• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The Ice Climbers will be shown tomorrow. You heard it here first!
I wish. :(

I really don't think the ICs are unlockable in this game. They're going to be revealed sooner or later this month, and it will either be just before or after the confirmation of a newcomer.

Weren't the Ice Climbers the last default veterans revealed before Brawl's release?

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
There is no reason to worry about Ice Climbers yet, it's not like the are the only starting veterans missing. Wario, Ness, Lucas and Meta Knight are all in the same situation. Remember we only saw Ike before E3 and Falcon a few weeks ago. I am convinced most of them will be shown via POTD or trailer before release.
:158:

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
There is no reason to worry about Ice Climbers yet, it's not like the are the only starting veterans missing. Wario, Ness, Lucas and Meta Knight are all in the same situation. Remember we only saw Ike before E3 and Falcon a few weeks ago. I am convinced most of them will be shown via POTD or trailer before release.
:158:
Well, don't forget Ganondorf. He's still not confirmed yet either.

I just really pray to God that the Ice Climbers get revealed this month.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I know it probably won't happen, but what would ya guys think if they got swimsuits for an alternate costume?

And what would be the size of the bellies? I personally think it'd be like this (especially Popo's).

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I know it probably won't happen, but what would ya guys think if they got swimsuits for an alternate costume?

And what would be the size of the bellies? I personally think it'd be like this (especially Popo's).

Never bring that up again.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
They're like children. Or chibi-fied adults. Why would anyone want to see them in their undergarments?
I said swimsuits, not underwear. Also, they're children. A part of me would really like to know what the size their bellies are. I speculate they're as fat as Bart Simpson (as seen above), especially Popo.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
The Polar Bear in Smash Run mode suggests that they'll be returning.
Why did ya have to copy and paste most of my previous reply and replace "proves" with "suggests"? The Polar Bear makes the IC's return pretty obvious. Heck, Ashley from the WarioWare series is an Assist Trophy, yet still no sign of Wario himself.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
if ic are not int ssb4, then why can the 3ds handle 3 pikmin+olimar and not popo+nana??

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Why did ya have to copy and paste most of my previous reply and replace "proves" with "suggests"? The Polar Bear makes the IC's return pretty obvious. Heck, Ashley from the WarioWare series is an Assist Trophy, yet still no sign of Wario himself.
Because I'm pedantic.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
While I'm sure the Ice Climbers will not be cut, I'm skeptical on whether they will return in the same fashion as they have previously. I know that Sakurai has stated in a previous interview that programming a tag-team character on the Nintendo 3DS would be difficult. While Rosalina and Olimar may suggest the issue has been resolved, Luma and the Pikmin are not as complicated as Nana.

What if they were to return as a singular character dubbed "Ice Climber"? No tag team. This would actually solve some competitive issues with them (chain-grabbing). Popo could be the standard default, while Nana could be an alternate skin. While I could see this happening, I don't really want it to. Part of the charm with the Ice Climbers was the fact that they were a team. Personally, I believe the Ice Climbers will return in the same fashion as before, but I'm being cautious.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
While I'm sure the Ice Climbers will not be cut, I'm skeptical on whether they will return in the same fashion as they have previously. I know that Sakurai has stated in a previous interview that programming a tag-team character on the Nintendo 3DS would be difficult. While Rosalina and Olimar may suggest the issue has been resolved, Luma and the Pikmin are not as complicated as Nana.

What if they were to return as a singular character dubbed "Ice Climber"? No tag team. This would actually solve some competitive issues with them (chain-grabbing). Popo could be the standard default, while Nana could be an alternate skin. While I could see this happening, I don't really want it to. Part of the charm with the Ice Climbers was the fact that they were a team. Personally, I believe the Ice Climbers will return in the same fashion as before, but I'm being cautious.
Honestly, it seems to me that the luma is actually more complicated than Nana. Admittedly I know nothing about programming and I've yet to play the game, but the luma has unique animations in conjunction with Rosalina's A and command based special moves, as well a differing health system (the luma does poof away when hit too much like in the trailer, right?). Nana on the other-hand is just a computer AI that tries to copy whatever Popo does, and has the same model and animations.

That's just my take on it. We will see how things turn out when they are revealed, as I'm 100% confident in their return. Also, hasn't there already been changes made to how grabs work that get in the way of being able to perform chain grabs? Something along the lines of grabs sending foes far and brief lag after throw (I don't know all the technical, and am trying to remember a small bit of info from a vast amount of stuff I've read so apologies if I'm incorrect).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just have a feeling they'll be the next veterans revealed, and probably the last ones through a PotD. Personally, I still think Lucas, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are cut, Wario would be shown in the Chorus Kids trailer like how Falcon appeared, and Meta Knight could make the jump to unlockable, leaving the Climbers as the last PotD veteran prior to release.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I just have a feeling they'll be the next veterans revealed, and probably the last ones through a PotD. Personally, I still think Lucas, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are cut, Wario would be shown in the Chorus Kids trailer like how Falcon appeared, and Meta Knight could make the jump to unlockable, leaving the Climbers as the last PotD veteran prior to release.
That definitely sounds plausible. Ice Climbers must be revealed this month, along with the others you mentioned. Also, besides Lucas, Squirtle and Ivysaur, I think Snake isn't coming back either.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That definitely sounds plausible. I Ice Climbers must be revealed this month, along with the others you mentioned. Also, besides Lucas, Squirtle and Ivysaur, I think Snake isn't coming back either.
I meant just out of the starters. Snake's an unlockable. :p

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I meant just out of the starters. Snake's an unlockable. :p
Oh, at first I thought you meant in general.

Outside of that, what do ya think their alternate costumes should be? One I mentioned was of them without their hoods on.

Also, I know it may not happen, but what would ya guys think if they got swimsuits for an alternate costume? And what would be the size of the bellies? I personally think it'd be like this (especially Popo's).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I say hoodless or NES cover versions.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
This time around I'd like to believe that Sakurai is only cutting characters for very good reasons, and that he wont just get rid of them because he feels like it. He's stated that he knows every character has its own fanbase, and is trying to make sure he cuts as least as possible.

For example
Squirtle/Ivy/Pokemon Trainer - Most likely cut due to the cut of the transformation gimmick, the spot was given to Charizard instead.

Snake - Most likely cut for being a 3rd party. Things didn't work out w/ Konami and it didn't happen.

Now, can we find any other incredibly good reason to cut any of the other characters?

Lucas/Wolf/Falco - They're clones (not really wolf) but that didn't stop Toon Link from coming back.
ROB - Nobody really liked him, but his moveset is fine and theres no reason to cut him
Jigglypuff - People consider her unpopular and irrelevant, but theres nothing making it impossible for her to be in the game.

Do you see the connection I'm making here? I'm basically stating that I think the only chance a character can be cut this time around is if there is something that is making it IMPOSSIBLE for them to return.

So this is what makes me worry about the Ice Climbers in particular. Wasn't it stated somewhere that Sakurai was having trouble putting the Ice Climbers on the 3DS? I dunno, I mean imagine 4 Ice Climbers battling on the 3DS there could be problems with that.

Now, don't confuse me as Im not stating that the 3DS can't handle them as a solid fact, I actually don't know this but I've just heard rumors. But, if it was true, there would be your reason as to why they were cut. If the 3DS CAN handle them, then they should be back without a doubt.

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I say hoodless or NES cover versions.
Yeah. And what are your thoughts on the swimsuit alt. costume? I know it won't happen, but remember, "Christmas in July".

