• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Laniv

Smash Champion
So Ice Climbers are all but confirmed. All we need is the update.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Pretty much. Plus Sakurai indirectly leaking them when he talked about the 3DS having problems with characters like them.So they are, and they're not, confirmed.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
We might have to wait for E3. Which is only in a few weeks people, remember! :p They don't have to be revealed exactly this moment, you can wait...

Xigger

Smash Lord
I'm not the only one who thinks that the Ice Climbers would be one of the more plausible DLC characters, am I? Out of the setbacks we've seen for characters, (Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, Zelda/Sheik, Samus/ZSS) Ice Climbers would be changed much more drastically than any other characters, and DLC sounds like it would give them a better chance of being unchanged.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the only one who thinks that the Ice Climbers would be one of the more plausible DLC characters, am I? Out of the setbacks we've seen for characters, (Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, Zelda/Sheik, Samus/ZSS) Ice Climbers would be changed much more drastically than any other characters, and DLC sounds like it would give them a better chance of being unchanged.
Apparently, you are the only one who thinks that. Just because they would need to be changed drastically doesn't mean they'll be DLC due to setbacks.

Morbi

Scavenger
Apparently, you are the only one who thinks that. Just because they would need to be changed drastically doesn't mean they'll be DLC due to setbacks.
I actually do agree with him. The other characters have had reasonable changes, but I can't really see a reasonable change for the Ice Climbers that wouldn't drastically alter them. I am not asserting that they are going to be cut, I am just saying that in the event of a cut, they would be the most plausible DLC characters.

Xigger

Smash Lord
@ Dynamo68 Dynamo68 I mean that if they were DLC characters, they would have a greater chance of remaining unchanged due to more development time post-release.

Looking at Olimar's reduction and transformation removals, I could see Ice Climbers being changed to a more static duo with Nana never leaving Popo's side and not being her own CPU character.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
@ Dynamo68 Dynamo68 I mean that if they were DLC characters, they would have a greater chance of remaining unchanged due to more development time post-release.

Looking at Olimar's reduction and transformation removals, I could see Ice Climbers being changed to a more static duo with Nana never leaving Popo's side and not being her own CPU character.
I see what ya mean. I wasn't trying to make an argument about it. I was just saying. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Xigger

Smash Lord
On a different note, what WOULD we expect from a downgraded Ice Climbers?

Again, I'd expect a more static Nana, rather than one that can move around by herself. As if she stayed by Popo's side at all times.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't believe we will ever see DLC characters in Smash 4. I already made a couple posts on the topic in - I think - the Mewtwo thread. But basically, it's just not realistic.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe we will ever see DLC characters in Smash 4. I already made a couple posts on the topic in - I think - the Mewtwo thread. But basically, it's just not realistic.
Sakurai stated that he currently has no plans for DLC, but has not ruled out the possibility. He just wants to get both versions of the game finished first.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
[#ffffff]
Sakurai stated that he currently has no plans for DLC, but has not ruled out the possibility. He just wants to get both versions of the game finished first.[/COLOR]
Oh, absolutely. My view is just that DLC characters specifically are impossible or at least unfeasible. DLC anything else is probably fine, though.

If a character isn't fully or almost entirely coded, modeled, and tested for use in conjunction with all the stages and other characters by release of the 3DS version, it probably has as much of a chance of being in Smash 4 at any time at all as Plusle and Minun did in Brawl. No woulda-coulda-shoulda, just reality.

You can disagree with me, that's fine. But that's my stance.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
This isn't about whether we expect DLC or not: this is more about which characters would be the most likely DLC characters. Already assuming that there is DLC, for the sake of conversation

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
This isn't about whether we expect DLC or not: this is more about which characters would be the most likely DLC characters. Already assuming that there is DLC, for the sake of conversation
I get ya. Still, we can have a conversation about what it would be like to elect a Martian Moon Man as governor of Rhode Island, but it wouldn't be worth much since, y'know, it isn't happening.

But, uh, still, beside all that - because I don't know what Sakurai's and Nintendo's priorities are any more than anyone else does. Beside that, I am convinced that the Ice Climbers are going to be in the Smash 4 roster, no problem. The way they play might be a little different, but they'll be in there. So for that reason, too, I feel the DLC thing is kind of pointless.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
On a different note, what WOULD we expect from a downgraded Ice Climbers?

Again, I'd expect a more static Nana, rather than one that can move around by herself. As if she stayed by Popo's side at all times.
The trailers of Rosalina and Luma seem to suggest that Luma is a significantly less complicated "partner" then Nana has been previously, at least that is how it looks in my opinion. So I think a significant change is inevitable for the ice climbers.

I think the emphasis on new "alt" costumes in the game might be hinting that Popo and Nana are going to be separated and instead be alt costumes of each other, the character would probably be called "Ice Climber" to keep the naming convention. This might be necessary due to hardware limitations, plus since so many characters are getting altered move sets from previous games it isn't hard to imagine the Ice Climbers receiving new moves to make up for being separated.

We now have confirmation that both WFT and Villager have gender swapping "alts", it will be disappointing if the Ice Climbers are separated but it will be a far easier pill to swallow if they keep revealing more fan favorite "alt" costumes. The logic behind these alts seems to suggest that the character's "alt" has to maintain the same name as the original character, since Ice Climbers have never been called by there name in character selection the "alt" idea would meet this criteria (assuming the name thing is a criteria at all). I wouldn't be surprised if the concept of alt costumes was created entirely because the Ice Climbers have to be separated, and they may be revealing them slowly to curb the sting of a changed Ice Climber character.

Oh and First post! Yay!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Congrats on your first post @ Arthreeteseven Arthreeteseven ! A lot of fun to speculate. :b:

I think Sakurai is trying really hard to keep the Ice Climbers how they are so he doesn't upset fans. I am still expecting to see them soon, still betting on them being revealed.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Congrats on your first post @ Arthreeteseven Arthreeteseven ! A lot of fun to speculate. :b:

I think Sakurai is trying really hard to keep the Ice Climbers how they are so he doesn't upset fans. I am still expecting to see them soon, still betting on them being revealed.
Thanks!

I really hope they don't change the Ice Climbers I like them just the way they are in Melee/Brawl.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222

The trailers of Rosalina and Luma seem to suggest that Luma is a significantly less complicated "partner" then Nana has been previously, at least that is how it looks in my opinion. So I think a significant change is inevitable for the ice climbers.

I think the emphasis on new "alt" costumes in the game might be hinting that Popo and Nana are going to be separated and instead be alt costumes of each other, the character would probably be called "Ice Climber" to keep the naming convention. This might be necessary due to hardware limitations, plus since so many characters are getting altered move sets from previous games it isn't hard to imagine the Ice Climbers receiving new moves to make up for being separated.

We now have confirmation that both WFT and Villager have gender swapping "alts", it will be disappointing if the Ice Climbers are separated but it will be a far easier pill to swallow if they keep revealing more fan favorite "alt" costumes. The logic behind these alts seems to suggest that the character's "alt" has to maintain the same name as the original character, since Ice Climbers have never been called by there name in character selection the "alt" idea would meet this criteria (assuming the name thing is a criteria at all). I wouldn't be surprised if the concept of alt costumes was created entirely because the Ice Climbers have to be separated, and they may be revealing them slowly to curb the sting of a changed Ice Climber character.

Oh and First post! Yay!
There's no way the Ice Climbers can go through any changes without keeping with the duo deal that brought them to the dance in the first place. Alt costumes are out of the question.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Now that Villager has been confirmed to have an alternate costume (as well as Wii Fit Trainer), I'm really curious what the Ice Climbers alternate costumes will be. What do you guys think?

Xigger

Smash Lord
Welcome, @ Arthreeteseven Arthreeteseven . I would hate to see them separated, as that's why they stood out. I hope your analogy of the Lumas might carry over in one way or another. I could see Nana acting more like a Luma than a Nana. Like a basic version of Popo, instead of a second Popo.

Or maybe they can pull it off, who knows.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

Oh and First post! Yay!
I could see it going like that - simplified Nana, or seperating the Climbers into solo costumes. I could adapt to either, really. I hope they keep them as a pair, though. Maybe simplifying Nana wouldn't be so bad. What if Sakurai had Nana desynched by default? Keeps the authentic feel, but make Nana almost like a part of Popo's body.

