• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
So I know I'm new and all and obviously The Ice Climbers are ideally what we want but if we just get popo back he should at least have his final smash temporarily gain Nana, right?
That will make the character empty and unoriginal. We already have Robin for that anyway (Robin+Chrom are the final smash) and it would leave us without Nana in competitive play.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I know I'm new and all and obviously The Ice Climbers are ideally what we want but if we just get popo back he should at least have his final smash temporarily gain Nana, right?
IF it's going to be just Popo, then yes, Nana should also appear in some way. But most of us have agreed that we want BOTH Climbers back.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
IF it's going to be just Popo, then yes, Nana should also appear in some way. But most of us have agreed that we want BOTH Climbers back.
Yes I completely agree. I'm simply trying to find some positive ways that if just popo comes back it could work. They could just have Ice climbers take up two spots when selected, that way the 3DS could handle it, obviously this would only be a last resort if they can't get around the problems before and they won't make it Wii U exclusive... I just really want them in.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
How about Ice Climbers as a Wii U only DLC?
As much as I want Sakurai to do this, the chances of that happening are insanely low, and I know that he would only do it if there was a mass outcry to do so (i.e. on the scale of the backlash that Nintendo got for forbidding people to play Melee at Apex that forced them to withdraw within 5 hours)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yes I completely agree. I'm simply trying to find some positive ways that if just popo comes back it could work. They could just have Ice climbers take up two spots when selected, that way the 3DS could handle it, obviously this would only be a last resort if they can't get around the problems before and they won't make it Wii U exclusive... I just really want them in.
We all do. And hopefully we can take advantage of this chance to get them back in. We'll need a good amount of support though, so every little thing helps.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Should of been like this fro the start.
Stupid technical limitations........
It killed them on their 30th anniversary.
Should have been a Wii U only game. Smash has always been on a home console, not some crappy handheld that can barely handle it.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Should have been a Wii U only game. Smash has always been on a home console, not some crappy handheld that can barely handle it.
I dunno 3ds should have been a spate game.
It should have held us over with slightly less characters then this game.
We should have the Ice Climber as the Wii U is the most powerful console to date.
And if exclusivity is a problem Sakurai once thought of restricting Marth and Roy to japan only.
:marthmelee::roymelee:A whole different region exclusive.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ostracising an entire fanbase for the sake of a character is pretty cold (pun not intended). The Wii U has a relatively small install base and I can't imagine one game, even a game such as Smash, would suddenly shift consoles to a sufficient extent. Nintendo need something to cater to the fans and people who want to play Smash, and the 3DS happened to be the best avenue with that they've got.

I get that you support the Icies and all, but are you really willing to burn bridges with an entire subset of the gaming community (one that is significantly larger than the console install base, especially in Japan, where handheld game is much more popular than console gaming) for the sake of a single character?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ostracising an entire fanbase for the sake of a character is pretty cold (pun not intended). The Wii U has a relatively small install base and I can't imagine one game, even a game such as Smash, would suddenly shift consoles to a sufficient extent. Nintendo need something to cater to the fans and people who want to play Smash, and the 3DS happened to be the best avenue with that they've got.

I get that you support the Icies and all, but are you really willing to burn bridges with an entire subset of the gaming community (one that is significantly larger than the console install base, especially in Japan, where handheld game is much more popular than console gaming) for the sake of a single character?
Is it not possible that they could be put on the New 3DS? I'm sure if Japan loves handhelds that much, then they would trade in for a New 3DS. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people, fans or not, that the ICies loss has impacted, as it doesn't quite feel like Smash without them. We are just looking at a possible solution to the problem, and one that most of us enjoy since the New 3DS has the power to bring back the ICies. Because of the New 3DS AND Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot, we have been granted a chance to get them back in the game, one which we all want to take full advantage of.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Is it not possible that they could be put on the New 3DS? I'm sure if Japan loves handhelds that much, then they would trade in for a New 3DS. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people, fans or not, that the ICies loss has impacted, as it doesn't quite feel like Smash without them. We are just looking at a possible solution to the problem, and one that most of us enjoy since the New 3DS has the power to bring back the ICies. Because of the New 3DS AND Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot, we have been granted a chance to get them back in the game, one which we all want to take full advantage of.
It's definitely possible. I'm pretty sure they could work on the New 3DS without any issues, it's just a matter of whether Nintendo are willing to go down that route.

Good luck, either way. Never hurts to let your voices be heard.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It's definitely possible. I'm pretty sure they could work on the New 3DS without any issues, it's just a matter of whether Nintendo are willing to go down that route.

Good luck, either way. Never hurts to let your voices be heard.
Thanks. We're trying our best.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
As much as I want Sakurai to do this, the chances of that happening are insanely low, and I know that he would only do it if there was a mass outcry to do so (i.e. on the scale of the backlash that Nintendo got for forbidding people to play Melee at Apex that forced them to withdraw within 5 hours)
Technically that was EVO.

But yeah, I can't see one character exclusive to one version, as much as I would love to play as the ICs.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
So Reddit made a Top 15 most voted characters and I was surprised to see Ice Climbers this high!

I was thinking people would vote for new characters rather than veterans, and I don't think Ice Climbers need to be number one for Sakurai to get the idea! (But if Roy is the picked veteran newcomer instead of ICs, Snake or Wolf..... I will die)

Snipe

Smash Cadet
I have a sinking feeling this might belong here. It's a movie about an ****** who has lost everything; his job (Smash Bros.), his home (NES console), and his wife (nana). In a state of depression, he freezes himself in a block of ice in an attempt to take his own life. However, he ends up in the year of 20XX, where Foxes have taken over the world. The meta of Melee, moving too fast, forces him to also move fast-so fast that he accidentally travels back in time to his present era. There, he witnesses a steel boat sinking after crashing into an iceberg he made in the past, which kills every single passenger but one floating on a life jacket. To make up for his action, he tries to save that one last passenger, but the ship explodes for some reason, killing that survivor too. As a consequence of his own guilt, he freezes himself in a block of ice in an attempt to take his away his own life. However, he ends up in the future year of 20XX... and then he witnesses himself sinking yet another boat... yea... nothing goes his way.

Last edited:

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I have a sinking feeling this might belong here. It's a movie about an ****** who has lost everything; his job (ice climber game), his home (smash bros.), and his wife (nana). In a state of depression, he freezes himself in a block of ice in an attempt to take his own life. However, he ends up in the year of 20XX, where Foxes have taken over the world. The meta of Melee, moving too fast, forces him to also move fast-so fast that he accidentally travels back in time in his present era. There, he witnesses a steel boat sinking after crashing into an iceberg he made in the past, which kills every single passenger. As a consequence of his own guilt, he freezes himself in a block of ice in an attempt to take his away his own life. However, he ends up in the year of 20XX... and then he witnesses himself sinking yet another boat... yea... nothing goes his way.

I think its better if his home is the Ice Climber game and his job was Smash Bros

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
So Reddit made a Top 15 most voted characters and I was surprised to see Ice Climbers this high!

I was thinking people would vote for new characters rather than veterans, and I don't think Ice Climbers need to be number one for Sakurai to get the idea! (But if Roy is the picked veteran newcomer instead of ICs, Snake or Wolf..... I will die)
how do people get these stats?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971

Smh sorry in advance but the roy main in me is taking over, Roy deserves that spot just as much as anyone else and with some revamping could a nice semi clone that holds his own and may even surpass the orginal.... Alright..sorry about that. Anyway I'm hoping sakurai picks 2-3 veterans (Roy,Ice Climbers and Wolf/Snake) and 1 new comer since they'd be the hardest to program (persoanlly I'd love any of those...except Shovel knight)

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300

Where's Conker???

Aside from that and Waluigi's presence: srs he has been in literally nothing but spinoffs why do people want him??? I am SOOO happy with this.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
As long as people stop voting for freaking Daisy, I'll be ok with that poll. Words can't explain how much I hate that character. Having her in Smash would be a really horrible thing for me.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
apparently there is also a surge of people who are starting to vote for Reggie

Also if you want a more detailed version of the survey's results, here they are:
click on the image in the spoiler to enlarge it.

"Wolf: 9.59%"
"Snake: 9.83%"
"Ice Climbers: 7.87%"
"Shrek: 1.71%"

Also why did anyone bother voting for N? He'd just be a non-nostalgic Pokémon Trainer.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Also if you want a more detailed version of the survey's results, here they are:

Also why did anyone bother voting for N? He'd just be a non-nostalgic Pokémon Trainer.
So happy to see the ICies doing this well! Let's keep it up!

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I need ICs back we NEED to get them, I voted for ICs as characters I wanted to be in sm4sh, someone chose sticks, not a bad option.
Just in case can someone link me to the site for ICs again

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591

My eyes are bleeding from reading this list.
So much stupid third and fourth party characters.
Still its nice to see Ice Climbers so high.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Oh they were! Really? 16 Ice Climbers at once with no lag?
Hmmm this is something that is bothering me too, I hope thay can make them work for 8-player smash because there is a reason why they removed the mirror in the Wii Fit stage (which I think is for lag, for rendering 16 characters... Ice climbers in any stage for 8player smash would be 16 characters...+AI... But I'll stay positive)

Where's Conker???

