• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
Yo so i think a found a way of edgeuarding thats simple and looks cool. Basically if your opponent is recovering on battlefield or dreamland,go to the plat closest to the ledge, Wavedash off and input any aerial(mainly bair or knee) and itll stop them from getting on obviously. Here is a demonstration in a friendly between me and a friend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVUY...DvjVQa1PpcFNo5cEXSeRwLktyyQ3kAek2_-TzW3mhAxc=

If you use it to knee you look mad cute c:

What do yall think? Sorry i paused i got excited cause it worked lol

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Kinda risky. If they are going to illusion to the edge you're better off just grabbing it and then rolling back on stage.

Looks flashy tho.

D

Deleted member

not too related but i really like grab edge --> drop off b-air --> regrab edge without double jumping a lot works in a LOT of spots

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
Kinda risky. If they are going to illusion to the edge you're better off just grabbing it and then rolling back on stage.

Looks flashy tho.
yeah i really like looking flashy haha im gonna keep testing this out and see whats up. i see what you're saying though by risky. i wouldnt try it against a falcon or ganon for obvious reasons.

not too related but i really like grab edge --> drop off b-air --> regrab edge without double jumping a lot works in a LOT of spots
yeah what you said does work really ****ing good. glad to see responses so fast:awesome:

D

Deleted member

if you press away and jump back-air then di back towards the edge pretty quick you will regrab it

OH WAIT LMAO I TYPED THE ORIGINAL **** WRONG not drop off b-air

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Been playing against a fox who really knows the MU well. Getting ***** pretty bad. Not even sure what I'm doing wrong other than ****ing up stupid tech skill and not capitalizing hard enough.

Any tips vs a fox who's really good at the MU?

crush

Smash Master
if you press away and jump back-air then di back towards the edge pretty quick you will regrab it

you can regrab with uair and knee too, knee regrab is good sometimes if theyre ccing by the ledge at low-ish percents

tarheeljks

Smash Lord

i do this with z, what do you use

Been playing against a fox who really knows the MU well. Getting ***** pretty bad. Not even sure what I'm doing wrong other than ****ing up stupid tech skill and not capitalizing hard enough.

Any tips vs a fox who's really good at the MU?
got any vids?

this is going to sound really dumb/obvious, but aside from dropping too many combos/tech chases, the biggest problem i run into is just getting hit too much. too much as in just being hit by dumb stuff and not even making my opponent work for it. i like to be on the offensive*, which results in throwing out moves (e.g. nair) when i am not properly spaced and not respecting the speed of moves (e.g. foxes nair). former results in getting grabbed and the latter in losing to moves like nair/utilt/usmash. i know saying "space well" is not very helpful, but i think you have to make a conscious effort to space better to improve at it quickly. you will get worse in the short term b/c your movement will feel more awkward, but it will be better in the longrun.

you noted how fast he is, so i assume he's overwhelming you with pressure primarily. resist the urge to turtle up and shield b/c the oos options blow for the most part. everyone gets pushed into shield eventually, but i try to make it a last resort. once in shield i feel rolling out is generally dangerous and avoid it unless i feel strongly that they will pass through my shield, but johnny is really good at escaping pressure via rolling (possibly b/c he buffers rolls?) so it can work. probably just need good reads on their pressure strings to get away with it. i try to wd oos a lot now. doesn't create a ton of space, but it's often enough room to breathe and if they are mindlessly spamming tech you may get a grab out of it

i'd also say don't be afraid to shield grab. fox doesn't have many holes in his tech when executed well, but they exit. the risk of course is that you get shined/grabbed/etc but the risks of rolling are basically the same so i don't mind going for it. calculated risks ofc, don't grab haphazardly

when you're not in shield and just running around or w/e in neutral it's important to attack while moving. again sounds completely obvious, but i find myself attacking from stationary positions out of desperation-- when i get forced into tight spaces for example-- and it rarely works b/c fox is so fast. pivot attacks or fading away while attacking (esp nairing) are helpful tools for manipulating spacing and getting fox to run into moves. if you're chasing then overshooting attacks is good so he can't dash away and grab. once i've built up some damage i like using jab/gentleman against foxes that like to stay in my grill. better than throwing out a nair that they can easily evade. if you're really good at the quick uair you can hit fox on the way up, but idk if it's faster than a jab

none of this matters if your tech skill isn't on par. a technical/aggro fox really pushes it to the limit and run circles around you if you can't keep up. i've been working on getting in and out of my moves as quickly as possible. not simply nabbing all the l-cancels, but making sure i am onto the next action as quickly as the game allows. it's actually made me slower so far lol, but one step back for two forward hopefully

anyway i'm not good, so don't take this as gospel by any means, plus it's fairly general anyway so idk exactly how much help it will be. that said i've played a lot of falcon/fox and have been fortunate enough to have a lot of those matches come against a strong fox. so a lot of *** beatings to draw from lol

*which is ironic given that i really only talked about defensive options. the more i play this matchup the more i think you must have very strong defensive fundamentals

edit: di/sdi pretty essential as well. being able to sdi (i think it's sdi?) out of shines to make follow ups more difficult will extend your lifespan. also want to be able to grab the ledge out of a shine near the ledge to avoid being shined gimped. i believe this can be done with no di, but i often hold in just to be sure

crouch cancelling also important, but i can't elaborate on it's uses as i am terrible about using it. basically only remember to do it when i am trying to get weird techs at high %'s

Windrose

Smash Lord
wow, it's brookman and crush. they're back at it again!

also...gg7 is back? dang, i've been gone for too long

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Thanks for the reply. A lot of that stuff makes a lot of sense. I noticed him baiting out my nairs a lot and punishing me for it. Gotta try to space better.

