• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Burn With Passion!! -- Incineroar General Discussion (Formerly the Support Thread)

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Quick question to everyone. Is Incineroar you favorite of the litten evolution line? Sometimes I wonder how people would feel if it was Torracat that was getting into the game instead. Honestly, I could even get Litten and I would be ecstatic, I love the entire line.
Yes, in fact Incineroar has become my favorite pokemon of all time. I do love Litten and Torracat though

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Should Incineroar's "theme" (as in what plays in his trailers) be a remix of the E4 theme:

a remix of the Battle Royal theme:

a remix of Welcome to Alola:

or something else entirely?
We know there's a remix of the Trainer Battle theme from S/M, but should that be used for Incineroar....?
Personally, I thought the Totem Pokemon battle theme would be great for its trailer. It's an intimating remix of the wild battle you hear often in the game and is pretty dramatic too.

The worst part for me is that Incineroar is getting a lot of hate and it hasn't even been revealed as a newcomer (yet).
If/When it's revealed, people can cry and whine all they want, because it will only fuel him like a good heel.
I'm really not surprised, the character got so much hate before it was revealed to exist at all. People continuously dumped on it back when all we had were the leaked concept art. It's been an uphill battle being an Incineroar fan even before the start, it's just good that Game Freak likes it enough to give it the love it deserves and help people warm up to it.

Quick question to everyone. Is Incineroar you favorite of the litten evolution line? Sometimes I wonder how people would feel if it was Torracat that was getting into the game instead. Honestly, I could even get Litten and I would be ecstatic, I love the entire line.
It is, it's my favorite Pokemon of all time, but the other two aren't too far behind. The Litten line is the first evolutionary line in Pokemon where I love all stages so much. Usually there's one stage I don't care for so much, but Litten, Toracat and Incineroar are all strong designs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't worry hate just fuels Incineroar so it'll brush it off.

I wouldn't worry people are upset that Incineroar got in over their most wanted character. But it deserves it's spot, regardless.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Don't worry hate just fuels Incineroar so it'll brush it off.

I wouldn't worry people are upset that Incineroar got in over their most wanted character. But it deserves it's spot, regardless.
But the Incineroar hate is really getting repetitive tho.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The Incineroar hate has sort of phased out recently.

It seems that everyone is on calm terms right now, well if you talk about just the characters. Speculation currently a bit of a **** show right now seeing how we’re nearing the release of the game and lack of new info by then.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
The Incineroar hate has sort of phased out recently.

It seems that everyone is on calm terms right now, well if you talk about just the characters. Speculation currently a bit of a **** show right now seeing how we’re nearing the release of the game and lack of new info by then.
It won't take long for the face turn, then:smash:

D

Deleted member

Don't let it bother you, every character had their non supporters even fan favourites.

It deserves in and I'd be happy to have it no doubt. But that's me.

Incineroar may get in and if it does despite the hate it'll deserve it 's spot, that's just me though.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
How did everyone originally react to Incineroar when you first saw him, if you saw the leaked concept art or when he was unveiled officially?

I was originally part of the "Ugh, another biped fire-fighting fire starter?" and was allured by Decidueye's concept art when they were leaked. Then I found out he was Fire-Dark and thought, That's new. Furthermore, as I kept looking and looking at it, the art and his design began to really grow on me. Then his Z-Move was revealed and so was Darkest Lariat, and I thought, I need this starter. I grew to love my wrestling tiger boi and he is now my favorite fire starter, beating out Charizard.

D

Deleted member

It grew on me Decidueye had my attention from the start always will. But once I got the tiger wrestler thing and it's design.

I was like yup I like this thing.

It combines Pro wrestling and Pokemon two of my favourite things how could I not and I started to like it. So yes it grew on me and I was happy about that great Pokemon no doubt love that tiger wrestler.

D

Deleted member

How did everyone originally react to Incineroar when you first saw him, if you saw the leaked concept art or when he was unveiled officially?
"If this is real, I have to pick Litten. I don't care if this thing is Fire/Fighting, it's so awesome and so dumb. I need one."

