• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Furret24

Smash Master
What's wrong with another Mother character??? At the very least, Ninten should be an alt. costume for Ness...we need the main 3 protagonists from the series in the game.

Yup. That's my same feeling.
Meh, I just feel a dead series that only had three games (One of which is still unavailable normally here) shouldn't get more than two reps. An alt. costume would be nice, and is something i'd actually like to see more of.

I'm not the biggest fan of Paper Mario making it in, but I feel he could bring some stuff to the table (more than Ninten). It might be a bit of bias though, since I really like the Paper Mario franchise.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

Yeah Paper Mario is one of my 5 most wanted characters. Although I have doubts it would ever happen.

Actually, all of my 5 characters give me doubts to be honest. I try to be optimistic but it sometimes seems tough.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Can you guys believe there's less than a month left? Wow, I'm dying for some more news.
If they say anything... I really hope something is said on October 3rd because the wait has felt extra long with them skipping over a Direct last month. Also, in other news,
I'm surprised the Ice Climbers didn't get a costume in Super Mario Maker. Maybe they'll be a future addition because they've already confirmed more costumes for the future.

T

Trick or Treat

If they say anything... I really hope something is said on October 3rd because the wait has felt extra long with them skipping over a Direct last month. Also, in other news,
I'm surprised the Ice Climbers didn't get a costume in Super Mario Maker. Maybe they'll be a future addition because they've already confirmed more costumes for the future.
Dom't even get me started on SMM costumes...

*looks at Dais--oh wait*

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
100 PAGES! WHOOOOO!!!!!

... is the only thing we're able to celebrate as of yet. It kinda feels risky to have zero announcements or new information for this long. Not even something to tell us that we will eventually get something special. All we have to hold us over is the DLC we have so far, with the bulk of it (in terms of quantity) being lackluster Mii costumes. I only care about the 4 characters and 5 stages including the free Miiverse stage plus Tourney. And Mewtwo is the only DLC that I really like. I'm more of a Ness person since I main him, Ryu rubbed me the wrong way, and did Roy seriously need to return? It feels like there's a lot of toxicity within the hype, but I hope to be relieved once DLC ends and we can move on.

T

Trick or Treat

100 PAGES! WHOOOOO!!!!!

... is the only thing we're able to celebrate as of yet. It kinda feels risky to have zero announcements or new information for this long. Not even something to tell us that we will eventually get something special. All we have to hold us over is the DLC we have so far, with the bulk of it (in terms of quantity) being lackluster Mii costumes. I only care about the 4 characters and 5 stages including the free Miiverse stage plus Tourney. And Mewtwo is the only DLC that I really like. I'm more of a Ness person since I main him, Ryu rubbed me the wrong way, and did Roy seriously need to return? It feels like there's a lot of toxicity within the hype, but I hope to be relieved once DLC ends and we can move on.
Regardless I just want news. This droughg has felt so long without a Direct or many major announcements.

Even if that news isn't "Ice Climbers make a triumphant return!!" I still would like news.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm not the biggest fan of Paper Mario making it in, but I feel he could bring some stuff to the table (more than Ninten). It might be a bit of bias though, since I really like the Paper Mario franchise.
I really like the PM franchise too (well half of it), but I still don't like the idea of having another Mario in the game when we already have 2 (one too many if you ask me). With so many characters out there, I just don't see why we have to keep revisiting the old ones y'know?

Yeah Paper Mario is one of my 5 most wanted characters. Although I have doubts it would ever happen.

Actually, all of my 5 characters give me doubts to be honest. I try to be optimistic but it sometimes seems tough.
As much as I don't want him, I feel he's really, really likely to make it in, like top 5 likelihood. He brings an original moveset, he's really popular, he has a new game coming out, and Paper Mario is the biggest series right now with no playable representation yet. Many say Mario's over-repped, but that's our opinions not Sakurai's who, let's not forget, already gave Mario 7 characters ( he may not even consider Paper Mario a Mario character) do you think one more would hurt? I think after Wolf, Paper Mario may have the best chances.

I'm not sure I can wait that long. I mean, I bet I can, but I definitely don't want to. How exciting would it be if we got a formal Nintendo Direct announcement later today?
100 PAGES! WHOOOOO!!!!!

Pretty much sums all my thoughts up perfectly.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I like the idea of having both climbers under the condition that only one can be controlled at a time. It would allow for them to be significantly easier to pick up and learn how to desync (its hard in brawl and melee...), and I think it'd add a tactical element where you are constantly switching between the two climbers at different points on the stage to make it like a less fluid doubles match. It means that you have the "puppet" element of Rosalina and Olimar while also retaining the ability to control two entities as if they were their own characters a-la Brawl and Melee IC. It could be so that the inactive climber is completely vulnerable to attack while it is out of your control (it'd use the Sandbag's AI with Popo/Nana's skeleton). It'd make them heavily strategic and unique characters :)

As for vets, I'd like to see Young Link and Pichu back tbh. Its hype when M2K trolls with Pichu, and maybe Sakurai could balance the character to actually be usable this time. As for Young Link, I'd like to see the masks incorporated into the character design (replacing one of his specials, modifying his abilities/what the special that got replaced does, modifying stats a-la Monado). However, I'd be totally cool if he was a middle ground between Link and Toon Link, or even a faster+weaker Toon Link'd be cool. Give him the Fairy Boomerang, have the fire arrows, ice arrows and regular arrows as various customs (fire arrows have a high knockback and a fire effect and travel at moderate speed, ice arrows travel slowest but freeze targets on contact (would be a cool tool to use as a trap), regular arrows function like Link's (fast but weaker than other options)). Either way though, Young Link needs the Great Deity Mask as his final smash.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@@BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Meh, I just feel a dead series that only had three games (One of which is still unavailable normally here) shouldn't get more than two reps. An alt. costume would be nice, and is something i'd actually like to see more of.

Uh...it is only fan made, but there is a Mother 4 game on it's way...

I would hope that if they did put Paper Mario in he would be diversified. But I don't know much about his series. I will say that if they bring in Paper Mario for Smash 5 (clone or not), Doc had better get the boot.

T

Trick or Treat

I don't really see how Paper Mario could be a clone. As someone whose favorite games include the first two Paper Mario games, there is so much they could use.

Not only that, but a flat Mario wouldn't really work with Mario's moveset.

Paper Mario's combat focuses more on using the hammer as well as jumping, as well as using partners and various items.

Not to mention they could pull from his transformations in TTYD.

I know this isn't the Paper Mario thread, but for anyone worried that he'd be a clone, it just wouldn't make sense. I mean, you could argue the same for Ganondorf but still.

Furret24

Smash Master
Uh...it is only fan made, but there is a Mother 4 game on it's way...

I would hope that if they did put Paper Mario in he would be diversified. But I don't know much about his series. I will say that if they bring in Paper Mario for Smash 5 (clone or not), Doc had better get the boot.
I know of Mother 4, but that doesn't count.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah Paper Mario definitely would NOT be a clone, he's only similar to Mario in name and look. I'm still not a fan of the idea though, there's a lot of other Marios, Zeldas, Links, Ganondorfs, Kirbys, Warios, Samus', etc... that could bring something new as well, still doesn't mean they should be chosen over the plethora of characters still not in the game who can do the very same.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I know of Mother 4, but that doesn't count.
Lol, suit yourself.

And I'm not saying Paper Mario would be a clone, I'm actually saying just the opposite, that if he does get in, he'd best not be a clone. Still not the biggest fan of him but whatever.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Why we can't have nice things:
http://www.axs.com/britney-spears-fans-throw-her-hat-into-the-ring-for-smash-bros-inclusi-49585

Seriously people? I know it's a joke, but was it really ever funny to begin with? The fact that it's spread this much just pisses me off for some reason.
Seriously, the ****?! OK, what is going on with everyone's integrity lately?! First, Almost EVERY character on the source Gaming poll gets more 1's than any other number, and now this?! Seriously:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Seriously, the ****?! OK, what is going on with everyone's integrity lately?! First, Almost EVERY character on the source Gaming poll gets more 1's than any other number, and now this?! Seriously:
HAHA! Beat you to it!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hey! I decided that this website sucks. Please ban me you ****ers!
I would, but I don't have that kind of power. Summon a mod.

Back on topic: Fellow IC supporters, what other characters are you supporting and why?

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Lol, suit yourself.

