• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

dkuo

Smash Lord
i think falcon is the lowest on the tier list you can go where you can complain about your character and have less than half the community roll their eyes at you

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
I like you
See? It's workin

Yes, he is not amazing like those characters are, but compare those matchups with how link is in those matchups - or other characters like bowser, mario, DK, etc. Captain falcon is probably the worst character that is widely used, but is far from being a bad character when you look at every character below him on the tier list.

Yeah I know he's a lot better than those low tier characters. The point I'm trying to make is that he's bad compared to the characters that "matter" and are frequently used. Being better than link doesn't matter very much if they're never in the top 50 of nationals. For the record, I'm not trying to say he's incapable of winning or anything, but like, man.....................

i think falcon is the lowest on the tier list you can go where you can complain about your character and have less than half the community roll their eyes at you
people don't take too kindly to pika complaints

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I play falcon cause I want people to like me

LOL, well I suppose that is part of it. Who doesn't know about SMUCKS!?

From what I remember by playing you is that, you need to take more opportunities, I know you missed a ton when you played me. Don't be scared of the pressure!! There's always a way out.. except when you are off-stage lol.

SAUS

Smash Ace
the main thing I remember is being more scared than I've ever been of a ganondorf
Kage has too much warrior spirit - so much so that his intimidation aura owns you before you even play. Then you get 2/3-stocked. That's how my games used to go with him anyway.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage has too much warrior spirit - so much so that his intimidation aura owns you before you even play. Then you get 2/3-stocked. That's how my games used to go with him anyway.

Many players kill themselves before I even do anything.. It happens so much too.. I win when players are pushed at the edge of the cliff then just decide to suicide. =( I just want to help them by punching them, you know?

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Many players kill themselves before I even do anything.. It happens so much too.. I win when players are pushed at the edge of the cliff then just decide to suicide. =( I just want to help them by punching them, you know?
Maybe one of these years I will get to play you. I definitely wouldn't kill myself lol, I would be too stoked just to play you. If only you came to the South...

gravy

Smash Ace
Is it settled that there's no more falcon johns? Get over your 3 or 4 iffy matchups.

SAUS

Smash Ace
How do you do the gentleman cancel? Also, why is it called gentleman? Thanks.

EDIT
Looked it up and apparently I am supposed to press Z and A at the same time for the third jab. Some people say I press Z shortly after A, but I'll experiment. Question on the name still stands.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
So I competed at PATS 3. Got bopped in pools but in Friendlies I went against a few players who I actually beat. They at least knew some stuff like SHFFL, WD and those main parts.

My knees throughout the day though were really on point. Got a lot of hits on the sweet spot.

I kept messing up my SHFFL and a lot of people were telling me that if I knew how to do that I could do a lot more damage to them and the games would be a lot closer.

The main question I have with MUs though is Luigi. I played this guy at pools (John was his name) and he would WD with Luigi and he just moves so fast and quick lol. Once he got my off stage he would just slide to the side and hit me and slide to the other side. I couldn't get back on stage. He would also WD and use some forward kick, I'm assuming a good punish is shield grab?

Also this is a dumb question but if someone shields an aerial I do, what can I do to ensure I don't get punished? Because I would go against Marth and he would just see an aerial comin and shield it. Once that happened he just grabs me and does a chain grab.

Do I have to make my aerials just not seem so obvious that I'm going for them?

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
So I competed at PATS 3. Got bopped in pools but in Friendlies I went against a few players who I actually beat. They at least knew some stuff like SHFFL, WD and those main parts.

My knees throughout the day though were really on point. Got a lot of hits on the sweet spot.

I kept messing up my SHFFL and a lot of people were telling me that if I knew how to do that I could do a lot more damage to them and the games would be a lot closer.

The main question I have with MUs though is Luigi. I played this guy at pools (John was his name) and he would WD with Luigi and he just moves so fast and quick lol. Once he got my off stage he would just slide to the side and hit me and slide to the other side. I couldn't get back on stage. He would also WD and use some forward kick, I'm assuming a good punish is shield grab?