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I always pick the fire starter, so choosing wasn't an issue. Litten was an instant favorite, Torracat was an instant favorite; No way a heel wrestler pokemon wouldn't be too.

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
I pretty much loved the big guy from the start, even back when the concept art was floating around.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I NEED THIS MAJESTIC SEAL IN MY LIFE NOW

I didn't think too much of Incineroar at the time since I was preoccupied with the best Water starter ever, and at the time I assumed it was Fire/Fighting.

When he was finally revealed proper I was pleasantly surprised to see he was Fire/Dark. Admittedly the design was still Fire/Fighting esque, but I liked it more than our previous ones, and of course there was a very goofy charm to it, so I warmed up to it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's sad how the leaks are making the Smash speculation die out in most places. It sucks how Incineroar might be the most hated character due to be announced last much like Wolf was back in Brawl. On the bright side I'm glad Incineroar can be used in the upcoming Ultra Spooky Cup for Ultra Sun and Moon.
The most "hated" of the final newcomers was ROB (and to a lesser extent Toon Link), not Wolf. Wolf pretty much was only dumped on by Krystal fans for "stealing her spot". Krystal fans believed that she was a shoe-in due to a leak where Krystal's voice actress said she was reprising her role as Krystal in Brawl, and due to a misinterpretation from a statement by Sakurai that he was specifically selecting newcomers that were female (it was from a statement by Sakurai where he explained why he added Zero Suit Samus: the reasons he gave were that he wanted to give the popular Metroid series another playable character and he wanted to add another female character to the roster). Wolf was just as popularly requested as Krystal was during the pre-Brawl days, so the anger about his inclusion was mitigated aside from the Krystal fans.

ROB on the otherhand was a retro character whom had barely any requests, and a character whom many had thought was de-confirmed due to being shown as an enemy in the Subspace Emissary enemy update. Many believed that ROB had "stolen" a slot from a far more worthy character since very few people had asked for him.

With Toon Link, he was popularly requested, however, the Smash Bros. fanbase still disdained the idea of clones, and thus Toon Link got a lot of flak. Some of it was from bitter Midna or Midna & Wolf Link fans though. However, a lot of the sour grapes about Toon Link was the fact that he was a clone especially when a lot of his supporters believed he had a lot of stuff he had unique to himself that would separate him from regular Link (such as the Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer, and Grappling Hook).

Incineroar being deemed the "odd man out" among the newcomers for Ultimate's roster would simply be a throwback to the very first game for the Nintendo 64. All of the characters that were newcomers to that game were icons for their respective franchises or series, with the exception of Jigglypuff.

With Ultimate, Ridley, K. Rool, Inkling, Simon Belmont, and Isabelle are all titans (Inkling and Isabelle being by far the most popular Nintendo characters created during the 2010's). Even the echoes (Daisy, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and the leaked Ken) are all icons for their respective franchises.

Incineroar finds himself not only as the odd man out among the non-echo newcomers, but even amongst the echoes as well. Incineroar is not even the most popular or even the second most popular choice among "core" Smash Bros. fans for a Generation 7 representative. Decidueye and Mimikyu were the names thrown around the most as to who was the most fitting representative for Sun/Moon.

Incineroar is the Jigglypuff for a new generation. It amazes me that nearly 20 years later, people are still salty about Jigglypuff's inclusion. Incineroar might at least have the benefit of bringing a fighting game arche-type (a wrestler or grappler) to Smash Bros. that might make those who are not keen on his inclusion see worth in it.

