• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

bicth

Smash Cadet
If they were cut, why on Earth would the Polar Bear be an enemy in Smash Run?

Anyway, I can't wait to see them. Fuzzy parkas for the win.
The Polar Bear was an enemy in adventure mode in melee and had a cameo on the IC stage in Brawl. He could bethe recurring character from the series. He could also represent their series in Smash 4 without having the Ice Climbers present. Such is the case with many of the assist trophies and items of Brawl. How many Animal Crossing references were in Brawl while the series still lacked a fighter?

Needless to say, I hope the Ice Climbers come back. However, I'm doubtful.

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
The Polar Bear was an enemy in adventure mode in melee and had a cameo on the IC stage in Brawl. He could bethe recurring character from the series. He could also represent their series in Smash 4 without having the Ice Climbers present. Such is the case with many of the assist trophies and items of Brawl. How many Animal Crossing references were in Brawl while the series still lacked a fighter?

Needless to say, I hope the Ice Climbers come back. However, I'm doubtful.

Don't be. Because of the Polar Bear, I'm sure they will be back.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well, if we don't see Ice Climbers on the 24, I'll eat my shorts.
you might be remember 2 things

pokemon x and y got no represeter (but then turn out greninja was unmasked so he was the guy that was presenting for it.)

and in march when we got no body (even though that was because of the direct)

Burigu

Smash Ace
At this point like lots of people have said C. Falcon, Ness, Wario and Ice Climbers are without almost any doubt returning, developers will not put the polar bear for example if they weren't in, why use the polar bear to represent and franchise that the developers find not worthy of a returning playable character?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We had items shown off. Of course, we already knew Wario because of Ashley, we have Samurai Goroh for the Falcon, Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge for Ness and/or Lucas, and the Polar Bear enemy for IC. At least 4 characters are a given now.

Burigu

Smash Ace
We had items shown off. Of course, we already knew Wario because of Ashley, we have Samurai Goroh for the Falcon, Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge for Ness and/or Lucas, and the Polar Bear enemy for IC. At least 4 characters are a given now.
Yes I know I just saw somepeople still questioning the return of Ice Climbers even with the polar bear being present in the game

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Reasons for Ice Climbers being in SSB4:
1) Polar Bear is in Smash Run
2) Rosalina&Luma shows multiple characters acting. Same goes with Olimar and his 3 Pikmin. So after all there can't be much of a problem getting the Ice Climbers work. Of course they were having a problem, but since the statement of Sakurai there has been evidence these problems have been solved.
3) By confirming some technical problems a certain time ago with Ice Climbers, Sakurai also confirmed they were working on the Ice Climbers.
4) Sakurai said if there were cuts, the reason should not be technical issues.

So in my opinion the Ice Climbers are safe.

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Reasons for Ice Climbers being in SSB4:
1) Polar Bear is in Smash Run
2) Rosalina&Luma shows multiple characters acting. Same goes with Olimar and his 3 Pikmin. So after all there can't be much of a problem getting the Ice Climbers work. Of course they were having a problem, but since the statement of Sakurai there has been evidence these problems have been solved.
3) By confirming some technical problems a certain time ago with Ice Climbers, Sakurai also confirmed they were working on the Ice Climbers.
4) Sakurai said if there were cuts, the reason should not be technical issues.

So in my opinion the Ice Climbers are safe.
I agree with all of this. IC's will definitely be staying.

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I agree, hopefully that's what Sakurai is referring to about "3DS limitation"

The A.I. shouldn't be dumb enough by depending on player's commands but rather do act "copycat" of its character. By "copycat" I mean if primary character used different move, just as player commanded, secondary wouldn't listen to player's grab command if the primary's move isn't over yet.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
A little evidence for Ice Climbers is Kirby's custom moveset. Instead of suck, Kirby breathes out ice. The animation is identical to IC's down b in brawl. The animation was probably created IC then borrowed for Kirby's custom moveset.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
A little evidence for Ice Climbers is Kirby's custom moveset. Instead of suck, Kirby breathes out ice. The animation is identical to IC's down b in brawl. The animation was probably created IC then borrowed for Kirby's custom moveset.
Just because Kirby breathes out ice doesn't mean it hurts the IC's chances of returning.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
He said the move being there helps their chances of coming back since the animation is roughly the same as the Ice Climbers' down-B.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Just because Kirby breathes out ice doesn't mean it hurts the IC's chances of returning.
No no my post was in favor of ICs. In Brawl Mario's flood move was borrowed for Squirtle. I was theorizing ICs down b was borrowed for Kirby. Thus confirming ICs.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
No no my post was in favor of ICs. In Brawl Mario's flood move was borrowed for Squirtle. I was theorizing ICs down b was borrowed for Kirby. Thus confirming ICs.
Oh. My apologies. I couldn't understand at first. But regardless, I'm glad it helps the IC's chances of coming back.

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well this Thursday is the release of NES remix 1+2 in JP so hopefully we might see Ice Climbers that day ^^

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Let's also not forget the whiteboard sketch with Meta Knight and Mr. Game & Watch on it too.

