• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
In that same little sequence, there's a mini Donkey Kong, with Samus as the biggest of the 4. Don't think it's Young Link. Plus I think Young Link would be taller than THAT...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's definitely just Link. I can see the colors of the Hylian Shield.
In that same little sequence, there's a mini Donkey Kong, with Samus as the biggest of the 4. Don't think it's Young Link. Plus I think Young Link would be taller than THAT...
Well I thought I'd try. Relieved either way, as I said I really really REALLY don't like Young Link.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I didn't hate it when I first saw it. I thought it was poorly written, and the songs were excessive, but the cinematography was god-like, so it had that going for it. Next thing I know, everyone's saying it's better than Tangled (it's ****ing not), and the leader of the new Disney "renaissance". I've just become worn out on it, at first it was just meh, then, because no one would shut up about it, I became infuriated at even the thought. I'm not even going to get into the misplaced symbolism people keep finding in it, the movie just bugs me.

I don't want Goku either, but I actually kinda like DB and DBZ. That being said, I'm not like a hardcore fan of it, and don't see why there's such an obsession with getting them in the game. Their playstyle definitely doesn't fit in the series, and their designs are terrible imo, so I personally don't have any reason to want them.
This was funny cause my friend says the same thing and I have to agree, but seriously the best movie is Finding Nemo. :)
Dragonball is actually very good and is miles above DBZ.

Back to sort of on topic. @MaskO' I really like how they play and the whole ice theme gets me every time #wantssuperpowers
It is amazing if you can desync them properly and those combos are what got me. If they do return I hope that gets kept in, but change their recovery so Nana doesn't just sacrifice herself.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough.

Ice Climbers... What about them do you all love?
When I was a little kid, I found out about Melee not through news, but simply by going into a Gamestop and noticing a new Smash game. This actually hyped me up way more than, say, the Smash 4 reveal did (although not as much as Brawl, Brawl hype was special and can never be repeated) and when I got home to play it, I was crazy excited to see who all the new characters were. As one of the default characters, I obviously checked out the Ice Climbers. I thought their "two players in one!" gimmick was cool, and they were also absolutely adorable. I also loved watching their Up+B, the way they threw each other up. I guess they ended up fitting me.

64 and Melee were the only Smash games I played with 0 hype beforehand, or knowledge of their existence. Melee was an insane experience because all the characters seemed so fresh and new to me. Ganondorf was as much a stranger to my eye as Marth. 64 taught me about some of the base franchises, but Melee expanded on it. Melee was also the time IRL when most people (casually) played Smash, so it was always a party. Melee has a lot of special meaning for me and I do look back on it nostalgically, but not for the same reasons most people do. It was sort of a magical period, where I didn't know the whole roster before the game came out. I'll never be able to recreate that experience now. Even if I stay away from any and all Smash news forever, when I play the game, I'll probably recognize all the characters, if only from trolling the support threads here.

I have a lot of nostalgic feelings and emotions in general connected to Smash. The people I played each game with. The stupid stuff we came up with. As someone who does not play competitively, it really ticks me off when I hear some smug internet tough guy saying "well, now that chain grabs are gone, IC shouldn't even return since they'll be trash tier, at best." I... don't... care. I normally have no ill will against competitive players (I'm on Smashboards, for cripes sake!), but this struck a nerve. Smash is competitive, but it's also a fun game to play with friends. It's why even Pichu was a hit back when I played Melee. And it's why I love characters that play uniquely - when you're on such a low level, obvious differences like that can make a fight more exciting. Me and my friends are not good enough to play at a high level to feel the difference between Fox and Falco. Even if they're "trash tier," we want our Ice Climbers. We love them anyway. Because we're trash tier, too.

@ FunAtParties FunAtParties Let It Go was hyped up beyond all belief for me, so when I finally hear it and it turns out to have the same chord progression as a billion 2010 hit songs, I was incredibly disappointed. What happened to the harmonic complexity (for a kid's movie) we found from Menken? Instead we have a chorus you could paste on top of "Firework." That was a let down. People saying this was a great film musically let me down - the songs were pretty average for the most part. Let It Go probably struck a chord (ha) lyrically, not musically, and I understand how it can be a powerful sentiment. But it's still not one of Disney's best songs.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian yeah I'm pretty sure the only reason "Let it go" has any following at all is because of the lyrics and Idina Menzel's amazing singing voice. Musically, I think it's actually straight up ripped off from a Tangled song, if I recall correctly. I have no ill will towards that song though, I mean sure it's overplayed, but it's not terrible or anything; not like all the other songs which are very meh or just plain annoying. That "Love is an Open Door" song is so bad on so many levels I developed a tick in the movie theatre immediately upon listening to it. So bad.

