• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking Tradition and Targets and Big News on Videos!

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I really wish he could have said more about the video recordings. It sounds to me like every match is automatically recorded in its entirety, but only temporarily (like, there's a cache which only contains your most recent match or something). Then, you can make permanent saves in chunks of up to three minutes by determining start and endpoints for recording. If that's really how it works, then there's no reason why you couldn't record entire matches as long as you put them in multiple files (unless there's some stupid distinction that only one three-minute segment is allowed on the console at a time, but there's no reason for that, and you could still get around it with SD cards anyway).

I'm really disappointed with Break the Targets though. The entire fun of the mode for me is seeing all the drastically different layouts for the different characters, each with their own kinds of challenges. Now you'll just be doing the same thing over and over again, but the faster characters will be better at it. I feel like they might as well have taken out the mode entirely for how little they've put into it. Messing around in Break the Targets was a big part of single-player fun for me in Melee, and now it's gone. Wasn't he trying to ADD to the single-player modes?

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Ok guys, there are 3 possibilities for the arrangements/number of stages in BtT.

1) 5 "Different Arenas" and each arena has a certain difficulty setting. 1 = Easy Arena, 5 = Insane Arena.

2) 5 "Different Arenas" and each arena has all 5 difficulty settings. Grassland with easy difficulty = Easy to reach targets/lesser amount of targets. Grassland with insane difficulty = Hard to reach targets/more targets.

3) 5 "Different Arenas" per character blah blah blah (I don't see this happening at all)

Basically i think #2 is most likely to happen. What do you guys think?

Ospov

Smash Rookie
I'm glad that break the targets is coming back, but a little disappointed because when I first read the update I thought it meant 5 stages per char (it was early and I wasn't fully awake) and now I realize that it is just 5 levels all together. There aren't any pictures of Very Hard or Extreme so I hope those 2 stages are really awesome.

The video part is going to be awesome too. Hopefully they'll make it so that you can switch character angles and move around (like on the pause screen). But anyway, today was a pretty fun update.

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone here with a brain can agree that there aren't going to be 5 stages per character. Most of us have understood it to be 5 stages that each represent a different level of difficulty. The only thing it could possibly be is that each stage has 5 difficulty variations making 25 different challenges, but I wouldn't be so sure of that.

As for the video, it sounds awesome, but I doubt that you can just play a match and then "go back" and choose which parts to save. I'm sure it'll just be like the camrera mode in Melee. Just select the option, and when you start playing it starts recording. The 3 minutes thing kinda sucks because a normal 4-stock match lasts around 5 on average. I also have a lot of virtual console games so who knows how long the videos will be without the SD card. I think he might have meant that you can save up to 3 minutes if using an SD card, otherwise you know how business men think. He would have said "you can save up to _ minutes." They would always give you the highest number and then you'd find out later it would only be possible with the SD card. So I think 3 might be the limit no matter what.

As for sending the videos to PC, we can already send Wii messages to e-mail addresses, so why not with the attachment of the video?

fatmactk

Smash Journeyman
As for sending the videos to PC, we can already send Wii messages to e-mail addresses, so why not with the attachment of the video?
It won't do you any good to send a recorded replay to a PC, because your computer won't know what to do with the file. Brawl will probably do just like Starcraft and Halo 3 where instead of capturing actual video and making a movie, it will just write a script. Brawl can read the script and recreate the action so you can watch the replay. No other application is going to be able to "play" the movie.

So No you won't be able to send the replays to a Pc and even if you did it won't do you any good, because only Wii's with Brawl running will be able to play the replays.

The advantage to this is probably file size. The replays will be a smaller size allowing the transfer time from wii to wii to be quicker than if it was an actual movie. You'll also be able to store more replays since they are smaller.

So if you want to show off your skillz on You Tube, you'll still have to use current video capture methods.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Neo, maybe the thing you're using like pops up, and disappears from the bottom...
Then why is it green, just like Send is green?

Also.... it's interesting that it says "Wii friend" instead of something like "Brawl friend." Wii numbers used instead of friend codes?

If it's 5 stages per character - total awesomeness. If it's only 5 stages, that all characters share - not quite as awesome, but more likely (I'm most inclined to agree with 5 stage themes, 5 difficulties each, for 25 total). I can understand if it's a matter of space on the disc, though. I'm sure they'll do a good job with it. Not like I spent lots of time in Target Test, so I don't care THAT much if it's fewer stages. If the items are specific, and not randomized, then I have no issue with that.

Replays/recording is sweet. 3 minutes is a tad on the short side (depending on stock count), but it's probably hardware limitations again. If we can save directly to SD Cards then maybe we can have longer replays (which would be f'ing awesome). I doubt it caches the -entire- match, though. What about 99 stock matches? Has to be a cutoff somewhere.

