• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Why not scrapping the whole battle team thing and make Sopo that can handle himself? Nana's AI is beyond stupid and is so random that it makes IC harder to play than Olimar. Why not having Sopo, with Nana as an alt, have a fixed moveset. Up B the Climber that is not used helps the played Climber to recover and said non played cliber appears in the victory screen. Without another Climber chaingrabs are no longer an issue. And if you want both Climbers play teams. Fans get the characters, there's no more issues playing them and gimmicks, everyone wins! Who cares about a broken gimmick that brings problems?
That takes away the one thing that made the ice climbers so fun and technical to use. Taking away the second climber is like taking the peanut from peanut butter, and tbh if Sakurai did that the backlash would be intense. Remember: the main draw to the Ice Climbers is their ability to use the two fighters regardless of how dumb the second climber is - and quite frankly ,with the improved AI in SSB4, that probably wouldn't be so much of an issue as in brawl/melee - with a big part of IC play revolving around recovering maintaining the second climber. It would take a huge amount of depth out of the matchup both for the IC player and the opponent, and they wouldn't be fun compared to the other characters. So no: everyone doesn't win.

This is a message to anyone coming to this thread for the first time; if you are coming to this thread, don't just say that taking away the second climber would be fine and dandy, because that shows plain ignorance and it doesn't maintain the main purpose of the thread: speculation about the return of the actual ice climbers. We don't want some some ripoff that doesn't maintain the uniqueness of the character, and saying that Sakurai should do so is defying both the purpose of the thread the entire reason that people want IC to return in the first place.

E: sorry if any of this sounds like a personal attack. I don't mean for it to be like that: its just that it really sets me off when people say that it would be fine for the second climber to not be there.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
That takes away the one thing that made the ice climbers so fun and technical to use. Taking away the second climber is like taking the peanut from peanut butter, and tbh if Sakurai did that the backlash would be intense. Remember: the main draw to the Ice Climbers is their ability to use the two fighters regardless of how dumb the second climber is - and quite frankly ,with the improved AI in SSB4, that probably wouldn't be so much of an issue as in brawl/melee - with a big part of IC play revolving around recovering maintaining the second climber. It would take a huge amount of depth out of the matchup both for the IC player and the opponent, and they wouldn't be fun compared to the other characters. So no: everyone doesn't win.

This is a message to anyone coming to this thread for the first time; if you are coming to this thread, don't just say that taking away the second climber would be fine and dandy, because that shows plain ignorance and it doesn't maintain the main purpose of the thread: speculation about the return of the actual ice climbers. We don't want some some ripoff that doesn't maintain the uniqueness of the character, and saying that Sakurai should do so is defying both the purpose of the thread the entire reason that people want IC to return in the first place.

E: sorry if any of this sounds like a personal attack. I don't mean for it to be like that: its just that it really sets me off when people say that it would be fine for the second climber to not be there.
Completely agree. They are called Ice ClimberS for a reason, and they've been a double character since Melee. Don't you think that if Sakurai wanted there to be only one, he would have done something about it already?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

The Petalburg

Smash Rookie
Oh my god! I feel so stupid for not trying to find this thread earlier!! Please list me as a supporter. I'm a dedicated ICies main in every game they're in, and I would really love them to come back.

........Sigh..... Even if it has to be Sopo 24/7 because of technical limitations.

So, I miss the Ice Climbers so much that I made an amiibo...

More here: http://oxyborb.blogspot.com/2015/03/ice-climbers-amiibo.html
Keep the hope alive! Never forget! Team Ice!
And wow, that is really beautiful! Very good work!!

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Here is an IC teaser for hype... as well as a few other teasers if you wish to read them...

TEASER 1: Ice Climbers
An Icy Reception
Setting: There is a fight going on atop the volcano on Maka Wuhu. This is between Peach, Zelda, Shiek and Bowser (all starter characters in Melee who also happen to be newcomers).

Plot: The main theme of Melee is playing in the background The camera pans its way up and around the volcano to reveal the fight that is going on at the top. No character is giving an inch until they all stop, as if they feel something is missing. Then, as the camera is positioned on Peach and Zelda from a fair distance, two hammers slam down - one from either side of the shot - and the music stops. The camera pans around in amazement (because it is clearly a Lakitu manning it) until it reveals Popo and Nana are stood there.

Ice Climbers Double the Trouble

They nod purposefully before swinging their available arms until they are gripped in one another's hands. They tense and Wuhu Island freezes over. Then there is a standard teaser montage of the Ice Climbers, showcasing the ability to wobble, their all new final smash (bonus stage) and their new stage: Frozen Maka Wuhu. Cue Smash logo, followed by a sketch featuring Ice Climbers, Mega Man, R.O.B., G&W and Duck Hunt, with them being the retro flagships.

