• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
Now I remember, when brawl was in devolment many leaks said that they with Mr G&W will be cut but no, now I think is the same story.
YEAH! and when everybody said that ness wasnt in brawl for Lucas... I wont forget that never, why always my mains !? ;3;

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
They have to return will be unfair for us (IC fans) that for limitation of 3DS they arent to be neither on WiiU
How true. It's not right to cut a character from BOTH versions because one version sucks.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm starting to believe ya guys. Now that I look back at those Brawl leaks that weren't true (such as the one where Mr. G&W would of been cut), I'm starting to feel confident that The IC's will be returning.

D

Deleted member

As long as we get them as DLC at the very least, I'm happy

(On a side note did we all change our avatars to Ice Climbers because Rob did so too? )

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I just can't see why Sakurai would mention having trouble with implementing them at E3 LAST year, if he hadn't already overcome the problems or was close to doing so. Unless Sakurai just conceded defeat and decided to, say, make Lucina playable instead of an alt to keep the Character selection screen looking nice.

If they are gone then maybe Wii U exclusive DLC. Or Wii U/New 3DS DLC.

But I think they will be back. RosaLuma works, so whatever the problem is must be with a specific move (recovery??), so they could easily just change that move.

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
the leaker said Ice Climber(no nana),Lucas & Wolf are back whit and addition whit marshal are unlockables.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
As long as we get them as DLC at the very least, I'm happy

(On a side note did we all change our avatars to Ice Climbers because Rob did so too? )
Hey, I started a movement! Nice!

This video.
OH MY GOD! THAT FLIPPING DOG WILL DIE A HORRIBLE, PAINFUL, EVERLASTING DEATH IF THE ICIES AREN'T IN THE GAME! Even if ICies are in the game, guess who they'll be destroying over and over again? This makes me feel worse about the ICies situation, but never shall I give up hope until Nintendo says their fate. NEVER! With the evidence we've gathered, it's only logical they return! We shall stun the world and become Smash 4's most unexpected return! And I will then tear apart the leak, bit by bit, until it's nothing but a tiny dot on my computer screen! And I'll continue destroying it until I don't know it's there, and I will continue destroying it after that until it dies that same horrible, painful, everlasting death that that stupid dog did! AND I'LL DO IT ALL FOR THE ICE CLIMBERS!

They're in this game. Late unlocks is all. There's just too much evidence to support that fact at this point.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
At this point I see the Wii U having more initial characters while the 3DS has those characters as DLC.

Would be a way to avoid the cross platform purchase (really would hate to have to buy the characters twice, once for each version)

Also a way to keep up the Hype for Smash Wii U after 3DS is out.

Sakurai could easily go back on them having the same roster. If they have DLC, then he can still have the same roster, technically.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
At this point I see the Wii U having more initial characters while the 3DS has those characters as DLC.

Would be a way to avoid the cross platform purchase (really would hate to have to buy the characters twice, once for each version)

Sakurai could easily go back on them having the same roster. If they have DLC, then he can still have the same roster, technically.
Please Sakurai, make it happen!

Lolzormatic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lolzormatic
3DS FC
3909-7512-5969
I think I'm starting to believe ya guys. Now that I look back at those Brawl leaks that weren't true (such as the one where Mr. G&W would of been cut), I'm starting to feel confident that The IC's will be returning.
Don't get your hopes up...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

This is very reasonable. DLC for Smash 3DS and all the characters that were going to be in for Wii U. Makes complete sense.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
We will all burn in the fire soon. Sakurai shall light the match and our tears will be the fuel.
What a debby downer. Seriously man, if you're not going to believe or do ANYTHING to support us, just GET OUTTA HERE!

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I still don't get it, the 3DS specs are slighty better than GameCube's. Yet it was able to handle the Ice Climbers (4 IC'ies on Fountain of Dreams slightly caused framerate drops) so why are they such a huge problem for the 3DS? Maybe it's because of the 3D effect, it causes framerate drop for them.