Aside from that and Waluigi's presence: srs he has been in literally nothing but spinoffs why do people want him??? I am SOOO happy with this.
Tbh I think the only reason Waluigi is popular is because of webcomics that give him a "funny" or "sadbackground" story that isn't even freaking canon, look at him just from the games, he has no personality. Also he is already an Assist so there is no way in hell he is getting in.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Is it possible to prevent the ICs from being used in 8-Player mode? I mean, Miis are already banned from online so why not?

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
More like who is ever going to play an all Ice Climbers 8 player smash so many times that its going to affect their enjoyment of the game if it lags. But I guess it has to work or they are out...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Have we not worked out 6 times already that Sakurai said they were working fine on the Wii U, and that the statement most likely implied they were working in 8-player Smash as well?

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Hmmm this is something that is bothering me too, I hope thay can make them work for 8-player smash because there is a reason why they removed the mirror in the Wii Fit stage (which I think is for lag, for rendering 16 characters... Ice climbers in any stage for 8player smash would be 16 characters...+AI... But I'll stay positive)
The reason the mirror was removed was because it was AIs which need to directly mirror each of the characters (pun intended). As Nana's AI is independent of the AI for Popo, only loosely mirroring it, it does not need to react on as strict a schedule as the mirrors do. At least I assume that is the difference.
My eyes are bleeding from reading this list.
So much stupid third and fourth party characters.
Still its nice to see Ice Climbers so high.
What makes a fourth party character? Is it a character which is second party to another company?
More like who is ever going to play an all Ice Climbers 8 player smash so many times that its going to affect their enjoyment of the game if it lags. But I guess it has to work or they are out...
I'd do that...

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
how do people get these stats?
Ongoing poll on Reddit. I'm pretty content with the top 15 as I only have strong objections to one character on that list (Spoiler alert: it's Roy). Knocking out the third party characters, Ice Climbers are in the top ten so it's not a terrible uphill climb. Also, not going to lie, it cracks me up how much people still want Waluigi despite all the factors going against him. I'd love for him to be playable and it'll be hilarious if he winds up as one of the characters picked.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ongoing poll on Reddit. I'm pretty content with the top 15 as I only have strong objections to one character on that list (Spoiler alert: it's Roy). Knocking out the third party characters, Ice Climbers are in the top ten so it's not a terrible uphill climb. Also, not going to lie, it cracks me up how much people still want Waluigi despite all the factors going against him. I'd love for him to be playable and it'll be hilarious if he winds up as one of the characters picked.
Most of the characters in the current top 15 I either don't care whether or not they get in or I want them in. Only objections I have are Waluigi (he's an Assist Trophy in this iteration, maybe next time), Ridley (stage boss, again maybe next time), and Paper Mario (we've already got Dr. Mario who I HATE TO DEATH, we don't need another). And although Paper Mario could have a different moveset, I think it's stupid to have 3 Marios in the roster. The characters I'd like to see from the top 15 are ICies, Wolf, and Inkling (could have a cool moveset, though I don't know much about Splatoon). The rest I don't care much if they make it in.

PokémonSpears

Smash Rookie
Is there any possibility that they include the Ice Climbers only on the Wii U version, and maybe just individually in the 3DS? Well, I think they'll lose the sense of their existence as an individual character, but it sucks they were removed from the game

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hey, just wondering. Was the story with the Ice Climbers just that the development for them was taking too long on the 3DS due to the difficulty? I want to vote for them alongside Bandana Dee, and was wondering if this was the reason, because if it is, it implies that they can work on the 3DS, it would just take longer than they had time for.

If this wasn't the reason, maybe they can take the Rosalina and Luma route, and program Nana similar to the Luma.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Hey, just wondering. Was the story with the Ice Climbers just that the development for them was taking too long on the 3DS due to the difficulty? I want to vote for them alongside Bandana Dee, and was wondering if this was the reason, because if it is, it implies that they can work on the 3DS, it would just take longer than they had time for.

If this wasn't the reason, maybe they can take the Rosalina and Luma route, and program Nana similar to the Luma.
I believe the story was that they were having problems getting them running on the 3DS, and because they were low priority they didn't get/spend much time to get them working

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Simply put, the 3DS didn't have enough processing power to handle them without lag. The Wii U version was supposedly able to handle them just fine up until 8 players matches while the 3DS version struggled with 4 on screen.

Top Bottom