• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
R.O.B.'s analytical processors indicate that the new "Multi-Quote" feature allows you to quote more than one entry at a time using the "Insert Quotes..." option under the text box area to post. Like so...

Basically, it's a feature to use without having to hit the reply button, though you can rearrange the quotes in any order you want. It also allows you to easily quote something from one thread and carry it over to another. However, you must hit the "Quote" button at the bottom of a post before it can show up in the "Insert Quotes..." menu. If you have no quotes selected, the "Insert Quotes..." option will not appear.
Ha! I got it. Thanks Robot Operating Buddy!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I swear multiquote is where you have a quote inside another quote like this:
[quotes were meant to be inside one-another here]
edit: oh... idk how to get it to work... that's annoying :/

edit 2: GOCHA!
Yeah sure, so uh... the Ice Climbers want to know how this multi quote thing works...Anyone wanna help em out?
Mr. Game and Watch would love to know too. Beep.
Do it like this:
Code:
[quote]message 1[quote]message 2[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Adding information to memory banks...

Information computes. New reason for "Multi-Quote" feature found.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
DEAL WITH IT *puts on sweg glasses*

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wait, what? I wasn't saying anything like "That's stupid." or something like that... I was just saying you found something the rest of us didn't know about. Your reply is invalid. DEAL WITH IT.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I'm late. Better start replying.
Fair enough.

Ice Climbers... What about them do you all love?
It all started around the second time I played Melee. The first time I played was when I played it at my brother's friend's house. I turned and saw a GameCube game with Pikachu on it as well as Mario, which intrigued me, and was surprised to see that the game was rated T. I was too blown away by the concept of Mario and Pikachu to be in the same game with a teen rating to notice the title. So we played it, some four player and some tournament mode. I believe the only characters he had unlocked were Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Marth. I felt so satisfied when I beat a CPU Bowser on Brinstar with one stock left. It didn't take much to please me as a child. Then a couple years later, after I got my own GameCube, my brother walked into a GameStop with me with full intent of going there just to pick up a game called Super Smash Bros. Melee. It took me a while to properly pronounce Melee, but when I noticed the cover, and then the gameplay, I knew it was that same game from before. Now that same exact copy of Melee is still sitting proudly on my shelf to this very day, with all characters, all stages, Celebi unlocked, all events cleared, and 287 trophies. The game that started it all, and a major game that has contributed to making my childhood and making me the gamer I am today.

Now onto the characters. Naturally I started with Pikachu, my first main. I was such a novice I didn't know how to do down B or up B. Later on I had some fun with Yoshi, another character that I loved dearly. While enjoying the game with my brother and sister, I started to explore some characters I never knew existed. These characters that were new to me like Samus (not kidding), Fox, Captain Falcon, Ness, and at the time, my lack of skill and knowledge of how the basic gameplay works didn't quite do it for me with these characters except Fox. But then there was this one character, two rather, that were new to me but I was still drawn to: Ice Climbers. It's hard to explain, but they felt so accessible with their wide range of attacks and they were like no other on the roster. Over time, they just became my main and I've been so attached to them for nearly a decade now.
Back to the IC's, what does everyone think their relationship is? Brother and sister? Friends? Lovers?;)
Personally I think they're friends, at least going by Sakurai's original comments on them.
I believe biologically they're not related and mostly friends, but their friendship has the strength of a sibling relationship. So they're such good friends that they're practically brother and sister.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hello! What have I missed?
Site updates, opinions, predictions, off topic Disney discussions, and general apathy. Nothing too interesting, but I gotta feeling that this next week will give us something big to talk about.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I prefer to think of Popo and Nana as siblings. Friends doesn't make justice to how extremely close they seem to be, and lovers is just... weird.

Ah, how I want them to return :( I hope they get a slight redesign like the one I saw in my dream: more modern parkas, less tight on the head, Popo having longer hair and Nana wearing pigtails, and of course keeping their cuteness.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I prefer to think of Popo and Nana as siblings. Friends doesn't make justice to how extremely close they seem to be, and lovers is just... weird.

Ah, how I want them to return :( I hope they get a slight redesign like the one I saw in my dream: more modern parkas, less tight on the head, Popo having longer hair and Nana wearing pigtails, and of course keeping their cuteness.

This would be kinda weird if they were siblings, don't ya think?

I don't think having a strong bond is exclusive to siblings or intimate relationships. Friends tend to enjoy each others company, they tend to care about each other, and they aren't forced to in any kind of way. I think friendship is the strongest bond of all.

What's happening next week?
Nothing officially announced. But I gotta feeling...

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people think that since next Friday is the end of the Smash ballot and there's another unreleased stage waiting in the aisles (weird looking at code stuff, ask someone in the DLC thread), we might get something this coming week.

Your reaction: To honor the IC franchise despite their technical impossibility, the unrevealed stage is an IC stage, complete with all the music and fun stuff.

While it wouldn't be the same as having them in the game, it'd be nice to see their presence acknowledged (and not just tossed in the "miscellaneous" section). It would bode well for future games. Plus their jazzy songs are great.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
A lot of people think that since next Friday is the end of the Smash ballot and there's another unreleased stage waiting in the aisles (weird looking at code stuff, ask someone in the DLC thread), we might get something this coming week.

Your reaction: To honor the IC franchise despite their technical impossibility, the unrevealed stage is an IC stage, complete with all the music and fun stuff.

While it wouldn't be the same as having them in the game, it'd be nice to see their presence acknowledged (and not just tossed in the "miscellaneous" section). It would bode well for future games. Plus their jazzy songs are great.
I don't care about stages, so that wouldn't do anything for me. I do like their music though, so I guess it'd be cool. I just hope that a cool character gets in. Right now IC's, Wolf, Wonder Red, Inkling, and Isaac are on the top of my list.

Furret24

Smash Master
I don't care about stages, so that wouldn't do anything for me. I do like their music though, so I guess it'd be cool. I just hope that a cool character gets in. Right now IC's, Wolf, Wonder Red, Inkling, and Isaac are on the top of my list.
Wolf isn't cool.

He's epic.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
While cool, they don't deserve the spot. Wolf needs to come back and not from the ballot but like they did with Roy and Lucas. Same should be with IC. Also stages are fun! :)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
While cool, they don't deserve the spot. Wolf needs to come back and not from the ballot but like they did with Roy and Lucas. Same should be with IC. Also stages are fun! :)
Why don't the Inklings deserve a spot? Cool characters from Nintendo's newest, most relevant franchise with amazing move set potential don't warrant a spot? Color me confused.

I think that, if they didn't seem so hard to get "right", they'd be locks for DLC.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Why don't the Inklings deserve a spot? Cool characters from Nintendo's newest, most relevant franchise with amazing move set potential don't warrant a spot? Color me confused.

I think that, if they didn't seem so hard to get "right", they'd be locks for DLC.
I do believe it may have been you who said that there are so many worlds to explore? Maybe someone else not sure. Don't get me wrong they should be in the next game but there are others who I personally think have waited way to long for their chance to smash. KRool being one of them. Though their moveset could be amazing. I have not played Splatoon yet but I have seen some play of it and it's alright, but if you take what the game gives and turn it into a smash moveset then that is some serious potential.

Anyway back on topic.
ICs !!WHEN!! they come back and they WILL. Do you think they should retain their brawl stage or have something different added?

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

Yep, the problem is the moveset because... you know... 3DS Limitations and 8-Players Mode with the Ink spam xD.

The developers need to think about the Inklings since the first game-development's day.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I do believe it may have been you who said that there are so many worlds to explore? Maybe someone else not sure. Don't get me wrong they should be in the next game but there are others who I personally think have waited way to long for their chance to smash. KRool being one of them. Though their moveset could be amazing. I have not played Splatoon yet but I have seen some play of it and it's alright, but if you take what the game gives and turn it into a smash moveset then that is some serious potential.

Anyway back on topic.
ICs !!WHEN!! they come back and they WILL. Do you think they should retain their brawl stage or have something different added?
I did say that, and Splatoon is a different world though lol. It's fine, I get what you're saying, would still love them though. One of the few characters I'd really get hyped over.

Anyway, if they come back with a stage, I'd hope the Brawl stage Summit came back with a couple tweaks (like I don't want a change in physics when the iceberg is sliding down the slope). If not that then just a mountain stage with a few platforms that occasionally break off and then eventually respawn (imagine the side of an ice mountain that goes through the occasional avalanche).

Furret24

Smash Master
Anyway back on topic.
If we were to get the Ice Climbers (which is highly unlikely), they would probably be the last characters released, due to the amount of trouble it would take to make them work on the 3DS.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655

My reaction: No. Ice Climbers first, stage second regardless of circumstances. We already have the original Icicle Mountain/Summit music anyway.
Yep, the problem is the moveset because... you know... 3DS Limitations and 8-Players Mode with the Ink spam xD.

The developers need to think about the Inklings since the first game-development's day.
On the Inklings? Well, maybe certain amounts of ink would be more taxing on the hardware, but perhaps there's a workaround. It depends on what Sakurai has in mind if he can think of a good moveset and decides to go through with it.

I've had a thought. I know this might be mean of me to say but, do you think that Roy and Ryu were pre-Ballot characters because it was less likely that people would vote for them? I guess Sakurai had some inspiration and struck a deal with Capcom, but something about it feels too coincidential. Probably just the names. I mean, think about it. The support for Roy and Ryu never really skyrocketed until the data mining leak. It could just be me. I'm not gonna lie when I say that leaks involving characters I'm not looking forward to make me quite sour.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I did say that, and Splatoon is a different world though lol. It's fine, I get what you're saying, would still love them though. One of the few characters I'd really get hyped over.

Anyway, if they come back with a stage, I'd hope the Brawl stage Summit came back with a couple tweaks (like I don't want a change in physics when the iceberg is sliding down the slope). If not that then just a mountain stage with a few platforms that occasionally break off and then eventually respawn (imagine the side of an ice mountain that goes through the occasional avalanche).
I must say I do love Summit but part of me kind of wants something like Icicle Mountain back too.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
My reaction: No. Ice Climbers first, stage second regardless of circumstances. We already have the original Icicle Mountain/Summit music anyway.

On the Inklings? Well, maybe certain amounts of ink would be more taxing on the hardware, but perhaps there's a workaround. It depends on what Sakurai has in mind if he can think of a good moveset and decides to go through with it.

I've had a thought. I know this might be mean of me to say but, do you think that Roy and Ryu were pre-Ballot characters because it was less likely that people would vote for them? I guess Sakurai had some inspiration and struck a deal with Capcom, but something about it feels too coincidential. Probably just the names. I mean, think about it. The support for Roy and Ryu never really skyrocketed until the data mining leak. It could just be me. I'm not gonna lie when I say that leaks involving characters I'm not looking forward to make me quite sour.
Roy was probably fan service believe it or not. Before the full roster was revealed, Roy and Mewtwo were the two highest requested characters in Japan. While he may be mid-tier range in popularity here, he was really big in Japan, which is really the only justification Sakurai needs. Ryu on the other hand...

I'm not happy with the DLC so far, though. In my opinion, Mewtwo's the only worthwhile character to come out of it, and he wasn't done well. I'm hoping that the future holds more exciting announcements, maybe a group of two vets and two newcomers that were actually wanted. I'm tired of being told to be happy with something that I don't like. It's like someone tells you there ordering a pizza, then you see they decided to put pineapples and ham on it... Not cool.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Roy was probably fan service believe it or not. Before the full roster was revealed, Roy and Mewtwo were the two highest requested characters in Japan. While he may be mid-tier range in popularity here, he was really big in Japan, which is really the only justification Sakurai needs. Ryu on the other hand...

