• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Welp, guess I have to wait til tomorrow (I live in the UK).

Have fun, guys!

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
First impressions of Byleth thus far:

Good Lordy, this lady hits like a truck! All her attacks have good reach, her Specials have crazy reach (Especially Sword of the Creator, that thing’s much better offensively than Grappling Hook!), and despite being only slightly faster than Robin, she feels more mobile to me.

So overall, she’s fun to play.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Have to say. I feel the character is a little too sluggish for their own good, but nair combos and up-b into side-b as a kill confirm might be insane.

Last edited:

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Well I made elite smash after about 5 games. Buuuut four of those were against other Byleth's, the other a young link who I lost to. So probably don't deserve yet haha.
On the plus side, all other dlc characters I've been immediately terrible with, especially in ditto matches. So I think this is promising

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Loving the character, slow moves but if you aim them well (the lance mainly) you will dish out serious damage.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, played a little. Not sure how I feel about the playstyle for competitive, kinda slow. People who like heavies could like them tho, (tho apparently not that heavy, just slow) they have range too.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Hahahah oh my God! Byleth's Classic Mode sure is a thing alright:

Round 1 is against Marth on the Temple stage from Legend of Zelda because of course Marth using the stage he's unlocked on from SSB Melee is the opener.

Roy comes next on Arena Ferox.

The next match is against Path of Radiance Ike on Castle Siege, the very first FE stage in Smash Bros and the stage that debuted alongside Ike. Beat him, and he'll come back as Radiant Dawn Ike.

Next comes Team Fire Emblem Awakening: Robin, Lucina, and Chrom on Arena Ferox. It's Male Robin for those of you wondering.

Next up is both Corrins on the Coliseum stage. Female Corrin has her black outfit since the Corrins represent the different versions: Birthright for Male Corrin, Conquest for Female Corrin.

The penultimate battle is on Garreg Mach Monastery against Byleth... uh... three Byleths! These Byleths exclusively spam a certain set of moves each, one spams the lance moves, another the axe moves, and the third spams the bow moves. They come with the alternate colors to match. (The ones of you who played the game will understand this.)

After that? Bonus Stage!

And then, there's the Master & Crazy Hand battle! It's on Final Destination to boot! What's the catch? It's a team battle with each of the non-echo Fire Emblem characters (Byleth + CPU :ultmarth:, :ultroy:, :ultike:, :ultrobin:, and :ultcorrin:) vs. the Hands set to the Fire Emblem theme! Holy ****! Your teammates will die easily, but until then, you can enjoy the chaos of six characters trying their hardest to win against the hands.

Oh yeah, and every battle is a Stamina battle! Have fun with this!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
First impressions:

- Byleth hits like a ****ing truck and she absolutely murders shields. I mean the neutral special alone deals over 35% when fully charged. We're in Bowser or Ganondorf territory people.
- Down smash, down special, and forward special are my favorite moves. The latter in particular is very satisfying if the sweetspot hits.
- Up special's meteor smash is nasty and if you land it you can get some really cheeky KOs. I imagine this could be a very hard punish for overly aggressive edgeguarders.
- The alt that's based on Edelgard is my favorite, though the Sothis one is no slouch either.

Very fun character, and I can confirm she is apart of my mains list. As someone who isn't even into Fire Emblem I'm pleasantly surprised. Going to be playing her more tomorrow to see if there's any more cool things with this character.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Slower than I thought, but an interesting character. The victory pose with the three weapons is one of my faves in the game.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Byleth plays alright. His run speed is a setback, but the range on his moves are insane. Especially his FSmash, and FAir and Bair.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Gonna be honest, Byleth's Classic Mode route being the exact same as Lucina but backwards is a massive letdown and I have to wonder just how pressed for time Sakurai was that he didn't even bother verifying that he wasn't recycling concepts.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Pretty dissapointed with Byleth myself so far. This character is just not good. I think the biggest problem I found is that Byleth is really easy to edgeguard and most of his/her attacks have bad frame data. At the very least, Up B is fun to pull off so I'm hoping to discover a combo game that leads more to Up B confirms. I don't know, I feel like Byleth should be a character I would enjoy but as of now I am very underwhelmed. Granted this is only day 1 so maybe I just need more time with him/her.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Im enjoying Byleth a lot, definitely sticking with them as a secondary for Ridley. The axe and spear attacks are really satifying ot get, and while the nuetral b feels a bit awkward at first, I am starting to get used to its delay and how to properly line up hits with it. I think the main thing I need to do right now is get better at connecting the Up B, it seems like there is a pretty strict window in which you can actually grab people midair. Or maybe my aim is not that great.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh boy, they are... super slow.

