• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai mentioned trouble with adding Ice Climbers to the 3DS. And that he might have to reduce characters.

This would be my solution to the Ice Climbers in Smash 4.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
By the way you say that, I'm led to believe that you mean ICs will essentially act more as a single character. How else would that make it easier to add ICs to the 3DS when the problem is that they functioned more as two before?

So, that actually sounds pretty interesting, if what I'm thinking is right. Perhaps they'd be permanently desynced somehow, and commands, other than simply following and jumping, would work separately for both ice climbers all the time.

ie.: Popo and Nana are launched, they fly away together. They both jump back towards the stage to recover, at the same time. 90% damage Kirby comes down to edgeguard, Popo (or whichever is lead IC) does a forward air-smash, and as it comes out Nana jumps ahead, turns around, and starts a meteor down-smash. (All very quickly, kinda like chaingrabbing ;P) Popo hits Kirby forward, and Nana meteors Kirby to his death.

EDIT: It'd also be kind of cool if they could fly away with Popo and Nana perpetually spinning about the belay, with the center of the belay being the axis of rotation. Thus adding a bit of depth to recovering efficiently and safely, using the positioning of Popo being behind or in front of Nana to one's advantage in terms of mind-games and surprise factor/requiring good reading by opponent.

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
I really hope they remain. Just a few changes to their grabbing and perhaps power up the solo IC slightly when their partner dies.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
If I remember correctly Sakurai said he was trying to revive dead gaming icons. Ice Climbers last game and only game was on NES......So I highly doubt there going plus I love playing as them but seriously the chaingrab is just ridiculous -.- and if they cut IC's I'm not gonna be happy and my friend since he loves Ice Climbers if they get cut my friend is gonna to EXPLODE with anger o_o

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I think that if there is one IC in 3DS and 2 in Wii U, IC mains are mostly gonna go to the Wii U version, if it allows for chaingrabs.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I think that if there is one IC in 3DS and 2 in Wii U, IC mains are mostly gonna go to the Wii U version, if it allows for chaingrabs.

Well they arent just going to throw SoPo in there as just his own character with no added buffs or changes. Some people do like the character/s ya know...

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Well they arent just going to throw SoPo in there as just his own character with no added buffs or changes. Some people do like the character/s ya know...
What is SoPo?

[Corn]

Smash Ace
What is SoPo?

Solo Popo, people shorten it to differenciate the single Icies as seperate characters. This is because they play radically different then when both are alive and are basically unique characters themselves.

Likewise Solo Nana is sometimes call SoNa, though most people still refer to the lead climber as Popo regardless of costume.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Solo Popo, people shorten it to differenciate the single Icies as seperate characters. This is because they play radically different then when both are alive and are basically unique characters themselves.

Likewise Solo Nana is sometimes call SoNa, though most people still refer to the lead climber as Popo regardless of costume.
Okay then, thanks. And I have to agree with your earlier post. I wasn't thinking of SoPo getting buffs. That makes me wonder what place they would make on the tier list in the seperate games

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Okay then, thanks. And I have to agree with your earlier post. I wasn't thinking of SoPo getting buffs. That makes me wonder what place they would make on the tier list in the seperate games

Honestly if SoPo gets buffs and the only chaingrab he gets is D-throw/Fsmash he will be considerably higher. This will be especially true if they buff his recoverys to that of an average one.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Honestly if SoPo gets buffs and the only chaingrab he gets is D-throw/Fsmash he will be considerably higher. This will be especially true if they buff his recoverys to that of an average one.
Yeah, I would hate playing as one IC with the same useless recovery as it was in Brawl when you lost one IC.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Yeah, I would hate playing as one IC with the same useless recovery as it was in Brawl when you lost one IC.
playing as one IC is just horrible in fact I don't even want to get into detail about it.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I love the Ice Climbers, which is why I think maybe they should be buffed a bit, allowing the GIRL to fight by herself too. Yes? No? Kill me? What's your thoughts?

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I love the Ice Climbers, which is why I think maybe they should be buffed a bit, allowing the GIRL to fight by herself too. Yes? No? Kill me? What's your thoughts?
That would make them way more annoying than they have to be. So yes, I will kill you.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
That would make them way more annoying than they have to be. So yes, I will kill you.

LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN!

In all seriousness, yeah, that WOULD be annoying. Let's stick to the sexist normal way then :troll:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Well, by switching their costumes, you switch who is lead. 1st, 3rd, 5th costumes Popo leads, 2nd, 4th, whatever, Nana leads. So both get to lead in Brawl.

BUT I do think that having either character able to become lead after one dies could be a very nice, reasonable change. It's not really hard to switch from one to the other once one of them dies (ie: when Popo is flying off into the distance after being launched, I often try to throw out a quick fsmash with Nana--though it hardly ever works out). I think that's the most reasonable, very possible change to be made proposed in this thread.

What'd also be nice is to have Belay (B+Up) cancel-able so that you can use it purely for desync.

So, say I belay: Nana is teleported to Popo, nana thrown up and slightly forward first, and if you choose to cancel, Nana will pull Popo up, and Popo will be the first to be able to attack, and after a short delay, which will make the effort worth it, Nana will be able to attack. The delay will be optimal, so that Nana's identical attacks are spaced out from Popo's.