They should still be in the WIi U version, why cut them entirely from both just because one darned version has a few problems with them. Wii U should include characters that didn't work on the 3DS (IC'ies, Chorus Kids, etc)

"Sakurai has said many times both versions will have the same roster"

The man has changed his mind on several things during development (such as him wanting Smash 4 to have the same amount of characters as Brawl at first). And i'm sure he said that before he realised some characters wouldn't work properly on the 3DS. That said, Wii U version is coming out months later, on a more expensive and powerful hardware. It seems logical it'd include a bit more content, content that wasn't possible for the 3DS one. It should be the "Ultimate" version of this game (like Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom if you may) It won't be unfair to the 3DS users at all in my opinion.

I have my doubts now though, and i'm prepared for disappointment. But, we'll see what happens in the end.

Be strong, for Popo and Nana.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I still don't get it, the 3DS specs are slighty better than GameCube's. Yet it was able to handle the Ice Climbers (4 IC'ies on Fountain of Dreams slightly caused framerate drops) so why are they such a huge problem for the 3DS? Maybe it's because of the 3D effect, it causes framerate drop for them.

They should still be in the WIi U version, why cut them entirely from both just because one darned version has a few problems with them. Wii U should include characters that didn't work on the 3DS (IC'ies, Chorus Kids, etc)

The man has changed his mind on several things during development (such as him wanting Smash 4 to have the same amount of characters as Brawl at first). And i'm sure he said that before he realised some characters wouldn't work properly on the 3DS. That said, Wii U version is coming out months later, on a more expensive and powerful hardware. It seems logical it'd include a bit more content, content that wasn't possible for the 3DS one. It should be the "Ultimate" version of this game (like Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom if you may) It won't be unfair to the 3DS users at all in my opinion.

I have my doubts now though, and i'm prepared for disappointment. But, we'll see what happens in the end.

Yeah. Something tells me that some things have changed during development of SSB4.

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
It would be funny if Sakurai revamped them to be like Rosalina & Luma, Popo launching Nana to protect him... :joyful:

Off topic: Do you guys have an idea of how DH (Duck hunt) and CM (Chorus men) would work as team - up characters??

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Can't get much more true than this. By the way, that high-five of theirs would be the PERFECT artwork for them. That or their side taunt, with hammers crossing each other. God that'd be neat. I really have respect for these two, their friendship is just so inexplainable and they're always sticking together. Keep supporting the ICies! THEY'LL BE THERE!

It would be funny if Sakurai revamped them to be like Rosalina & Luma, Popo launching Nana to protect him... :joyful:

Off topic: Do you guys have an idea of how DH (Duck hunt) and CM (Chorus men) would work as team - up characters??
No I don't, because I would honestly rather they both go take a hike and get ran over by a semi truck driven by the ICies. I hate both of em, and the ICies are a much better fit for a team/dual character.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Can't get much more true than this. By the way, that high-five of theirs would be the PERFECT artwork for them. That or their side taunt, with hammers crossing each other. God that'd be neat. I really have respect for these two, their friendship is just so inexplainable and they're always sticking together. Keep supporting the ICies! THEY'LL BE THERE!

No I don't, because I would honestly rather they both go take a hike and get ran over by a semi truck driven by the ICies. I hate both of em, and the ICies are a much better fit for a team/dual character.
I definitely support them. They'll be back. I can tell.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is it bad that I found that video funny?
I like the Ice Climbers.
It is funny but it's sad too because

1. Ice Climbers (although I'm still convinced we're going to get them eventually)
2. The anime they're lampooning is Clannad which is a series that somehow manages to be even more depressing than Grave of the Fireflies.

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
Hey, if they make it to the final roster, then the ICies can, for me its moe difficult to code a character that is BOTH a dog and a flying duck that work together AND a set of THREE lil' Wii Fit Trainers that sing better than Nicki Minaj (OK, no) THAN a pair of fluffly twins that have been in the series for 13 years.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey, if they make it to the final roster, then the ICies can, for me its moe difficult to code a character that is BOTH a dog and a flying duck that work together AND a set of THREE lil' Wii Fit Trainers that sing better than Nicki Minaj (OK, no) THAN a pair of fluffly twins that have been in the series for 13 years.
But still, if they get in, they might be REPLACEMENTS for the ICies. In my opinion, they're better off where they came from, their own games. I really just hate the thought of them being in Smash Bros.

But getting back on subject, does anyone have any ideas for a new Final Smash (not saying their Brawl FS was bad, just trying to start conversation).

God, 10 people (7 users and 3 Guests) viewing this thread at once? I hope Sakurai knows that the ICies still have a major fan base, because if not and he excludes them from the game, we will riot.

Last edited:

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
But still, if they get in, they might be REPLACEMENTS for the ICies. In my opinion, they're better off where they came from, their own games. I really just hate the thought of them being in Smash Bros.

But getting back on subject, does anyone have any ideas for a new Final Smash (not saying their Brawl FS was bad, just trying to start conversation).

God, 10 people (7 users and 3 Guests) viewing this thread at once? I hope Sakurai knows that the ICies still have a major fan base, because if not and he excludes them from the game, we will riot.
Honestly, i would love to have them all <3. I really like team characters (and jigglypuff).

As for their FS... Monsters appear randomly to attack the foes AND fruits appear next to them.

Something like Peach + DDD

D

Deleted member

Probably just a couple buffs to the current one
A revive to the partner if dead and some form of increased mobility to take advantage of their FS, maybe increased traction on the ice burg for them

Madash

Smash Rookie
Something I've noticed is all Smash Run enemies are from the series of characters in the game... with 2 exceptions The Polar Bear from Ice climber and the ghosts from Rhythm Heaven. This is one piece of evidence I see in support of their return.

However it could just be ice climber instead of the duo since gender changing characters seems to be big, a few changes and it'd be fine except for the whole bit of them being inseperable. I won't go into detail of what I would like to see if it's just the one. If they do return as a team Nana should mimic the player better instead of having a second computer taking up processing who's unreliable. If so a move should be added that calls Nana back to your side like with the luma. It'd be cool if when Nana dies Popo has a little animation where he gets stronger for a few seconds. But cut the infinite chaingrab. Also fix the iceberg FS since it so often ko's seperates my ice climbers. le the ice climbers climb on the ice.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Hmm... What if the 3ds version has Ice Climber_, and the Wii U version has Ice ClimberS
The two games will still have the same characters, it eliminates the tech problems on the 3DS, as well as adding another selling point (sort of) for getting both versions.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Probably just a couple buffs to the current one
A revive to the partner if dead and some form of increased mobility to take advantage of their FS, maybe increased traction on the ice burg for them
Yes. They're called ICE CLIMBERS for a reason Nintendo, I would think they could climb a 10 foot chunk of ice...

Hmm... What if the 3ds version has Ice Climber_, and the Wii U version has Ice ClimberS
The two games will still have the same characters, it eliminates the tech problems on the 3DS, as well as adding another selling point (sort of) for getting both versions.
That would be reasonable. Make Nana an alternate costume on the 3DS and you're set!

Anyways, I think today's PoTD pretty much confirms the ICies fate. Either 1. The leak is fake 2. They're late unlocks or 3. They're not in the game unless they're DLC.

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
i bet the new 3ds can handle ice climbers
GOSH DARN NINTENDO WAS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A 3DS WITH DUAL CIRCLE PAD AND GIVE IT A MORE POWERFUL CPU IN 2012?????

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
i bet the new 3ds can handle ice climbers
GOSH DARN NINTENDO WAS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A 3DS WITH DUAL CIRCLE PAD AND GIVE IT A MORE POWERFUL CPU IN 2012?????
Yeah, you know. I actually wish they would delay Smash now, so they can take advantage of the new 3DS. It just seems like it was meant for Smash.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Since this is the Ice Climbers topic, I might as well post this here, don't get your hopes up from this though:
KEI
Ugh, I'm not on Miiverse and therefore can't view this page. What does it say?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The roster leak last week was revealed to be incomplete today by Sakurai himself so the Ice Climbers are still not completely out yet. We may not get answers until the Wii U release but we may have to play the waiting game for awhile...

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
If they end up being a WiiU or "new 3DS" exclusive, I'll be very disappointed. I only have a 3DS and I don't have the money to buy a WiiU or get a new 3DS. I don't want to get a downgraded roster, after all, especially since Sakurai promised the same roster and that's a pretty important thing when it comes to choosing which version to buy. I would rather have DLC than WiiU-exclusive. Of course, no IC at all is the worst case. I'm hoping for the best and I do have hope. I am no programmer and I cannot fathom why the 3DS wouldn't handle IC when the GC can, and cutting a two-time veteran would be unprecedented. Still, I'm prepared to face the worst.

Top Bottom