• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Morbi

Scavenger
January 30th is the anniversary of Ice Climber. It's the only Ice Climber event that can reveal Popo and Nana. So... time to start the hype?
They have to be revealed in the winter, that much is certain. :awesome:

Anyways, that wouldn't be the most hype reveal ever, but it would at the very least tell us something about the development. Then again, what happened last anniversary? One pertinent to Smash? Nothing.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Maybe to solve the chain grabbing issue they could make a universal change where if a character is thrown they are then invulnerable to grabs for a certain amount of frames. This would eliminate all of the chain grabs not just IC's. Then just adjust the grabs to allow certain combos/setups for each character as a case by case basis. Give the strongest combos or setups off grabs to ICs since they have always been designed around their grabs and there you go no more infinites and climbers retain their trait.

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
Let's hope there will be an announcement for these two tomorrow. It's probably the only day/event which is related to Ice Climbers. Even though it's the 29th Anniversary of the game. Plus it's a Thursday and normally character reveals happens on a Thursday. (Other than Directs and Dedede)

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Tonight, I attempt to summon the Ice Climbers.

"Winter is coming."
*Builds a shrine to Herobrine*
In an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice, "CHILL!!! CHILL!!!!"
*Eats the heart of a snowman*
*Sets down 200 eggplants in a circle and sits in the middle*
"ICEBERG!" I say.

AceSox

Smash Rookie
So much chain grab whining. I can't take it!

At any rate, I honestly see no reason to cut anyone from the game. Wii U can handle a full smash roster.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm so excited to see IC's HD revamp! I know they probably won't change much from Brawl, but they've always had amazing personalities and Sakurai is really working on character facial expressions this time around.

Playing as the Ice Climbers is so fun. I wonder what kind of small changes they'll have. Extra ice effects!!

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I'm so excited to see IC's HD revamp! I know they probably won't change much from Brawl, but they've always had amazing personalities and Sakurai is really working on character facial expressions this time around.

Playing as the Ice Climbers is so fun. I wonder what kind of small changes they'll have. Extra ice effects!!
Yeah. It'll be cool (no pun intended).

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I hope Sm4sh makes it so the secondary Ice Climber doesn't dematerialize when the leader gets KO'd. Especially when both are CPUs.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I HATE CHAIN GRABBING! I hope Nana become inability to grab anyone & won't trigger smash move when Popo is currently grabbing someone.

Handicapped Nana or bust. (seriously)

What I'm trying to say: Make Nana only follow Popo's move (copycat), not directly from your control commands.

I'm thinking maybe she'll grab someone incorporately with Nana, to hold it more securely? That could work, because they were able to hang on the same ledge at once.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, IC fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. The Ice Climbers need more votes if they're going to stand a chance of getting in. Do you think you could spare a moment to vote for them (and others)?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hope all you want, but they're likely to come back. They've been in two games already, and have a unique playstyle in Sakurai's eyes.

I just hope they rely less on the chaingrab, and perhaps make the Down B a bit more useful.
I looked back at this thread, and now realize how stupid this sounds...

I meant the Down Air, guys, not Down B. :facepalm:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
SO

Sakurai has stated that players with "multiple characters" had been causing problems on the 3DS

Today, Olimar is confirmed to carry only three Pikmin at a time.

What does this bode for the unrevealed climbers? Will drastic changes be made?

Rosalina + Luma still gives me hope, seeing as they're confirmed on 3DS. But it appears Luma requires a lot less AI to perform, as opposed to Nana who is... well, essentially a bot tied to the player.

Fingers crossed!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Happy to see that, I like the Ice Climbers. I don't doubt they will be cut. I just can't wait to see the rendering in HD. :D

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
i kind of fear they might not make the cut this time

With the Polar Bear present and the fact of an even more complex tag team type concept in Rosie and her luma. There's not a chance.

They're all but confirmed at this point.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Something I noticed while re-watching the Direct, around 4:16 (when Gerudo Valley is being shown in the 3DS stage reel) if you look on the right side of the screen you can see a lot of what looks like ice...

