• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can DK beat Snake?

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
In other words, is DK a Snake counter? List reasons why you think this is or is not true.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I believe he's pretty effective against Snake. Bigfoot should be in here soon to enlighten you.

Snake

Snake is another one of those campy characters that really annoy DK. Fortunatly for us Snake players can not really spam moves to keep DK from approaching except for maybe the grenade toss but with enough practice you should be able to catch them and return them. In this match you need to pull off more grabs than usual because if you attack and they power shield then BOOM! 20% with AAA or F-tilt. Grabbing is effective because of two different reasons in this match-up. The first one being that Snake's aerials have a tremendous amount of lag upon landing if you get them to use aerials. It isn't very hard to punish a snake that has missed you using an aerial but if you do get hit expect at least 15%. The second reason is that snake is heavy and falls at a decent speed making him able to be juggled easily. CARGO U-TOSS TO UAIR IS STILL WORKS! if they don't dodge it it does some nice damage. I'm guessing that snake player's would rather dodge dodge through the uair rather than trade hits if your low-mid% because it would send them back into the air which is DK territory and you not to far away. As for spacing in this match it's probably best for the down-b or bair. since they will not be jumping too much it makes the down-b good and since you can short hop bair and jump away before they can do anything it also makes the bair very good for spacing. Against the mines(down smash) and the C4(down-b) the best way to avoid being hit by them is just focusing on where it is planted or dropped and keep that place in your head. repeat it out loud if you have to. (your down-b will trigger a mine to go off and C4 will explode after a minute or so also)When they are recovering, if you can, grab them and throw them off as they will not be able to recover again. If they recover from beyond your grab then a well place dair or fair can stop the cypher early(around 40% but you must hit only the cypher). DK needs space when he is above 100% because a non diminished AAA or F-tilt kills DK super early.

Taken straight from the DK matchup thread.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what's the point of you posting what I had already done and that someone had done last week?

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
There really wasn't a point, though I do have a weak excuse: I didn't see yours.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
this is like the third thread about this matchup... basically, dk lives longer than snake (one of two characters), has a good approach, can juggle snake, has equal or greater priority on his ground moves, and can kill with a grab at 40% if you're close to an edge.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
There really wasn't a point, though I do have a weak excuse: I didn't see yours.
no johns, check the match up thread( we even have 2, even though I don't update mine) or search. its as if you didn't even read the titles in the forum, you just posted a thread. do some research before asking

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
His cypher is asking to either get grabbed by DK's nasty range, or take one of DK's numerous spikes.
:]

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
The answer is no-- make that HELL no. No one can beat Snake. He's bull****. His tilts. Are too strong. I don't know how Snake players can sleep at night. If I played a character like that I would kill myself. I hope every Snake player gets hit by a bus. I hope they fall in a well. I hope they're gored by a bull. I hope they get stung by bees, and that it hurts really bad because they're allergic to bees. Etc. etc.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
The answer is no-- make that HELL no. No one can beat Snake. He's bull****. His tilts. Are too strong. I don't know how Snake players can sleep at night. If I played a character like that I would kill myself. I hope every Snake player gets hit by a bus. I hope they fall in a well. I hope they're gored by a bull. I hope they get stung by bees, and that it hurts really bad because they're allergic to bees. Etc. etc.
LOL, Sick Hatred.

Master Raven

Smash Master
My only complaint with Snake is that the hitboxes for his Ftilt and Utilts are absurdely complete, utter bull****.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
you do know that dks ftilt has the same range and priority as snakes utilt, and dks utilt has the same range (behind him) and priority as snakes ftilt right?

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Yknow I think Snake's just a lot harder than he should be over Wifi. I played a good Snake locally today and powershielded explosives all over the place like I never could with button lag. Offline play is just so much more precise and the matchup seemed a LOT more even to me.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played a good DK in a while, but I do remember some things that I've noticed in playing some good DKs.

Even though Snake has a disadvantage towards DK, I've never really had a major problem against DKs. DK has about the same or longer range on his ground moves. Dk's Dsmash is really useful against Snake. With DK's long grab range, it is easy to gimp Snakes recovery. Snake is also one of the most vulnerable characters to get spiked while recoverying. For some odd reason, it is hard for me to attack DK while he is recoverying. I usually wait and see if he lands on the stage, if he does, I try to Fsmash him, but if I can't, I just Ftilt or AAA him, or possibly a Utilt for the kill.

Snake does have some advantages though. He has a couple of projectiles. His mines can't be disarmed by DK. It is easy to put a C4 on Dk, since he is so big. Snake can go prone and avoid most of DK's ariels.

Over all Dk does seem to have a bigger advantage, but I've never had problems against DKs.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I find it funny that the DK board thinks that DK vs. Snake is a rather even match up while the Snake board seems to think it is largely in DK's favor. The match-up thread on the Snake board has it as a five star difficultly fight.