Like I main Ike so I'm kinda used to it, but Ike at least had side B and wide arcing normals and aerials. This is going to take a helluva long time to get used to...

But hey, at least he looks hella cool doing all his weird weapon moves.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I’m enjoying playing as Byleth at lot despite his/her slow speed. I like all of his moves especially down B, which is my absolute favorite. KOing someone with a fully charged neutral B feels good.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Gonna be honest, Byleth's Classic Mode route being the exact same as Lucina but backwards is a massive letdown and I have to wonder just how pressed for time Sakurai was that he didn't even bother verifying that he wasn't recycling concepts.
This isn't the first time a classic mode theme was rehashed. Look at all those space-themed classic modes.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I tried out Byleth on stream at a weekly. Here's the VOD in case anyone wants to check it out!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering how little dev time Ultimate had to be finished before its release date, it shouldn't be surprising that some things had to be skimped over. At least Byleth got out shortly before the deadline month for the first pass.

The latest classic mode variant is funny though, I will say.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Master Hand and Crazy Hand getting their asses whooped by "too many FE characters" with "too many swords" was quite...an interesting experience, I will say.
Overall, his Classic Mode route was pretty tough for me but it was alright.

D

Deleted member

I played Byleth last night on Quick Play (not the best place yes, but I needed some quick matches) and my general impressions are:
-This character hits like an absolute truck. Side smash, down special, and fully charged neutral special all have the potential to KO at early percents and swing the battle in your favor. I recall there being a lot of shield breaks, more than I've had with Joker and K. Rool.
-The character is slow, but they have fantastic range. I absolutely love side special for this reason.
-One thing that annoys me about down special is that if I ever so slightly tilt the control stick in the opposite direction, Byleth faces that direction. It's frustrating when I accidentally do that when I didn't mean to. I actually broke a shield, tried to punish it with down special twice, and failed to capitalize for this reason. It was demoralizing.

I need to play as them more, but I had a lot of fun with Byleth and I feel like they are clicking with me. I just gotta use them more.

Well I made elite smash after about 5 games. Buuuut four of those were against other Byleth's, the other a young link who I lost to. So probably don't deserve yet haha.
On the plus side, all other dlc characters I've been immediately terrible with, especially in ditto matches. So I think this is promising
I wish I made it to Elite with them. I made it to 6 million GSP and that didn't count, then I lost GSP because I lost after wanting more.

As a side note, the second pass is available now.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ase_smash_bros_ultimates_second_fighters_pass

I'd suggest holding back on it unless you're really confident about who it might have, or really want that BOTW Mii outfit.
I bought it. Regardless of who is on it, I want a complete roster.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Move over Marth, there's a new FE shield breaker in town. Aymr is crazy

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I bought it. Regardless of who is on it, I want a complete roster.
So did I. It's called "Everyone is HERE!" for a reason, after all. Besides, all that matters to me is that they look fun to play. I mean, there's the chance we won't get Doom Slayer in Smash, but regardless, whatever characters arrive are almost guaranteed to look fun to play and enticing to try out!

Oddball

Smash Lord
My thoughts...

First off, I had no idea who Byleth is before this.

Byleth is hits hard. It actually feels off how hard Byleth hits. The character doesn't seem like the moves should be doing that much damage but they do. They also feel really slow and the character is easily punished.
The grappling hook recover is probabaly the best version of this type move I've seen.
The Final Smash could be better.
Byleth's classic mode feels kinda generic and it feels harder than it should for some reason.
The Master Hand battle was great.