@ Clock Tower Prison Clock Tower Prison
Finding Nemo is an amazing movie. I think that, Wall-E, Up, and possibly Inside Out(I need to see it some more) are some of the greatest movies ever. I flip flop between which one is "better", Finding Nemo is more personal to me, Wall-E is pretty deep, and Up is amazingly written (and the first movie to make me cry), so I can't decide.

Back to the IC's, what does everyone think their relationship is? Brother and sister? Friends? Lovers?;)
Personally I think they're friends, at least going by Sakurai's original comments on them.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
@ FunAtParties FunAtParties Don't!
Don't even go there with Up. 9 Minutes into the movie and I'm crying like wtf incredibly sad. There are lots of other sad parts in movies but that one was just....I can't.

Wall-E was not that deep to me. I actually found it kind of depressing and scary to think that could possibly be a future. The movie was very well done though and it was so sweet when he was protecting EVE. I really liked it as a whole.

Still need to see Inside Out but it looks amazing.

Yes let's get back to IC. I think they are twins, but it would be cool if they are actually friends/lovers. Never really read up on them much even though I played their game a bit and really enjoy playing as them.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
@ FunAtParties FunAtParties Don't!
Don't even go there with Up. 9 Minutes into the movie and I'm crying like wtf incredibly sad. There are lots of other sad parts in movies but that one was just....I can't.

Wall-E was not that deep to me. I actually found it kind of depressing and scary to think that could possibly be a future. The movie was very well done though and it was so sweet when he was protecting EVE. I really liked it as a whole.

Still need to see Inside Out but it looks amazing.

Yes let's get back to IC. I think they are twins, but it would be cool if they are actually friends/lovers. Never really read up on them much even though I played their game a bit and really enjoy playing as them.
Lol I actually managed to resists the tears at the beginning of Up. It was when he was looking through the scrapbook when he realized he didn't let down his late wife after all that got me. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

What I meant by "deep" with Wall-E was the fact that it had a much bigger meaning. Surprisingly, a lot of people don't connect the dots with the whole dystopian future thing, which is why I called it deep.

I honestly hope they aren't siblings. I just think that the bond between them would be stronger if it wasn't naturally formed. Like, you HAVE to care about your family, but to care about someone else is special, y'know? That's why I'm rooting for friend/relationship for them.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Lol I actually managed to resists the tears at the beginning of Up. It was when he was looking through the scrapbook when he realized he didn't let down his late wife after all that got me. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

What I meant by "deep" with Wall-E was the fact that it had a much bigger meaning. Surprisingly, a lot of people don't connect the dots with the whole dystopian future thing, which is why I called it deep.

I honestly hope they aren't siblings. I just think that the bond between them would be stronger if it wasn't naturally formed. Like, you HAVE to care about your family, but to care about someone else is special, y'know? That's why I'm rooting for friend/relationship for them.
O then yeah I would have to agree. As I said it is a scary thought.

Agree with the IC.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian yeah I'm pretty sure the only reason "Let it go" has any following at all is because of the lyrics and Idina Menzel's amazing singing voice. Musically, I think it's actually straight up ripped off from a Tangled song, if I recall correctly. I have no ill will towards that song though, I mean sure it's overplayed, but it's not terrible or anything; not like all the other songs which are very meh or just plain annoying. That "Love is an Open Door" song is so bad on so many levels I developed a tick in the movie theatre immediately upon listening to it. So bad.

@ Clock Tower Prison Clock Tower Prison
Finding Nemo is an amazing movie. I think that, Wall-E, Up, and possibly Inside Out(I need to see it some more) are some of the greatest movies ever. I flip flop between which one is "better", Finding Nemo is more personal to me, Wall-E is pretty deep, and Up is amazingly written (and the first movie to make me cry), so I can't decide.