It will be very interesting to see how Incineroar's inclusion is accepted by Smash Bros. fans. He is definitely no ROB (he definitely has fans), but he is definitely the odd one out of all the newcomers for Ultimate. He is the Jigglypuff for a new generation, and there is a definitely a charm to that seeing as how this game is a celebration for the entire Smash Bros. series as a whole.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I was originally part of the "Ugh, another biped fire-fighting fire starter?" and was allured by Decidueye's concept art when they were leaked. Then I found out he was Fire-Dark and thought, That's new. Furthermore, as I kept looking and looking at it, the art and his design began to really grow on me. Then his Z-Move was revealed and so was Darkest Lariat, and I thought, I need this starter. I grew to love my wrestling tiger boi and he is now my favorite fire starter, beating out Charizard.
I stumbled on it during a random Google image search of fan-made evolutions and originally thought it was someone making a Fire/Fighting joke evolution. I amused with the notion of fans throwing another tantrum over another fire starter, but the more I looked into it, the more I understood what it really was. Then it was love ever since, it's just so perfect for me.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

I wanted it to be real so bad. I immediately noticed the Tiger Mask inspiration, which is awfully nostalgic for me so I loved it the moment I saw it, especially seeing the heel angle. Honestly I had an inkling the concept art was real because all 3 had some clear design inspirations that are more than just "first form, but bigger", but I liked all 3 so much I was worried it might still be fake anyway.

Decidueye won me over from the start because my love for archery and owls is still too strong, it's my favourite starter period, but Incineroar is by far my favourite fire starter, which typically tend to be my least fav. Gen 7 honestly has the strongest set of starters imo.

Last edited:

TokuDoku

Smash Rookie
(?)

I was shocked. I couldn't pick between Rowlet and Litten before I saw the final evos. I never thought Litten's final evo would become a wrestler, let alone a Tiger Mask reference. The original Tiger Mask is one of my all time favorite wrestlers. His match with Dynamite Kid (1983) is my favorite wrestling match of all time. I was quite pleased with what it turned into, and told myself I would probably pick it. I always had a hunch it was going to be a dark type based on how it looked. But when I found out it was because it's Heel, I was wow'd. I find that so cool. It's become one of my all time favorites.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I had a weird like/dislike viewpoint on him. On one hand he was another on two feet fire final evolution and was a bit of a shocker on what he turned out as. On the other side, there was a odd charm and appeal to him. I picked Popplio as my starter but picked up a Litten part way through and trained him as well. Now I think i safely like the whole line more than the other two. Primarina has some appeal, but she has some odd body shapes going on as well.

To be honest, I think Incineroar may be my least favorite of the stages. Litten is cute and makes me think of the black cats that I have had. And Torracat is a pretty awesome looking fire tiger. And not being a awkward and terrible looking middle stage deserves quite the applause. Incineroar has grown on me quite a bit, but I'm not sure I'd place him above those two. He however has somewhat firm footing in my top 50 Pokemon list I made awhile back alongside his lesser stages, so by no means is he drastically below them.

On contrast, the Goomy line is one where I adore the first evolution but find it's evolutions rather lacking. Or Flygon where I like it, but I hate Trapinch and don't really care about the 2nd stage. So the Litten line is one of those few where they all appeal to me like the Espurr, Growlithe, and Gastly lines.

While I would take the other two as well, Incineroar does have his wrestler heel appeal for Smash while the other two would have to rely more so on being feline. I won't lie, a Rockruff and Litten (or Torracat) tag team could be adorable.
Litten Carrying Ball.gif

Torracat What.gif

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Hello! I am pretty new, but mind if I join in this? I love this Pokemon so much and it always bothers me to see people calling Incineroar bland. I can think of moves it could do in Smash. The hate it gets is unneeded at times.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I remember the uproar when the art leaked about "fire/fighting" and because I've been out of Pokemon for so long I didn't understand why people were so upset. To be honest, I still don't, even though I've played a few more modern Pokemon games since then. I've had it explained via type advantages and design philosophy and all that and I still don't think it makes sense. People hated Popplio, too, and those people are also wrong.

Anyway, I saw people complaining and didn't understand why, and then I slowly realized the Tiger Mask influences, the fire championship belt, and then as more info came out I realized he was a wrestler cat and I adored him. When people started photoshopping his face onto pictures of The Rock it was all over and I had my favorite final starter evolution.

