• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I should probably mention that I use the angled method for ALL my shield drops, so I know what you're talking about lol

ZeroHackerX

Smash Rookie
I have not found success with crouch cancel downtilt....

also lol at hax's old name

you cc the 1st laser and down tilt falco. he gets popped up (assuming the percentage is high enough) and you can knee, upair, dash attack, or ask for moves to be shown. cc dtilt has drawbacks but it's pretty good a lot of the times vs lhdl

Zhea

Smash Ace
A slightly more downcast post than I usually make. As Evo approaches and my time with the game reaches about 2 years I find myself struggling to improve. I get to play 3+ times a week fro several hours with other players of higher skill level. I practice in my off time. I sit down and think about matchups and review my recorded matches. And the one thing I come back to for why I lose is that I lack consistency. I know my punishes, I know what I have to do to hit them and I can hit them, but I screw it up a lot when push comes to shove. Practicing on my own I can hit them 90% of the time, but I'll miss the easiest punishes for no good reason. It's frustrating, because Falcon has to hit those or usually loses his stock for it.

So I ask you, are you consistent at this point in your smash career? How long have you been playing? At what point did the practice finally sink in for you?

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really consistent because while I've been playing this game for almost 3 years, I've only mained falcon for a couple months and have even more recently decided to try to play a particularly fast style so I try a lot of difficult stuff that usually ends with me dying. I definitely still screw up simple tech chase regrabs every once in a while as well though, particularly against players whom I believe to be better than me. Nerves can be quite a pain lol.

I also have a question though, which I hope doesn't overshadow this one nor get ignored:
when dthrow techchasing a space animal, what is the best way to cover missed techs? Particularly when they di the throw away so a wavedash forward wouldn't put me within range to jab reset. Should I be able to knee that on reaction? The idea of that seems pretty daunting, but I was hoping there's like a really simple answer that I'm missing.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Knee/stomp on reaction sounds like the best case scenario afaik
You can also just try baiting something bad out of the getupI dunno, maybe I play with my food too much when they miss the techJust remember to kinda run forward a bit when they DI away so you can get the followup

Zhea

Smash Ace
Pretty sure you can knee on reaction for missed techs. Or foxtrot up to them and force the roll/getup and do standard punishes from there. As far as your punish select that's kind of up to you. If they didn't tech, odds are they missed it, meaning that at low percents stomping will cause another missed tech to build percent. If they are at the edge I would say knee them at early percents. If they survival DI they will have a low trajectory and you can either edge hog or invincible bair. them I They DI up (away is pretty much suicide) You can full hop out their and uair them. If they aren't near the edge, stomping to get damage and continue the tech chase is pretty solid. If they are at mid percents stomp knee will pretty much set you up for a edge guard. Higher percents I would just knee them to keep their trajectory low. There was a post by Wenbo recently (Last few months, but hey this thread doesn't move fast) that had a great break down of covering multiple options when tech chasing.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
zhea part of achieving consistent results is figuring out how to put yourself in an environment to succeed. If you truly "know what to do" and are capable of performing those actions, then all that's left is mental. Conquering performance anxiety is the mix of confidence and being able to remove the pressure you put on yourself to succeed.

Put yourself in the situations where you break under pressure as much as possible until it no longer affects you.

gravy

Smash Ace
Zhea, I have only been playing just over a year now, and I'm pretty consistent by now. The thing that helped me the most was ridiculous amounts of practice(everyone will say the same thing,) but there's more than just that. I think there's a lot to be said for minimizing your controller motions, making sure you move your fingers as little as possible and stuff like that (which is why claw is amazing.) if you minimize the amount of things you could make an error in, logic states you will encounter less errors. Other than that though, I think pushing yourself to do something very difficult will help make you better at the easier stuff. I used shield drops as my difficult thing, but everyone can have something different. I don't know if I helped, but that's my two cents.
On a side note, it is alarmingly difficult to knee missed techs just because of the spacing. They can di too far away to short hop at them, and if you dash you can easily go too far. I'm serious, test it out sometime.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Zhea, I have only been playing just over a year now, and I'm pretty consistent by now. The thing that helped me the most was ridiculous amounts of practice(everyone will say the same thing,) but there's more than just that. I think there's a lot to be said for minimizing your controller motions, making sure you move your fingers as little as possible and stuff like that (which is why claw is amazing.) if you minimize the amount of things you could make an error in, logic states you will encounter less errors. Other than that though, I think pushing yourself to do something very difficult will help make you better at the easier stuff. I used shield drops as my difficult thing, but everyone can have something different. I don't know if I helped, but that's my two cents.
On a side note, it is alarmingly difficult to knee missed techs just because of the spacing. They can di too far away to short hop at them, and if you dash you can easily go too far. I'm serious, test it out sometime.
Yeah dude you were way better than me when we played at apex. I was seriously impressed. I've gotten a lot better since than(I can actually play more than once a week now), and I guess the real answer is just more practice.

Also my first round match at Evo is M2K. Ken was also in my pool, but has been moved since then. So basically I figure I'll take a trip to losers and get put down by Cyrain eventually.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Yeah dude you were way better than me when we played at apex. I was seriously impressed. I've gotten a lot better since than(I can actually play more than once a week now), and I guess the real answer is just more practice.

Also my first round match at Evo is M2K. Ken was also in my pool, but has been moved since then. So basically I figure I'll take a trip to losers and get put down by Cyrain eventually.

Thats the spirit! lol

I look forward to playing with you guys if you can come to the next apex o_o

Zhea

Smash Ace
Oh I will make a point of going to most majors, now that I have money and vacation days. Apex especially. Looking to do the Big House as well.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
To any falcons who went to EVO

Any thoughts on the tournament?
It was a great experience as a fan of the game. Not as many friendly setups but that's the tradeoff for an event that isn't smash exclusive. Best part was definitely how many homies from other regions were here. Evo is an extremely well run event.

Plus its a vacation in vegas so you can gamble and go clubbing and ****.

Traveling to national tournies is so worth it. Its enough incentive to work the rest of your life around a special weekend

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
It was a great experience as a fan of the game. Not as many friendly setups but that's the tradeoff for an event that isn't smash exclusive. Best part was definitely how many homies from other regions were here. Evo is an extremely well run event.

Plus its a vacation in vegas so you can gamble and go clubbing and ****.

Traveling to national tournies is so worth it. Its enough incentive to work the rest of your life around a special weekend

good to hear, and word on the street is that Mr. Wizard is seriously considering #onemoreyear ;)

Im ashamed of you, Mango. You abandoned me when I needed you most :falconmelee:

hey man, mango's not a falcon main. no need to be salty 'bout that

a bit sad about s2j and hax's performance because i think both could've made it farther. falcon's a hard character. still, wobbles absolutely DOMINANT performance today gives me more hope that any character high-tier or above can do damage if given the opportunity.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
hey man, mango's not a falcon main. no need to be salty 'bout that

a bit sad about s2j and hax's performance because i think both could've made it farther. falcon's a hard character. still, wobbles absolutely DOMINANT performance today gives me more hope that any character high-tier or above can do damage if given the opportunity.
I was talking about GF, I was looking forward to seeing a Falcon vs IC's, the legendary 90 / 90 matchup (not a mistake, both of these character **** each other and each has very strong advantages against the other)

Windrose

Smash Lord
well according to mango falcon ic is 90-10 for falcon.

it's a lot of patience and playing to perfection because messing up = get grabbed = stock.
match ups like these stress me out and you can only blame yourself for losing.

