• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Am not particularly good at sprite work, but I'm fairly proud to have something to go with my current avatar. Especially since I learned how to make a gif. lol

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
After a long while ago, I've been thinking that :4megaman: isn't for me anymore. I don't feel as though I connect well enough with the character to stay loyal to him: the more I play with him the less and less interesting it feels to touch him (and to some extent, it also feels a bit more annoying each time as well) compared to my others, aside from the fact that I didn't really grow up playing his home games and some things about his portrayal in Smash irk me quite a bit. There is a big regional near me this weekend; I do not plan to use MM very much and if I do it will probably be the last time I use him competitively. In favor of improving my skill with the 2 other characters I'm playing: :4greninja::4corrin: and likely picking a new one later on (most likely :4mewtwo:), I'm at the very edge of dropping The Blue Bomber altogether at this point. Not to say that I necessarily stopped enjoying MM, but I think I would rather invest my time in and represent said characters than him, and this could go way faster if I dropped some dead weight for now.

That said, you've all been a wonderful community and the most helpful & enjoyable character board I've came to, with this being one of the few reasons I haven't yet abandoned MM and the longest one I've stayed in. Even if I do end up retiring, you might still see me hang around this social thread from time to time because I love this place. Whether I stay or leave, thank y'all for helping and accepting me as openly as you did.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Another Mega Man user picking up Mewtwo? I wonder just how many of you thought you'd be rid of me?

Out of curiosity, how highly would everyone rate the Legends series? I've been putting off a playthrough of the two for a while now despite owning copies, and thanks to Pokemon (NES) and Fire Emblem Fates I really need a good action game to get me out the RPG rut. Am also on the edge on shelling out some money for a copy of Tron Bonne.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I wasn't too thrilled with Legends. Mostly because I went from classic Mega Man to Mega Man X to Legends. I was saying "Who is this blue guy?" and "Where are the themed dungeons?" and "Where are the robot masters?!" So after playing as weird-Mega Man through a non-themed dungeon and fighting a non-robot master boss, I gave up.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
After a long while ago, I've been thinking that :4megaman: isn't for me anymore. I don't feel as though I connect well enough with the character to stay loyal to him: the more I play with him the less and less interesting it feels to touch him (and to some extent, it also feels a bit more annoying each time as well) compared to my others, aside from the fact that I didn't really grow up playing his home games and some things about his portrayal in Smash irk me quite a bit. There is a big regional near me this weekend; I do not plan to use MM very much and if I do it will probably be the last time I use him competitively. In favor of improving my skill with the 2 other characters I'm playing: :4greninja::4corrin: and likely picking a new one later on (most likely :4mewtwo:), I'm at the very edge of dropping The Blue Bomber altogether at this point. Not to say that I necessarily stopped enjoying MM, but I think I would rather invest my time in and represent said characters than him, and this could go way faster if I dropped some dead weight for now.

That said, you've all been a wonderful community and the most helpful & enjoyable character board I've came to, with this being one of the few reasons I haven't yet abandoned MM and the longest one I've stayed in. Even if I do end up retiring, you might still see me hang around this social thread from time to time because I love this place. Whether I stay or leave, thank y'all for helping and accepting me as openly as you did.
At the very least we didn't lost you to Bayonetta :p
It's sad to see you go, but you already represented the Rock well enough, i really don't think that playing him when you don't enjoy it anymore is a good idea. If Greninja and Corrin feel better for you, you go and work with them.
Good luck man!

Do drop by to help us out and talk every once in a while tho :^)

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103

I felt the same way with :4pit:. I used to have him as my third main, but between him being a bit too plain for my liking and my sheer recklessness with him, I dropped him in favor for a character that used to be my secondary: :4sonic:.
It's okay that you don't like to use :4megaman: that much anymore. There are characters that we use for a while than we grow out of them, like :4pit: in my case. Stuff like that happens all the time.
I hope your career keeps getting better from this point onward. If you ever want to, you can always challenge me. I've been out of practice for a while because high school's finishing for me, and I have to deal with all the senior stuff that's coming my way. So don't be surprised if I get my ass handed to me. :p
Stop by sometime. We'd love to talk with you more in the future. :)

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Anyone here ever check out a Youtube user by the name of RushJet1? He often makes music using Famitracker which is the same thing used to make NES music. He has done covers of Mega Mans 1-4 so far by playing the game and redoing the music (and sometimes adding a few extra sounds). I think I like his MM3 cover the best, but here's his MM1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQDpxzbJqQ

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Ok, I think I might take back what I said about dropping MM. Losing to a Cloud and a Yoshi (someone I usually don't have problems with) in pools but 2-0ing everyone else, I got placed in Intermediate Bracket and was having a pretty run for the first half of the day. Not long after my first match, I was pitted against our #10 PR player who uses :rosalina: and to my surprise, I actually defeated him 2-1! The one loss being a sandbag switch to Corrin I made (probably was a terrible idea since he plays the character too and would know the MU better than I would) instead of from MM. I didn't know nor worry if I could actually pull it off at first, but I couldn't contain my excitement and literally popped off from my chair in a little celebration from that, by far the most satisfying victory I've had in a long while. I beat one more player after that, but my luck ran out when last 2 matches ended with me getting humilating defeats on stream, in the end placing 5th for me.

I was aiming for a little better than what I got but, my PR victory alone makes me reconsider that. But while I did fine with MM for the most part, I am more than disappointed with my performance with :4greninja::4corrin: though (especially after being mutilated on stream with both), so I'm probably still gonna push him into the back seat for a little bit so I can get them up to par at my next event.

Anyone here ever check out a Youtube user by the name of RushJet1? He often makes music using Famitracker which is the same thing used to make NES music. He has done covers of Mega Mans 1-4 so far by playing the game and redoing the music (and sometimes adding a few extra sounds). I think I like his MM3 cover the best, but here's his MM1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQDpxzbJqQ
Checked out his 2-4 covers and downloaded them to my phone immediately. Took it to the event and listened during my games, and I think it kinda helped a bit lol

I favor his MM3 cover also; my favorites being his takes on Magnet Man, Needle Man, and the Wily Boss theme; Magnet Man especially. His original theme isn't my #1, but I think this remix sends my ears to heaven :love:

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Ok, I think I might take back what I said about dropping MM. Losing to a Cloud and a Yoshi (someone I usually don't have problems with) in pools but 2-0ing everyone else, I got placed in Intermediate Bracket and was having a pretty run for the first half of the day. Not long after my first match, I was pitted against our #10 PR player who uses :rosalina: and to my surprise, I actually defeated him 2-1! The one loss being a sandbag switch to Corrin I made (probably was a terrible idea since he plays the character too and would know the MU better than I would) instead of from MM. I didn't know nor worry if I could actually pull it off at first, but I couldn't contain my excitement and literally popped off from my chair in a little celebration from that, by far the most satisfying victory I've had in a long while. I beat one more player after that, but my luck ran out when last 2 matches ended with me getting humilating defeats on stream, in the end placing 5th for me.

I was aiming for a little better than what I got but, my PR victory alone makes me reconsider that. But while I did fine with MM for the most part, I am more than disappointed with my performance with :4greninja::4corrin: though (especially after being mutilated on stream with both), so I'm probably still gonna push him into the back seat for a little bit so I can get them up to par at my next event.
I think we all have those moments where we're disappointed with how we performed with our characters despite how good we can be with them. Besides, it's not like you have nothing to be proud of. You mentioned your victories with that Rosalina player, but I understand that losing badly with characters that you put on the forefront negates that.
Still, good luck on improving with :4greninja: and :4corrin:, and good luck on your tournament scene future.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Ah, after playing for the third time the entire Anniversary Collection of Mega Man, I'm seriously in doubt right now...

Why does so many people like Mega Man 3? It really feels like the weakest of the original six in my mind because of just how many things there are in the game that feel either pointless or redundant.

The weapons are okay for the most part, although a lot of them have some pretty weird functions (Seriously, why can't you aim Shadow Blade downwards?), and Rush Jet is downright broken. There is a gigantic ammount of enemies that pass right below you buster in normal situations that it gets tiresome. Break Man fights are the most vanilla thing in life.

But the biggest insult for me are definitely the Doc Robots, which are some shameless content that brings up a gigantic difficulty spike in the game. They could've been an AMAZING feature if you could get some weapons from them and mix them up like in Wily Wars, but you don't get anything at all from beating them.
The worst part is that they are even harder since their weaknesses are not obvious, and some of the easier RM in 2, become a pain in the ass thanks to the bigger hitbox/sturdyness that the Doc Robots have. Because Quick Man was already the favorite RM of everyone isn't it? Now let's make him do more damage!