I genuinely thought it was bizarre that people thought if we were getting a SuMo rep it was going to be Decidueye because I hadn't even heard of him by name until Smash speculation. I knew Mimikyu, Primarina, and Incineroar, but I didn't realize Decidueye was popular until my Pokemon-loving roommate told me he was in Pokken.

The first time I saw Malicious Moonsault I lost my mind. What a great move.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I remember the uproar when the art leaked about "fire/fighting" and because I've been out of Pokemon for so long I didn't understand why people were so upset. To be honest, I still don't, even though I've played a few more modern Pokemon games since then. I've had it explained via type advantages and design philosophy and all that and I still don't think it makes sense. People hated Popplio, too, and those people are also wrong.

Anyway, I saw people complaining and didn't understand why, and then I slowly realized the Tiger Mask influences, the fire championship belt, and then as more info came out I realized he was a wrestler cat and I adored him. When people started photoshopping his face onto pictures of The Rock it was all over and I had my favorite final starter evolution.

I genuinely thought it was bizarre that people thought if we were getting a SuMo rep it was going to be Decidueye because I hadn't even heard of him by name until Smash speculation. I knew Mimikyu, Primarina, and Incineroar, but I didn't realize Decidueye was popular until my Pokemon-loving roommate told me he was in Pokken.

The first time I saw Malicious Moonsault I lost my mind. What a great move.
It was! I don't really see the hate for Pokemon, Sure, fire/fighting is bland at times. But this was news to me that it have DARK rather than fighting,

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

I was pretty much stuck with Litten because between my two friends, one always picked water starters, and the other liked Rowlet. When this leak came out, I didn't think much of it. I put it aside along with the rest of the Sun & Moon leaks. Then the Trial Captains were revealed. It's one thing to include Ash in your fake leaks, putting Mallow who wasn't even revealed yet when the concept art got leaked was not a lucky guess. Despite Mallow raising the concept art's legitimacy, it never dawned on me that Litten was going to become a wrestler. It took that reveal trailer of the starters third stage evolutions to say it outright. My interests in Litten grew because not only I was getting a wrestlers, but a heel on top of it.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
:ultmario::ultroy::ultbowser::ultfalcon: :4charizard:all got fire! BLAH BLAH IT'S BLAND.

......I hate replies like that. Also it got Dark so,,,,,,

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All of the characters that were newcomers to that game were icons for their respective franchises or series, with the exception of Jigglypuff.
Nah, she was hugely iconic at the time she was included and made sense as a semi-clone addition. She might have been more of an oddball compared to Luigi, but she wasn't as much of a curveball as Falcon and Ness, who were truly the only really obscure "head-scratchers" in 64. They were pretty much the predecessros to characters like the Cice Climbers and Wii Fit Trainer in that regard.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Question for everybody; why did you chose Incineroar as an newcomer? For me, it's how fun he could be with his moves!