Could this be another hint at the Ice Climbers returning? Or is it the work of the Gerudo Valley stage bosses, Koume and Kotake the Twinrova Sisters? Or is it something non-icy and I'm losing my marbles?

Just something to think about...

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Something I noticed while re-watching the Direct, around 4:16 (when Gerudo Valley is being shown in the 3DS stage reel) if you look on the right side of the screen you can see a lot of what looks like ice...

Could this be another hint at the Ice Climbers returning? Or is it the work of the Gerudo Valley stage bosses, Koume and Kotake the Twinrova Sisters? Or is it something non-icy and I'm losing my marbles?

Just something to think about...
It's Twinrova's work, dude. Don't read too much into those sorts of things.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I'm excited to see what the Ice Climbers will look like in HD. I also can't wait to see what they look like in their official artwork.

Last edited:

bicth

Smash Cadet
With the Polar Bear present and the fact of an even more complex tag team type concept in Rosie and her luma. There's not a chance.

They're all but confirmed at this point.
I think that Rosalina and Luma are the reason for the Ice Climbers not being in SSB4. I don't think there would be two tag teams in one game. Seems a bit complex.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think that Rosalina and Luma are the reason for the Ice Climbers not being in SSB4. I don't think there would be two tag teams in one game. Seems a bit complex.
That's got to be and I apologize for this..

The most reaching reason for deconfirmation I've ever read.

I fail to see how two tag teams would be complex. If anything Rosalina's complexity with her Luma shows that Popo and Nana are easy to implement. I mean you can't exactly send Nana out from Popo to act individually.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Rosalina, at best, may have just delayed their confirmation. No reason why they can't both co-exist especially considering their tag-team dynamic are nowhere near the same concept.

bicth

Smash Cadet
I just feel that, because the Ice Climbers are one of the lesser known Nintendo characters (to the new generations) and a tag team, Sakurai replaced them with Rosalina and Luma. However, I hope I'm wrong.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I loooooooooooooove ice climbers

I am so sad if they do not come back

They just have such a happy-go-lucky style. Nana and Popo. Kinda dorky and happy and simple. Such a great wonky fighting style, dependence on randomness and silliness and luck. If they come back and can't chaingrab, I will main them!! I just think they're so happy!!! happy and retro :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just feel that, because the Ice Climbers are one of the lesser known Nintendo characters (to the new generations) and a tag team, Sakurai replaced them with Rosalina and Luma. However, I hope I'm wrong.
If they were cut, why on Earth would the Polar Bear be an enemy in Smash Run?

Anyway, I can't wait to see them. Fuzzy parkas for the win.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I fail to see how two tag teams would be complex. If anything Rosalina's complexity with her Luma shows that Popo and Nana are easy to implement. I mean you can't exactly send Nana out from Popo to act individually.
I heard the GameCube had some minor lagging issues when 4 pairs of Ice Climbers were being played. But if Olimar is in with the Pikmin, it would only make sense for the Ice Climbers to be in even if it means dumbing Nana down.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I heard the GameCube had some minor lagging issues when 4 pairs of Ice Climbers were being played. But if Olimar is in with the Pikmin, it would only make sense for the Ice Climbers to be in even if it means dumbing Nana down.
Okay, but here's the sitch. On the 3DS which is why all the characters who have been downplayed or downgraded have been done. Take that. Then think about 4 Rosalina and Lumas on screen. All with the Luma separated from Rosie.

There's no way that wouldn't cause more of an issue than 4 Popos and 4 Nanas. Simply because you now have 8 characters on screen acting individually.

I don't expect them to be all that downgraded at all.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I'm really getting sick of people saying that Rosalina & Luma are replacing the Ice Climbers. That's not gonna happen. Just because they're two in one character does not mean they're similar to each other. They play entirely different.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm really getting sick of people saying that Rosalina & Luma are replacing the Ice Climbers. That's not gonna happen. Just because they're two in one character does not mean they're similar to each other. They play entirely different.
They are pretty much confirmed due to the return of the Polar Bears in Smash Run.

So don't worry about a thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom