggs is nowhere near as bad as people claim, but she isn't Snake or Meta Knight.

I plan on using Jiggs in an upcoming tournament to possibly bring her ranking up. I can't see any characters besides Meta Knight giving me a problem to be honest, so I might shell out Marth for that. Also keep in mind that she has some very good Counter Pick stages, such as Delfino Plaza.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I love how all the people are replying that have never been to a tournament in there life.

One question, are you using jiggs because you are good/comfortable with them? Or are you using them just to use them?

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to use a character like Jigglypuff and win a tournament? Or are the match-ups too impossible? Im curious, because I want to use Jigglypuff, but it seems like there are many things that keep her from beating the top tiers.
tires dun exist!!1

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
tires dun exist!!1
You spelled it wrong, incorrectly. :p
tires don exits

And to stay on topic of the thread: In the past it has been proven that you can beat any character with any character, you just have to be a smart smasher. In Melee, even with tiers a good smart player on low tier can beat high tier characters (ex: Bum with DK).

But... we don't have tiers for Brawl (yet) so do a dance and play. ^_^

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Definitely. Just throw a tournament with only you and a 4 year old kid as participants.

Others can be level 1 and 2 computers.

You should use Tournament mode, Sakurai created it especially for us competitive smashers.

I just won 2 tourneys last week btw... go me!

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
when facing snake drill> rest. thats a whole 2 stocks if u do it twice!!!

but vs mk ur screwed ^_^ seriously tho u can beat anyone its just going to be that much harder.

ravenhats

Smash Cadet
Easily possible even though jiggs is nerfed I think it makes little difference, overall if you have enough more skill then others you'll win. I think that it would be harder fighting them then other characters but overall winning I think depends more on skill of the players then character you fight or your character tier.

Top Bottom