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nah, she was hugely iconic at the time she was included and made sense as a semi-clone addition. She might have been more of an oddball compared to Luigi, but she wasn't as much of a curveball as Falcon and Ness, who were truly the only really obscure "head-scratchers" in 64. They were pretty much the predecessros to characters like the Cice Climbers and Wii Fit Trainer in that regard.
She was popular in Japan at the time, but not to the extent that Mewtwo, Charizard, and Meowth were. With Ness and Captain Falcon, there were people did not know who they were, but people realized they were the icons of their respective franchises (EarthBound and F-Zero). Heck, F-Zero just had a Nintendo 64 game at the time. I was around for pre-Melee, and really the only character people were asking to be cut was Jigglypuff. I defended Jigglypuff's return saying she did not steal anyone's slot, and that there was always an opportunity to had in the Pokemon that people felt deserved to be in.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
She was popular in Japan at the time, but not to the extent that Mewtwo, Charizard, and Meowth were. With Ness and Captain Falcon, there were people did not know who they were, but people realized they were the icons of their respective franchises (EarthBound and F-Zero). Heck, F-Zero just had a Nintendo 64 game at the time. I was around for pre-Melee, and really the only character people were asking to be cut was Jigglypuff. I defended Jigglypuff's return saying she did not steal anyone's slot, and that there was always an opportunity to had in the Pokemon that people felt deserved to be in.
A part of me wonders if part of the hate Jigglypuff has (since it's always been around) is due to her not fitting the kind of character people vocally ask for Smash, similar to Isabelle getting some hate when she was revealed.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
A part of me wonders if part of the hate Jigglypuff has (since it's always been around) is due to her not fitting the kind of character people vocally ask for Smash, similar to Isabelle getting some hate when she was revealed.
I always thought because it was no longer appearing in the anime, people deemed Jigglypuff a "waste of a slot." When people used to be all cut-happy & were willing to cut someone from the "Original 12," it's usually Jigglypuff.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I always thought because it was no longer appearing in the anime, people deemed Jigglypuff a "waste of a slot." When people used to be all cut-happy & were willing to cut someone from the "Original 12," it's usually Jigglypuff.
She still appeared in the anime during Melee-era though and she still got hate then.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think what helps best here is Brawl, where she was one of the last characters added alongside Wolf and Toon Link. She almost didn't make it there.

Source: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/17/sakuraibrawlquestions/

SonicMario

Smash Master
Ness and Jigglypuff are the only characters we know at some point had been planned to be cut at some point. But somehow circumstances made it so they returned anyway. Mother 3 got delayed so it was too late for Melee's time where Lucas would of replaced Ness. If it weren't for Brawl's delays, Sonic, Toon Link, Wolf, and Jigglypuff would of not made it.

So in regards to Original 12 while there has surely been attempts to do so. Circumstances still made it so it was unbroken, giving the 12 some strange divine right about them.

If an original 12 character does ever get cut from a base game Smash it would probably be Jigglypuff. But with DLC, there's almost no way that's permanent. I feel like even in a worst case scenario roster reboot for the next game. Jigglypuff would come later anyway just for the sake of that history and I think there would actually be an outcry for Jigglypuff at this point. People can say they wouldn't miss Jigglypuff, but there's been fans who have been fine with her (Or even maining her) being in for 20 years straight. They'd surely have something to say.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Yeah, people dislike cuts overall.
I'll be sadden if my main got cut.
I do like Jigglypuff, heck, I mained it in 4.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think what helps best here is Brawl, where she was one of the last characters added alongside Wolf and Toon Link. She almost didn't make it there.

Source: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/17/sakuraibrawlquestions/
Its interesting to think that with more time, Mewtwo, Roy, and maybe even Dr. Mario would have returned in Brawl. I wonder if the SSE was not made, we would have also seen Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Plusle & Minun, and Dixie Kong retooled as a separate character.

Yeah, people dislike cuts overall.
I'll be sadden if my main got cut.
I do like Jigglypuff, heck, I mained it in 4.
People still like to talk about cuts, but the moment you talk about a particular character they are a fan of, they go into arbitrary reasons why their character of choice should return and how that logic does not apply to the character they are saying should be cut.

Personally, every character returning is one of my favorite things about Ultimate. Its nice to see even the likes of Pichu and Young Link return after nearly 17 years.

DLC can also focus entirely on newcomers this time around as well.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Can Gamefaqs be used as an example of this mindset? It is often used there. Like, almost all the time. If you said anything bad about their wanted characters, they will fight ya to the point of just being childish about it.

Sure, flaws in your most wanted are there, but we can just talk it out.

Last edited:

KingTorra

Smash Cadet
Have you all heard about the Argentine "Backbreaker theory"? It's an incredibly dumb idea someone came up with, but I just wanted to know if everyone else here felt the same way. If you aren't aware of what it is, i'll explain it.

Top Bottom