Visually... the character doesn't stand out too much. I think the best colors are blonde haired/blue coat Male and white hair/red clothes female. Those looks the most visually distinctive when compared to the rest of the cast.

The character doesn't seem to have much personality in their moves or taunts.

Byleth's stage is just "okay".

Not knowing the game, the Spirit Board holds no real appeal to me. I will say that the designs make all the characters feel rather same-y.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
The character doesn't seem to have much personality in their moves or taunts.
That's the problem with Fire Emblem Avatars. They're designed to be as bland as possible for players to self-insert into, yet the fact that they have dialogue, a default design, and some backstory makes them their own characters regardless. As a result, their character and personality is severely hindered, so they're kind of "could work as a regular character but they pale in comparison to everyone else". Avatars are supposedly a staple of the series now, so I hope that Intelligent Systems improves on this.

That, and Byleth is basically stoic and emotionless, so they don't really have any emotion in their voice that the other characters have.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That's the problem with Fire Emblem Avatars. They're designed to be as bland as possible for players to self-insert into, yet the fact that they have dialogue, a default design, and some backstory makes them their own characters regardless. As a result, their character and personality is severely hindered, so they're kind of "could work as a regular character but they pale in comparison to everyone else". Avatars are supposedly a staple of the series now, so I hope that Intelligent Systems improves on this.

That, and Byleth is basically stoic and emotionless, so they don't really have any emotion in their voice that the other characters have.
I actually find that Byleth in Smash has a lot of subtle personality quirks that allows the humor in Three Houses and the fandom to shine through. Byleth is a comically serious character mostly due to their upbringing away from society while also being shoved into a weird teaching position out of nowhere, so things like them yelling the names of the weapons or their hilarious Star KO quote or their crowd chant being "Go Teach!" or their crouching animation being the thinking pose really gets it across nicely.

My favorite trait in the games is how genuinely weird Byleth is, especially fByleth, and how that's actively commented on in the game, which is why it's nice that Sakurai focused on that for their trailer and portrayal in Smash. I still laugh at fByleth just zooming away in the trailer. It's too funny.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I actually find that Byleth in Smash has a lot of subtle personality quirks that allows the humor in Three Houses and the fandom to shine through. Byleth is a comically serious character mostly due to their upbringing away from society while also being shoved into a weird teaching position out of nowhere, so things like them yelling the names of the weapons or their hilarious Star KO quote or their crowd chant being "Go Teach!" or their crouching animation being the thinking pose really gets it across nicely.

My favorite trait in the games is how genuinely weird Byleth is, especially fByleth, and how that's actively commented on in the game, which is why it's nice that Sakurai focused on that for their trailer and portrayal in Smash. I still laugh at fByleth just zooming away in the trailer. It's too funny.
I heard the Star KO quote, but I could never hear it correctly. What exactly do they say?

I also haven't seen the crouching animation either. That's a nice little touch.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I am so happy the full version of Edge of Dawn made it into Smash. I half expected Byleth to come with the shorted version in Three Houses.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Had a few Byleth dittos with a friend on here and she ~~I use Edelgard Byleth :v~~does seem to be quite fun. I've gotten a few nasty shield breaks with Dsmash and managed to pull off a up B to side B kill on Battlefield which feels nice being able to pull off knowing how much the opponent can di out of it..
Still rather difficult to land with the sweet spots on her moves though.. Not used to that much range on them..

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Any reason why I shouldn’t get it? Because I don’t care who will be on it, I’m still getting it. Gotta have ‘em all.
Just react with maturity if the last character ends up being someone that's been barely expected by anyone. The fanbase tends to have unrealistic expectations about that sort of thing.

Good attitude to have though, keep that up.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just react with maturity if the last character ends up being someone that's been barely expected by anyone. The fanbase tends to have unrealistic expectations about that sort of thing.

Good attitude to have though, keep that up.
I’m basically one of the few folks who welcomes anyone regardless of whether they’re well known or not, therefore I don’t speak for the fanbase who raises their expectations too high for a certain someone.

And thank you, good sir. If only the whole community was like that...

Top Bottom