• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPLETELY VANILLA Mafia | Game Over

osieorb18

Smash Ace
I sorta want to do a drunken mafia live game on Discord now...

Also I thought ExLight was like 12.

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Trust requires vulnerability.
ye—yes sempai...

Chaco Chaco you were a stable force this game and natural leader. Despite our difficulties reading each other these past two games, I think we're both improving there. As opposed to Midnight, our conflict only consisted of a portion of D1. And I actually think our different methods complement each other really well once we've established a sense of understanding. I'll be kicking myself for not supporting your Somi read. It's funny because the game I recently read from like a decade ago that you and I were in, Pikmafia, you had caught me for almost the same thing! It was my first time being mafia and I was under the assumption that flavor wise, the "good guys" and the "bad guys" could be scum or town, but I only knew that because I was "good guy" as scum. You had a flavor tracker role and thought someone was scum because it indicated that they were a "bad guy," I questioned your conclusion which made you suspicious of me for not getting it. Should have seen the parallel sooner.

Darkpit54 Darkpit54 I don't think Midnight was a fluke. I just latched on too hard to the b-game logic. In hindsight, there were so many times where your town showed, but I kept ignoring them cause of that bias.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
osieorb18 osieorb18 I think we'll be able to work well together if we roll town together, and I look forward to trying to evade your steely gaze as scum.
I had been reconsidering Boom, but I was right on my D1 solve, particularly on Frozen.

Oh well.
I totally didn't remember you were on Somi. My final impression of your reads was Xivii+Frozen, which did influence my focus on where I went looking for my final analysis.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yo I completely forgot about that game Xivii Xivii . Lol. Yeah we do have opposing complementary styles. But we are getting better as reading town to town, it’s gonna be interesting to see when we are scum to town. Lol. Or Frozens fear scum and scum.

Darkpit54 Darkpit54 Midnight was so easy to ping you as town because your inquiries were so pure. Here it was still town telling with your self pres, but it wasn’t enough. There was so much constant attention on you because we couosnt progress anywhere Else due to activity. Then when we did you would support it immediately. That’s what was the scummiest thing for me, but I was using bias as well and tunneling due to early game, which I should’ve just stayed on Somi with it BUT you were the active one so it left you in the limelight and Somi kind’ve faded into the background. Kicking myself there too.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
osieorb18 osieorb18 I think we'll be able to work well together if we roll town together, and I look forward to trying to evade your steely gaze as scum.

I totally didn't remember you were on Somi. My final impression of your reads was Xivii+Frozen, which did influence my focus on where I went looking for my final analysis.
Yeah, I had mostly turned around on Xivii by the end of the day.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
ranmaru ranmaru Thanks for replacing into a tough spot! You did more with the slot in that situation than I think anyone else could have.

somitomi somitomi you've come a long way! I was completely thrown off by your assertiveness and the points you were bringing up. They felt so reasonable to me. Great job.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame man you really nailed some of those posts. I don't remember what did it, but there was a post you made that both Chaco and I virtually locked you as town for. Splendid job, the win was well deserved from both of you.

UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin finger guns

:disco:

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
You played a solid game, and while you were firmly in many people's PoE, all that you would have needed to adjust to stay out of that danger more solidly was posting a little bit more. Your quality of posting was very respectable. I look forward to seeing you in future games!
Thanks.
Well, I think spending more time on your posts might help you. You made constant read mistakes, but I don't know if that was a consistent thing for you so I was ... overlooked it. kicks self I think maybe if you get more confident in your town game, you'll be able to use what you know from your town game in your scum game and then when your scum game gets better you'll use it to help your town game... mafiaception

You said that you were tired of reading and re-reading but I think you are wrong to think that less reading will help you. Of course it can lead you off track like my re-reading has done but it might get you on track. But I feel more reading will help you be more invested.

One thing I have learned is posting in early game helps me stay invested. Interacting with other players also helps. Maybe you can try that.

I get the feeling that the more you would get invested, you would prefer to make wall posts. Not against that. You might have to if you have a busy schedule. How about you take notes?
Well, I think this was maybe the second time I played mafia in a "oncventional" setup, so I can't say I have a lot of experience with it.
I think I should just use the time I spend on my posts more efficiently. When I said some post took me over an hour to compile, that was 100% true, it's just that most of it was spent going back and forth over the thread in several tabs trying to find something or skimming the activity of some player for the third time. Saying I'm tired of re-reads was a bit of a cheap excuse, but I do think spending less time reading everything and more time analysing would improve my play as either alignment. Perhaps I should try being more "in the loop" sometime instead of checking the game once or twice per day.
I used to take notes in the XKCD days and that usually helped me form an overview even if I never quite managed to work out a method I'm satisfied with. The main issue was that my notes were player-based and so they didn't record player interactions very well. I'm not sure why I didn't start taking notes at any point during this game though, but it sure came back to bite me in the butt.
This game had 2000 posts. That's huge for a micro game, especially one that ended fairly quickly. Activity overall isn't the problem per se, it's just that it isn't distributed evenly among the players. You basically have one group of players that put in 400-500 posts in a game, and other that can only manage maybe 50-100 posts per game, and it's hard for these two groups to interact with each other. I know for myself, I've been one of the lowest postcount players in every game I've played here, and people like bessie and somitomi post a lot less than I typically do. I think getting everyone up to the 400-500 post level is probably not going to be feasible for many people. Ideally I would love to see the lower postcount players bring up their content level, and the higher postcount players try to bring theirs down and everyone meet somewhere in the middle.
Word. Sometime during this game I had the usual thought, that I'd find this a lot easier if the other players were on a similar activity level to mine. Then D3 happened and I realised how slow that would be.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
EBWOP: I knew that, but I was also worried about slipping up somewhere, so I was leaning a bit on flying under the radar to survive.
you've come a long way! I was completely thrown off by your assertiveness and the points you were bringing up. They felt so reasonable to me. Great job.
Thanks, that's good to hear considering there were moments when I seriously thought you busted me. I actually panicked and messed up at one point and pretended to have no idea what you mean when you called me out on it because I saw no other way out.

