• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
Already vote for them, this thread is dead u_u I really want them back, at least Popo with Nana costume...

PeterJude

Smash Ace
To be honest, with them working on DLC, I'd expect there are a few working on the Ice Climbers still, trying to find a way to make them work in the hardware limitations. I doubt they'd go for having only Popo, as they seem to be perfectionists about it, but you never know. Leaving them on the cutting room floor would be a strange decision in the end, but we'll see what comes of it in the end.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lol, love the advertising. Guess I need another ICies drawing for support, what do you guys think if I draw them with a victory high five with "Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot" in between their bodies? Something similar to what lightdasher has, but with them in their Smash incarnations.

Speaking of that picture, thanks for the new avatar, lightdasher! :)

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
I can think of three ways they could change the Ice Climbers to work in the 3DS version

1. Duck Hunt Method: Both Popo and Nana are rendered at once but in terms of hurtboxes and animation they count as one character. This method is the most visually similar but would have no splitting.
2. Zelda Phantom Method: Popo is solo but summons Nana for special attacks. Could allow for some desnc but may still be taxing
3. Charizard Method: Change Popo's up B and have Nana as a gendered alt. Simplest solution but make the most mad.

Out of these three which would you want/think is more likely.
The only real option is to simply forgo the 3DS version, or find a way to make them only available on the New 3DS. If the Wii U and 3DS versions could heavily interact with each other then I'd understand the need to keep both versions of the roster the same, but all you can do by connecting the systems is swap Miis and use the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U. They're not interconnected games, and I don't think one version should force character compromises on the other.

MachRider94

Smash Rookie
NNID
MachRider94
3DS FC
5198-2646-6379
Should we continue voting for this character?
I want them to be single fighters (Nana as an alternate costume) instead of a pair.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that the 3DS problem isn't unsolvable. Maybe with a few tweaks, even considering making Nana AI more like Luma. But let's not forget that they were also cut because of low priority. IMO, they now have all the time to solve the 3DS problem.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Should we continue voting for this character?
I want them to be single fighters (Nana as an alternate costume) instead of a pair.
Only reason I'd support this idea is if it was a last resort. Otherwise, they'd better be the duo character that they are.

I'm pretty sure that the 3DS problem isn't unsolvable. Maybe with a few tweaks, even considering making Nana AI more like Luma. But let's not forget that they were also cut because of low priority. IMO, they now have all the time to solve the 3DS problem.
4 words: Advertise New 3DS more. Problem solved. Everybody will disregard the old one, ICies get DLC on New 3DS, everybody wins.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Only reason I'd support this idea is if it was a last resort. Otherwise, they'd better be the duo character that they are.

4 words: Advertise New 3DS more. Problem solved. Everybody will disregard the old one, ICies get DLC on New 3DS, everybody wins.
New 3ds is getting the advertisement over here in the UK and a lot of it too :D

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
They could just do it Wii U/New 3DS exclusive but I don't think Sakurai would want to leave traditional 3DS owners without them.

I sadly just don't see Ice Climbers happening. I really want them to though.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I believe that the IC can come back, but I don't believe in New 3DS exclusivity. This means that 3DS and New 3DS players can't play together.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sounds good.

They could just do it Wii U/New 3DS exclusive but I don't think Sakurai would want to leave traditional 3DS owners without them.

I sadly just don't see Ice Climbers happening. I really want them to though.
If Nintendo advertised the New 3DS and made it look way better (good way to do so would be ICies DLC), then we wouldn't need to worry because nobody would care about the old 3DS.

I know if I had old 3DS and ICies were announced as New 3DS DLC I'd ditch my old 3DS.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
soz to double post, but ive just noticed this and alerts don't happen if u edit in a reply/tag sooo...
oml ur from the UK? Which part?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
It would be awesome if they came back.....

However, Sakurai's stubbornness to have the EXACT roster for both versions is the reason (and the 3DS hardware) as to why they have been ultimately cut.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It would be awesome if they came back.....

However, Sakurai's stubbornness to have the EXACT roster for both versions is the reason (and the 3DS hardware) as to why they have been ultimately cut.
If we keep voting for ICies, he will get the message. I'm pretty sure they know or are at least thinking about whether or not the ICies can work on New 3DS. In fact, if they can, I'll bet that they might be working on implementing them right now.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If we keep voting for ICies, he will get the message. I'm pretty sure they know or are at least thinking about whether or not the ICies can work on New 3DS. In fact, if they can, I'll bet that they might be working on implementing them right now.
that would be welcome

C3CC

Smash Lord
Thought I'd pass by to support you guys. I only wanted Mewtwo and Lucas back, my mains from Melee and Brawl respectively, but I was really mad when I saw the Ice Climbers were cut. They were some of the most original characters in the series, and while I never used them, I do miss them, and I know how awful it feels to have your main cut (I went through that twice).