Morin0

Smash Lord
iirc, s2j had 1 point left in order to be banned and he recently got an infraction for censor dodging but i'm pretty sure a censor doge infraction expires so he'll be banned until the infraction point expires I think. If the infraction is permanent, then yeah, he's banned forever which would be stupid.

Dulren

Smash Cadet
Gotta love when an important figure in the falcon community gets banned, nearly stagnating the boards and as a result, slowing the exchange of knowledge/progression of the character.

Makes me angry. Not that discussion won't continue, but cmon, we need s2j around -_-

:phone:

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
Gotta love when an important figure in the falcon community gets banned, nearly stagnating the boards and as a result, slowing the exchange of knowledge/progression of the character.

Makes me angry. Not that discussion won't continue, but cmon, we need s2j around -_-

IMO if he isn't back in like a week we start a petition to unban him :3

Hax

Smash Champion
i claim ownership of this thread whenever s2j is banned

what do you guys need

Dulren

Smash Cadet
Yo hax, how do I go about edge guarding Samus? I figure uair handles her if she attempts to go high (not that that ever happens), but I usually just wind up waiting for her to get back on map if she's recovering low (then just resorting to blast box killing her via knee or w/e), I feel pretty vulnerable going out after her and I haven't figured out a safe way o drop below the ledge to get her while she's grappling or something.

I know the MU is generally pretty easy, but this has been bothering me.

Hax

Smash Champion
samus is never gonna go high. as you said, you generally want to resort to blastbox. when she still has her grapple the only move i'd try intercepting it with is bair because even if you miss you can doublejump airdodge onstage safely. don't leave doublejump airdodge onstage range with said bair unless you have a really solid read and know you're gonna hit her; it's better not to risk your stock. if you manage to intercept her grapple she's hopeless though. intercept her up-b constantly with ledgehopped aerials (bair/uair mostly) and jump into her bombs offstage so she can't bombjump.

side-b is key vs marth. without it the matchup is 60-40 (maybe even worse) his favor but because of it it's 50-50. watch this (niko is top 5 marths in the world) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIgc9lO0rU4 .

Hax

Smash Champion
you always want to take characters you can juggle the **** out of to FD as long as it doesn't give them a chaingrab

ban FoD as per usual, at which point marth should take you to yoshi's

Hax

Smash Champion
yoshi's is probably best because her godly recovery no longer matters, but i take her to battlefield out of personal preference. yoshi's also makes her dsmash godlike due to low platforms.

when there isn't a blatantly obvious cp stage for a matchup i generally pick battlefield to minimize variance. too much jank on yoshi's, and there's even jank on dreamland because of the wind sometimes.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
btw, thanks for the help =)

1 last question, kinda big though

what do you do against falco
i suck at approaching him, pressuring him, and avoiding getting stuck in my shield

Hax

Smash Champion
forfeit

don't shield ever. when you're defending, dodge his attacks rather than shield.

get good at making falcos scared to laser by staying in his face and hitting him out of the startup of SHL a lot. don't stay in his face to the point that you're at shine range though; he ***** you at that range. stay a nair's distance away from him; ideal for pressuring him without getting mauled by his OP closerange options

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
LOL that sounds like any MU vs falco

but seriously, most chars best chance is to wait for falco to mess up. That works vs most falcos. Otherwise, you --NEED-- a controller that can powershield well. Those are the only 2 ways. I'm actually being serious.

People don't want to believe that, because it's not a nice thing to believe that you could be held back or disadvantaged by character/options and controller, but I swear to god it is the truth. Those are your best ways to fight him.

depending on the situation, a powershield could lead to a wavedash out of shield to a dashing JC grab before falco can spotdodge; sometimes it combos to grab sometimes it doesn't depending the situation.

vs Peach pokemon stadium is probably the best, because knee kills quick and chain grab isn't great there. Hax just likes battlefield the most personally and it would be fine vs chars like fox/falco who cannot recover as well, but peach can recover well on any stage, so a big main stage to run around + small sides (pokemon stadium) favors him more in that MU imo

Hax

Smash Champion
so much truth in M2K's posts

people don't like agreeing with them because they don't like admitting to melee's flaws

either that or they play/employ the character/strategy he's bashing

edit: my bad lets not derail the thread

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Every game inherently has flaws. The only perfect game is rock paper scissors because they are all equal. Other than that if you are playing to win you have to be ready to face anything. And finding a way to win may not simply be something you're doing wrong with your character. The right choice could be to switch characters completely if winning is your goal.

Top Bottom