Hax

Smash Champion
I can't even describe how sad I am about my loss to PP this weekend. I was up 3 stocks to 2 in game 3 and blew it. Played my ****ing heart out that set. Had I hit a single edgeguard in game 3 I would've taken it. I would've gone on to qualify for winners top 8 (the energy in me would've been unreal). I wouldve gotten to play in front of 130,000 people. Top 8 would have had Captain Falcon. I would've likely beaten Wobbles to guarantee Top 3 and, idk, around $700? Even if the run ended there, I'd have been so satisfied.

Gonna regret that loss for the rest of my life. Never have I wanted more to just sell out and play Fox or something. I'm so tired of outplaying people and still losing. It's costing me too much at this point; mentally, financially, everything.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I can't even describe how sad I am about my loss to PP this weekend. I was up 3 stocks to 2 in game 3 and blew it. Played my ****ing heart out that set. Had I hit a single edgeguard in game 3 I would've taken it. I would've gone on to qualify for winners top 8 (the energy in me would've been unreal). I wouldve gotten to play in front of 130,000 people. Top 8 would have had Captain Falcon. I would've likely beaten Wobbles to guarantee Top 3 and, idk, around $700? Even if the run ended there, I'd have been so satisfied.

Gonna regret that loss for the rest of my life. Never have I wanted more to just sell out and play Fox or something. I'm so tired of outplaying people and still losing. It's costing me too much at this point; mentally, financially, everything.

]: your face at the ending says it all

falco's a dumb ****ing matchup for sure. your set vs. peepee reminded me of isai vs. forward, another set that's pretty heart-breaking for any falcon main

i dunno, give yourself some time and think (or don't think) on it. i don't think you'd sell out to play a higher tier and I'm sure it's not what you want, but nobody can say except you dude. whatever you do though, i'm sure ur fans (myself included) will support you no matter what.

btw, how do you di falco's shines? from the video, it looks like you're DI'ing away. something sung told me, i'm not sure if you've already tried it and found it lacking, but sung told me to SDI falco shines up. You kinda fly up super far and the only good follow-ups falco seems to have at low % is like a DJ dair (which I don't think will lead to anything good at low % except maybe utilt) and uair.

this seems pretty useful on FD cuz then Falco can't carry you around the stage to do dumb 50% combos.

GCS Gaming Customs

Stay strong, Hax, we Falcon players live a hard life of dedication to overcome spacies and ninjas. Don't take any knee for granted...

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Hax is the falcon main we need, but not the one we deserve :(. It really sucks that the two best falcon mains had to take each other out, but that just means there needs to be more amazing falcon mains I guess.

Also the falcon matchup is ******** because if you lose the first match, you're practically doomed. Falcon mains should be given two bans in that matchup :D. Still, amazing effort to almost take that third match on FD, Hax. Like you said, it was just a couple of edgeguards that determined the whole thing. Too bad falcon isn't allowed to make mistakes

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman

I think all long time Falcon mains feel this way. Obviously it's amplified by your skill level and place in the community. But I still see enough room for improvement so that I don't want to switch, and I hope you feel this way too. Even though you are way better than me, there were still some obvious errors in your play (I don't mean mental things, just like input errors, missed free punishes, etc). I'm still hoping that one day we will see a Falcon player that can show some robotic perfection. That missed knee/SD against Ice was the most heartbreaking moment of tournament for me. It looked like you had the momentum and you would take it to a game 3, but then everything just went to ****. Since Jeapie beat Ice at BEAST3, I also expected that you could do the same.

It's a shame that missing one opportunity as Falcon, especially when playing against spacies, is so costly. But that's the nature of the character, and that's Melee as well. It will be a huge blow to all of us if you switch, but I don't think anyone would blame you. As someone who started going to tournaments in 2012, I feel like this game might just be too ****ing hard for me. I don't want to play another character, but I practice so much, and I'm still so ****ty compared to good players. I got Master's League in SC2 playing for one day one year after the game was released. To struggle making it out of pools in NorCal locals is just so ****ing demoralizing.

Also the falcon matchup is ******** because if you lose the first match, you're practically doomed. Falcon mains should be given two bans in that matchup :D
Word. This is one of the most annoying parts about playing against Falco. I hate striking against him as well because I never know what they are going to strike. Moreover, depending on their style, I might want drastically different stages.

Zhea

Smash Ace

First off, Hax, thanks for playing me for a game. I went to evo trying to hit up all the major falcons there (You, S2J, SS, Scar, Lord, Noobking) and only managed to get a game with you. Got interrupted when I was playing SS. Still I really appreciated it.

Second, and I mean this, you are so close to the top of falcon's meta. You have literally redefined match up numbers. You said it yourself, if you had been playing on top you could have beaten any of the top 8.

Third, and I know that this is going to sound pretty lame coming from a 2-year scrub who has issues with this as well, but you have to let it go.

PP took fifth, M2K had the same thing happen to him (Some of it was just bad character choices) and Hungry box basically got beat by Sopo. And Wobbles, he played his ass off and systematically took out every single one of the american top 4 only to get destroyed in Grand Finals. It's not like he was playing poorly either, Mango just sat down and decided to actually play the match-up and it wasn't pretty. I have a feeling out side of Mango and maybe Wobbles, no one in the top 8 felt good about there Evo performance.

And then there's Mango. He has had to live in Armada's shadow since genesis 2. And it bugged him, you know it ate him up something fierce. Looking at his shift in and out of retirement I think he went through a lot of what you are going through right now. But he pushed past it. That's what you have to do Hax, push past it. It will take time, it won't be easy, but Grand Finals is waiting. One more year.

GCS Gaming Customs

Zhea : Dude, nice take on this whole deal. I'm sure Hax appreciates the support, I bet the other top players (except Mango, of course) aren't so happy about what happened either and are seeking help and advice in their own character forums.

Hax, you have introduced a new, intuitive spin to falcon's combo game along with a very high technical game. I would definitely say you are my favorite Falcon, I would personally call you the best. If there was any advice I could give you to better improve yourself besides perfecting what you already have, it would be to MASTER your chain grabs and tech chases. Review the hotboxes and frame data, study the best chase against each character, look at the damage you deal in your chase and how you make your opponent feel (I feel like a lot of Falcons ignore this, M2k's sheik is pretty good at making your character feel helpless and dead before the game even starts no matter who you main, and the grab ends it and really crushes the other player mentally) develop a methodical approach to every opponent and his or her play style along with their main. Whatever other mechanics in your falcon game you feel don't satisfy you, only you have the power to make em.

Bro, you got this. Falcon mains around the whole world know your name and respect your high technical and combo game. Keep at it, and keep your Falcon game, besides having a whole community of awesome people behind you and your main, ask yourself if you can stick with :falconmelee:, and see what you really think is the right decision.

Remember, since there are more Spacies mains than Falcons, by theory, the Spacies metagame must be further developed than Falcons. We as the Falcon community have the potential, and you hold a large portion of it in your technical game alone. So what are you going to do with it?

I hope this helps. Remember what you have so far, and what it can be, then decide what you will do with it before you make a bad decision, like this :foxmelee:

Crom

Smash Journeyman

No way man, no regrets. You are the most beast falcon I've ever seen, and watching you was my favorite part out of all of evo. Melee is only growing, future tournaments + evo next year you'll have an even bigger stage to prove yourself.

Falcon is the embodiment fighting spirit and manly perseverance against all odds. You may have taken that loss hard, but seeing you dominate that hard and lose only due to some ledge guarding errors made me more excited than ever to see your falcon progress into perfection.... and possibly even win it all.

Keep it up, you're awesome.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Yeah lord rarely goes to tournies. The last time he attended locals with any regularity was prob in like 2011. There are some vids of him vs shroomed at those tournies

Edit: he played more falco than falcon at that time though

Top Bottom