• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking Tradition and Targets and Big News on Videos!

Eagle

Smash Lord
It could be five stages per character.

Like, say you take Links BTT from Melee and label that as 'Easy' then, add a few bumbers and label that as the next difficulty setting, and some other stuff, then the next. Instead of the hopeful 5 entirely different stages.

Raptorbite

Smash Apprentice
Really hoping it isn't a pause-and-start recording option, I mean, if something amazing happens and you weren't recording, or your recording time was up (considering most matches I play end up lasting way longer than 3 minutes) you lose all of your accidental badassery.

So yeah, I'm hoping it records the entire match and it means you can save 3 minute clips or something.

I

i8waffles612

I love this update!!!! Very nice. BTT rocks. And now we can send videos

<3 Sakurai lol

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure anyone has noticed yet...

As you can see, there's that pink blurred icon that we don't know what it does.

WHAT'S THIS!? IT'S GONE!? NINTENDO HAS REMOVED IT APPARENTLY..WITHOUT EVEN TELLING US WHAT IT DID.....

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Neo, maybe the thing you're using like pops up, and disappears from the bottom...

Y'know what smashboards should do? We should add a little video archive. Add a wii address (think like smashnews), and send that the videos!

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
Neo, maybe the thing you're using like pops up, and disappears from the bottom...

Y'know what smashboards should do? We should add a little video archive. Add a wii address (think like smashnews), and send that the videos!
Ah man, that's a great idea! Maybe a video rating system could be used?

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like an awesome idea! But they (the videos) should probably be separated into pros and casuals.

NukeA6

Smash Master
It's nice to see Target Test again and with better background but only five stages? I don't know if I can accept that. Oh well, it's just a bonus.

And to those who think it's 5 stages for each character, open your eyes. Target Test stages back in 64 and Melee had a theme that fitted the character. Link's would be castle-like. Samus and Fox would have it futuristic. Yoshi's stage looks like it was made with legos. DK's looks like a construction site.

Now look at the ones for Brawl. It is obvious that there are only 5 stages.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like an awesome idea! But they (the videos) should probably be separated into pros and casuals.
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Most of my videos would be casual ones of course..unless a pro adds my Brawl friend code and challenges me or something..and I lose horribly :chuckle:

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I'm not sure anyone has noticed yet...

As you can see, there's that pink blurred icon that we don't know what it does.

WHAT'S THIS!? IT'S GONE!? NINTENDO HAS REMOVED IT APPARENTLY..WITHOUT EVEN TELLING US WHAT IT DID.....
I wouldn't worry too much. Look at the border in the second image. It's a film reel. The first one doesn't have that. I think the first screen is for images and the second one is for video. They may look the same, but I'm sure they're two totally different screens.

And the pink buttons is probably for something that is impossible to do with video that you can do with images. Like editing and doodling?

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I really don't think it's 5 stages per character.
That's 125+ stages, it just seems really improbable.

the recording thing is nice, to bad it's only three minutes.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I just hope if Board the Platforms does return, it's unique for each character. That would make it up since I like it better than Target Test.

Eaode

Smash Champion
For a little while I was like "AWWW only 3 minutes??" and then I realized that most matches don't go past 3 minuts unless you're playing Peach dittos >_>

Besides, look at how many videos Sakurai has on the screen there? How does all that fit into < 3 minutes??

Anyway, I'm going to record every stock match, just in case. And if it's not worth recording and putting on the 'net, then I'll delete it. :)

EDIT: I just realized those are his friends, not video files. well w/e 1 file at a time is enough, I'll just have to delete it in between matches. Minor annoyance.

gregthepirate

Smash Apprentice
So just so I understand...at the end of every match you can choose to replay it, and from there you can choose a three-minute segment to record and send to friends?

All my base is belong to brawl.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the screenshot with metaknight its hard to believe items are random as it appears items are strewn about in key locations. I have no problem using them to the best of my abilities and earn try and decrease my time if that is the case.

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
Yay this update is realluy great! Over 9000 records to set with only 5 stages and the possibility to essentially record a match! (because it often lasts less than 3 mins unless you're a camper *****) and if 3 mins isn't enough ow well we'll play with less stocks.

Anyway, i pretty much believe the items on the map are fixed and have a specific use, otherwise it would be such a moron thing to do, putting random items in BTT WTF!

overthere

Smash Cadet
I don't think there will be 5 stages for each, as the stages look pretty generic. I just hope they bring in some form of character-specific stadium, though. BtP and RttF and an improved Trophy Catch should return, but some totally new stadiums would be welcome as well.

As for video recording, I'm not too surprised. 3 minutes seems very reasonable. I wonder if there will be the possibility to go in and edit them later. If not, at least we should be able to transfer them to a PC.

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Ok, it would be cool if it worked like this:

You record for 3 minutes, it auto saves..then you can start recording right after it saves for a second part.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I think a lot of my matches go just over 3 minutes. I think they average out to about 3:30.

Why couldn't Sakurai just squeeze in another minute or two? Not to say I'm not happy about this update, in fact I'm more than stoked on it, I just don't understand why 4 or 5 minutes is too much for the Wii.

RatherDashing42

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I thought of something that would make the recording even cooler. So, you're playing a match, and something really funny happens, like a one time thing, like a glitch, and you say "Aw man, I wish I'd paused it so I could've gotten a screenshot" So you have that match recorded, you go back on the recording and review it, stop it at the glitch, zoom in, and take a screenshot directly from that recording. If you could do that, which I hope you'd be able to, we would have any possible option of finding, saving, and sending all the hilarity that is Smash Brothers in ways never before possible.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Ok, so I thought of something that would make the recording even cooler. So, you're playing a match, and something really funny happens, like a one time thing, like a glitch, and you say "Aw man, I wish I'd paused it so I could've gotten a screenshot" So you have that match recorded, you go back on the recording and review it, stop it at the glitch, zoom in, and take a screenshot directly from that recording. If you could do that, which I hope you'd be able to, we would have any possible option of finding, saving, and sending all the hilarity that is Smash Brothers in ways never before possible.
That's basically what I said one post ago.:ohwell:

EDIT:
Oh, sorry. I actually said that in a different thread. But yes, that would be great. If the reason that you could only hold 3mins is because you're able to pause and take snapshots in the match... then that's fine by me.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i love Break the Targets, but i'm disheartened that they aren't character specific anymore. it's cool we have items, though, and i hope it's like Mic says and it's not random but we get X item in Y spot everytime.

but video replays! i'm going to have fun with this. i love how Smash is never the same. my favorite moment STILL was two years ago when I was playing Fox and my brother DK against a Mewtwo comp and one other comp. We were on Battlefield and i was on the left platform firing my blaster. a party ball was thrown, and out came 4 bob-ombs. they were set in this patern: \ _ _ / with my brother and Mewtwo caught in the middle. My blaster hit one bob-omb, it set a chain reaction, the two fighters flew off, and I taunted.

Now i can record funny s*** like that! i love it!

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
****ing awesome! I'm not terribly excited about the multiple break the targets, though, I'm more psyched about saving matches and sending it to people. 3 minutes doesn't seem to be enough as many people have already said. I hope I don't have to keep turning on video recording either.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
This is one of those updates that has an equal mix of "good" and "bad". The change to the break the targets is annoying as hell. I mention this in my blog, but before when doing speed runs, it was character specific. Two people doing the same stage will obviously have the same character, meaning the skull rests on the player, not the character.

Now, however, I see no practical application to use a slow character. Take Bowser. He's slow, and has no projectile attack. A character like Fox can not only run circles around him, but has a gun, and plenty of moves to maneuver around the stage. This really gimps some characters, in addition to target mode getting a lot more boring due to the stages being so few.

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
If you can upload the videos to your PC, I wonder what the file types and memory would result in?

Youtube is only capable of 100mb, which I'm sure it'll only be like 60mb..with the graphics of the game cramming in.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
wow, this is actually a great update. the target test was really fun back in the early melee days and now their are multiple diffuvulties. thats great. and you can record? thats even better. considering like almost everybody has a digital camera we can just stick our sd cards inside the wii and record??? IN-FVCKING-CREDIBLE!!!!!!!! no tounament ever again will go without vids. this is extremely good news. if everyone in the tournament brings an sd card. we will have enough to record like everymatch of the day. this is a RIDICULOUSLY GOOD UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...peace

-hiroshi

mcs

Smash Cadet
kirby kid predicts the future!

awhile back kirbykid made a article about recording vids in brawl. also said something abut do-overs....well the first parts right!:laugh:

very good update today....also does anyone here get nintendo power? the dec issue seems.....different

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
awhile back kirbykid made a article about recording vids in brawl. also said something abut do-overs....well the first parts right!:laugh:

very good update today....also does anyone here get nintendo power? the dec issue seems.....different
I don't subscribe, but I have a question:
Why would you have the December issue of any magazine already? It's not even November yet.

And by different... do you mean "layout" different or "SSBB Demo Disk Included" different?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
And by different... do you mean "layout" different or "SSBB Demo Disk Included" different?
SSBB demo disc!! man I sure would like to get my hands on that for the moment, until Brawl is released? I guess this would make up for being pushed back

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
This update is AMAZING. I have so many thoughts on it...

1) I agree that BtT now has only 5 stages total that you can do with any character. This just makes the most sense, since the backgrounds and placement are not character-specific in any way, and since the other way we'd have WAY too many stages.

2) ...However, the random placement of items (yes, I believe it will be random, otherwise it's pointless) is a very welcome addition. This gives you the ability to make strategies on the fly, which should add to the replay value and fun of the mode.

3) To take care of the problem that certain (faster) characters have an obvious advantage over others, they can, should, and probably will keep records for each character individually. Problem solved, and now each character has 5 different stages to play through. Replay value FTW.

As for the videos:

4) I don't believe that the entire match will be cached and you will be given the choice of a 3-minute segment to record. If the entire match can be saved in a cache, then the replay wouldn't be limited to 3 minutes in the first place. It's unfortunate, but it seems that the Wii won't be able to save more than 3 minutes. Still, this is far better than nothing, and entire matches can still be saved the old fashioned way.

So all in all, I WANT THIS GAME.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
It could be five stages per character.

Like, say you take Links BTT from Melee and label that as 'Easy' then, add a few bumbers and label that as the next difficulty setting, and some other stuff, then the next. Instead of the hopeful 5 entirely different stages.

From the site:

This time, there are five different maps of varying difficulty—challenges you can take on with your favorite character.
Each of the five maps is distinctive.
I doubt that's the case. Would be nice I guess, but I actually like it better this way (for reasons mentioned in my previous post)

Top Bottom