Last edited:

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Darkpit54 Darkpit54 Darkpit54 Darkpit54 - Don't be down on yourself! You'll get there as a player! I think your analysis ability has a ton of potential and you cooperated really well when you realized that you were likely to be mis-eliminated, which was in VERY good form. I look forward to seeing where you go next
Really appreciate this, I was definitely kicking myself after my yeet lol

Gg scum! I don't think I ever would have grouped you together

Sorry Xivii for tunneling so hard, probably should've seen that you were acting the same as Midnight. Oh 🐳

Ditto on the praise Kary, this setup was super entertaining and you and GLG were great hosts

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Seconding everything re: #HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary and the design, it really was clever tho I definitely think noisy child is a bit overcentralizing in an essentially mountainous game and could and should have probably been replaced with literally any other red herring that doesn't involved mod confirmed public information. Very susceptible to metagaming and arguments like a mod would never allow such a unique role in a game like that to be scum aligned etc etc. I know you just just wrote roles and randomly assigned alignments but short of you literally confirming that in the rules, this kind of speculation can open up and punish the scum for a very arbitrary reason

generally speaking though this game was extremely well run and I have zero complaints about the way is was modded.
I completely agree with this criticism.
The reason for including the noisy child was to make it more ambiguous as to how vanilla this game was, rather than having roles being completely irrelevant and fake claims impossible. I'm not sure whether it was the right choice for balance overall, because although I am very aware of what my mod meta is, that isn't necessarily going to be clear to the players.

Speaking of other roles, here are what I think are the two best roles that didn't make the cut:
role- bus passenger
active abilities- each night, you may choose to wait for a bus. if a player with a bus visits you, you will get on the bus.
passive abilities- none
items- bus pass
role- selfish baker
active abilities- each night, you may choose to bake a loaf of bread.
passive abilities- you cannot give items to other players.
items- none

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
in closing, I would like to thank everyone for your kind words and praise and hope that you all enjoyed yourselves as much as is possible when playing mafia.
I would also like to publicly thank giraffelasergun giraffelasergun for being an excellent co-host, he was very helpful and understanding throughout.
he has just opened sign-ups for his own game which you may be interested in, so please go and check that out.
but I would also like to mention that I am 80% finished developing Completely Mafia II: Completely 1-Shot, and I intend to run it before the end of the year, so please keep an eye out for that if you enjoyed this game.

peace

Chaco

Never Logs In
Feedback for the whole cast: I felt the early game was too focused on roles and not enough on voting pressure / scum hunting.
Right. Had it not been swept away but I legit caught a scum slip off Somi with that though. But you’re correct it stayed on that topic far to long. We were not decisive at all.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Because the people with the most control of the thread pushed the game in that direction. It's a huge part of why I felt Xivii was scummy.
Nah I was adamantly against the speculation from the beginning, hence why I pushed for a mass claim so we could move beyond it and avoid plays like iM a PrOtEcTiVe, iM a CoNfuSeD CoP ahyuk.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
Nah I was adamantly against the speculation from the beginning, hence why I pushed for a mass claim so we could move beyond it and avoid plays like iM a PrOtEcTiVe, iM a CoNfuSeD CoP ahyuk.
Hm. I still think it would have been better to just not push for the mass claim on Day 1 and just sorted people, then done a massclaim SoD2. I wouldn't have had to do the claim that I did if not for the massclaim push.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
The purpose of the mass claim was to explicitly establish that it was a vanilla game so that attention on the roles could be sidestepped and we could actually focus on sorting people. Players were making reads off of the roles (UP cleared Chaco and DP; Chaco and UP were pushing Somi). My goal was to show we should ignore them and focus on play by proving that they are all simply red herrings. Funnily enough though, as Chaco pointed out, focusing on the roles in that manner actually would have been to our benefit.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
What I do propose, however, is that we mass claim. I think doing so would be beneficial in this setup because of all the red herrings. It would be good to know what we are actually dealing with and it would make it harder for scum to pseudo clear themselves in the larger scheme of things. For example, you are clearing Chaco and DP for their roles, but I suspect once we have a bigger picture of the game, we will see that we cannot clear anyone from their roles. Additionally, considering that the title of the game is completely vanilla, I doubt any of us are actual power roles. Furthermore, I think it would be a good idea for us to get this sorted so that we can move on with scumhunting.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
The purpose of the mass claim was to explicitly establish that it was a vanilla game so that attention on the roles could be sidestepped and we could actually focus on sorting people. Players were making reads off of the roles (UP cleared Chaco and DP; Chaco and UP were pushing Somi). My goal was to show we should ignore them and focus on play by proving that they are all simply red herrings. Funnily enough though, as Chaco pointed out, focusing on the roles in that manner actually would have been to our benefit.
Setup gaming on D1 is pretty much always more wine than on D2 in a closed setup, though. We knew that the noisy child existed.

Everything else was meh.

Top Bottom