Also, what do ya think of Popo's belly being as big as Bart Simpson's in the pic above?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I doubt swimsuit DLC is happening now that Chrom's not playable in a Smash game.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I doubt swimsuit DLC is happening now that Chrom's not playable in a Smash game.
What does Chrom not being playable have to do with swimsuit DLC? I don't get it. And how do you imagine the size of the IC's bellies? Slender or fat?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It was a joke referencing Awakening's swimsuit DLC. :p

And I'm not sure why that second question matters.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
It was a joke referencing Awakening's swimsuit DLC. :p

And I'm not sure why that second question matters.
Well, I've always been curious as to whether they're slender or fat. Something tells me it might be the latter, due to how puffy their parkas are. What do you think?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, I've always been curious as to whether they're slender or fat. Something tells me it might be the latter, due to how puffy their parkas are. What do you think?
Kind of an odd thing to be curious over. Though, based on their vegetable diet, I'd think they're more lean, but muscular, as they need to survive the arctic conditions and swing heavy mallets.

Which begs the question of how they got that strong considering their age, haha

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Kind of an odd thing to be curious over. Though, based on their vegetable diet, I'd think they're more lean, but muscular, as they need to survive the arctic conditions and swing heavy mallets.

Which begs the question of how they got that strong considering their age, haha
But something tells me they look fat. Popo, for example, would seem to have the same belly fat as Bart Simpson.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still not sure why it matters. They're children. Why look at them in that way anyway?

Anyway, I'm really wondering what they'll do as a stage this time.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
On the subject of the timing of Ice Climber's confirmation, like many others I expect that they will be part of the starting roster as per usual and as such I expect they'll be revealed before the game releases. Someone mentioned them possibly being the last 'Pic of the Day' revealed veteran (as we may get more through a newcomer trailer or Nintendo Direct) and I see this as the most likely circumstance.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of the timing of Ice Climber's confirmation, like many others I expect that they will be part of the starting roster as per usual and as such I expect they'll be revealed before the game releases. Someone mentioned them possibly being the last 'Pic of the Day' revealed veteran (as we may get more through a newcomer trailer or Nintendo Direct) and I see this as the most likely circumstance.
That does seem likely. We shall see.

BTW, where's proof of them possibly being the last revealed veteran?
I think its their coats that make them look fat.
Yeah. But could they be fat under their coats?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That does seem likely. We shall see.

BTW, where's proof of them possibly being the last revealed veteran?
?
I mentioned them being possibly the last PotD veteran reveal above, considering Lucas, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are likely gone, Meta Knight may be unlockable now, Ness would likely be unlockable now, and Wario would likely be shown in the Chorus Kids trailer a la Falcon.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I mentioned them being possibly the last PotD veteran reveal above, considering Lucas, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are likely gone, Meta Knight may be unlockable now, Ness would likely be unlockable now, and Wario would likely be shown in the Chorus Kids trailer a la Falcon.
So we can assume that we get the next veteran reveals this month or next month. What do you think?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It depends when the Direct is.

Basically, I'm thinking August will consist of the Ice Climbers' PotD reveal, and a Chorus Kids trailer with Wario (or possibly Jigglypuff). Then I think we will get a final Smash Direct in early September, revealing possibly a few more veterans (like Game and Watch, Meta Knight, and Ness, perhaps) followed by the last prerelease newcomer trailer with Shulk (and maybe a ROB cameo as a nice reference).

And then anything else is post-release, like Falco, Wolf, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, and a DK newcomer.

So yeah, that's how I think the Ice Climbers fit into all of this.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
It depends when the Direct is.

Basically, I'm thinking August will consist of the Ice Climbers' PotD reveal, and a Chorus Kids trailer with Wario (or possibly Jigglypuff). Then I think we will get a final Smash Direct in early September, revealing possibly a few more veterans (like Game and Watch, Meta Knight, and Ness, perhaps) followed by the last prerelease newcomer trailer with Shulk (and maybe a ROB cameo as a nice reference).

And then anything else is post-release, like Falco, Wolf, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, and a DK newcomer.

So yeah, that's how I think the Ice Climbers fit into all of this.
I hope it'll be this month. I feel like I'm gonna have a panic attack if the IC's don't get revealed soon.

People are also saying that the next trailer could also potentially be the Ice Climber's revealed alongside Ridley (new character), along with a few other veterans. Reason for Ridley is because today is the Metroid franchise's 30th anniversary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom