• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Put a spoiler on these please. Some people may want to ignore these.

As for your points, we tend to doubt a lot of things that end up being real, for preconceived reasons of our own devices. For example, many doubted the ESRB leak, because of how the characters lined up, and the changing of thickness in the lines, yet when it came out it all made sense. Same could be the case here.
It could also be a hoax (Omni's Rayman and Dr. Mario "Leaks").

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Put a spoiler on these please. Some people may want to ignore these.

As for your points, we tend to doubt a lot of things that end up being real, for preconceived reasons of our own devices. For example, many doubted the ESRB leak, because of how the characters lined up, and the changing of thickness in the lines, yet when it came out it all made sense. Same could be the case here.
Sorry, fixed it

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Sorry, fixed it
You're good, I was just thinking about the pure hatred falcomaster has about anything leak related, and how much he'd hate to see that. Appreciate it!

If this thing does end up being fake (which I think it is), I'll wonder why no one has made a good IC one or Wolf one yet. I mean ****, everyone else has a decent one, why not one for the 2 Ninty vets that actually have a decent following?

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
You're good, I was just thinking about the pure hatred falcomaster has about anything leak related, and how much he'd hate to see that. Appreciate it!

If this thing does end up being fake (which I think it is), I'll wonder why no one has made a good IC one or Wolf one yet. I mean ****, everyone else has a decent one, why not one for the 2 Ninty vets that actually have a decent following?
Only thing close for ICs was the Ice Climbers and Pichu leak, and Wolf, poor guy, er, wolf.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Only thing close for ICs was the Ice Climbers and Pichu leak, and Wolf, poor guy, er, wolf.
True I forgot about that one, but that one wasn't anywhere near this one's level. I don't know why I want a fake IC leak so bad anyway, it's like I'm literally asking to be disappointed. I guess it'd just be nice to see them in the game, real or not.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You probably just want to know people to remember the duo. They're slowly dieing, so some news would be nice.
You know there's honestly more love for them than I ever expected there to be. Seeing the results on that poll on sourcegaming a week ago really helped change my perspective on how the IC's are viewed. I'm sure if they were in the same boat as Wolf (where they were cut for no reason) they'd be way more popular.

Honestly I just like to visualize stuff like that. Seeing characters I actually want on the roster is becoming a rarity these days. It's be nice to just see them there, fake or not.

EDIT: False Alarm People ! The leak has been confirmed fake:
https://twitter.com/NibrocRock/status/646154611695325184

How would like to be that guy? Someone requests a render months ago, steals it to make a fake leak. Then everyone criticizes it for looking like **** (probably just out of anger). Poor guy.

Anyway POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA you should be pleased.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
:4palutena:You gotta stay upbeat, upbeat, upbeat...
:4pit:Or you'll be deconfirmed, deconfirmed, deconfirmed...
You know there's honestly more love for them than I ever expected there to be. Seeing the results on that poll on sourcegaming a week ago really helped change my perspective on how the IC's are viewed. I'm sure if they were in the same boat as Wolf (where they were cut for no reason) they'd be way more popular.

Honestly I just like to visualize stuff like that. Seeing characters I actually want on the roster is becoming a rarity these days. It's be nice to just see them there, fake or not.

How would like to be that guy? Someone requests a render months ago, steals it to make a fake leak. Then everyone criticizes it for looking like **** (probably just out of anger). Poor guy.

At least that leak had somewhat of an interesting story to it, though no video footage so the traction wasn't quite there. And thanks for making sure I wouldn't get spoiled just in case. So many sites and videos and YouTubers just have no hesitation to spill the beans all over the internet. The saying that's being passed around is "Nothing is secret anymore." Maybe because so many people are bad at keeping secrets. Thankfully no harm done here this time. I'm hoping GameXplain learns the next time there's a legitimate leak, they don't put it in their title and thumbnail as they were the first to spoil me on BOTH the ESRB leak and the Roy/Ryu leak. Perhaps by the time a direct comes, I should just avoid anything Smash related not directly by Nintendo until then. But I have a feeling that it's more tightly secure now.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Gamexplain spoiled both the Roy/Ryu leak and Hyrule Warriors 3DS leaks for me, I'm not even subscribed to them, it just came up in my "recommended for you" section.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I really don't mind him at all. I get your reasoning, and we all have our own opinions and ideas of how the roster should look (I've mentioned many times on how I hate repetitive characters), but I think Shovel Knight fits well in the game.
To be fair many if not all characters can fit well in this game. Just look at Ryu. While I didn't want him personally a lot of people love him and I must say he fits.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
To be fair many if not all characters can fit well in this game. Just look at Ryu. While I didn't want him personally a lot of people love him and I must say he fits.
I respect that people like Ryu, but I don't think he fits well at all. In my opinion, his gameplay style is very un-Smash bros-like and obtrusive, and his art style doesn't fit well at all with the rest of the cast. The music is great though, so he has that going for him, but I still really hate his inclusion.

