• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
So far, there's been no announcement as to whether it'll be one Ice Climber, but that's never gonna happen. They've always been two characters in one, and will always be that way. Also, I've heard that Rosalina and Luma proved more difficult to work with, yet they're already in the game. So I'm sure the IC's will still be who they always are.
I'm not quite sure about that. Lumas don't have their own "free will" when you throw them away, they attack with Rosalina, unlike Nana who can do different attacks than Popo if they are separated. Lumas also don't recover by themselves, Rosalina has to call them while Nana does. Nana has AI, Lumas don't. So I think Ice climbers could be more complicated.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I'm not quite sure about that. Lumas don't have their own "free will" when you throw them away, they attack with Rosalina, unlike Nana who can do different attacks than Popo if they are separated. Lumas also don't recover by themselves, Rosalina has to call them while Nana does. Nana has AI, Lumas don't. So I think Ice climbers could be more complicated.
Well, outside of the technical thing, the Polar Bear (in Smash Run) is proof that the Ice Climbers will be back. If they weren't, then what would be the point of putting the Polar Bear in the game in the first place?

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Well, outside of the technical thing, the Polar Bear (in Smash Run) is proof that the Ice Climbers will be back. If they weren't, then what would be the point of putting the Polar Bear in the game in the first place?
Yeah I'm not saying they aren't back, they are. The thing is we are not sure if they are coming back together as a pair or if its going to be just 1 ice climber.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I really hope they come back, well by now i'm sure, and if nana and popo are together again, then I hope that you don't have to be dependent on the other ice climber for recovery (belay isn't that bad but it could be better), in other words I hope that the ice climber you are controlling can be less dependent on the other ice climber like rosalina. But anyways when they come back I hope they come back as one, sakurai doesn't seem to be afraid to really change characters in this game(like olimar with 3 pikmin and zelda and sheik separated)

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I really hope they come back, well by now i'm sure, and if nana and popo are together again, then I hope that you don't have to be dependent on the other ice climber for recovery (belay isn't that bad but it could be better), in other words I hope that the ice climber you are controlling can be less dependent on the other ice climber like rosalina. But anyways when they come back I hope they come back as one, sakurai doesn't seem to be afraid to really change characters in this game(like olimar with 3 pikmin and zelda and sheik separated)
We should be getting another character announcement in August, so I think that should be the time they get revealed.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
So, I was playing as the ice climbers on brawl earlier, and I remembered that they hadn't been announced for smash 4 yet, and that sakurai was having trouble with putting two at a time on the 3ds. I'm now wondering if they will be changed to a single character(and be called Ice Climber) and have gender costumes like Robin, Wii fit trainer, and Villager. I personally would love this because I usually kill nana on purpose anyways and then fight as popo alone, what do you guys think about this idea?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
No. I feel like in order to be iconic they must be paired together.

An Ice Climber on their own is not deserving of being in smash.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
That would arguably rob them of their uniqueness.
yeah that is true, they are the only ones who have two full characters in one, and some moves require both to be there for them to work properly. But do you think this would be possible when considering what happened to zelda and sheik? They were separated even though they've been together since melee.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
yeah that is true, they are the only ones who have two full characters in one, and some moves require both to be there for them to work properly. But do you think this would be possible when considering what happened to zelda and sheik? They were separated even though they've been together since melee.
It's not the same kind of together though. Zelda and Shiek are never actually together, they don't fight side by side (well, outside of team battles...) and they don't need to.

Ice Climbers are all about teamwork. It would be ridiculous seeing them on their own.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Exactly. Besides, Rosalina & Luma are probably even more a character that has two full characters in one, since Popo and Nana pretty much move exactly the same, whereas Luma has an entirely different set of attacks/animations and physics seperate from Rosalina (for obvious reasons). If they manage to get THAT to work then the Ice Climbers really aren't much of a long shot.
( I'd add Pikmin & Olimar into the debate too, but I believe that (in Brawl anyway) the Pikmin are internally more referred to as weapons/projectiles designated for Olimar to use rather than having actual character properties like Luma does. )

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Wow it seems like most everyone is in favor of keeping the ice climbers the same! :smash: Only one vote for change and 11 votes for keeping the same. I was going to bring up the argument that in the original game ice climber, you can only use one ice climber at a time, but that doesn't seem to affect Rosalina's case, where she is by herself most of the time(except for mkwii) but she still has luma at her side. Maybe they could give us an option to use one or two, hmm. . .

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I think I would play as a solitary Ice Climber more that I do them as a pair.
...But I can't ask for that--it's who they are. Who will Popo belay with during a recovery? Who I ask? Who!? ;)

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Is there a source on Sakurai saying Ice Climbers duality is problematic for the 3DS version? I keep hearing he said something like that.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Is there a source on Sakurai saying Ice Climbers duality is problematic for the 3DS version? I keep hearing he said something like that.
Here you go: this is where I found it http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2

I think I would play as a solitary Ice Climber more that I do them as a pair.
...But I can't ask for that--it's who they are. Who will Popo belay with during a recovery? Who I ask? Who!? ;)
Instead of belay, I was thinking of using the pterodactyl as a new b-up move, I think it would be cool :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Wow it seems like most everyone is in favor of keeping the ice climbers the same! :smash: Only one vote for change and 11 votes for keeping the same. I was going to bring up the argument that in the original game ice climber, you can only use one ice climber at a time, but that doesn't seem to affect Rosalina's case, where she is by herself most of the time(except for mkwii) but she still has luma at her side. Maybe they could give us an option to use one or two, hmm. . .
I agree that they should be kept the same. I don't want their uniqueness robbed entirely.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
no problemo :b:, oh and I LOVE Geno, I hope people still think he's relevant, I haven't seen him in a wishlist since people were making lists for who they wanted in brawl!
Oh bless you.