Still, though, it's hard to picture in my mind how that would work out. I, like most people, would just prefer if they were able to have them come back more or less the same. The only issue seems to be the need for AI for Nana, since she needs to be able to strive to return to Popo if they become seperated.

Somehow linking their bodies with an invisible "tether" could be the trick. If Popo gets launched, so does Nana. But if Nana gets hit, does Popo take damage, too? All very complicated.

So many ways it could go. Hopefully ICs are one of the character reveals at E3!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So yeah, I definitely think we'll see them at E3, along with Wario (assuming he isn't revealed with Mario Kart 8's release).

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
They're coming back but hope they're not altered from what they were. I liked my duo since Melee and would love to keep them.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Now that Villager has been confirmed to have an alternate costume (as well as Wii Fit Trainer), I'm really curious what the Ice Climbers alternate costumes will be. What do you guys think?
I don't know about you, but I'd like to see them with their hoods down, or pink and blue swapped around so you can be pink Nana.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you, but I'd like to see them with their hoods down, or pink and blue swapped around so you can be pink Nana.
That would be awesome. It would also be cool (no pun intended) if one of their costumes was of them in 8-bit form (from Ice Climber on NES), but i doubt that'll happen.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
With the presence of the polar bear enemy in Smash Run, the Ice Climbers are pretty much 90% confirmed. For one, they've been in two Super Smash Bros. games consecutively, so they have more relevance than others and players have been given more chances to get used to them. Plus, no universes that previously had character representation in a Super Smash Bros. game have lost that representation in the shift from one game to the next. There's really nothing from the Ice Climber universe that Sakurai could replace them with, so I think it's a very safe bet that they're coming back.

D

Deleted member

One of their recolors should be pink and blue-ish, though the blue is lighter, the pink is brighter, and both the climber's hair is swapped to blonde, and Nana leads. (Reference to the boxart for Ice Climber)

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
With the presence of the polar bear enemy in Smash Run, the Ice Climbers are pretty much 90% confirmed. For one, they've been in two Super Smash Bros. games consecutively, so they have more relevance than others and players have been given more chances to get used to them. Plus, no universes that previously had character representation in a Super Smash Bros. game have lost that representation in the shift from one game to the next. There's really nothing from the Ice Climber universe that Sakurai could replace them with, so I think it's a very safe bet that they're coming back.
I agree with everything ya said there. I doubt the Ice Climbers will be leaving. Ever.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
i think rosalina & luma deconfirmed the ice climbers.
Rosalina & Luma and the Ice Climbers act completely differently in battle. Nana is just another Popo that has the exact same moves as he does and follows his every movement. Luma's attacks are completely different than Rosalina's and he is meant to be sent out and attack separately from Rosalina, rather than working together to deal more damage overall like the Ice Climbers.

Tenguman

Smash Rookie
Rosalina & Luma and the Ice Climbers act completely differently in battle. Nana is just another Popo that has the exact same moves as he does and follows his every movement. Luma's attacks are completely different than Rosalina's and he is meant to be sent out and attack separately from Rosalina, rather than working together to deal more damage overall like the Ice Climbers.
my theory is that sakurai didn't want the ice climbers in due to balancing (wobbling). so instead of trying to change nanas mechanics, he introduced a similar yet different character.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
I would it odd that the polar bear would be seen in a screenshot and that rogue POTD, but the Ice Climbers lose their play ability status. It would feel like removing Wario, but still having Ashley as an assist trophy.
I have every confidence my main is still in the game. :grin:

D

Deleted member

Balancing the Ice Climbers is easy. Just make Nana unable to grab or do anything while Popo is grabbing. Removes possibility for infinites. I don't play them, so I could be wrong, but they can't be that hard to balance.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Balancing the Ice Climbers is easy. Just make Nana unable to grab or do anything while Popo is grabbing. Removes possibility for infinites. I don't play them, so I could be wrong, but they can't be that hard to balance.
I secondary them, and I agree that disabling Nana when Popo is executing certain moves would indeed balance them.

Top Bottom