Depending on when you cancel, it might be similar to a shorthop or a full regular jump.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
So many disrespect to the IC. Remove/separate them because they have an annoying chain grab? Really? That would **** up the main reason Sakurai makes SSB, join every single Nintendo franchise together. New or old, forbidden or popular, if he sees potential characters he includes them no matter what(basically what happened to Pit in the last game). With this said the Ice Climbers are unique and really fun to play as, there's no need to remove them from the roster at all, just change their grab to make it barely impossible to chain it like they do and they're fine.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
The disrespect most likely comes from how annoying it is to fight them. With Pit, separating them is easy, so I don't really mind that.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
They've been in since Melee. I doubt they will leave.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I hope not I just hope there not seperate because there suppose to stick together.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I hope not I just hope there not seperate because there suppose to stick together.
I hope the Ice Climbers are stuck together. Someone else said this. When you hit one IC, the other flies with it because they are attacked by an invisible string. This could affect their recovery though.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I hope the Ice Climbers are stuck together. Someone else said this. When you hit one IC, the other flies with it because they are attacked by an invisible string. This could affect their recovery though.
It would kind of :\

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
Maybe that makes them easier to add in the game

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Do ya'll think IC Chain Grabs will still be in?
You never know when Namco's handeling stuff.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Do ya'll think IC Chain Grabs will still be in?
You never know when Namco's handeling stuff.
well, if the grab mechanics stay the same, then they'll probably stay. but they can remedy this by giving them completely new grabs, designed so that its IMPOSSIBLE to chain grab.
I know its a bit of work to do: some new animations, hitboxes, knockback, ect... but that's how id fix it. their grabs lack pizazz anyway.:ohwell:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
well, if the grab mechanics stay the same, then they'll probably stay. but they can remedy this by giving them completely new grabs, designed so that its IMPOSSIBLE to chain grab.
I know its a bit of work to do: some new animations, hitboxes, knockback, ect... but that's how id fix it. their grabs lack pizazz anyway.:ohwell:
Also, they could make it so that' it's possible to regrab 2 times, but no more after that.
Ala King (Tekken).

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope ice climbers makes it through the technical issues into the 3ds version because they were in melee

Thor

Smash Champion
Give the ICs Dedede's grab range and make all their hammer attacks more powerful. Make their recovery solo stronger (maybe as good as Captain Falcon's). Make their grab have very low lag. Make squall-hammer stronger and with more knockback at the end to make it less punishable. Make it give it more height when button mashing too. Keep the down-throw chaingrab. Make Belay teleport the second climber to the position of the first if the user holds B so they can try to keep both climbers alive. Make the ICs a solid character for more reasons than just zero-deathing people. Do even more stuff.

Then remove their *********** zero-death chaingrabs. One solid one (down-throw) up to about 50% with a meteor smash at the end is more than enough in my opinion. And if people say they should keep zero-deaths, while I will respect your opinion, I will say I hope they then get the grab range of Melee Pikachu (or Brawl Ganondorf). With the traction [at least in shield] of Brawl Luigi. And none of the other buffs I mentioned above.

Sorry, I really really don't like Ice Climbers chaingrabbing the **** out of me... but as I say that I want them back anyway, because I hate seeing old faces cut (miss you Mewtwo, Roy, Doc, ... sort of miss you self-damaging lightweight).

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Keep them exactly as they are and I'll be perfectly content with using them all the time. Maybe buff Nana's stupid-ass AI system.

NImapO

Smash Rookie
Isn't this new duo (Rosalina and Luma) a fact that Ice Climbers can be indeed implemented?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isn't this new duo (Rosalina and Luma) a fact that Ice Climbers can be indeed implemented?

Pretty much. Olimar calmed my doubts a little bit and Rosalina has pretty much cleared them completely. Part of Rosalina's playstyle is to completely desync with another character so if the 3DS can handle a character that complicated, it can definitely handle the Ice Climbers.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
While it's good for the Ice Climbers chances, I can't help but feel all chances of a more useful Nana outside of desyncing are better spent on Luma :/

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I don't think Rosalina helps the Ice Climbers chances (which is sad because I'm an Icies player), because Luma doesn't have separate AI. Luma is set in one spot and performs the same moves that Rosalina does directionally. There's no AI to that. He just follows the button presses.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I don't think Rosalina helps the Ice Climbers chances (which is sad because I'm an Icies player), because Luma doesn't have separate AI. Luma is set in one spot and performs the same moves that Rosalina does directionally. There's no AI to that. He just follows the button presses.
You do realize that Nana does the exact same thing with a desync, right? Nana and Luma copy what the player does, making them extremely similar minus a few things.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
minus a few things
Minus a few key things. Desync is broader for Nana. She moves / navigates the stage / uses recovery on her own. She has AI. Luma, as far as I can tell, is set in one place and follows Rosalina exactly. Meaning, no AI.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
January 30th is the anniversary of Ice Climber. It's the only Ice Climber event that can reveal Popo and Nana. So... time to start the hype?

Top Bottom