For real though, the Doc Robots really kill the game for me. It feels like they bring everything I DON'T like in my Mega Man game right into my face.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ah, after playing for the third time the entire Anniversary Collection of Mega Man, I'm seriously in doubt right now...

Why does so many people like Mega Man 3? It really feels like the weakest of the original six in my mind because of just how many things there are in the game that feel either pointless or redundant.

The weapons are okay for the most part, although a lot of them have some pretty weird functions (Seriously, why can't you aim Shadow Blade downwards?), and Rush Jet is downright broken. There is a gigantic ammount of enemies that pass right below you buster in normal situations that it gets tiresome. Break Man fights are the most vanilla thing in life.

But the biggest insult for me are definitely the Doc Robots, which are some shameless content that brings up a gigantic difficulty spike in the game. They could've been an AMAZING feature if you could get some weapons from them and mix them up like in Wily Wars, but you don't get anything at all from beating them.
The worst part is that they are even harder since their weaknesses are not obvious, and some of the easier RM in 2, become a pain in the *** thanks to the bigger hitbox/sturdyness that the Doc Robots have. Because Quick Man was already the favorite RM of everyone isn't it? Now let's make him do more damage!

For real though, the Doc Robots really kill the game for me. It feels like they bring everything I DON'T like in my Mega Man game right into my face.
Probably because it was the most "fair" Megaman game at that point. The main Robot Masters range from dead simple to challenging, but even the toughest have patterns. The newly added slide also made for more dynamic fights. As for Rush Jet being broken... you can just not use the exploit to extend use if you feel it's cheap. Also it introduced Rush which everybody likes.

Says a lot when the worst part of 3... is the the stuff they lifted from 2.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Probably because it was the most "fair" Megaman game at that point. The main Robot Masters range from dead simple to challenging, but even the toughest have patterns. The newly added slide also made for more dynamic fights. As for Rush Jet being broken... you can just not use the exploit to extend use if you feel it's cheap. Also it introduced Rush which everybody likes.

Says a lot when the worst part of 3... is the the stuff they lifted from 2.
There was also the fact that 3 didn't have any broken weapons that could break the game, destroying the idea of using all the weapons to their fullest potential (hi, Metal Blades).
I do think the Doc Robot stuff could have been executed a little better, but honestly, I don't see the major issue with them. Yeah, the stages are more difficult, but the only part that I can think of that's pretty challenging is that one part in Shadow Man's remix stage where you have those platforms that open and close quickly. You could always use the Rush Jet if you really want to.
Then again, 3 is my favorite Mega Man game. Judging by the way he came off, I think Drak's overreacting a bit. I hope he doesn't take that the wrong way.

Last edited:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
There was also the fact that 3 didn't have any broken weapons that could break the game, destroying the idea of using all the weapons to their fullest potential (hi, Metal Blades).
I do think the Doc Robot stuff could have been executed a little better, but honestly, I don't see the major issue with them. Yeah, the stages are more difficult, but the only part that I can think of that's pretty challenging is that one part in Shadow Man's remix stage where you have those platforms that open and close quickly. You could always use the Rush Jet if you really want to.
Then again, 3 is my favorite Mega Man game. Judging by the way he came off, I think Drak's overreacting a bit. I hope he doesn't take that the wrong way.
Dw, I know that I'm a little bit too harsh with the game, but I can definitely see why some people will find it to be their favorite. It's just that when I see a lot of people talk about it, they place it like, MILES above the rest, and that's when I beg to differ.

I find it to be pretty good, but since the very first time I played it, the Doc Robots and their stages have been something I can't stand.

In another topic that's less aggresive, maybe this is a rather unpopular opinion, but I find that only buster Mega Man runs are a little bit overused, and I would love to see some more playthroughs that focused the most on the using of the weaponry you are given. Because most of the time I see playthroughs of the game, the weapons are either not used at all, or they are only used against the RM that's weak to it, and for me that gets old rather fast.

I love playing as much as I can without the use of the Mega Buster, trying to mix it up with the weapons that you get through the journey, but I can see why some people dislike that since a lot of them are almost useless outsides of some small niches (Hyper Bomb is an example of a weapon I can't use at all).

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Needle Man's spazzy behavior says hi. Shadow Man has a Pattern but still one heckuvan an annoying Boss, Spark Man ain't hard but he does take time to get used to. The other 5 Robot masters are pretty pathetic tho imo.