We've got six given characters right now. The Climbers aren't getting cut, no doubt about it.
Rosalina and Luma work a whole lot differently than Popo and Nana do. There's no way their unique tag team mechanics will be seen as too similar. They work pretty differently.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I don't necessarily see the correlation; however, if it was relevant, I would find that the move being imputed to Kirby is actually evidence against Ice Climbers as it was transferred to another character in order to retain it.

I want the Ice Climbers to come back; but objectively speaking, they are the only characters that Sakurai outright stated he was having difficulty with. In that event, I wouldn't mind their omission. It is a justifiable cut if they are difficult to work with; the same scenario as Pokemon Trainer... who was cut....

D

Deleted member

Only thing that correlates to the Ice Climbers is the Polar Bear.

Which, frankly, is a much more reasonable connection than "Kirby can be customized with an ice breathing move".

Morbi

Scavenger
Only thing that correlates to the Ice Climbers is the Polar Bear.

Which, frankly, is a much more reasonable connection than "Kirby can be customized with an ice breathing move".
Precisely, the one thing that bothers me? It is a 3DS exclusive game-mode that features generic enemies from Nintendo's history (and Ice Climbers are a big part of that, solely based on their inclusion in Smash). I will admit that it is relevant, but I don't necessarily find it definitive.

D

Deleted member

Precisely, the one thing that bothers me? It is a 3DS exclusive game-mode that features generic enemies from Nintendo's history (and Ice Climbers are a big part of that, solely based on their inclusion in Smash). I will admit that it is relevant, but I don't necessarily find it definitive.
To be fair, enemies only show up from playable franchises from what we see so far, aside from the SSE, which is Smash original. Though it could be stretched that R.O.B. represents that as much as he does the Robot series, since he was by definition the "Subspace Emissary".

Morbi

Scavenger
To be fair, enemies only show up from playable franchises from what we see so far, aside from the SSE, which is Smash original. Though it could be stretched that R.O.B. represents that as much as he does the Robot series, since he was by definition the "Subspace Emissary".
I wasn't aware of that, thank you for the clarification. I suppose I am less pessimistic in regards to their inclusion. There is still the chance that he couldn't make them work, despite his best efforts. But it would be odd to reveal the Polar Bears in that event.

D

Deleted member

I wasn't aware of that, thank you for the clarification. I suppose I am less pessimistic in regards to their inclusion. There is still the chance that he couldn't make them work, despite his best efforts. But it would be odd to reveal the Polar Bears in that event.
I feel if he could make RosaLuma work, he could make Ice Grabbers work too.
Or worst comes to worst, he changes how they work like he did with Olimar. Perhaps to instead of a "control one with an AI following your movements", you literally control both at the same time, and they alternate strikes, sort of like Billy and Mandy in the (questionable quality) Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion clone of Smash.
But I don't expect them to be outright cut.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel if he could make RosaLuma work, he could make Ice Grabbers work too.
Or worst comes to worst, he changes how they work like he did with Olimar. Perhaps to instead of a "control one with an AI following your movements", you literally control both at the same time, and they alternate strikes, sort of like Billy and Mandy in the (questionable quality) Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion clone of Smash.
But I don't expect them to be outright cut.
Same; maybe he could even make Nana (or Popo if using the alternate) 30 frames per second, similar to the assist trophies. I am not entirely sure if it would drastically help though.

D

Deleted member

Same; maybe he could even make Nana (or Popo if using the alternate) 30 frames per second, similar to the assist trophies. I am not entirely sure if it would drastically help though.
I don't think it would. And even then, that's specifically for the 3DS version, right?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well, we got 5 characters 2 weeks ago. So I guess we should wait and see what happens, but there's a perfect chance to reveal IC this Thursday. If not Thursday, we'll get them at E3 probably. But hey, I'll keep low expectations. We may not get them.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't necessarily see the correlation; however, if it was relevant, I would find that the move being imputed to Kirby is actually evidence against Ice Climbers as it was transferred to another character in order to retain it.

I want the Ice Climbers to come back; but objectively speaking, they are the only characters that Sakurai outright stated he was having difficulty with. In that event, I wouldn't mind their omission. It is a justifiable cut if they are difficult to work with; the same scenario as Pokemon Trainer... who was cut....
Pokemon Trainer is a whole different story. He switches out 3 Pokemon.

And I can tell that they've fixed the problem with Ice Climbers in the 3DS version, since Rosalina and Olimar are in the game, making their appearance a given.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Well this Thursday is the release of NES remix 1+2 in JP so hopefully we might see Ice Climbers that day ^^
I dunno, it seems like characters are almost never revealed on specific dates like that. That'd be great though.

Last edited:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I dunno...I've come not to expect any reveals on specific dates. People always mention stuff like that it and it pretty never happens. :V

I dunno, it seems like characters are almost never revealed on specific dates like that. That'd be great though.
Well, the only exception for reveals on specific dates is a reveal in relation with a game(retail) release. This has happened multiple times for SSB4 already. However anniversary-bound reveals are pretty unlikely. We only saw Lucario for Brawl's anniversary in the past and that's it. However Olimar, Zelda, King Dedede and Diddy are only few examples for reveals on game releases. There are even more, so if we were to trust in any rule, it would be the one bound to the game releases, especially the japanese ones.

Top Bottom