Back to the IC's, what does everyone think their relationship is? Brother and sister? Friends? Lovers?;)
Personally I think they're friends, at least going by Sakurai's original comments on them.
I've expressed my view on this matter multiple times. I think they're lovers, though I wouldn't put it exactly that way. The way I think, they're basically the best of friends, nothing can ever separate them (but we all know how that works in Smash...), and they have strong feeling for one another. Lovers? I'd say probably, and if not, just below it.

WALL-E was definitely a good movie. I have a hard time not smiling when the escape pod blows up, EVE come out of the ship only to find WALL-E blasting through space with a fire hydrant of all things, and he eventually gives her the plant. That is honestly my favorite and the best parts of the movie. I joke about thinking of WALL-E as the guy who just goes about his life till he meets that one girl, then spends forever just to confess his true feelings to her. But eventually it all works out. Lol. But a very good movie nonetheless, one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Somewhat related: I found Ice Climber sound effects for Costume Mario.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of them as siblings.

I don't like them as romantic partners or whatever. I want a boy and a girl who work together without being lovers. Like dance partners, who a lot of the time aren't real couples.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Somewhat related: I found Ice Climber sound effects for Costume Mario.
Wait what!?
I like the idea of them as siblings.

I don't like them as romantic partners or whatever. I want a boy and a girl who work together without being lovers. Like dance partners, who a lot of the time aren't real couples.
So good friends could work or....?

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Wait what!?

So good friends could work or....?
Yup, found the sounds on Sounds Resource.

From the looks of things, the costume would turn Mario into Popo, and give him IC sound effects

There's also unused sounds for Balloon Fighter, SMB2 Mario, Mr. Saturn from Earthbound, and the Pink Rabbit from 3DS's Badge Center.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

From the looks of things, the costume would turn Mario into Popo, and give him IC sound effects

There's also unused sounds for Balloon Fighter, SMB2 Mario, Mr. Saturn from Earthbound, and the Pink Rabbit from 3DS's Badge Center.
Wait......Popo went UNUUUUUUUUUSED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
OH, COME ON!!!!! I'VE MADE MY PEACE WITH SMASH 4, BUT THIS CRUD....ARE KIDDING ME?!?!

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I'm so confused as to what this could mean.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
@ Laniv Laniv can you elaborate just a little bit more? Like does this mean IC's (or just Sopo) is returning, along with the Pink Rabbit, Balloon Fighter, and....Mario? Or does it mean we're getting costumes, stages, ATs, etc...

Laniv

Smash Champion
@ Laniv Laniv can you elaborate just a little bit more? Like does this mean IC's (or just Sopo) is returning, along with the Pink Rabbit, Balloon Fighter, and....Mario? Or does it mean we're getting costumes, stages, ATs, etc...
I'm not saying it's totally, 100% confirmed...

but considering there's a costume for, of all things, a magazine mascot coming, I'd say DLC for the climbers is a very real possibility.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm not saying it's totally, 100% confirmed...

but considering there's a costume for, of all things, a magazine mascot coming, I'd say DLC for the climbers is a very real possibility.
Well this is pretty exciting. I'm gonna wait for more info though, but this is pretty hype.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
Remember, it's Mario maker sound effects, not smash bros

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Remember, it's Mario maker sound effects, not smash bros
Oh derp that changes everything Embarrass. Still a good sign though, the more Nintendo shows they haven't forgotten about the IC's the better.
That's exactly how I feel. It may not be Smash, but still, at least SOMETHING to show Nintendo hasn't suddenly up and forgotten all about the Ice Climbers all of a sudden.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That's exactly how I feel. It may not be Smash, but still, at least SOMETHING to show Nintendo hasn't suddenly up and forgotten all about the Ice Climbers all of a sudden.
I mean who knows what this could lead to right? I'm still holding out hope for a new IC game.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Does September 16, yesterday, sound familiar to anybody? It was the (approximate) date last year when Sakurai publicly deconfirmed the Ice Climbers and explained why. Fast forward one year and we still don't have them, Wolf is not only a dominating candidate in the ballot but considered by many as the last viable veteran, there is the 8-Player Smash misinformation targeted at ICies, and nobody but us seems to believe they even have a chance to return. Maybe we'll know something by Smash 3DS's one year anniversary? Maybe we'll have the same luck on October 23. I just want to be able to play as them on my Wii U.

