• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
I'll be really disappointed if they don't make it back, though the Polar Bear in Smash Run has me hopeful.
I don't main them but I think they're really fun to play and they're really unique in smash.. there's no reason for them to be cut. :icsmelee:

D

Deleted member

I havem and they're not lookin good for them.
You must be looking at the wrong tournaments. To point you in the right direction, let's look at Evo 2013.

2. Wobbles $1,731

Hm, second place at one of the biggest Smash tournaments to date? Not bad.

APEX 2014:
3rd ESAM$695.75
7th Vinnie$94.88
25th Nakat

Results. Want me to get more?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I havem and they're not lookin good for them. Anyways, they probably will be back, but I'm sure very many can agree with me that they won't be missed if they don't return.
Why are you so NEGATIVE?
Seriously, not only did you say this;
It's inevatable... Pac Man trailer... he's sooo terrible though! :joyful:
To poor Mr. Game & Watch, now THIS!?
Cut it out, bro! If you have nothing nice to say, DON'T SAY IT AT ALL.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I'll be really disappointed if they don't make it back, though the Polar Bear in Smash Run has me hopeful.
I don't main them but I think they're really fun to play and they're really unique in smash.. there's no reason for them to be cut. :icsmelee:
Don't worry. The Polar Bear does indicate they'll be back. I'm sure of that. Trust me. Just look at Samurai Goroh from F-Zero. He's returning as an Assist Trophy, which pretty much confirms Captain Falcon's return.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Especially since so far the only enemies that appear are from series with playable characters. Even the Subspace enemies have Mii Fighters as a Smash series fighter. :laugh:

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
Warning Received
Why are you so NEGATIVE?
Seriously, not only did you say this;

To poor Mr. Game & Watch, now THIS!?
Cut it out, bro! If you have nothing nice to say, DON'T SAY IT AT ALL.
Mainly because I have an actual opinion on them but I might as well not say it from what I heard about Ice Climber fans. They all take the slightest negative opinion on them, even worded in the nicest way and blows up at whoever says it.

You must be looking at the wrong tournaments. To point you in the right direction, let's look at Evo 2013.

2. Wobbles $1,731

Hm, second place at one of the biggest Smash tournaments to date? Not bad.

APEX 2014:
3rd ESAM$695.75
7th Vinnie$94.88
25th Nakat

Results. Want me to get more?
Apperently they spent a ton of time mastering them, good for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Mainly because I have an actual opinion on them but I might as well not say it from what I heard about Ice Climber fans. They all take the slightest negative opinion on them, even worded in the nicest way and blows up at whoever says it.
he's sooo terrible though! :joyful:
Are you positive about that.
Now since I don't wanna cause an Argument, I'll stay quiet as long as you do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People can have differing opinions. No need to make a scene of it, SmashRiver.

D

Deleted member

Not sure why you quoted me on that. :b:
You brought up him suggesting Game & Watch be cut. If anyone thinks Game & Watch should be cut, we just need to see if their ideal roster has a second Sonic character to confirm if the Miiverse invasion has begun. Standard protocol.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
You brought up him suggesting Game & Watch be cut. If anyone thinks Game & Watch should be cut, we just need to see if their ideal roster has a second Sonic character to confirm if the Miiverse invasion has begun. Standard protocol.
We should probably just ignore JohannFKNFaust. He's just being unreasonable.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I understand. But Miiverse invading?
I would not like that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Stay civil guys. Any more personal attacks and infractions will be handed out.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Here is something for Ice Climber fans
Gameplay of the Polar Bear. Sorry if its old.

Young$$$

The Sell Out Boy
NNID
PsyborgSSB
3DS FC
1891-1345-8774
I feel like Ice Climbers are the only guaranteed unlocked-from-the-start veterans left. I feel like Meta Knight and Wario have a chance to be hidden this time around.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
I'm calling it now, They're going to Reveal them with Dixie Kong with a Tropical Freeze themed Trailer.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Up until the polar bear turned, I was having a really hard time as I thought my three favourites might be gone. Sakurai said there were problems with the Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer is gone, and everyone hates R.O.B. apparently, so I was a bit upset. Who knew the seeing the polar bear would make me feel better?