I'm not happy with the DLC so far, though. In my opinion, Mewtwo's the only worthwhile character to come out of it, and he wasn't done well. I'm hoping that the future holds more exciting announcements, maybe a group of two vets and two newcomers that were actually wanted. I'm tired of being told to be happy with something that I don't like. It's like someone tells you there ordering a pizza, then you see they decided to put pineapples and ham on it... Not cool.
While I'm bummed we still don't have characters like Ice Climbers and Wolf to fill those emotional voids, I do find Roy and Ryu to be fun to mess around with even though they're not my preferred choices. Of course, I genuinely appreciate the effort Sakurai has put in thus far to keep delivering on an almost year old game until it's 200% complete. It's the leakers that make me absolutely furious. Spoilers are the bane of my existence. Leaks are disgustingly disrespectful to the creator(s) of a product. They killed off all the hype that I would have had for Roy and Ryu even though I'd be much more hyped for ICies and Wolf, but I'd still get excited to a higher degree if they were not leaked and I'd be happy for the die-hard supporters.

From the looks of it now, the informational drought period was probably a necessity in order to prevent and de-incentivise leakers from breaching their data. So while the bigger things have been cooking, we had stages and costumes in August to hold us over, plus a Super Mario Maker stage coming out of nowhere as assurance that the information the Smash team has is now much more secure than before.

And another thought I've had intentions of mentioning, there seems to be the occasional talk about Smash 4 getting an NX port. I believe the concept was in the Rate Their Chances thread, and people such as RogersBase have suggested that it would be helpful to promote the NX. Roger in particular also suggested that it could have all the stages and modes from both versions along with exclusive characters who "couldn't" be in the original games like Ice Climbers. My two cents is this: For starters, if Smash 4 was ported to NX, it would kill off the incentive for many potential buyers of the Wii U and maybe cut into 3DS sales to a smaller degree. It would be the ultimate final nail in the Wii U's coffin giving it more reason to cease production beyond 2016. Second, I could only imagine how much work would have to be put into porting a game as big as Smash, combining the content, upgrading its graphics, adapting to the infrastructure, adding exclusive content, and so on would exhaust the team to no end. Lastly, it would piss off people far worse if Ice Climbers were NX exclusive rather than Wii U exclusive. Then there would be a unanimous feeling that people have been cheated out of content and didn't get their money's worth and now have to buy a whole new system just to get the "full" full experience. I think at least a good chunk of you know that I believe the NX should not launch in 2016 at all, and I hope Nintendo makes the right moves with both the Wii U and NX.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Technical Impossibility.

Announce ICies alongside it and you've got a deal.

As for a stage, I really don't know. I'd like to try something like Icicle Mountain, since I never played on it before, but the music lined up perfectly with the Summit stage. And I'd absolutely love to see what they could do with a new ICies stage.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
And another thought I've had intentions of mentioning, there seems to be the occasional talk about Smash 4 getting an NX port. I believe the concept was in the Rate Their Chances thread, and people such as RogersBase have suggested that it would be helpful to promote the NX. Roger in particular also suggested that it could have all the stages and modes from both versions along with exclusive characters who "couldn't" be in the original games like Ice Climbers. My two cents is this: For starters, if Smash 4 was ported to NX, it would kill off the incentive for many potential buyers of the Wii U and maybe cut into 3DS sales to a smaller degree. It would be the ultimate final nail in the Wii U's coffin giving it more reason to cease production beyond 2016. Second, I could only imagine how much work would have to be put into porting a game as big as Smash, combining the content, upgrading its graphics, adapting to the infrastructure, adding exclusive content, and so on would exhaust the team to no end. Lastly, it would piss off people far worse if Ice Climbers were NX exclusive rather than Wii U exclusive. Then there would be a unanimous feeling that people have been cheated out of content and didn't get their money's worth and now have to buy a whole new system just to get the "full" full experience. I think at least a good chunk of you know that I believe the NX should not launch in 2016 at all, and I hope Nintendo makes the right moves with both the Wii U and NX.
These rumors are brought on, mainly by how much sense they make. Smash is a really important game for Nintendo, and it's hugely necessary to promote a console. If NX is going to be coming in the next couple years, having Smash is a must. Seeing that the new Smash pretty much just came out though, AND that Sakurai seems pretty worn out on the franchise, a port seems to be the best option at the moment. Of course to make it worthwhile, extra/exclusive content is going to be needed. Whether that pisses of the fans that bought it or not doesn't matter, what does matter is that new fans can be 100% sure that this version is the "ultimate" version making it worth buying over the other options.