Teaser 2: Lucas
PK Thunder
Setting: Ness has stumbled into Tazmily Village in pursuit of Mario, Sonic and Mega Man.

Plot: Ness has stumbled into Tazmily Village in pursuit of Mario, Sonic and Mega Man, who are fleeing from the fight due to his intense power. When Ness miss-aims PK Thunder and hits Lucas' postbox, he is given a nasty surprise, being in the firing line of someone else's PK Thunder. The camera pans along the route that the mysterious PK Thunder took until it shows Lucas, who promptly dashes behind a tree, only to stick his head around about a second later.

Lucas Steps into the Fray

He gulps, before jumping out with a determined look on his face. Then the montage starts, showcasing Lucas fighting and his new final smash, PK Love. Cue smash logo, followed by a sketch of him and Ness teaming up and running off, only for the Flying Man to follow behind them.

Teaser 3: Wolf
A Bitter Rivalry
Setting: There is a fight happening on the planet Venom between a fleet of Arwing and Wolfen.

Plot: Both fleets go in all guns blazing when all of a sudden an Arwing and a Wolfen both perform a somersault as they go past one another, both ejecting their pilots at the top of the loop. The two land on top of the Great Fox - one of them onto a wing, the other out of shot - and Fox is revealed to be one of the pilots that ejected, standing on the wing. A blaster shot barely misses Fox, and the camera swings up to the 'top fin' of the Great Fox to reveal Wolf

Wolf Stalks His Prey

He chuckles in a mocking fashion, before jumping up off of the 'fin', crashes onto Fox's wing and dashes towards him. The montage is shown, showcasing Wolf fighting, his stage (Melee's Venom) and his new final smash, Wolfen Armada. Cue Smash logo, followed be him and fox sliding away from each other (on a lightning-split screen showing them both) - breathing heavily - and ending with them launching at one another.

Edit: also I'm LOVING the April Fools avy and mains.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Lord it's been a while.
How's it hanging :D
Also if this were real it would only leave the following veterans.
:lucas::squirtle::ivysaur::snake::roymelee::pichumelee::younglinkmelee:
And that is a good thought.
Indeed, good to see you again. I've been hanging in there ;)

As much as i want this to be real, i really doubt it.

I hate April Fools Day...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, I'm thinking it's pretty much now or never for the ICies (if they talk about Smash 4, if not there's still a chance). Let's see what Nintendo has for us...

Also, this "Shaq Boards" thing is just a huge April Fools, right?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
OK, so Mewtwo AND Lucas confirmed DLC, along with (after Direct is over), a Vote Casting Fighter Ballot for new DLC fighters! CHANCES FOR ICIES AND ALL OTHER VETERANS ARE AT AN ALL TIME HIGH!!! Also, Mewtwo gets released on my birthday! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hey, DoodleDuck97, you got one of your 3 mains back!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
We are able to confirm characters we want for DLC right now! I'm voting for Ice Climbers! Let's get these two back in!!!

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
OK, so Mewtwo AND Lucas confirmed DLC, along with (after Direct is over), a Vote Casting Fighter Ballot for new DLC fighters! CHANCES FOR ICIES AND ALL OTHER VETERANS ARE AT AN ALL TIME HIGH!!! Also, Mewtwo gets released on my birthday! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hey, DoodleDuck97, you got one of your 3 mains back!
I'm in tears man you have no idea.
My hands are shaking :')

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm in tears man you have no idea.
My hands are shaking :')
I'm also practically in tears. Congrats man. Just cast my vote for ICies. This truly is the best Smash game ever created. Now if we could get ICies and Wolf in there (and a few more characters), this game will be SOOOOOOOOOOO complete!

This is the best April Fool's day ever! April Fool's? This is more like an April WINNERS day!

Hold on...the guy that's always talking has a "Challenger Approaching" shirt on...could there be one more at the end of this????? Or even better...a certain TWO character duo???????

Last edited:

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
Just voted.

The ice climbers are the most fun character to appear in the smash series to date. Many fans will be delighted to see them return. If it is still impossible to use their classic moveset, popo can be added as an individual climber, after all in the original game you only control one in single player.

Didn't know what else to say.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just voted.

The ice climbers are the most fun character to appear in the smash series to date. Many fans will be delighted to see them return. If it is still impossible to use their classic moveset, popo can be added as an individual climber, after all in the original game you only control one in single player.

Didn't know what else to say.
I said that I thought they were a well-established, unique, and popular character throughout Melee and Brawl, and that even though there were problems getting them to work on the 3DS, I hoped they would be able to be implemented with the New 3DS' processing power.

The door for the ICies return is open wider than ever before now. All we gotta do now is literally, break the ice. There's a solid chunk of it and on the other side is Smash. Let's break through!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Lord, they could have just done the Smash stuff by itself and that would have been enough. DLC is real and there will be more than Mewtwo. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped another DLC bombshell at E3. What a day for Smash fans. It's actually possible that the Ice Climbers can come back!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Voted for Ice Climbers, hope they don't get drowned by all the weird votes
Remember it said Sakurai and co. will review the votes first, so it's likely the stupid ones will be thrown out.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lord, they could have just done the Smash stuff by itself and that would have been enough. DLC is real and there will be more than Mewtwo. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped another DLC bombshell at E3. What a day for Smash fans. It's actually possible that the Ice Climbers can come back!
Double post. But ya, just the first few minutes of Smash would have been enough. It's likely they'll talk about Lucas DLC along with announcing another character (the one with, at that point, the most votes most likely) at E3.

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Does anyone know if they'll IP track or whatever so no duplicates? I'm worried the votes will get messed up by a flood of Ridley votes or something.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Am I the only person who got "you are not allowed to access this page" after clicking confirm on my vote? Has it gone in or not? I am so confused :S

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Am I the only person who got "you are not allowed to access this page" after clicking confirm on my vote? Has it gone in or not? I am so confused :S
When did you vote? They may have been updating the site at that time.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
yass it went through this time :]

inb4 4chan trolls and sends in a flood of Shrek nominations...

or they make M2K playable.

Even if we don't get ICs back, at least I've got my Brawl main back :]

Last edited:

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
I said that I thought they were a well-established, unique, and popular character throughout Melee and Brawl, and that even though there were problems getting them to work on the 3DS, I hoped they would be able to be implemented with the New 3DS' processing power.
Saying they are well established, unique and popular is probably the right idea, all 3 things should be what the developers are looking for. Other than inkling I think it will probably be a well established character. However i'm not sure the new 3ds will be a fix as most people will still only have the original and it's unfair for the new character not to be playable for them.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Saying they are well established, unique and popular is probably the right idea, all 3 things should be what the developers are looking for. Other than inkling I think it will probably be a well established character. However i'm not sure the new 3ds will be a fix as most people will still only have the original and it's unfair for the new character not to be playable for them.
That's pretty much what I went for. Not just my own personal reasons, but I tried to come up with reasons the entire Smash community would say for their return.

I think that if Nintendo were to advertise the New 3DS more, and make ICies DLC for Smash for 3DS/ New 3DS, people would come around for ICies. It'd also be a bit of profit for Nintendo for those who trade in their original 3DS for the New 3DS.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can think of three ways they could change the Ice Climbers to work in the 3DS version

1. Duck Hunt Method: Both Popo and Nana are rendered at once but in terms of hurtboxes and animation they count as one character. This method is the most visually similar but would have no splitting.
2. Zelda Phantom Method: Popo is solo but summons Nana for special attacks. Could allow for some desnc but may still be taxing
3. Charizard Method: Change Popo's up B and have Nana as a gendered alt. Simplest solution but make the most mad.

Out of these three which would you want/think is more likely.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I can think of three ways they could change the Ice Climbers to work in the 3DS version

1. Duck Hunt Method: Both Popo and Nana are rendered at once but in terms of hurtboxes and animation they count as one character. This method is the most visually similar but would have no splitting.
2. Zelda Phantom Method: Popo is solo but summons Nana for special attacks. Could allow for some desnc but may still be taxing
3. Charizard Method: Change Popo's up B and have Nana as a gendered alt. Simplest solution but make the most mad.

Can I ask a really dumb question? How is Rosalina's Luma different to Popo's Nana?

Anyway, to answer your question, I think 2 could work well, I'd never thought of that method. I'm not sure how well 1 would work visually. I'd still be happy with 3 if it meant I could see them in HD.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Can I ask a really dumb question? How is Rosalina's Luma different to Popo's Nana?

Anyway, to answer your question, I think 2 could work well, I'd never thought of that method. I'm not sure how well 1 would work visually. I'd still be happy with 3 if it meant I could see them in HD.
They're not THAT different, Nana turns into a level 3 cpu when dysnc'd were as Luma just has to float back to Rosalina after a while

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Only option I'd be happy with is option 1. I need to have both on screen at the same time. Then, otherwise, it's not the Ice Climbers anymore. I won't accept Nana only coming in for certain moves, as the rest of the time I'm just walking around as Popo. It wouldn't work for me. In my world, I won't be satisfied unless they work just like they did in Brawl (and Melee of course, but I've only got experience with Brawl).

Top Bottom