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Up until the polar bear turned, I was having a really hard time as I thought my three favourites might be gone. Sakurai said there were problems with the Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer is gone, and everyone hates R.O.B. apparently, so I was a bit upset. Who knew the seeing the polar bear would make me feel better?
Yeah. I eagerly await to see the IC's fuzzy parkas in HD. They'll sure put King Dedede's robes and Donkey Kong's fur to shame.

I really wonder what there alternate costume would be.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Slightly off topic but if Ice Climbers get in I am looking forward to an enthusiastic pronunciation of their name, like in Melee.

Ice CLIMBERS!!

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Please.

Because hammers are lame.
THAT IS COOL (no pun intended)!!!

Also, what about them without their hoods on? Another good one would be their 8-bit appearance from Ice Climber. That may seem tough, but hey, Mr. Game & Watch the only flat character in the series, so who knows?

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Maybe with characters like Villager, Robin, and Wii Fit Trainer, Nintendo might just have a solo Climber with Nana as an alt for Popo since the game would be saying Ice Climber.

Just buff the power and tweak Belay to account for a solo Climber.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I hope not. That wouldn't only go against the character's origin (the Ice Climbers being an inseparable duo that combats obstacles and foes together) but that would also remove a lot of their appeal. A solo Ice Climber doesn't really offer anything interesting.

Either they're in together or they get cut together.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I hope not. That wouldn't only go against the character's origin (the Ice Climbers being an inseparable duo that combats obstacles and foes together) but that would also remove a lot of their appeal. A solo Ice Climber doesn't really offer anything interesting.

Either they're in together or they get cut together.
At this point, it is all about how the Ice Climbers function on the 3DS version. And I agree, splitting up the Ice Climbers takes away what makes them interesting.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Maybe with characters like Villager, Robin, and Wii Fit Trainer, Nintendo might just have a solo Climber with Nana as an alt for Popo since the game would be saying Ice Climber.

Just buff the power and tweak Belay to account for a solo Climber.
This seems a little pointless when you can play as Nana anyway. The duo is what makes them so unique, take it away and you remove what makes so interesting.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure the Ice Climbers are back. Seeing as there has been no mention of the problem not being solved, it's safe to assume the IC's are coming back.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Im pretty sure they are back somehow, I just want to know HOW they are going to be. Still a pair or an individual character (with the option to select the gender). I really hope they keep them as a pair, I really like playing with them like that and adapting to a new solo ice climbers might be a little too hard.

If they are kept as a pair, I would like to have the option to pick which ice climber is going to lead instead of having to choose the alt costume for that... I dont know I think it would be neat

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Me too, I mean if they aren't announced before the 3DS version, that means they are "secret characters" which would be strange because they've always been unlocked since melee

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I think that this time around the ice climbers will fight one at a time and be called "Ice climber" instead of ice climbers because of the hardware limitations of the 3ds. I really hope this is the case because i find the two at a time thing really annoying. I love using the ice climbers by themselves, I usually kill nana on purpose just so that I can use popo by himself. But anyways it would work! It could be like the wii fit trainer and the villager and robin, popo can be the male and nana can be the female, and they could be called ice climber. Just buff their attack power and change that awful belay recovery to the pterodactyl that they use to get on the stage. I've played their original game and nana only appears if you play multiplayer >:( I would be so happy if they put them by theirselves so that they won't overlap each other and look awkward on the stages! :D

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I think that this time around the ice climbers will fight one at a time and be called "Ice climber" instead of ice climbers because of the hardware limitations of the 3ds. I really hope this is the case because i find the two at a time thing really annoying. I love using the ice climbers by themselves, I usually kill nana on purpose just so that I can use popo by himself. But anyways it would work! It could be like the wii fit trainer and the villager and robin, popo can be the male and nana can be the female, and they could be called ice climber. Just buff their attack power and change that awful belay recovery to the pterodactyl that they use to get on the stage. I've played their original game and nana only appears if you play multiplayer >:( I would be so happy if they put them by theirselves so that they won't overlap each other and look awkward on the stages! :D
So far, there's been no announcement as to whether it'll be one Ice Climber, but that's never gonna happen. They've always been two characters in one, and will always be that way. Also, I've heard that Rosalina and Luma proved more difficult to work with, yet they're already in the game. So I'm sure the IC's will still be who they always are.

Top Bottom