• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPLETELY VANILLA Mafia | Game Over

Chaco

Never Logs In
UPs style is hard to distinguish, especially this being my first time playing with him and honestly I was quite lazy in doing homework on his slot.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think I would have possibly reconsidered Frozen but that would require UP to be more receptive to discussion. Also I still just felt boom was really scumsiding here. Oop.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I don't see that as disgusting. If a player isn't playing, have them replace and read the replacement. Not waste a yeet on them.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I was going to try to convince UP that I was town but he was not open to talking.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
ranmaru ranmaru
As Town you should NEVER vote outside of Thunderdome. Unless the scum team was exactly BoomFrog + FrozenFlame one of them was guaranteed to be hammered by remaining scum. Why you would vote Boom here is a mystery to me.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think merc put Kary in a very difficult position because he was essentially prod dodging and bragging about it. Like how can you as a mod justify making the very activist move of replacing a slot that is technically following the activity requirements to a bare minimum, but simply refuses to contribute? That's a dangerous judgment call for a mod to make

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
ranmaru ranmaru
As Town you should NEVER vote outside of Thunderdome. Unless the scum team was exactly BoomFrog + FrozenFlame one of them was guaranteed to be hammered by remaining scum. Why you would vote Boom here is a mystery to me.
somi hadn't shown up yet so it was plausible that alpha strike on me was still possible but didn't happen do to the slot being MIA. generally this is sound advice tho, it just wasn't quite as cut and dry as your typical thunderdome situation

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I will remember that for the future Sabrar. Not a situation I have been in recently.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
Also I have to say osie hardclaiming protective was such a ****ing blessing because it gave me a free out to NK that german shepard of a slot literally digging his teeth into my arm and refusing to let go. That alternative explanation for the kill with a little extra WIFOM mixed in I think REALLY helped me dodge the spotlight in D2
Yeah, that was pretty lucky for us.
#HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary Thank you for running the game. I really loved the setup. The ideal mafia setup gives town something interesting to get the discussion started D1 and this did that perfectly.
Agreed, it was a pretty neat twist. I just realised I've never played a mafia game with zero power roles, it was interesting to see that in action.
ranmaru ranmaru
Hi, Sabrar. What's a Thunderdome?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Again, glad I actually got to play but it felt like I was talking to myself mostly.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
ROLE PMS

================================= UTOPIANPOYZIN ================================

Welcome to Completely Vanilla Mafia

as a reminder, by playing in this game you agree to follow the rules as stated in the game thread.
if you experience any problems during the game or have any questions,
please let me know by replying to this message. here is your role:

alignment- town
role- pop-gun vigilante
active abilities- each night, you may send me the name of a player. you will shoot that player.
passive abilities- shooting a player does not affect them in any way.

please confirm your receipt of this PM by hitting 'Like' on this message.
good luck and have fun xxx

================================= XIVII-RANMARU ================================

as a reminder, by playing in this game you agree to follow the rules as stated in the game thread.

alignment- town
role- novice of all trades
active abilities- each night, you may send me a description of an action you wish to perform.
you will perform that action to the best of your ability.
passive abilities- you are completely incapable of most, if not all tasks.

================================= #HBC | FROZENFLAME ================================

alignment- mafia
role- 2nd deputy
active abilities- none
passive abilities- during the game, if a deputy role dies, you will inherit their passive ability.
mafia abilities- a) your mafia partner is PLACEHOLDER. you may communicate with them privately at any time.
b) night kill- each night, you or your mafia partner may send me the name of a player.
you will kill that player. c) for your "safe claim" ignore all mafia abilities, a town alignment reads: town

================================= SOMITOMI ================================

alignment- mafia
role- anti-social neighbor
active abilities- none
passive abilities- any active abilities which attempt to communicate with you or invite you to join a group will fail.
mafia abilities- a) your mafia partner is PLACEHOLDER. you may communicate with them privately at any time.
b) night kill- each night, you or your mafia partner may send me the name of a player.
you will kill that player. c) for your "safe claim" ignore all mafia abilities, a town alignment reads: town

================================= X ================================
============================= MERCURI===========================

alignment- town
role- bird watcher
active abilities- each night, you may send me the name of a player.
you will watch that player and learn the names of any birds that visit them.
passive abilities- none

================================= BOOMFROG ================================

alignment- town
role- distracted mailman
active abilities- each night, you may send me the name of a player and a message for them of up to 20 words.
passive abilities- your message will either get lost, go to the wrong person, be replaced by a junk message,
or a combination of these; you will not be informed which of these apply.

================================= DARKPIT54 ================================

alignment- town
role- noisy child
active abilities- none
passive abilities- once, at the start of the game, your role will be announced as noisy child

================================= 3DSNINJA-OSIEORB18 ================================

alignment- town
role- slow bodyguard
active abilities- each night, you may send me the name of a player. you will protect that player with your own life;
any killing actions that target them will affect you instead.
passive abilities- your active ability will take effect only after all other actions and abilities have resolved

================================= CHACO ================================

alignment- town
role- self-doubting miller
active abilities- none
passive abilities- roles which check your alignment may receive a 'mafia' result.
they may also receive a 'town' result. honestly you're not sure.

================================= X ================================

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
The play should have been let him live and get replaced.
I agree with this if there was an indication that he had the potential to be replaced. He wasn't technically breaking any rules though and wasn't receiving prods. I'd recommend in the future that it's made explicit that that prod dodging is not a form of content and there be a greater degree of open warning/prods.

I think any discussion of altering play strategically based on replacement is really gross.
This is a pretty bad philosophy. It's sensible on mafiascum because there is a surplus of players and a well-established and clear-cut set of rules for how they are handled. But for less active communities, replacements are simply a part of the game that can't be avoided.

Last edited:

Sabrar

Smash Ace
I think merc put Kary in a very difficult position because he was essentially prod dodging and bragging about it. Like how can you as a mod justify making the very activist move of replacing a slot that is technically following the activity requirements to a bare minimum, but simply refuses to contribute? That's a dangerous judgment call for a mod to make
Personal opinion, but technically following the rules is not enough, if you don't follow the spirit behind the rules then you should be replaced.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
This is a pretty bad philosophy. It's sensible on mafia scum because there is a surplus of players and a well-established and clear-cut set of rules for how they are handled.
Honestly, if you feel that your read is going to be significantly changed by waiting for a replacement, then you don't have a good read on that slot, and that should tell you that either the slot is suspicious or that you should go back and look closer. Saying that "I want to wait for replacement so I have a higher chance of reading the slot" is OGI angleshooting and is disgusting.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Honestly, if you feel that your read is going to be significantly changed by waiting for a replacement, then you don't have a good read on that slot, and that should tell you that either the slot is suspicious or that you should go back and look closer. Saying that "I want to wait for replacement so I have a higher chance of reading the slot" is OGI angleshooting and is disgusting.
You use the word 'disgusting' too freely. Also of course you don't have a good read on that slot. If someone isn't playing, there's nothing for you to "go back and look closer" on.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
You won't get a good read on a slot that isn't playing.
mercuri needed to be eliminated. They were openly and intentionally not playing.

That said, pushing for mercuri isn't intrinsically townie. Mercuri was low hanging fruit.

Deciding to wait for replacement, however, makes the game about replacement rather than about mafia. It's OGI and if someone posted in the thread saying "I want to wait for mercuri to be replaced so I won't vote for them", I'd at least give that player a warning for OGI, and multiple instances of that sort of play could definitely lead to a modkill.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
There was no need to elim them if there was no basis for a good read on them.

Last edited:

osieorb18

Smash Ace
You use the word 'disgusting' too freely. Also of course you don't have a good read on that slot. If someone isn't playing, there's nothing for you to "go back and look closer" on.
They were openly and intentionally not playing.
The key words there are openly and intentionally. It's where I'm explicitly making it about playing the game instead of using OGI as a way to further a win condition.

Chaco

Never Logs In
It’s nothing against scum team whatsoever but look at the massive content difference between scum and town, and then the replacements and what happened D1. If you come in and play enough you’re still not lurking as compared to blatant play refusal. So there’s definitely an activity issue here, but it happens I get that. There’s not enough bodies to really have a fully active game here. That and most of us are older now, and have families, jobs, etc. had I not just started playing again, my activity probably wouldn’t be as insane as it has been either.

But you take the limelight of D1 off of those inactive slots, it lands on Somi soooo much more.

And it’s nothing personal against 3DSNinja but I would make them hydra with someone if they’re going to in a game.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
It’s nothing against scum team whatsoever but look at the massive content difference between scum and town, and then the replacements and what happened D1. If you come in and play enough you’re still not lurking as compared to blatant play refusal. So there’s definitely an activity issue here, but it happens I get that. There’s not enough bodies to really have a fully active game here. That and most of us are older now, and have families, jobs, etc. had I not just started playing again, my activity probably wouldn’t be as insane as it has been either.

But you take the limelight of D1 off of those inactive slots, it lands on Somi soooo much more.

And it’s nothing personal against 3DSNinja but I would make them hydra with someone if they’re going to in a game.
Or just give a mentor.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
Personal opinion, but technically following the rules is not enough, if you don't follow the spirit behind the rules then you should be replaced.
Arguably, posting just for the sake of posting isn't playing to your win condition as either alignment and there's usually a rule about that if I'm not mistaken.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I mean, I had a true and correct townlean on mercuri.

I'm sorry if your read there didn't have as much depth.
But you managed to pick up something to give you that town lean, but overall no one else did. We’re searching through a collective 150 words trying to discern alignment. It’s like playing twitter mafia.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
Arguably, posting just for the sake of posting isn't playing to your win condition as either alignment and there's usually a rule about that if I'm not mistaken.
Playing to your win condition is such an arbitrary rule that it usually doesn't have a definition for town.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
And that's where you're angleshooting.
That is essentially yeeting a player that is null and non-existent. Better to replace if you can. We don't have unlimited yeets. Plus going by what you say... ninja and merc needed yeeting which would put us as Lylo.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
But you managed to pick up something to give you that town lean, but overall no one else did. We’re searching through a collective 150 words trying to discern alignment. It’s like playing twitter mafia.
On the flip side, lower amounts of content mean that you are less likely to leap on something incorrect. Town players have the occasional scumtell. Scum players have the occasional towntell.

Looking at all players, including the lurkers, and trying to draw blood out of a stone on a read on them on Day 1 is GOOD TOWN PLAY.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
That is essentially yeeting a player that is null and non-existent. Better to replace if you can. We don't have unlimited yeets. Plus going by what you say... ninja and merc needed yeeting which would put us as Lylo.
I mean, Frozen and somitomi needed yeeting and both, particularly Frozen, were easier for some of us to form a stronger scumread on than the null lurker read.

Top Bottom