I already voted for them in the Ballot. Good luck, guys!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thought I'd pass by to support you guys. I only wanted Mewtwo and Lucas back, my mains from Melee and Brawl respectively, but I was really mad when I saw the Ice Climbers were cut. They were some of the most original characters in the series, and while I never used them, I do miss them, and I know how awful it feels to have your main cut (I went through that twice).

I already voted for them in the Ballot. Good luck, guys!
Thanks for the support. We need as many people as we can get to vote for these guys to get back in.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a small group of the smash team working on IC as they are doing DLC. However, every vote we get will spur them on to work faster, and that is vital for us to get the ice babies back.

edit: dang having the same avatar makes it really difficult to work out who's talking XD

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a small group of the smash team working on IC as they are doing DLC. However, every vote we get will spur them on to work faster, and that is vital for us to get the ice babies back.

edit: dang having the same avatar makes it really difficult to work out who's talking XD
I had it first, get your own! Lol, but no, we can both have it.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So honestly I was never a huge fan of playing the Ice Climbers when I was younger. I never was willing to put in the time to adjust to their unique style. So I just wrote them off as unique and cute meh characters. And so they're exclusion from smash 4 was well sad understandable(kind of) and accepted. Then when I started Project M I decided I'd pick up a new main besides Roy (who's been my main since Melee) and so I randomly picked them....and in just first two stocks I was hooked. They're some of the most fun I've ever had playing smash. And well I'll admit getting a kill with just Popo is extremely rewarding I will be casting my vote for the Ice Climbers. If Popo gets in I'm sure I'll play him as a secondary or something but if the Ice Climbers(assuming Roy doesn't get in which also extremely sad ;_; ) I'd want to main them....sorry for this long and boring story I just really wanted you guys to know you have my vote ^.^

Last edited:

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers are life. Although I can kinda see why they were removed. They would take up a lot of space on the 3ds version and Imagine if someone picked 8 ice climbers total on 8-Player mode. That would be a lot to handle.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So honestly I was never a huge fan of playing the Ice Climbers when I was younger. I never was willing to put in the time to adjust to their unique style. So I just wrote them off as unique and cute meh characters. And so they're exclusion from smash 4 was well sad understandable(kind of) and accepted. Then when I started Project M I decided I'd pick up a new main besides Roy (who's been my main since Melee) and so I randomly picked them....and in just first two stocks I was hooked. They're some of the most fun I've ever had playing smash. And well I'll admit getting a kill with just Popo is extremely rewarding I will be casting my vote for the Ice Climbers. If Popo gets in I'm sure I'll play him as a secondary or something but if the Ice Climbers(assuming Roy doesn't get in which also extremely sad ;_; ) I'd want to main them....sorry for this long and boring story I just really wanted you guys to know you have my vote ^.^
Thanks for the support. Nice to see another ICies main and another vote for them.

Guys I reckon you should get the votes up with the Wolf Supporters generally speaking it may help both their chances.
I mean it might have Lucas being tied to Wolf :)
Uh...what do you mean?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
*To original "Ice Climber" theme tune*

Hey guys!
Fighter Ballot, huh?
Well, all you gotta do,
Is vote for the Ice Climbers!

D

Deleted member

Now that mewtwo and Lucas are in I can focus on getting the main A teir back. I'm supporting y'all.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Once Wolf is revealed, I'll change my vote to Ice Climbers as soon as possible!

C3CC

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers are life. Although I can kinda see why they were removed. They would take up a lot of space on the 3ds version and Imagine if someone picked 8 ice climbers total on 8-Player mode. That would be a lot to handle.
But Sakurai did say that they worked perfectly on the Wii U version, so I assume he included 8-Player Smash in that statement. Honestly I don't care about the 3DS version; they should make them a Wii U exclusive if necessary (I know it won't happen, though...)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Now that mewtwo and Lucas are in I can focus on getting the main A teir back. I'm supporting y'all.
Nice to know we've got another one with us.

Once Wolf is revealed, I'll change my vote to Ice Climbers as soon as possible!
Thanks, and if ICies come first, I'll give my full support to Wolf as well.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Can I ask a really dumb question? How is Rosalina's Luma different to Popo's Nana?
Luma is not a complex AI in the same way Nana is. Luma follows a very basic and simple pattern, in the same way that Olimar's Pikmin do.

Nana is a full AI that loosely mirrors Popo's movements. Luma's basically a sentient item, Nana is a whole other character attached to Popo.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
They were working perfectly on 8 player smash :]

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Soz to double post, but this is completely unrelated to the last post, so it makes no sense to pair them.

Could we get a petition attatched to this thread so that we can get a list of the current supporters? Or would I need to get permission to do a thread similar to that of the Wolf petition (cause that would be ideal if I could)?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So I know I'm new and all and obviously The Ice Climbers are ideally what we want but if we just get popo back he should at least have his final smash temporarily gain Nana, right?

Top Bottom