Lulz.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
My whining merely comes down to my being just a *pretty good* DK getting my *** beat by a few exceptionally good Snakes. So just ignore my rants, that's all they are, because the *really* good DKs like Bigfoot all think that DK has the edge.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I haven't played a good DK in a while, but I do remember some things that I've noticed in playing some good DKs.

Even though Snake has a disadvantage towards DK, I've never really had a major problem against DKs. DK has about the same or longer range on his ground moves. Dk's Dsmash is really useful against Snake. With DK's long grab range, it is easy to gimp Snakes recovery. Snake is also one of the most vulnerable characters to get spiked while recoverying. For some odd reason, it is hard for me to attack DK while he is recoverying. I usually wait and see if he lands on the stage, if he does, I try to Fsmash him, but if I can't, I just Ftilt or AAA him, or possibly a Utilt for the kill.

Snake does have some advantages though. He has a couple of projectiles. His mines can't be disarmed by DK. It is easy to put a C4 on Dk, since he is so big. Snake can go prone and avoid most of DK's ariels.

Over all Dk does seem to have a bigger advantage, but I've never had problems against DKs.
His down b can disarm it actually.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
I find it funny that the DK board thinks that DK vs. Snake is a rather even match up while the Snake board seems to think it is largely in DK's favor. The match-up thread on the Snake board has it as a five star difficultly fight.

Lulz.
Maybe it's because DK players are trying to be humble because the Donk is the only good match-up against a "Godly" character?
And maybe the Snake players hate getting called cheap and other nasty names so they say "Hey, DK is a counter-pick". Two logics can be used in response to that, they are just being truthful or they are being complete d-bags because they know very few people they'll play against will main DK.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
DK does pretty good against most top tier characters(exept Falco) but snake as we all know is broken, tilts are as strong as Fox's Smashes, you don't even need to use specials a lot since his tilts/AAA are too strong. the only good characters for Snake are DK and R.O.B and to a lesser extent Falco? and Pikachu

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Maybe it's because DK players are trying to be humble because the Donk is the only good match-up against a "Godly" character?
And maybe the Snake players hate getting called cheap and other nasty names so they say "Hey, DK is a counter-pick". Two logics can be used in response to that, they are just being truthful or they are being complete d-bags because they know very few people they'll play against will main DK.
Haha... funny and true. The few times I've poked my head into the Snake forums I got bombarded by "Snake is cheap/broken" spam. I'm sure the Snake players are thrilled to be able to say that ANY character has an advantage over theirs.

Master Raven

Smash Master
you do know that dks ftilt has the same range and priority as snakes utilt, and dks utilt has the same range (behind him) and priority as snakes ftilt right?
DK's tilts don't have gigantic invisible hitboxes however. Honestly, they can keep the power and knockback of Snake's tilts for all I care, but Christ, they should never have given them invisible hitboxes. You can stand a few inches away from someone and still hit them with their Utilt when the character model technically did not make any contact with the opposing model whatsoever!

(I exaggerated that last bit except for the bolded part btw. :laugh:)

Haha... funny and true. The few times I've poked my head into the Snake forums I got bombarded by "Snake is cheap/broken" spam. I'm sure the Snake players are thrilled to be able to say that ANY character has an advantage over theirs.
I feel sorry for both Snake and Meta Knight right now. I have never heard such whining and complaining with those two more than any other character in the Smash series, and I can certainly see why the Brawl community is frowned upon when I bump across these people. Though to be honest, with the advent of online and thus the number of Smash players competing against one-another increasing tenfold when compared to the last two games, I suppose this is to be expected, but still, ya know? Recently I've been raging over how much I ****ing hate fighting ROBs, but now, just as I *****ed over Snake in the past, I am beginning to have an easier time with them and getting the general sense of their style (though they're still difficult to fight for me).

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, I've come to the conclusion that my DK sucks and needs to get much better. I hate Snake. Why is he so broken? I still get owned by Snake when using my counter picks (Olimar and now DK). Maybe I should just use Wolf :(

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
HELL THE **** YES.

Just got done 2 stocknig a friend who mains snake. It was an easy victory if you play your cards right. Snake isn't exactly faster than DK and stying close to snake proves for an EASY match up. Dk is really really strong. But from my own experiences I'm pretty positive a Dk can beat a snake, and with east, at that.

If someone is willing to upload, or if you would like kasha, i can send the video for it to be uploaded, or i can send it to you kasha so you can see it and see what you think.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've come to the conclusion that my DK sucks and needs to get much better. I hate Snake. Why is he so broken? I still get owned by Snake when using my counter picks (Olimar and now DK). Maybe I should just use Wolf :(
Just because DK has a good match-up against Snake doesn't mean that by using him your magically going to beat all Snake players. There are reasons why DK has such a good match-up with Snake and you have to practice to exploit them. And if your picking up DK just to have an option against Snake players, your picking up DK for the wrong reasons.

Top Bottom