The Geno fans aren't as vehement as they used to be, but I hope all the outcry back in the Brawl days caught Sakurai's attention enough to consider him this time around!

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that would also be cool! They did it with little mac, and Lucina seems to have something similar, in some pictures I saw her with her mask on.
Yep. Another good one would be of them in their old 8-bit appearance, though I kinda doubt it. But hey, who knows. Mr. Game & Watch is a flat character in Smash Bros, so the possibility always remains.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Yep. Another good one would be of them in their old 8-bit appearance, though I kinda doubt it. But hey, who knows. Mr. Game & Watch is a flat character in Smash Bros, so the possibility always remains.
I like this idea!

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I like this idea!
Well, I'm glad ya do. What do ya like about it?

Also, ironically, when I was talking about ideas for alt. costumes for the IC's with my therapist, she said that one of their alternate costumes should be of them in swimsuits. Then this strange image came to my mind. What do ya think? Not saying it'll happen, but how would ya feel if it did?

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm glad ya do. What do ya like about it?

Also, ironically, when I was talking about ideas for alt. costumes for the IC's with my therapist, she said that one of their alternate costumes should be of them in swimsuits. Then this strange image came to my mind. What do ya think? Not saying it'll happen, but how would ya feel if it did?
I think that would be strange, but who knows, maybe everyone will get summer outfits lol. I've thought about that before, but with other characters.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I think that would be strange, but who knows, maybe everyone will get summer outfits lol. I've thought about that before, but with other characters.
Yeah. But then again, Christmas in July.

Also, if the swimsuit outfit for the IC's were to happen (which probably won't), what would the size of their bellies be? I know it's a strange question, but still, just out of curiosity.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
You know what? I support a single Ice Climber. The more I think about it, the more I think I'd prefer to, for instance, play as Popo without worrying where Nana is and what would happen if she were defeated. I don't play as them often as I thought I would back when Melee was released, and I think it's because of that rubber band mechanic.

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
You know what? I support a single Ice Climber. The more I think about it, the more I think I'd prefer to, for instance, play as Popo without worrying where Nana is and what would happen if she were defeated. I don't play as them often as I thought I would back when Melee was released, and I think it's because of that rubber band mechanic.
Yeah me too! I love the way they fight, but I find myself annoyed by nana constantly following me and me dying when she's not there(because of belay), not to mention that they look kind of awkward when they overlap each other, which happens often. Rosalina is different, she doesn't need luma for recovery, luma is a good distance from her so they don't overlap, and luma can be summoned again if defeated, really he's more of a weapon unlike nana who is half of your strength.
Yeah. But then again, Christmas in July.

Also, if the swimsuit outfit for the IC's were to happen (which probably won't), what would the size of their bellies be? I know it's a strange question, but still, just out of curiosity.
I think they would have slightly poofy bellies, not exactly fat but getting there lol,
or they would look like this. . . . . .

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Yeah me too! I love the way they fight, but I find myself annoyed by nana constantly following me and me dying when she's not there(because of belay), not to mention that they look kind of awkward when they overlap each other, which happens often. Rosalina is different, she doesn't need luma for recovery, luma is a good distance from her so they don't overlap, and luma can be summoned again if defeated, really he's more of a weapon unlike nana who is half of your strength.

I think they would have slightly poofy bellies, not exactly fat but getting there lol,
or they would look like this. . . . . .
No. Just no. I prefer them having belly fat, kind of like Bart Simpson. And would they have bellybuttons? Kind of a strange question on my part. Hehehe.

Their bellies (especially Popo's) would be like this.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
For alternative costume ideas for the Ice Climbers, provided they get any, the hoods down costume and blonde haired costume seems to be the most likely. That said, outfits based on the Game & Watch Climber game would be a pretty neat reference;

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
The Ice Climbers will be shown tomorrow. You heard it here first!
While I have had the suspicion that they'd be revealed before the release of the game given that they have been starting characters in the roster since their introduction, what makes you say that they'll be revealed today. I'll be jumping over the moon with joy if they are, but still... ah, matters not, let's just see if their revealed and make all of us in this thread joyous.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Why do ya think that?
While I have had the suspicion that they'd be revealed before the release of the game given that they have been starting characters in the roster since their introduction, what makes you say that they'll be revealed today. I'll be jumping over the moon with joy if they are, but still... ah, matters not, let's just see if their revealed and make all of us in this thread joyous.
Because why not? Seriously, I'm surprised that the fanbase never learns that you can never predict Sakurai, so that's why you always have to expect the unexpected with him. I mean, when they reveal various characters like Marth, Ike, Lucario, Yoshi, Rosalina, Greninja, and Pac-Man, did we really expect them to get revealed on the days they did reveal them? No. Did we know they were going to be in the game? For the most part, yeah. Why did they reveal them when they did? No real reason (Lucario was on Brawl's anniversary, but that really could've been any other character from that game).

The same logic could be applied to why I thought they would reveal the Ice Climbers, because no one would expect when they would reveal them. Plus, when else would they have showed them? They have no upcoming games, aside from NES Remix 1 + 2, which will release after Super Smash Bros. for 3DS IIRC. Plus, they didn't get revealed for NES Remix 1 or 2 when they came out separately, so in the end, that doesn't mean anything.

Ice Climbers could be revealed next week, next month, or even when the 3DS Smash game releases in Japan. My point is to never know what to expect on anything for Smash 4, and go wild with speculation because Sakurai is completely unpredictable. I don't even care for the Ice Climbers, but I decided to take a shot in the dark and guess anyway. They may have not been revealed today like I guessed, but they will certainly be revealed another day.

TL;DR
Because I want to predict Sakurai's actions. :happysheep:

Top Bottom