As for myself, the Doc Robot stages were pretty annoying, but my biggest gripe with Mega Man 3 is the Wily Stages. I haven't played Mega Man 8-10 yet but so far in my experience they're looking to be the easiest in the classic series: the stages are all too short and too forgiving with their overpopulation of E-tanks and other power-ups. The 2nd Wily Level has like only 3-4 segments and has very little in it overall, it just felt like it was "there" more than anything. None of the bosses in there add a whole lot to this when almost all of them are so easy (although, the Hologram Mega Mans are pretty challenging if attempting no damage runs), even Gamma was probably one of the most pathetic Final Bosses I have ever faced in my gaming life (with both of his weakness weapons), even easier than Alien Wily in MM2.

Other than that, MM3 would probably be my favorite classic game besides 2 & 7, although I hear Keji Inafune considered it one of his least favorites because he was forced to release and finish it sooner than he wished to.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Mega Man 1 has the Yellow Devil.
Mega Man 2 has the Wily Castle levels/Game Overs.
Mega Man 3 has Doc Robots.
Mega Man 4 has weird level design.
Mega Man 5 is kind of bland due to OP Charge Shot.
Mega Man 6 is kind of bland due to Rush Gimmicks.

Each game IMO has it's own issues, that make it hard for me to love one more than the other, even 2 which I think is beyond overrated I think has the best RM levels. Mega Man 1 is still my personal favorite of the NES games with 3 in a close second.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Mega Man 1 has the Yellow Devil.
Mega Man 2 has the Wily Castle levels/Game Overs.
Mega Man 3 has Doc Robots.
Mega Man 4 has weird level design.
Mega Man 5 is kind of bland due to OP Charge Shot.
Mega Man 6 is kind of bland due to Rush Gimmicks.

Each game IMO has it's own issues, that make it hard for me to love one more than the other, even 2 which I think is beyond overrated I think has the best RM levels. Mega Man 1 is still my personal favorite of the NES games with 3 in a close second.
I'd say more trap heavy, since nearly every stage in Mega Man 4 has spikes. The only stages that I doesn't have spikes are Cossack Stages 1, 3, and 4. I still love 4, despite it's average soundtrack and trap heavy design. I still think 4 has the best weapon system since I find every weapon in that game to be useful.

Dw, I know that I'm a little bit too harsh with the game, but I can definitely see why some people will find it to be their favorite. It's just that when I see a lot of people talk about it, they place it like, MILES above the rest, and that's when I beg to differ.

I find it to be pretty good, but since the very first time I played it, the Doc Robots and their stages have been something I can't stand.

In another topic that's less aggresive, maybe this is a rather unpopular opinion, but I find that only buster Mega Man runs are a little bit overused, and I would love to see some more playthroughs that focused the most on the using of the weaponry you are given. Because most of the time I see playthroughs of the game, the weapons are either not used at all, or they are only used against the RM that's weak to it, and for me that gets old rather fast.

I love playing as much as I can without the use of the Mega Buster, trying to mix it up with the weapons that you get through the journey, but I can see why some people dislike that since a lot of them are almost useless outsides of some small niches (Hyper Bomb is an example of a weapon I can't use at all).
I have a similar attitude towards MM2. The fact that the Metal Blade breaks the idea of using all the weapons to their fullest as well as Wily Castle 4 having the Buebeam Trap make 2 a game I don't play as often as I do with some of the other MM titles. It's still a good game, but I prefer others.
Dude, I completely agree with you on using the weapons more. I mean, it's still impressive using only the Buster, but at the same time, it gets kinda bland. I often like to show off with my weapons and vary things up to spice up my experience. I even do that with games like MM5 and MM10, which I think have the weakest weapon systems in the series.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I like the Doc Robots. They add a challenge factor that some of the MM2 Robot Masters lacked. Though Quick Man was ridiculous at first, a bit of practice (and some E-Tanks) made the battle less of an ordeal. That aside, they were genuinely tougher than their MM2 forms which is a plus. And it was kind of cool that they revamped the stages they were in, which was a nice touch. Not sure what happened with the Rush Jet though, it made Needle Man's stage a bit easy.