Furret24

Smash Master
Does September 16, yesterday, sound familiar to anybody? It was the (approximate) date last year when Sakurai publicly deconfirmed the Ice Climbers and explained why. Fast forward one year and we still don't have them, Wolf is not only a dominating candidate in the ballot but considered by many as the last viable veteran, there is the 8-Player Smash misinformation targeted at ICies, and nobody but us seems to believe they even have a chance to return. Maybe we'll know something by Smash 3DS's one year anniversary? Maybe we'll have the same luck on October 23. I just want to be able to play as them on my Wii U.
Because they don't. The only remotely possible option is one Sakurai has no interest in doing.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
We'll have more news by Smash 3DS' 1 year anniversary I'm sure.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
It's one thing if they knew about the Ice Climbers problems before development and scrapped them--but they had them working on the Wii U --I don't care about 8-Player smash--if you can strip levels of moving objects, you can turn Ice Climbers off for that.
But it really boils down to what Sakurai deems appropriate---who do you think is more likely to return as DLC? Snake or the Icies?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's one thing if they knew about the Ice Climbers problems before development and scrapped them--but they had them working on the Wii U --I don't care about 8-Player smash--if you can strip levels of moving objects, you can turn Ice Climbers off for that.
But it really boils down to what Sakurai deems appropriate---who do you think is more likely to return as DLC? Snake or the Icies?
For the first part, I think most will agree with you on that here. I suggested that, if the had to be left out of certain modes and such for both games, then why not sell them at a discount? I think it's a decent solution.

As for Snake or IC's, I don't think either of them are likely in the slightest.
For Snake, he's a character that was put into the game for his buddy, Kojima who no longer works at the the company that owns Snake. Not only that, but IF Snake were to return, I'd imagine they would have announced it before Phantom Pain as it could have advertised both releases well.
For the IC's, we're all aware of the problems they have, and I don't think anyone is convinced Sakurai is going to either 1) change them to make them work or 2) release them on one version. So unless they magically figure out how they could make them work, I don't see it happening.
If I had to choose, I'd say the Ice Climbers were more likely, solely because we know work on them had already started before they ran into problems, and Nintendo doesn't have to jump through any hoops to get their rights like they would with Snake.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
For the first part, I think most will agree with you on that here. I suggested that, if the had to be left out of certain modes and such for both games, then why not sell them at a discount? I think it's a decent solution.

As for Snake or IC's, I don't think either of them are likely in the slightest.
For Snake, he's a character that was put into the game for his buddy, Kojima who no longer works at the the company that owns Snake. Not only that, but IF Snake were to return, I'd imagine they would have announced it before Phantom Pain as it could have advertised both releases well.
For the IC's, we're all aware of the problems they have, and I don't think anyone is convinced Sakurai is going to either 1) change them to make them work or 2) release them on one version. So unless they magically figure out how they could make them work, I don't see it happening.
If I had to choose, I'd say the Ice Climbers were more likely, solely because we know work on them had already started before they ran into problems, and Nintendo doesn't have to jump through any hoops to get their rights like they would with Snake.
I feel like with their data just sitting there on the Wii U, it must be somewhat tempting for Sakurai to release them XD

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We never found out what the technical limitations were, if they were fixable, then they should be released, but as free DLC.
I've heard that the 3DS' CPU is only capable of 6 AI at a time, and that's why they got cut. Not sure of how reliable that is, but it would mean that they could work in 1v1 and a few other situations at least. I agree they should be free if ever released, as they were planned ahead of time, but at the same time all that extra work isn't cheap, so I wouldn't mind paying a couple extra dollars for them.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I've heard that the 3DS' CPU is only capable of 6 AI at a time, and that's why they got cut. Not sure of how reliable that is, but it would mean that they could work in 1v1 and a few other situations at least. I agree they should be free if ever released, as they were planned ahead of time, but at the same time all that extra work isn't cheap, so I wouldn't mind paying a couple extra dollars for them.
Make them free when you buy the Wolf + sector Z bundle.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I would imagine if they kept working on them and found a solution for the 3DS, they'd be paid DLC. But if they just released them to Wii U, they would be free.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Make them free when you buy the Wolf + sector Z bundle.
I'm curious, are you really expecting that? I'm not criticizing you! (I couldn't find a way to ask without sounding snarky) I mean, I love Sector Z as a stage and it would be quite remarkable with 8-player smash and being connected to Wolf would be fab! Is it possible?

I could get behind that.

That makes perfect sense. You should be a marketing distributor!
I'm actually going for a Business Marketing degree!

Top Bottom