Also this is a dumb question but if someone shields an aerial I do, what can I do to ensure I don't get punished? Because I would go against Marth and he would just see an aerial comin and shield it. Once that happened he just grabs me and does a chain grab.

Do I have to make my aerials just not seem so obvious that I'm going for them?
SHFFL is possibly the most important part of Falcon, you need to make sure that you have those down. With the Luigi MU, I can't help too much. If they shield your aerial, you can jab after your aerial sometimes to prevent getting shieldgrabbed. Or you just need better spacing.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
How do you do the gentleman cancel? Also, why is it called gentleman? Thanks.

EDIT
Looked it up and apparently I am supposed to press Z and A at the same time for the third jab. Some people say I press Z shortly after A, but I'll experiment. Question on the name still stands.

You can probably look up why it's called gentleman later, but you can do things other than press Z and A for the gentleman. They key is pretty much buffering an input in the middle of your third jab. You can use Z or the triggers to buffer shield, hold a direction to buffer a walk/crouch/etc, and this buffered action will cancel out the rapid jabs. I personally hold down while I'm pressing A to get the gentleman.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
Does Sheik weigh the same as Zelda? Just wondering for CPU sparring purposes lol

Zhea

Smash Ace
No. Zelda don't share any properties with Sheik as far as I know, they have different Fast Fall Speed, Weight and Traction. Also they don't have the same throw stun(not sure what it's called).

gravy

Smash Ace
What do you mean by throw stun? Stun of throws scales evenly for every character.

SAUS

Smash Ace
What do you mean by throw stun? Stun of throws scales evenly for every character.
I think he means how long it takes to throw them. For example, use C Falcon and down-throw samus. Then do the same to mr game & watch. The speed of all this is based on weight though, not on a separate variable (not 100% sure but that's just what I've noticed).

gravy

Smash Ace
Yah I'm not sure what that's called either, but I know that it depends on weight and only applies to dthrow.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Falco on FD feels like the absolute worst matchup in the game to me

This probably means I need work on my ground game vs. Falco. How do you guys make it work? I know about WD OOS and all that, but maybe I'm too impatient or my spacing isn't up to par, cuz at best I avoid getting aerial/laser-ed -> combo, but at worst I eat an approaching aerial when I'm backing off or I eat a bair/utilt when I try to approach.

Just looking for tips/observations about what I can do against Falco in that sort of situation.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I find that if I grab Falco, he's in a ton of trouble. I usually try move in such a manner that he backs towards the edge. I usually take a ton of damage in the process, but from there they usually try to get away from the edge and leave an opening. If you keep threatening them like this, they can get flustered and sometimes there is not a safe way for them to come back to center stage. I typically just throw out nairs since they have lots of range, but spacing is extremely important, and it is dangerous to throw your moves out too often because one punish can easily mean death/100% damage.

I think a big thing for this matchup is to keep your cool. You are going to get hit by A LOT of things that are painful and you will get combod pretty hard, but that is just how the matchup goes. Just keep your cool and focus on your game plan.

EDIT
I realised I didn't really explain how I try to make the Falco move towards the edge. I usually full-hop into bair or nair and spacing is extremely important. Anytime you are really close to him (too close for him to laser) , spaced nairs can be brutal. Forward-b is also notable because after the start-up animation, you become immune to projectiles (don't know exactly when it starts). It's good because it goes through lasers and can catch the Falco off guard. Just don't do it too much lol.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I play as falco vs falcon a lot, and I also play falcon vs falco a lot (dual mains). I just want to give my opinion and confirm/challenge a few ideas.
Brace yourself cause this may or may not be a long post.
Falco on FD feels like the absolute worst matchup in the game to me.

This probably means I need work on my ground game vs. Falco. How do you guys make it work?
For now, I will just share my FD specific exp.

Look for holes in the approach. things like mis-spaced lasers, mis-spaced aerials, mis-spaced dashdancing, mis-spaced everything really...
If their laser control (spacing and height) isn't on point, then you can just dodge gracefully. if they shoot a high laser too close to your shield, grab them.
Nair oos is a good mixup for when their spacing is better, but still not sharp.

Try to get some angles in your nair approach, this may require full hopping, double jumping, or short hop non-fast falling.
If you get hit by a laser, return to the ground and try again.
Something that I found that helps me is mixing in shielding when you dash dance, and then nair oos almost immediately.
If you powershield the laser, cool beans. If not, then you shielded it and can still nair out. lasers don't have much hit stun.
you can shield -> nair high/mid lasers, and nair over low lasers.

I know about WD OOS and all that, but maybe I'm too impatient or my spacing isn't up to par, cuz at best I avoid getting aerial/laser-ed -> combo, but at worst I eat an approaching aerial when I'm backing off or I eat a bair/utilt when I try to approach.
like saus said, always keep your cool. As for your WD oos, it can't become your only option or you risk becoming predictable and are punished.
mix up your oos options. one thing I like to do is WD in when they approach and grab, or WD out when they Bair/UTilt and nair. Of course you have to be good at reading these situations.

I find that if I grab Falco, he's in a ton of trouble. I typically just throw out nairs since they have lots of range, but spacing is extremely important, and it is dangerous to throw your moves out too often because one punish can easily mean death/100% damage. I think a big thing for this matchup is to keep your cool. You are going to get hit by A LOT of things that are painful and you will get combod pretty hard, but that is just how the matchup goes. Just keep your cool and focus on your game plan. I usually full-hop into bair or nair and spacing is extremely important. Anytime you are really close to him (too close for him to laser), spaced nairs can be brutal.
This is such good advice, I think I'll quote this again later.
When you grab falco, he's dead if you don't mess up.
Zhea's falcon is SUPER GOOD at killing me when I get grabbed. ask him, he knows.

Forward-b is also notable because after the start-up animation, you become immune to projectiles (don't know exactly when it starts). It's good because it goes through lasers and can catch the Falco off guard. Just don't do it too much lol.
This is actually incorrect in the statement that it's immune to projectiles, low lasers will catch the forward-bad decision and is easily punished. but it is a good mixup.

Edit: this is my 404th post so you may not find it.

SAUS

Smash Ace
This is actually incorrect in the statement that it's immune to projectiles, low lasers will catch the forward-bad decision and is easily punished. but it is a good mixup. Will edit later.
Ya I don't think it's good to use often, but maybe once every couple games. I'm not really sure how it works but I know you can go through projectiles at some point. I don't know if it's his whole body or not, but yes, if you miss with it, you will feel the pain for doing so.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Ya I don't think it's good to use often, but maybe once every couple games. I'm not really sure how it works but I know you can go through projectiles at some point. I don't know if it's his whole body or not, but yes, if you miss with it, you will feel the pain for doing so.
Fun Facts: you don't ever go through projectiles, but rather under them. which is why mid/high lasers (like other mid/high projectiles) don't work and low lasers (like other low projectiles) do. Also, the startup is long enough to be noticed and any part of the move can be punished with falco's nair or dair. I've done it and I've had it done to me.
It's only good for mixup purpose only and like you said shouldn't be used often.

@Twinkles: you didn't bring this up but I think that it's useful info.
During shield pressure, your dair will beat their shine in some situations and both moves are started at the same time. Use with caution.
whats good guys
Sup.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I do indeed know about dair OOS

I know about side-B under lasers, and I don't like it because it feels hella gimmicky, easy-to-beat, and doesn't produce as super of a reward as i would like

Nair OOS out of laser hitstun sounds pretty good, Imma definitely try to work it in.

Also want to work on my nair angles, but it feels really hard to make it work on FD. Nair from a full-hop or a double jump seems hella easy to counter, but maybe I don't know how to space it properly. How do falcons do high nairs to that they don't get utilted, baired, or have their jump sniped with a shine?

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
Does anyone know any good Falcon vs. Peach videos? All I can find is some Hax vs Armada.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I didn't say which stream i'd be watching :p

besides I can always find out KoC3 results on youtube and shoutout threads.

Edit: is it the same weekend? whoops.

gravy

Smash Ace
By the way I ended up getting to second round pools and then losing to hugs, duck, zhu, L, and Tai. Pools were really tough.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
hey gravy, it's zeo

saw you and venom getting chummy...knew you guys would get along great!

Top Bottom