As far as SK is concerned, the whole reason he's so accepted by the Nintendo crowd is because he embodies everything NES/SNES. The way he looks and plays just screams Nintendo, and the music and dialogue ain't to shabby neither. If people didn't worry about 3rd parties and icon status so much, Ryu probably wouldn't even be given a second thought, while SK would be one of the most obvious choices. It's a shame that we choose 3rd parties based more on "importance" than actual like, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Just to get this out of the way, I'll always play devil's advocate on Ryu/Snake. I don't like them, and don't believe they fit in a game like this. So, for the sake of avoiding future flame wars (because it always ends up in a flame war), try not bringing up Ryu/Snake to me, as I have little self control when talking about them.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
As far as SK is concerned, the whole reason he's so accepted by the Nintendo crowd is because he embodies everything NES/SNES.
Except he doesn't
The way he looks and plays just screams Nintendo,
Except he doesn't
and the music and dialogue ain't to shabby neither.
It's chiptune.
If people didn't worry about 3rd parties and icon status so much, Ryu probably wouldn't even be given a second thought, while SK would be one of the most obvious choices.
No.
It's a shame that we choose 3rd parties based more on "importance" than actual like, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Just to get this out of the way, I'll always play devil's advocate on Ryu/Snake. I don't like them, and don't believe they fit in a game like this. So, for the sake of avoiding future flame wars (because it always ends up in a flame war), try not bringing up Ryu/Snake to me, as I have little self control when talking about them.
Well at least there's something we agree on.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Same to you sister c:
BS. I always put qualifiers like "In my opinion", "Probably", "I think", etc... , and carefully explain what I meant when I state an opinion. You can find one on literally everyone of my posts.

You decided to break down my opinions one by by one with condescending one word/line statements, with no explanation. It's not the same, like at all.

Last edited:

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
About shovel knight, he fits with Nintendo as much as any of the 8 bit retro indie game characters imo ( I haven't played the game though so I guess I can't really judge).About ryu, he doesn't seem too out of place for me, we have a lot of normal sizes humans, but I don't really care because he's a lot of fun, and that the most important thing for me with smash characters.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sure. I've got a bunch in my backpack from those stupid Spiteful Crows back in Onett...

*Gives swordofacorn a cookie*.

Last edited:

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
Sure. I've got a bunch in my backpack from those stupid Spiteful Crows back in Onett...

*Gives swordofacorn a cookie*.
A cookie! It must be my lucky day. ( wait a second! Only 6 hp! What the ****?!?!?!?!??!)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
A cookie! It must be my lucky day. ( wait a second! Only 6 hp! What the ****?!?!?!?!??!)
Ya sorry, it wasn't a very expensive cookie...and I didn't have any condiments for it either. :( Least you got the 6 HP back...

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698

Wow, that whole leak gave me a heart attack. Thank gosh, it's fake
Also, please politely tell me why they don't fit? Is it cause of their third party status?
One could argue the very reason you don't like them is why they're so unique and fun!--Snake has all his little explosives creating a gameplay based on timing. I personally have no idea how the heck Ryu even works, but he feels just like a Street Fighter character with some Smash features added to make him more bearable.
Also, in hindsight, I feel like it would be a low-blow on Sakurai's part to make Ice Climber costumes--it's onee thing to have the polar bear and music because they thought they'd be in the game, but it's another to work on costumes of all things as if to compensate.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I concur. Since we can almost all say they'll be returning for sure in Smash 5 (though it's still up for debate), it'd basically be the equivalent as if Mewtwo was made into a Pokeball in Brawl, then returned from Melee for Smash Wii U/3DS.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Wow, that whole leak gave me a heart attack. Thank gosh, it's fake
Also, please politely tell me why they don't fit? Is it cause of their third party status?
One could argue the very reason you don't like them is why they're so unique and fun!--Snake has all his little explosives creating a gameplay based on timing. I personally have no idea how the heck Ryu even works, but he feels just like a Street Fighter character with some Smash features added to make him more bearable.
Also, in hindsight, I feel like it would be a low-blow on Sakurai's part to make Ice Climber costumes--it's onee thing to have the polar bear and music because they thought they'd be in the game, but it's another to work on costumes of all things as if to compensate.
Well kind sir/ma'am, I don't speak for everyone, but I personally feel as if he is to young and isn't worthy of Smash yet, maybe Smash 5?

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Well kind sir/ma'am, I don't speak for everyone, butI personally feel as if he is to young and isn't worthy of Smash yet, maybe Smash 5?
wait, who are you referring to?