Personally, I'll probably just scrap my Wii U for an NX if it comes to that, but I understand the feeling of distrust fans have towards Nintendo. Thing is, it doesn't matter, as proven this generation, loyal fans don't really pay the bills and they stick around for pretty much anything, so we aren't the main concern in Nintendo's eyes, because they can and will take advantage of us.

Furret24

Smash Master
These rumors are brought on, mainly by how much sense they make. Smash is a really important game for Nintendo, and it's hugely necessary to promote a console. If NX is going to be coming in the next couple years, having Smash is a must. Seeing that the new Smash pretty much just came out though, AND that Sakurai seems pretty worn out on the franchise, a port seems to be the best option at the moment. Of course to make it worthwhile, extra/exclusive content is going to be needed. Whether that pisses of the fans that bought it or not doesn't matter, what does matter is that new fans can be 100% sure that this version is the "ultimate" version making it worth buying over the other options.

Personally, I'll probably just scrap my Wii U for an NX if it comes to that, but I understand the feeling of distrust fans have towards Nintendo. Thing is, it doesn't matter, as proven this generation, loyal fans don't really pay the bills and they stick around for pretty much anything, so we aren't the main concern in Nintendo's eyes, because they can and will take advantage of us.
As long as it has more online options and all of the DLC is available in the base game, I'd get it. Especially if it has exclusive content and better visuals.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
As long as it has more online options and all of the DLC is available in the base game, I'd get it. Especially if it has exclusive content and better visuals.
I'd buy it for improved online alone. I don't know exactly how netcode works, but I know Sm4sh's is terrible. If they fixed it for the ultimate version, I'd be down.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Personally, I think they need to Lumafy Nana's AI for 3DS and 8-Player, make Ice Shot call Nana back, make her try to recover. It's probably a lot more complicated than that, It's almost the same.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Many have said it's fake, because of the trophy description font, I don't know what to think though. I'd totally be down if they didn't have those ****ing costumes though.
I would rather have a Nintendo newcomer from the ballot in a game that celebrates Nintendo allstars. Keywords: Nintendo and allstars. Both of which Shovel Knight is not.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I would rather have a Nintendo newcomer from the ballot in a game that celebrates Nintendo allstars. Keywords: Nintendo and allstars. Both of which Shovel Knight is not.
I really don't mind him at all. I get your reasoning, and we all have our own opinions and ideas of how the roster should look (I've mentioned many times on how I hate repetitive characters), but I think Shovel Knight fits well in the game.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
New "leak"

Don't take it too seriously for now.
https://archive.is/Tf9QA#selection-1131.0-1131.23

Apparently Nana and Popo costumes or whatever.
I don't believe not one part of this
A. The Shovel Knight model looks highly under polished for Sm4sh standards
This

is a huge downgrade from this

2. Why would make a Runbow stage for Shovel Knight. That's like Samba de Amigo for Sonic. Just, huh?
I would like the Pokemon Trainer Mii Fighter though.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't believe not one part of this
A. The Shovel Knight model looks highly under polished for Sm4sh standards
This

is a huge downgrade from this

2. Why would make a Runbow stage for Shovel Knight. That's like Samba de Amigo for Sonic. Just, huh?
I would like the Pokemon Trainer Mii Fighter though.
Put a spoiler on these please. Some people may want to ignore these.

As for your points, we tend to doubt a lot of things that end up being real, for preconceived reasons of our own devices. For example, many doubted the ESRB leak, because of how the characters lined up, and the changing of thickness in the lines, yet when it came out it all made sense. Same could be the case here.

Top Bottom