Dude, I completely agree with you on using the weapons more. I mean, it's still impressive using only the Buster, but at the same time, it gets kinda bland. I often like to show off with my weapons and vary things up to spice up my experience. I even do that with games like MM5 and MM10, which I think have the weakest weapon systems in the series.
I would use the weapons more, but what usually stops me is the fact that most games in the series don't allow you to use them in conjunction with the Buster (MM8 was the only one that had this function). Unless they have a significant amount of ammo, that is. Also, I don't really remember a lot of the special weapons from MM10 being particularly underwhelming, well, other than Thunder Wool that is. That weapon was just utter crap.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Got ripped off at a local game store that won't except returns, so I guess I now have a copy of Tron Bonne. -_-

I just need Star Force 1-3, Super Adventure, Challenger from the Future, and Rockboard and I'll have the complete series.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Well I completed that All Robot Master (No Items) challenge in the Legacy Collection. Only got a silver but it was easier than I thought because you're allowed to die in these challenges and still get a gold.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Well I completed that All Robot Master (No Items) challenge in the Legacy Collection. Only got a silver but it was easier than I thought because you're allowed to die in these challenges and still get a gold.
Yeah the challenges in Legacy are rather odd. Like you can get an easy Gold on the Yellow Devil challenge just by using the Select trick.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My usual runs involve me using weapons throughout the stage, but buster only vs RM for a higher challenge. If my lives are at 0 I will use the corresponding weapon, though.

Yeah, every game has its issue, although to me MM10 has none (maybe the story, but I never play MM for story anyway). MM10's only crime is apparently being 8-Bit just like 9. I love 7, 8 and Bass, but they never felt right to me. I blame the new proportions of characters in general, having smaller pellets compared to all characters, etc.

If however they made a new MM game basing Megaman's proportions to match those of the 8-bit games, and they make it FEEL like one, I'll have no problems with a new, non-8-bit game.

For nostalgia, I'd love to have an equipment store. One of the things Megaman 8 did remarkably well, is having different kinds of charge shots. Like what if that came back, but it was fairly expensive to get them?

Also, next game, needs to have Protoman, Bass, and Roll. And, pipe dream warning: 4-Player Endless Mode.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
Above MM4 was stated to have a flaw in its weird level design/trap heaviness, but having played it recently I don't think it's level design or death pit placement are flawed... it's my new favorite in the classic series.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
MM4's level design doesn't feel bad. Maybe that one crusher trap segment in Dust Man's stage is odd.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The only game in the series I'd say has truly bad level design would be III.

4 gets on my nerves a lot, Bright/Ring/Dust/Drill in particular. You cannot tell me that you can beat Bright without knowing ahead of time about that last flying lightbulb enemy before the boss door. Ring has three mini-bosses too many. I don't think I've made it through Drill without beating Skull first due to those falling rocks. Dive has gotten me with those mid-air spikes during the screen transitions.

10 also tends to frustrate the heck out of me, though mostly because of the awful weapon selection and Chill/Commando.

IDK MM fanboys like us are certainly a fickle bunch in regards to our likes/dislikes. lol

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, I don't really have anything against MM10... In fact, even the Thunder Wool has it's uses. I see you moving targets. Come at my thunder !
But the one Move that makes everything wonkier is the Mega Ball. Y'know, the weapon that replaces Rush in MM8. It acts like Rush Coil & can deal some serious damage XD

mattyg

Smash Rookie
Just because you cant do any of that in an actual match vs actual players doesnt mean I cant

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
So you finally created an account. Welcome to Smashboads M mattyg ! :shades:
And I don't think that he meant that you can't do these strings / combos in an actual match, but more that they had a bit of set-up that we don't see (and we might never see it as well :p )
Is there any channel that has any of your matches ? Just asking.

TheGlove

Smash Cadet
Staged was probably the wrong and admittedly inflammatory word to use there. There is certainly a stigma against Combo videos using mostly footage from players of a lower skill grade than the featured player, using footage from friendlies specifically non serious friendlies, or using the one time out of a hundred that they got a super crazy setup to work. If you are getting similar setups against other tournament players at a relatively consistent rate then you sir are an impressive player and I would be interested in seeing full matches of your Megaman.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Uhhh... While you might have been offended, trying to offend people back isn't the best solution... I mean, there might be people older than you out there XD
If these opponents were good, no need to try to convice people. I'll make sure to watch the link you posted !

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This talk reminds me a bit of the competitive impressions thread. lol

Feel free to share any other matches using your MM in our Video Critique thread.

Top Bottom