There's still the matter of sending them to someone else, though, if they're large enough for only a SD card to hold them. Four or five minutes would've been ideal... but if it's the hardware limits... not a lot you can do (other than find a sneaky programming trick to make it take less space - like how some games take almost no space to save and others are huge).

Excellent update. Maybe, as someone said, Wednesday really is the new Friday. XD

very good update today....also does anyone here get nintendo power? the dec issue seems.....different
That's because as of the December Issue (volume 222), it's being published by Future US. It's not done in-house by Nintendo anymore.

jambre

Smash Apprentice
5(stages)x5(difficulties)x35(characters, guess) = 875 records??!

Bou

Smash Rookie
Pretty sweet, replays will be cool. I always thought the target minigame was fun too.

And hi.

Zek

Smash Ace
From the way they phrased it, it really sounds to me like there are only 5 stages total. I hope that's not the case because that would be completely pointless, why even include the mode if it's so incredibly basic? Half the fun of Target was the stages being uniquely designed for each character. 5 stages for each character would be great, but that's an extremely optimistic interpretation.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I posted this in another thread but I guess i'll post it here too.

Ok I noticed one thing look at the color of the targets. And now look at this picture.

You can see that the colors match the colors of the targets. So the one Metaknight is playing on normal, DK is playing on easy, and Samus is playing on hard. And you can see that they each are different backgrounds and the ground and walls are different. My guess that the five maps are just simply the difficulities and the auctual map(the ground and walls) while the targets and ground will be rearranged to fit the players unique abilities.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I like the whole recording thing, tough it sux that its only 3 minutes, but an average match I have with Saber (who is I most play smash with) is about 2:30-3:30 so its all good...

finally a better way to record matches and make combo vids XD

crush_T_asain

Smash Apprentice
wow recording, thats pretty cool i think theyll have the same 5 stage set ups like all the platforms but thell have the targets in different places uh im also hoping that if youve recorded a target test for a charecter youi can play it back again but while playing so like those mario kart timetrial ghosts
oh ya and looks like sakurai is using gc controller again so hes really favouring it its been this and the trophies

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
BTT: Awsomr with 5 new stages for each character and items. Nice

Replays: I'm total going to spam my friends with this and start a Kirby Choir aswell.

I like the whole recording thing, tough it sux that its only 3 minutes, but an average match I have with Saber (who is I most play smash with) is about 2:30-3:30 so its all good...

finally a better way to record matches and make combo vids XD
SO TRUE!!! LOL XD

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
It won't do you any good to send a recorded replay to a PC, because your computer won't know what to do with the file. Brawl will probably do just like Starcraft and Halo 3 where instead of capturing actual video and making a movie, it will just write a script. Brawl can read the script and recreate the action so you can watch the replay. No other application is going to be able to "play" the movie.

So No you won't be able to send the replays to a Pc and even if you did it won't do you any good, because only Wii's with Brawl running will be able to play the replays.

The advantage to this is probably file size. The replays will be a smaller size allowing the transfer time from wii to wii to be quicker than if it was an actual movie. You'll also be able to store more replays since they are smaller.

So if you want to show off your skillz on You Tube, you'll still have to use current video capture methods.
You don't even know how it saves the videos.

I wouldn't be so confident if I were you.

Feel free to consider that it's the way you describe though.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
You don't even know how it saves the videos.

I wouldn't be so confident if I were you.

Feel free to consider that it's the way you describe though.
It probably is saved like a script to save space. Though, it wouldn't be required in this instance. WC3 and Halo 3 need to save as scripts because you can view the replay from a variety of vantage points. Saving a movie would limit you to one point of view. This isn't as much of an issue in Brawl, but if scripting saves file size, it can still end up being done that way.

urbandayz2

Smash Rookie
Hi first time posting...anywho just wanted to point out that...the blurred pink/purple option is on a completly different screen to the'vids' option. Allow me to prove my point; the photos interface is rather simplistic in design! and the vids option has a film roll instead of a standard black line! secondly to assume anything with brawl is...O.o it might let you down and im going to take what they give me and enjoy the game! :)

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice

That's a really good point. The only thing is that if the videos are captured as a fixed view video, then it could potentially be sent to PC's. We don't know that replays will play out in a way that you can move the camera and zoom and things like that. It's probably the way you said though so yeah, that sucks.

Sneaky 2.0

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2724-1598-9725
Kirbykid would be so happy to hear that his suggestion got in.

falco999

Smash Apprentice
i think that it automatically records the last 3 minutes of the match. say for example you are playing and the match gets to 3:40. Everything from 0:40 to 3:40 will be saved then 1 sec later everything from 0:41 to 3:41 will be saved. and of course if something cool does happen you can pause and save those three minutes

Top Bottom