• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Troykv

Smash Master
I would, but I don't have that kind of power. Summon a mod.

Back on topic: Fellow IC supporters, what other characters are you supporting and why?
Well, I remember give almost any character that I would like to see in Smash a "4", that include ICs (BUT only the duo), Bandana Dee, King K. Rool, and others, the only characters that I give a "5" was Micaiah and Adeleine

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well, I remember give almost any character that I would like to see in Smash a "4", that include ICs (BUT only the duo), Bandana Dee, King K. Rool, and others, the only characters that I give a "5" was Micaiah and Adeleine
Thank you for your contribution.:grin:

I gave Micaiah a 3 fwiw. She was one of my favorites for a while, but I'm sorry to say I've moved on to Camilla (who wasn't even in the poll ugh). Still hope to see her make a comeback.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling they are going to be dlc not from the ballot but from Sakurai being generous. Plus they're so far in development. Most likely wii u exclusive.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I have a feeling they are going to be dlc not from the ballot but from Sakurai being generous. Plus they're so far in development. Most likely wii u exclusive.
We can only hope.

ralph458

Smash Cadet
NNID
larosawiiu
I think he'll (sadly) give up on them, as the only conceivable option would upset a good chunk of the people who bought Smash and go against his "vision" (which is probably why we still don't have Ridley).

But don't give up until atleast October 3rd.
Oh don't worry, there was news saying the rest of the DLC characters will all be fan requested nothing else (e.g. no character to promote a new game), implying that there is more DLC coming after the ballot.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Back on topic: Fellow IC supporters, what other characters are you supporting and why?
Ice Climbers, they're my babies.
Knuckles, this is more of a wish than a want. I know they won't allow anymore Sonic, in my opinion let alone 3rd parties, characters in Sm4sh (except for Snake maybe).
Wolf, never needed to be cut.
K Rool, just kinda hopped on the bandwagon.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
and I PRAY they don't add Shovel Knight. I don't hate the character/game but in my opinion he doesn't deserve it yet. MIi Swordsman or Assist Trophy at best.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
and I PRAY they don't add Shovel Knight. I don't hate the character/game but in my opinion he doesn't deserve it yet. MIi Swordsman or Assist Trophy at best.
I don't mind Shovel Knight, and would like to see him, but I understand the sentiment. A lot of characters "deserve" it more than he does, and I'd like to see those characters get addressed first, but I'm definitely not going to be upset if Shovel Knight does make it in.

Furret24

Smash Master
Oh don't worry, there was news saying the rest of the DLC characters will all be fan requested nothing else (e.g. no character to promote a new game), implying that there is more DLC coming after the ballot.
I meant more of how Sakurai hates Ridley and won't add him, even if he's the most requested character in the ballot.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I meant more of how Sakurai hates Ridley and won't add him, even if he's the most requested character in the ballot.
As I'm learning with the new poll. Ridley is hated nearly as much as he is loved. It's a shame, and I don't know if Sakurai's opinion on him has rubbed off on a good percentage of fans, but it is how it is. I think, at least for this round of DLC, it makes sense not to add him, despite how much I'd like him to.

Furret24

Smash Master
As I'm learning with the new poll. Ridley is hated nearly as much as he is loved. It's a shame, and I don't know if Sakurai's opinion on him has rubbed off on a good percentage of fans, but it is how it is. I think, at least for this round of DLC, it makes sense not to add him, despite how much I'd like him to.
Personally, I prefer the air i'm neutral on him.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Personally, I prefer the air i'm neutral on him.
I never thought people could truly be neutral on Ridley. I always thought he's one of those characters you just gotta feel some kinda way for. I do agree with your original point though, some characters (like Ridley) won't make it in no matter how many people support them.

T

Trick or Treat

I never thought people could truly be neutral on Ridley. I always thought he's one of those characters you just gotta feel some kinda way for. I do agree with your original point though, some characters (like Ridley) won't make it in no matter how many people support them.
Exactly.

People seem to think that it is a literal ballot, where the top voted characters will make it in automatically. But I never once saw it that way. I always saw it more of a tally than a ballot.

A way to gague interest and popularity. Of course I believe that he will choose some of the highest voted characters, but simply being the number one spot won't gaurantee a character as DLC if Sakurai doesn't feel that the character would work.

He is still going to make the decisions based on fanservice, like he mentioned before. But I feel it is naive to think it is as simple as "highest votes = automatic DLC"

If he doesn't feel that King K Rool would work well, for whatever reason, then him being at the top of the list means nothing.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Because he deconfirmed Ridley because he wanted to stay true to his character, and he believed shrinking him wouldn't properly represent the threatening menace he is. With Chrom, he was like, "Meh, he's too ordinary. **** this *****, I'm adding Robin instead." And then he went on to torment Chrom in numerous ways such as making him defeated on the ground in the trailer and having the KI characters talk **** about him.

Also, I finished voting in the Source Gaming polls. I obviously voted 5s for all veterans including solo IC because I'm willing to compromise if need be.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ice Climbers, to me, have always been one of the truly impossible characters, along with Ridley based on Sakurai's statements. However, SoPo is still a possibility and one that I would most certainly want to see come into fruition. That being said, for some reason, I have this lingering thought in my mind that we are going to get Ice Climber Mii costumes.

I am not sure how I would feel about that. SoPo on his own would not be entirely unique or true to what the Ice Climbers represented... but is he still better than a Mii Costume? I have no idea.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I support Snake (obviously) because he's got a great, unique, and fun moveset, he represents a genre, he managed to gel surprisingly well in the Smash world (the codecs), and MGS is a great series that needs to have more appearances on Nintendo consoles. He also serves as fanservice, in that non-bishie way. Captain Falcon is the only other male in that style, and we can't even see his face. After getting 2 new sexy ZSS outfits, we could do with some male fanservice. :woman:
Other than my top two... in decreasing order of want:
K. Rool - I like reptiles. He seems neat. Plus his fans deserve it.
Ridley - I like reptiles that fly. Not you, Charizard. The size/proportions of the Brawl mod seemed acceptable.
Inkling - new IPs, cool mechanic, female rep.
Ivysaur - Smash needs quadrupeds.
Wolf - his fans deserve it.

I vaguely support Isaac, Rayman, and Bomberman, but not ahead of anyone on this list. I'm okay with Paper Mario, as a huge fan of the series.

Mother doesn't need more playable representation. I say this as a huge fan who played through mother 3 in Japanese and English, as well as both translations of EB0. It's a small, dead series with cult popularity. I am totally happy with new stages, assists, trophies. A different director would have axed Ness a long time ago.

(Being that I view mother as a work by Itoi, I have little interest in a game produced without Itoi's writing. Mother 4 looks very nice, but I don't want to play it.)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Uh...is Charizard even a reptile? We can't really label Pokemon mammals, birds, fish, reptiles etc., can we?

Anyways...

At the very least Mother/EarthBound needs more trophies and assist trophies. Like, why the flip do we not have trophies of the main characters from every game??? Other than that, I'm a supporter for some other full-blown characters from the series, but I think the most we'll get is Ninten as an alt. skin for Ness. Oh well. :(

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
A different director would have axed Ness a long time ago.
Where does the notion come from that a new director would be someone who has no respect for nintendo's history and obscure games. Yes, it is a possibility, but I don't think Nintendo will let someone like that work on smash bros.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
When thinking about Earthbound, all I can think is, "I will get a physical copy one day. I will get a physical copy one day. I will get a physical copy one day..." *goes to Eshop*

