• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

CountOlaf

Smash Cadet
I have a few questions about falcon. I've been playing a lot of falcon recently, and I need new ways to get back onto the stage from the ledge. I've been watching a lot of hax, and I love his hax dashing and double jump refreshes. are there any tips for the timing of hax dashing to maintain invincibility? I feel like when I do it, I just get hit out of it. Also, are there any good ways to practice instant u-airs?

gravy

Smash Ace
Get your melee set up so that you can play in debug mode. This way you can view your invincibility frames, enabling you to see if you're hax dashing correctly.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I have a few questions about falcon. I've been playing a lot of falcon recently, and I need new ways to get back onto the stage from the ledge. I've been watching a lot of hax, and I love his hax dashing and double jump refreshes. are there any tips for the timing of hax dashing to maintain invincibility? I feel like when I do it, I just get hit out of it. Also, are there any good ways to practice instant u-airs?

hax dash timing is as soon as you're able to move off the ledge. maybe practice using a character with tighter ledgedash windows first like ganon.

instant short hop uair can hit a standing fox iirc. start trying to hit a taller character like marth or ganon with your instant uair while they're standing, then work your way down to fox.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Is the hax dash totally invincible or is there a window to get hit (assuming it is done perfectly)?

If you are not invulnerable throughout the whole thing, then you have to use it at the right time. You have to make it look like you've decided to try to edge-hop into an invincible attack so that they move back to punish you, and then you just fade away back to the edge and can potentially make it back on. Mix it up with regular edge stall tactics (let go of the edge and jump back to it).

On a side note, is your username a reference to Mount & Blade: Warband?

gravy

Smash Ace
Hax dash is totally invincible if done correctly, as is a normal ledge drop regrab.

SAUS

Smash Ace
In that case you just have to be faster at it and the other replies are better suited to help you. It's still probably good to mix it up so that they potentially mess up and allow you onto the stage.

CountOlaf

Smash Cadet
Is the hax dash totally invincible or is there a window to get hit (assuming it is done perfectly)?

If you are not invulnerable throughout the whole thing, then you have to use it at the right time. You have to make it look like you've decided to try to edge-hop into an invincible attack so that they move back to punish you, and then you just fade away back to the edge and can potentially make it back on. Mix it up with regular edge stall tactics (let go of the edge and jump back to it).

On a side note, is your username a reference to Mount & Blade: Warband?
Thanks for the help. Sorry, but my name isn't a reference to that. Its just a name that I used to use when I played ganondorf, but I just started using it permanently.

CommonerCoffee

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if there's a small guide out there on what to do off a grab in certain percents?

Mainly interested in what Falcon can do to Marth and Sheik off a grab.
I'm pretty sure there are some guaranteed setups but I can't really remember. Pretty sure we get nothing guaranteed on spacies, right?

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Hi guys :3

I've got an idea; why not make a gif thread about things you can do in certain situations just like they have on the marth boards?

D

Deleted member

u ppl should follow me on twitter and ask me questions there, I will answer anything

@S2JFALCON

==
2014 is going to be an amazing, happy new years

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
u ppl should follow me on twitter and ask me questions there, I will answer anything

@S2JFALCON

==
2014 is going to be an amazing, happy new years
*creating a Twitter*

1 more follower, 1 more towards taking down Westballz

Last edited:

CountOlaf

Smash Cadet
Any advice on getting back on stage against Marth? my main training partner plays a very cautious marth. If I manage to make it to the ledge, I really struggle to make it back to center stage. He mainly spaces nairs and dtilits on my shield. I can't roll or i will get grabbed, and my aerials oos get beaten. I would wavedash oos, but I would just end up back on the ledge. Sometimes I try to dj oos and waveland on a platform, but he has caught on and started to uptilt on reaction. Any advice?

Zhea

Smash Ace
If marth get's you off stage you are pretty much dead. Best thing you can do is learn how to fade back with up-b and hope he whiffs his edgeguard or learn to smash di into the stage and tech it. It's a really fast matchup. If falcon is put off stage marth dumpsters him. If falcon gets a grab it could be marth's stock.

Zhea

Smash Ace
I guess ways to avoid him doing stupid things:

If he's standing on the edge and swinging like a mongoloid, sdi tech and immediately up - b in his face cause he is dumb and stupid and should feel dumb and stupid.

If he jumps out at you, either ff below him and dj->up-b(be ready to tech, he's going to up-b you in to the stage) or try to beat him out with a knee or uair.

If he decides to sit there charging shield breaker, just recover as high as you can.

If he f-smashes you or shield breakers you, DI straight up and try to gain height so you can Falcon Kick and get you DJ back.

If he d-tilts you, you basically have to survival di (up and in) and keep up-bing back and pray he either screws up or tries to do something besides d-tilt(also screwing up).

If he is trying to be fancy shmancy and just hold and then ledge hop dair you, you have to sdi like a god into the stage and tech it. Then up-b in his stupid smug face.

If he just holds the edge your options are A) try not to cry and B) cry a lot.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I like how all of these options come from you playing against King the other day. I heard you guys played for something close to 12+ hours.

also the first one and the last one had me in tears. :chuckle:

another note to recovering against marth is the hax dash. not just standard hax dashing, but hax dashing to the ledge and DJ -> wavelanding onto the side platform or dj -> waveland from the side plat -> regrabing edge -> edge dashing or other stupid things that you may or may not get punished for. my point is for you to have an array of mixups to get back to the stage. (I should probably use more of them so that I don't get dtilted)

Last edited:

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
Playing a decent amount of PM was not a good idea. Cannot SHFFL because of short hopping requiring a more precise time than PM.

Also what can I do against players who just punish my air moves by shielding and then grabbing? Any aerials I can use that are safe on shield besides spaced out nairs?

Zhea

Smash Ace
Tomahawk or dd grab. If they start swinging instead mix it up with low single hit nairs or low late knee on shield to grab. If you space on shield either buffer roll, get good at dashing through them or gentlemen to keep them honest.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
When you have no one else to play with, what are some things you can do to practice with CPUs? I know the ICs L canceling practice, but what else is there?

RedGamer

Smash Ace
have you tried practicing throw combos with a second controller and a rubber band on training mode?
have you tried practicing stomp -> nair -> uair -> knee on marth at 45% on FD?
have you tried this while decreasing the percents in intervals of 5 until you can land this combo at 15% ?
have you tried to consistently JV 5 stock a level 5 comp?
have you tried to fine tune your tech skill in the 1 player glitch until get it SUPER crisp?
have you tried Dash Dance spacing?
have you tried sexying up your falcon with style?

Zhea

Smash Ace
Do you have 2 controllers? One of them can be crap.
If so go into training mode and practice your throw combos.
1. Select your training dummy (Marth and Sheik are good picks because combos on them with good di have very tight timing)
2. Hold the opposite direction of the DI you want to practice against on the second controller and plug it in(Away and Down + Away are good DI's to practice as they tend to be the optimum DI to get out of Falcon Combos)
3. Set the Control to Human
4. Let them run off the edge and respawn
5. Pause when they leave the platform
6. Wait for invincibility to wear off.
7. Unpause, run after them and JC Grab
8. Throw and Combo
9. Return to the spawn
10. Repeat 5 - 9

Some bread and butters to get you started:
70% - 90% Down + Away DI on Marth and Sheik. Up-throw to running shffle'd knee
30% - 60% Down + Away DI on Marth and Sheik. Up-throw to running shffle'd instant uair, follow up with knee or uair.

You can also do the above with no di to practice punishing marth's for di-ing your d-throw poorly with nair and uair. This should actually rack the combo meter up. If you are too slow you will get faired by a real player.
dthrow->nair/uair->regrab->dthrow->nair/uair->regrab->pummel->uthrow->instant uair.

Also, I find a good drill for l-cancels is going into a 1-2 minute game with a fully handicapped bowser with .5 damage multiplier. Get a second controller an hold up before plugging it in to the slot bowser is in and go to FD (Hold Bowser's Control stick up or put it as the only selectable stage on random). Pick and areal and hit bowser with it as many times as you can before time runs out. Be sure to kill either you or Bowser before time is up. In the stat screen see how many aerials you performed by scrolling to the more detailed pages. See how high you can get to per minute. It gives you a tangible goal to measure up to when working on shffles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When you have no one else to play with, what are some things you can do to practice with CPUs? I know the ICs L canceling practice, but what else is there?
there is no substitute for playing people, thats the best way to learn

if u still live in san diego, there are plenty of bad and good players in san diego to level up from

Top Bottom