And I'm not saying Paper Mario would be a clone, I'm actually saying just the opposite, that if he does get in, he'd best not be a clone. Still not the biggest fan of him but whatever.
There are tons of Mario, Pokemon, and Sonic fangames, much like how Mother 4 is. Do they count as main series games?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wolf, because he's not a clone and I don't think anyone would have a problem.

Inkling, because it could be cool (though I've got my doubts with the Inkling Mii costume).

Ninten as an alt. skin for Ness (again, I have my doubts).

And Paula because EarthBound bias. And they could do something with her pray mechanic, I dunno.

Double post, sorry.

There are tons of Mario, Pokemon, and Sonic fangames, much like how Mother 4 is. Do they count as main series games?
I'm not going to try to start an arguement. But those series are all pretty huge with big fanbases. They don't really need any further support like extra fan-made games. Mother/EarthBound is a much smaller series, with a dedicated fanbase. So, a revitalization of the series, made by fans, that's something that we (as the Mother/EarthBound fanbase) are very excited about. But again, if you feel that it doesn't count as an actual game, you have a right to feel that way. I don't consider Project M as anything more than a mod, because that's what it is to me, a fan made mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furret24

Smash Master
Double post, sorry.

I'm not going to try to start an arguement. But those series are all pretty huge with big fanbases. They don't really need any further support like extra fan-made games. Mother/EarthBound is a much smaller series, with a dedicated fanbase. So, a revitalization of the series, made by fans, that's something that we (as the Mother/EarthBound fanbase) are very excited about. But again, if you feel that it doesn't count as an actual game, you have a right to feel that way. I don't consider Project M as anything more than a mod, because that's what it is to me, a fan made mod.
I'd prefer to not argue about this much longer, so this will be my last post on the subject.

It doesn't matter if the series needs support or not. When it all comes down to it, it's still just a fan-game made by fans of Mother. It's still not a real new Mother game. If you're excited for it, that's all fine and dandy. I have nothing wrong with that. Just please don't use it as if it's a new main series Mother game, which to confirmed to be dead back in 2007. That's like saying Sonic Boom (2009 fan-game) and Project M are new games for their respective series' when they're just fan made things when you get the big picture. That is all.

Back on topic: Fellow IC supporters, what other characters are you supporting and why?
Well, I'm not really a supporter of these two, but I'll answer for the sake of getting back on topic.

Bandana Dee, since I love him and having a new Kirby rep and spear user would be cool.

Rayman, because I'm a fan of him and his games, plus, disjointed hitboxes are the best.

Pichu, since I want a real glass cannon in this game (G&W and Mewtwo don't count). Plus, he's adorable.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If you don't already know, there's a new poll on SourceGaming that I think is the perfect way to actually get an idea of what characters are truly popular, and not just divisive. I decided to group up some of the current results on @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's new poll to see what characters manage to have over 50% of 4 & 5 votes, as I think that's best way to get a gauge on who's actually wanted. Here's what I got:

Wolf- 74.2%
Inkling- 69.2%
Isaac- 68.7%
Ice Climbers- 66.1%
King K.Rool- 65.9%
Snake- 64%
Bomberman- 58.7%
Dixie Kong- 54.8%
Banjo and Kazooie- 54.4%
Chibi Robo- 53.7%

My thoughts:
Kinda shocked not going to lie. If I drew the line at 40% the list wouldn't grow all that much. Off the top of my head Rayman, Ridley, Bandanna Dee, Waluigi, Impa, and Wonder Red are the only ones I can truly remember, but there may be a couple others. Another Mii class was also involved, but I don't see that as a character so there ya go. The only character that shocks me on the 50% and up club is Chibi Robo which I'm pleasantly surprised in seeing.

Anyway IC's are number 4 and Wolf is number 1, and only one character I didn't vote 4 or 5 for is over 50% (SNAAAAAKKKKKE!). Needless to say I'm pretty happy with the current results.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Wolf because Wolf.
Isaac because he's no longer an assist trophy and I really want to start playing Golden Sun and learn more about his character.
Inkling because it would be perfect for IP representation for the Wii U era.
King K. Rool because his most devoted fans have been waiting long enough and I could dig his inclusion.
Snake because of being a unique veteran, though I feel the sheer fact that he's a veteran makes it feel right.
Others include:
Every veteran because I love me my vets.
Lark from Pilotwings because I wanted to invest in a more obscure choice and was recently inspired (thanks @ smashkirby smashkirby ).
Banjo & Kazooie because while I'm not the hugest fan due to my lack of nostalgia, they would be the best fit for representing the Nintendo 64 era as the only representation we have of the fifth console gen so far in Smash history, are first and second gen Pokemon. But alas, Microsoft.
Magolor because in my opinion, I would actually prefer him being in as the fourth Kirby rep over Bandanna Dee (sorry Bandanna Dee fans).
That's about it that I can think of for characters I would want to see. I don't want to have a long-winded list, but during the ballot, I've devoted my DLC support almost exclusively to Ice Climbers, as I'm not about to simply cut any ties with them as I've mained them for nearly a decade, two years before I mained Falco. Yes, ICies were one of my first mains ever alongside Yoshi, while dropping a few others such as Luigi and Pikachu. That's why I refuse to give up.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If you don't already know, there's a new poll on SourceGaming that I think is the perfect way to actually get an idea of what characters are truly popular, and not just divisive. I decided to group up some of the current results on @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's new poll to see what characters manage to have over 50% of 4 & 5 votes, as I think that's best way to get a gauge on who's actually wanted. Here's what I got:

Wolf- 74.1%
Inkling- 69.2%
King K.Rool- 66.6%
Ice Climbers- 65.6%
Snake- 63.4%
Bomberman- 59.2%
Banjo and Kazooie- 54.8%
Dixie Kong- 54.8%
Chibi Robo- 53.7%

My thoughts:
Kinda shocked not going to lie. If I drew the line at 40% the list wouldn't grow all that much. Off the top of my head Rayman, Ridley, Bandanna Dee, Waluigi, Impa, and Wonder Red are the only ones I can truly remember, but there may be a couple others. Another Mii class was also involved, but I don't see that as a character so there ya go. The only character that shocks me on the 50% and up club is Chibi Robo which I'm pleasantly surprised in seeing.

Anyway IC's are number 4 and Wolf is number 1, and only one character I didn't vote 4 or 5 for is over 50% (SNAAAAAKKKKKE!). Needless to say I'm pretty happy with the current results.
Wait a minute...were 4s and 5s good???

I'd prefer to not argue about this much longer, so this will be my last post on the subject.

It doesn't matter if the series needs support or not. When it all comes down to it, it's still just a fan-game made by fans of Mother. It's still not a real new Mother game. If you're excited for it, that's all fine and dandy. I have nothing wrong with that. Just please don't use it as if it's a new main series Mother game, which to confirmed to be dead back in 2007. That's like saying Sonic Boom (2009 fan-game) and Project M are new games for their respective series' when they're just fan made things when you get the big picture. That is all.

Well, I'm not really a supporter of these two, but I'll answer for the sake of getting back on topic.

Bandana Dee, since I love him and having a new Kirby rep and spear user would be cool.

Rayman, because I'm a fan of him and his games, plus, disjointed hitboxes are the best.

Pichu, since I want a real glass cannon in this game (G&W and Mewtwo don't count). Plus, he's adorable.
I'll agree with that, though I'll more than likely consider it a new game for the series anyways (because bias). This will also be my last post on the subject.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wait a minute...were 4s and 5s good???

I'll agree with that, though I'll more than likely consider it a new game for the series anyways (because bias). This will also be my last post on the subject.
Yeah dude, if not people really hate those characters I listed. @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch I believe you can edit your response if you just go back to the poll.

Also I originally forgot Isaac. He's in 3rd. I don't know about everybody else, but I'll take that top 5.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

Well there are a lot of characters I would be happy with seeing, but my main 5 that I support are:

Ice Climbers, of course.

Daisy, because she is awesome and deserves the representation. She would be conpletely different from Peach and her athletic, competitive, and sometimes violent/angry side would be perfect for Smash.

Paper Mario, I love the series so much and he would be a very unique character with a varied moveset and attacks to choose from.

Shantae, to be honest I don't really know much about her, but I really really support her and I think she wouod be an awesome addition.

Professor Layton, this smooth ****** right here would be fantastic. I think Layton is a great series from what I have seen and played and it would be so fun to play as him. He has shown to have combat skills as well.

Other characters I support but not as strongly:

-Wonder Red
-Any Brawl vets
-Inkling
-Tetra
-Maxwell
-Bandana Dee

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well there are a lot of characters I would be happy with seeing, but my main 5 that I support are:

Ice Climbers, of course.

Daisy, because she is awesome and deserves the representation. She would be conpletely different from Peach and her athletic, competitive, and sometimes violent/angry side would be perfect for Smash.

Paper Mario, I love the series so much and he would be a very unique character with a varied moveset and attacks to choose from.

Shantae, to be honest I don't really know much about her, but I really really support her and I think she wouod be an awesome addition.

Professor Layton, this smooth ****** right here would be fantastic. I think Layton is a great series from what I have seen and played and it would be so fun to play as him. He has shown to have combat skills as well.

Other characters I support but not as strongly:

-Wonder Red
-Any Brawl vets
-Inkling
-Tetra
-Maxwell
-Bandana Dee
I'm really surprised with the Daisy results thus far. Only about 18% positive votes so far.

Shantae and Paper Mario are two characters right on the outside too, so I think they got a chance.

T

Trick or Treat

I'm one of the few people not even slightly interested in K. Rool or Dixie. I mean if they get in, great, cool. But I don' really care about them.

I'm really surprised with the Daisy results thus far. Only about 18% positive votes so far.

Shantae and Paper Mario are two characters right on the outside too, so I think they got a chance.
The Daisy results make me want to cry :c

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Well a butt ton of characters but I'll go over the main ones.
King K. Rool - I like the character and I think he has tons of moveset potential.
Isaac - I like the character and no one uses Earth magic in Smash yet.
Ridley - He's ****ing Ridley.
Samurai Goroh - Just grew to like Goroh during 2011-12 speculation.
Star Man - Think he'd be really unique.
Goku (Yuyuki) - I like the character and think he'd be an awesome character in Smash.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm one of the few people not even slightly interested in K. Rool or Dixie. I mean if they get in, great, cool. But I don' really care about them.

The Daisy results make me want to cry :c
Still early yet, things can change. I'm personally pretty upset that Ridley has about 33% on "1" votes myself. I wonder if that whole "He's too big" thing wasn't a thing, if he'd be hated as much. Also sort of confused at the Starfy hate/disconcern, it's pretty bad.

@ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA WHERE'S STARFY!? Is that whole thread a lie!?

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

Still early yet, things can change. I'm personally pretty upset that Ridley has about 33% on "1" votes myself. I wonder if that whole "He's too big" thing wasn't a thing, if he'd be hated as much. Also sort of confused at the Starfy hate/disconcern, it's pretty bad.

I was a huge Ridley supporter. But I kind of lost hope and gave up due to the stage boss thing

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

I didn't put everyone on the list bro. Starfy is right after them (I still support him a lot though).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I was a huge Ridley supporter. But I kind of lost hope and gave up due to the stage boss thing
Yeah me too, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the poll. I mean this is about characters you want, not how there chances are.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Wolf because Wolf.
Isaac because he's no longer an assist trophy and I really want to start playing Golden Sun and learn more about his character.
Inkling because it would be perfect for IP representation for the Wii U era.
King K. Rool because his most devoted fans have been waiting long enough and I could dig his inclusion.
Snake because of being a unique veteran, though I feel the sheer fact that he's a veteran makes it feel right.
Others include:
Every veteran because I love me my vets.
Lark from Pilotwings because I wanted to invest in a more obscure choice and was recently inspired (thanks @ smashkirby smashkirby ).
Banjo & Kazooie because while I'm not the hugest fan due to my lack of nostalgia, they would be the best fit for representing the Nintendo 64 era as the only representation we have of the fifth console gen so far in Smash history, are first and second gen Pokemon. But alas, Microsoft.
Magolor because in my opinion, I would actually prefer him being in as the fourth Kirby rep over Bandanna Dee (sorry Bandanna Dee fans).
That's about it that I can think of for characters I would want to see. I don't want to have a long-winded list, but during the ballot, I've devoted my DLC support almost exclusively to Ice Climbers, as I'm not about to simply cut any ties with them as I've mained them for nearly a decade, two years before I mained Falco. Yes, ICies were one of my first mains ever alongside Yoshi, while dropping a few others such as Luigi and Pikachu. That's why I refuse to give up.
Why, thanks! I'm glad I could inspire you to support Lark!

Top Bottom