Edit: So I just discovered that the boxing ring character aliases have regional differences. I wonder what ICies would have for each particular region?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I suppose it doesn't matter much. I bought both EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings from the eShop. I don't have enough of anything to try for a physical copy for the SNES or something.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Tank woo (A chibi(?) version of thank you, in case you couldn't tell)
I mean what you said is true. I never heard of shovel knight until people started asking for him to be in for DLC. From what little info I read on these boards somebody said that he only released here. Correct me if I'm wrong. I do feel the same way with the inklings. While I do agree that their moveset can be super amazing what with neutral b being the gun to spray their ink and then side b allowing them to submerge in it and duck under all attacks except those that hit the ground(Mege Man Dsmash/ DK Dsmash &Down b) you get it. To make it balanced they would take extra damage but little knockback when hit like that. And their mechanic could be the same as in splatoon I feel would be interesting. They saw a huge release but they are so new that if there is only room for a few more they should not make the cut and instead be saved for next game besides we have the costumes.

Onto more important matters! IC have been in since melee. If they couldn't make it onto the 3ds then that's a shame but real talk most people bought that to satiate themselves until wiiu. I expected 3ds to be a mini version since it can only do so much. I was really upset when I got the wiiu and found out that not only did smash run not transfer over which is better than smash tour, but neither did the stages. My fault for not paying attention to exclusives. Now the 3ds crowd can just say the same thing but WIIU can handle more. It is supposed to be bigger and better but that is not the case. Simply put Sakurai screwed up.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ugh! I saw what it said before he said it! I forgot what it said daggum it!!!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think I last saw that person not too long ago. I think that person could come back on soon?
Probably. Sightings of Kk are rare these days, but they do happen. Don't worry though, we know you're a supporter, and that's all that matters:grin:. I wish we had a cool initiation like the Krool peeps do, but alas we don't. Either way glad to have you on our side!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Probably. Sightings of Kk are rare these days, but they do happen. Don't worry though, we know you're a supporter, and that's all that matters:grin:. I wish we had a cool initiation like the Krool peeps do, but alas we don't. Either way glad to have you on our side!
It's good to be on board! I wonder where this KimKardashian person is, anyhow?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I'm here! Unfortunately, I'm also on mobile, so I can't really edit much. I'll see if I can get around to updating the list tomorrow. (I have no problem with other people handling the list, though)

C3CC

Smash Lord
I'm so mad. I just had this amazing dream...

There was this special Nintendo Direct called "Final Smash DLC Special". Iwata appears (:cry:) and says that more alternate customes are coming, two DLC stages: Butter Building from Kirby and Fourside from Melee are also coming. He said something very interesting after: all characters were getting secondary movesets. Not custom moves, but brand new movesets. As an example he used Kirby, who got a new moveset based on Needle Kirby, and Rosalina, who got a brand new moveset for her own without using Luma at all. After those two were shown, Iwata said: "And to further showcase what this new feature can do, please take a look at this..."

*Smash logo in fire slashes in black background"

There's a really strong blizzard, the camera zooms and there's a mountain full of snow. Then, a pickaxe hits the ground and it zooms out to see the Ice Climbers, to the tagline "Ice Climbers Hike In!". We see that they had a slight redesign: their parka is a little bit looser in the head and not as tight as before, Nana is wearing pigtails and Popo has longer hair.

Then, we can see they're being pulled by a rope (tied to who knows where) and that they're struggling because the rope got stuck and can't keep climbing. Then, we see a hand in a white glove appear, when the Ice Climbers look up, it appears to be Mario offering them his help. Popo smiles and gives him his hand, but Nana looks even further, surprised. Then, the camera heads quickly to the top of the mountain, where all the other 52 characters are pulling the rope with their best efforts. After they help the Ice Climbers and help them reach the top, they smile at everyone and some gameplay footage begins. They have the same moveset as Melee and Brawl, but now they can also be chosen individually, with a completely new moveset especially designed for this feature. This is the mandatory option in the 3DS version; they can't fight as a duo in that version. If you chose this option, the announcer would say "Popo" or "Nana" given the case, instead of "Ice Climbers", and they shared their spot on the character selection screen. You would choose them like you would choose male of female Robin.

