• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
I've also been feeling like FoD is favorable for Falcon, but that could be bc other players arent looking to utilize it into their game so for now those that do will dominate it.
Small stages w/ plattys lets you edge cancel way easier and thus become hella faster.
Knowing when the plats will rise/fall can be used to decide when to throw in your edge cancelled mix ups, and if your opponent is getting used to you zipping across the stage then you can always use the simple run in and grab mixup.
The side platforms also allow for weird ways to dair ppl since your whole body glows red.
More weird recovery options is also a plus.

These advantages are only temporary though, until other characters decide to learn and implement their own wacky ****.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
i can't stand FoD. I have tried to play on that stage and it always feels so awkward to me. It is probably because i am more of a ground player than an arial player.

I have to really focus or i'll do nothing but SH all match.

I'm gonna start practicing platform canceling though. I saw you use some platform tricks at APEX Gahtzu, and s2j's platform canceling is pretty intense.

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
s2j's platform canceling is pretty intense.

YEAH I've added like 2-3 new trix from just watching him. Edge canceling is def a Falcon necessity to keep up with and "out hitbox" your opponents nowadayz.

edit: IMO the easiest way to practice edge canceling is to start below the CENTER of the platform, full hop or double jump (your preference), and then hold left or right as you begin to fast fall your aerial. 9/10 this works and is easy to incorporate into your play.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya but edge-canceling leaves you vulnerable for a few frames in between the moves at least that's how I see it. I mean it's good if they don't expect it but you can't do it too much or else you'll get counter-attacked before the edge canceling happens since it's a predictable positioning where you have to go near the platform edge. I mean you are already above the character most of the time which is a bad position for you to be, I'd say it's ok to do if your opponent is where he can't like bair you or something.

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
Ya but edge-canceling leaves you vulnerable for a few frames in between the moves at least that's how I see it. I mean it's good if they don't expect it but you can't do it too much or else you'll get counter-attacked before the edge canceling happens since it's a predictable positioning where you have to go near the platform edge. I mean you are already above the character most of the time which is a bad position for you to be, I'd say it's ok to do if your opponent is where he can't like bair you or something.

You're right, SO MIX IT UP.
Edge canceling just gives you another entire dimension of mixups within itself.

You choose to edgecancel->choose HOW you want to edge cancel->choose WHICH aerials to use
OR
you choose not to edgecancel and do the appropriate mixup

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya I was just saying pretty much, I mean you do have to understand why it's good or else you'll just do it without a purpose which is bad. I personally don't want players to go in the wrong direction with the stuff they learn.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Hey all,

I return with another Samus question... er questions.

What are your strategies for edge guarding Samus. At the moment I'm finding edgehogging a little risky because I don't quite have the timing down to safely regrab edge when Samus up-b's ( this is really bad because It put's me in either one of 2 bad situations when I screw up, which is getting hit by the back of it and getting that weird tumble gimp or landing on the stage while hit stunned and getting punished with a down smash ).

Also what do you do to punish a Samus for being up-b happy when you are trying to use platforms? Is there anyway to punish them if you get hit or is it a safe move as long as it hits?

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
Hey all,

I return with another Samus question... er questions.

What are your strategies for edge guarding Samus. At the moment I'm finding edgehogging a little risky because I don't quite have the timing down to safely regrab edge when Samus up-b's ( this is really bad because It put's me in either one of 2 bad situations when I screw up, which is getting hit by the back of it and getting that weird tumble gimp or landing on the stage while hit stunned and getting punished with a down smash ).

Also what do you do to punish a Samus for being up-b happy when you are trying to use platforms? Is there anyway to punish them if you get hit or is it a safe move as long as it hits?

Up-B is a super safe move that has invulnerability frames from startup or some bull****.

IF you're trying to edge guard her from below and you're not good at refreshing your invulnerability on the edge yet (this is pretty crucial and u should learn this ASAP imo) then.............
1. If she's sweet spotting/recovering close-ish to the edge you can dair her and get ready to react to some meteor-cancels. If she cancels immediately then dash toward the stage immediately to avoid the Up B and space a bair, if she cancels late then just dair again.
2. If she's recovering recklessly and Up-Bs over the edge feel free to knee that ***** or bair her if you wanna be safe.

Edge guarding Samus is hard since she has more recovery options than you have edge guards, and if you **** up or overextend prepare to lose a stock.
Once again refreshing your invulnerability is huge in this match up since u can cover both of her Up-B options and grapple options without getting electrocuted by either.

If you knock her far out and shes bombing back to the stage you have to scare her. Double jump toward her and she will most likely fall back, forcing her to recover lower. Mix just pretending to go out and hit her with actually going out and hitting her lol (she'll stop falling back after the double jump if she sees u never actually going for the hit). I usually try to bair or uair her since these are the safest.

There are other methods for edge guarding her but these are the ones i've found most helpful.

edit: You can punish bad Samus's Up-Bs if you get hit by one on stage, but better ones like Plup will edge cancel it on a platform and nair/bair you :(
If you know she likes to Up-B when you use plattys then SHIELD IT and you can punish from there.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Alright so the solution is pretty much suck it up and get better. Good to know, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Also thanks fro the heads up on the ledge cancel did not think about using that for up-bs... Time for science.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
FoD is just a pain in the *** for me, the weird plats screw up my jumps alot, i would prefer yoshis story anyday.
also check out my vid I will post in the video critique section shortly :D thank you ^.^

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I used to have problems with platforms on FoD messing up my SHFFL'd aerials, but eventually I just started to adapt my playstyle around the stage's obstacles and now I find it to be a great stage to CP people to since a lot of people that I play frequently don't like to go there. I still have trouble against Fox on FoD, though. :/

D

Deleted member

FoD is only truly bad when a platform decides to raise up to kok block height as you are doing a move

otherwise, its easy to gauge for me when to do moves or do a SHFFL without the FF part

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
isn't there some kind of paint that doesn't chip, at least not before a long time ?
This is the paint/process I am using. This controller, given the correct curing time, should last me minimum 3 months before any signs of wear tear. I also customized it even more in the sense that I put more finish coat on high contact areas of the controller specific to the way I hold the remote.

Now thats fancy ;)

And the grainy feel some may say they had with previous painted controllers depends on the type of paint and type of finish you use. My first controller had this because of the finish coat I used then. I also used completely different paints then. Still experimenting with different paints and what not but I think I have a solid prototype now with this controller. If I see wear tear sooner than I had wished, I'll just note to add a thicker layer of finish to the next controller I do.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
A smasher down in NC made my only painted controller for me, and the finish on it lasted probably a year before it started to chip. I believe he used some kind of car paint and gloss finish after sandpapering the controller a bit.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
A smasher down in NC made my only painted controller for me, and the finish on it lasted probably a year before it started to chip. I believe he used some kind of car paint and gloss finish after sandpapering the controller a bit.
This is nearly identical to the process I've put this controller through. Minor differences though in paint choice though probably.

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
I painted my first controller blue, I sanded it down before and all that stuff, but after a while it started to chip off all over the junk in my backpack. >_< my gamecube has blue on it now, hahaha

I kinda like the sandy feel, It helps me get a better grip (or feel like I have a better grip) on my controller. Though, I still prefer the standard colors and feel

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I painted my first controller blue, I sanded it down before and all that stuff, but after a while it started to chip off all over the junk in my backpack. >_< my gamecube has blue on it now, hahaha

I kinda like the sandy feel, It helps me get a better grip (or feel like I have a better grip) on my controller. Though, I still prefer the standard colors and feel
There's a type of paint that can actually give the exact feel you speak of lol. I think I might try it for my next controller actually.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
secret rocky strategy for spray-painting

paint the inside of a transparent shell LOL

Nakamaru

Smash Master
If only i had a clear top. haha.

I have a clear bottom that i want to put LEDs into. I saw DJnickrage's controller with them and it was too cool not to do.

LEDs > Paint

Zhea

Smash Ace
I return with another question!

Alright I know this has been discussed again and again and again ( until the end of time ), but what actually triggers the gentlemen? Been trying to practice it and it's frustrating not to know why it works some of the time ( using the tap a a a-hold method ) and not others.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Well, I'm not sure what exactly in the game's programming causes the gentleman, but I do know that if you're not getting the gentleman from the A A A-Hold method, you're not holding it long enough. The gentleman lasts 32 frames (about half a second), and that's how long you have to hold down the button to get it to work without going into rapid jab (at least I'm pretty sure this is the case). However, the gentleman's IASA (interruptible as soon as) frames start at frame 23, so you can do another input (as long as you're still holding A when you do the input) and interrupt the gentleman without going into rapid jab. What I like to do is input a dash out of a gentleman so I can follow up easily out of it. You can also shield out of a gentleman, too.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Ah, that explains why I got better results when trying to hold a down harder. However I would still go into rapid punches some times. Does the a button some times reset whether it is down or not or does it have to do with how steady you hold the a button?

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I'm not sure about that, actually. I know that you get pretty consistent results so long as you hold the A button down firmly and make sure to not let go until Falcon's animation is completely done, or in the case of the IASA input, when Falcon starts to dash or jump or shield or whatever. Sometimes I still have that problem, too, so I'm not exactly sure if there's some weird A button stuff happening if you do it correctly and still go into rapid jab. I know sometimes I go into rapid jab if I miss the input on the IASA frame and end up not holding as long as I should for the regular length gentleman.

D

Deleted member

I return with another question!

Alright I know this has been discussed again and again and again ( until the end of time ), but what actually triggers the gentlemen? Been trying to practice it and it's frustrating not to know why it works some of the time ( using the tap a a a-hold method ) and not others.
theres an old magus420 post that exactly describes it

something to do with frames that you hold total for all 3 parts and that hitting the opponent causes some frames to not get included

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Zhea, the Falcon index thread has all those posts by Magus under "Gentleman" (which is under "General Stuff"), if you'd like to check them out for further detail.

Top Bottom