OH, I was referring to Snake and Ryu not fitting in to smash like the two above were agreeing on. I think Shovel Knight would be a marvelous addition to smash....but I think he should be in the back of the line. His name's probably not even on the list--he aint joining this nightclub.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Wait, let me redo the message.
Well kind AnonymousMoon AnonymousMoon , I don't speak for everyone, but I personally feel as if Shovel Knight is to young and isn't worthy of Smash 4 yet, maybe Smash 5?
That any better?
I agree, While I was referring to the the friendly scruffle between FunAtParties FunAtParties and lightdasher lightdasher regarding Snake and Ryu's "not fitting" in smash bros, on the topic of Shovel Knight, he's not really a character I think should get a spot. Yes, he is a notable independent character and he is unique in the aspect that he is a knight with a shovel, but as you said, he's only been out a year. If people still want him by the time Smash Bros 5 hits the pancakes, then by all means, let the mighty warrior join the frey. But for now, lI think they should focus on the characters who have deserved this for far longer. But that's just my bread and butter--what do you guys think?

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
I agree, While I was referring to the the friendly scruffle between FunAtParties FunAtParties and lightdasher lightdasher regarding Snake and Ryu's "not fitting" in smash bros, on the topic of Shovel Knight, he's not really a character I think should get a spot. Yes, he is a notable independent character and he is unique in the aspect that he is a knight with a shovel, but as you said, he's only been out a year. If people still want him by the time Smash Bros 5 hits the pancakes, then by all means, let the mighty warrior join the frey. But for now, lI think they should focus on the characters who have deserved this for far longer. But that's just my bread and butter--what do you guys think?
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to just bud in like that.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
AnonymousMoon AnonymousMoon

I always saw Smash as a more cartoony game, the anime look fits in my opinion, but Snake has this whole photo-realistic thing going on. Ryu is closer to realistic than anime in my view, and it's just not for me.

Snake doesn't blend well in the Nintendo universe in my opinion. People tell me "oh you should just listen to the Snake codecs it really helps him blend in"; oddly enough, that's what actually convinced me he didn't work with the others in the first place. They were just so cringe-worthy, and really just sad. His move set is also exceedingly overrated in my eyes, whether it's the ridiculously over powered projectiles, bombs that can be planted on opponent's bodies, or the freakin' box having a hitbox, I just hated all of it.

Ryu is a standard fighting game character trying to blend in Smash, and to me, he doesn't. Light jab (or light utilt or dtilt) to true shoryuken is easy enough to do when you get used to the over-complicated inputs and stupidly over-powered. It's a contrived character design that needs to stay in SF, it doesn't work here. More than anything though, he reminds me why I turned to Smash over the other fighting games in the first place. Smash didn't have all these absurd mechanics, or generic fighting game characters. Sadly, we've crossed that path with his inclusion, can't wait to see how the future of the series goes. /s

Of course this is all just my opinion, I just really hate those characters, I'll say the same about Pokemon Trainer if he gets brought up to me as well. This is why, when this all started, all I said is I'd rather have them NOT be brought up to me to avoid all of these spiels. I don't mind others talking about them, I'd just rather not as my opinion isn't a very popular one, and I'm tired of being reminded of that.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
It's just ironic to me cause while I understand visually & mechanically Snake and Ryu are kinda awkward compared to the other characters, that's what made them interesting to use! I find it funny how those two characters have a similar vibe with their respective inclusion into the series. Mega-Man, Pac-Man and Sonic all blend into Smash nicely but Snake is strangely realistic and I have no idea how to use Ryu. Next time a newcomer DLC comes out, I'm gonna fight against them first to see if they're any good.
I don't want any indies or fresh faces as smash DLC. Because I don't want to get attached to them just to have them cut in the next game. I can imagine Sakurai going all out in this game, bringing back as many veterans as he can. I mean, he's expecting people to vote for veterans in the ballot, right? might as well include them.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's just ironic to me cause while I understand visually & mechanically Snake and Ryu are kinda awkward compared to the other characters, that's what made them interesting to use! I find it funny how those two characters have a similar vibe with their respective inclusion into the series. Mega-Man, Pac-Man and Sonic all blend into Smash nicely but Snake is strangely realistic and I have no idea how to use Ryu. Next time a newcomer DLC comes out, I'm gonna fight against them first to see if they're any good.
It's fine that you like Ryu, I just never will. To play him at full blast, just do half or quarter circles during special inputs to get the really strong attacks. It's a callback to traditional fighters. For down b, you can cancel the attack by double tapping in either direction. Helps with the recovery. Watch Trela, 6WX, or Mr. R if you ever wanna catch him being played on the competitive side.

I don't want any indies or fresh faces as smash DLC. Because I don't want to get attached to them just to have them cut in the next game. I can imagine Sakurai going all out in this game, bringing back as many veterans as he can. I mean, he's expecting people to vote for veterans in the ballot, right? might as well include them.
I guess that makes sense for SK, but I don't think Inklings are going away any time soon. I only bring that up, because they seem to be a topic of discussion. Splatoon's big, and it's only going to get bigger; if the Inklings make it in, they won't ever leave, I'll guarantee you that.

Top Bottom