Then the trailer ends and Iwata says that they'll cost 6$ like Ryu because they include the Summit stage from Brawl with them.

Something funny was that in the trailer, each character had a specific way of pulling the rope when helping Popo and Nana climb to the top. Mewtwo wouldn't even touch the rope: one hand was near the rope emanating a purple aure while his other hand was in his forehead, with eyes closed. Kirby and Jigglypuff were just hanging from the rope and couldn't help pull it because they're too little. Those are the only ones I remember.

It was so cool :'( Then I got a phone call and I woke up -__- But it was nice while it lasted! :)

*Proceeds to vote for the Ice Climbers in the Ballot for the millionth time*

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm so mad. I just had this amazing dream...

There was this special Nintendo Direct called "Final Smash DLC Special". Iwata appears (:cry:) and says that more alternate customes are coming, two DLC stages: Butter Building from Kirby and Fourside from Melee are also coming. He said something very interesting after: all characters were getting secondary movesets. Not custom moves, but brand new movesets. As an example he used Kirby, who got a new moveset based on Needle Kirby, and Rosalina, who got a brand new moveset for her own without using Luma at all. After those two were shown, Iwata said: "And to further showcase what this new feature can do, please take a look at this..."

*Smash logo in fire slashes in black background"

There's a really strong blizzard, the camera zooms and there's a mountain full of snow. Then, a pickaxe hits the ground and it zooms out to see the Ice Climbers, to the tagline "Ice Climbers Hike In!". We see that they had a slight redesign: their parka is a little bit looser in the head and not as tight as before, Nana is wearing pigtails and Popo has longer hair.

Then, we can see they're being pulled by a rope (tied to who knows where) and that they're struggling because the rope got stuck and can't keep climbing. Then, we see a hand in a white glove appear, when the Ice Climbers look up, it appears to be Mario offering them his help. Popo smiles and gives him his hand, but Nana looks even further, surprised. Then, the camera heads quickly to the top of the mountain, where all the other 52 characters are pulling the rope with their best efforts. After they help the Ice Climbers and help them reach the top, they smile at everyone and some gameplay footage begins. They have the same moveset as Melee and Brawl, but now they can also be chosen individually, with a completely new moveset especially designed for this feature. This is the mandatory option in the 3DS version; they can't fight as a duo in that version. If you chose this option, the announcer would say "Popo" or "Nana" given the case, instead of "Ice Climbers", and they shared their spot on the character selection screen. You would choose them like you would choose male of female Robin.

Then the trailer ends and Iwata says that they'll cost 6$ like Ryu because they include the Summit stage from Brawl with them.

Something funny was that in the trailer, each character had a specific way of pulling the rope when helping Popo and Nana climb to the top. Mewtwo wouldn't even touch the rope: one hand was near the rope emanating a purple aure while his other hand was in his forehead, with eyes closed. Kirby and Jigglypuff were just hanging from the rope and couldn't help pull it because they're too little. Those are the only ones I remember.

It was so cool :'( Then I got a phone call and I woke up -__- But it was nice while it lasted! :)

*Proceeds to vote for the Ice Climbers in the Ballot for the millionth time*
Honestly, that'd be quite the spectacle. I'd love that.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I want alternate movesets outside of customs... It'd make IC possible for both versions without leaving us stuck with only SoPo (the option to chose both SoPo and dual climbers a-la PM would be cool either way), and it'd make characters even more customisable in tournament (considering that customs are not a thing in tourneys anymore due to them breaking the game, this'd be a welcome addition). Quick question though: would these other options be chosen through a pop-up, or would they be chosen the same way you choose ZSS in brawl (hold down L\R / Z / - , depending on your controller of choice)? I'm just interested to see what everyone thinks more than anything.

Top Bottom