• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The roster leak last week was revealed to be incomplete today by Sakurai himself so the Ice Climbers are still not completely out yet. We may not get answers until the Wii U release but we may have to play the waiting game for awhile...
As long as my Retro Trio is there, I don't care how long I have to wait.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
The roster leak last week was revealed to be incomplete today by Sakurai himself so the Ice Climbers are still not completely out yet. We may not get answers until the Wii U release but we may have to play the waiting game for awhile...
Yup. All we have to do now is pray that Ice Climbers is one of the characters left.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Ugh, I'm not on Miiverse and therefore can't view this page. What does it say?
It's a Miiverse drawing of a damage indicator featuring the ICes, who are at 10% damage. Their name appears as "Ice Climber". Their portrait looks similar to their Brawl one, but flipped.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
If the tag-team thing is too hard to program in the 3DS version, I would want Popo as an individual character, with Nana as an alternate costume.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yup. All we have to do now is pray that Ice Climbers is one of the characters left.
They'll be there, no praying required. I'm still a bit worried, but I think they'll be back. No need to worry until the Wii U release date approaches. If they're still not confirmed, THAT's when we start petitions and riots and start worrying.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
The 3DS is supposedly more powerful than the GameCube. Cutting them makes no sense. The GC can handle 100 pikmin that can all do their own thing at once, 8 characters (4 ICes) to our knowledge, half of which are just copying whatever the other does, and generate particle, reflection and other special effects and still run without problems. 3DS should have no performance issues with ICes, especially with R&L and Duck Hunt Dog (supposedly) in. Cutting them for this reason is a blatant cop-out when the 3DS has equivalent specifications to the GameCube. While adding HD does put more work on the processor, there shouldn't be too much overhead. Even if that happens to affect things too much, reducing them to a single character is still an option over cutting them entirely.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
They'll be there, no praying required. I'm still a bit worried, but I think they'll be back. No need to worry until the Wii U release date approaches. If they're still not confirmed, THAT's when we start petitions and riots and start worrying.
You said it, man. I would be happy to have the IC's, Mr. G&W, and R.O.B. Speaking of which, R.O.B is one of my new mains. The others being the former two.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The 3DS is supposedly more powerful than the GameCube. Cutting them makes no sense. The GC can handle 100 pikmin that can all do their own thing at once, 8 characters (4 ICes) to our knowledge, half of which are just copying whatever the other does, and generate particle, reflection and other special effects and still run without problems. 3DS should have no performance issues with ICes, especially with R&L and Duck Hunt Dog (supposedly) in. Cutting them for this reason is a blatant cop-out when the 3DS has equivalent specifications to the GameCube. While adding HD does put more work on the processor, there shouldn't be too much overhead. Even if that happens to affect things too much, reducing them to a single character is still an option over cutting them entirely.
Too true. Also, great avatar change man.

You said it, man. I would be happy to have the IC's, Mr. G&W, and R.O.B. Speaking of which, R.O.B is one of my new mains. The others being the former two.
H-Hey! Glad to hear it. If I can get people interested in playing a character they haven't really done so with yet, I think that makes a huge difference in the Smash community. But I'm sure your R.O.B. can't beat my R.O.B., yet. As for the ICies...I still need to see that Retro Trailer with them, G&W, and R.O.B. in it. It's killing me to think it probably won't happen, since only newcomers and Sonic have gotten their own trailers thus far.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman

H-Hey! Glad to hear it. If I can get people interested in playing a character they haven't really done so with yet, I think that makes a huge difference in the Smash community. But I'm sure your R.O.B. can't beat my R.O.B., yet. As for the ICies...I still need to see that Retro Trailer with them, G&W, and R.O.B. in it. It's killing me to think it probably won't happen, since only newcomers and Sonic have gotten their own trailers thus far.
A Retro Trailer would be cool. Then again, we're getting close to the Japanese release of the 3DS version, which is a week from Saturday (Boy, time flies!).

D

Deleted member

A Retro Trailer would be cool. Then again, we're getting close to the Japanese release of the 3DS version, which is a week from Saturday (Boy, time flies!).
Actually, week from Friday. Remember time zones

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice

A Retro Trailer would work if they also introduced DHD with them as a newcomer, but I doubt it will happen, I think DHD is going to be a secret character but that trailer idea is good too.

My hopes are back for the IC to return (same with a RH rep) now that we know the leaker didn't have all the characters unlocked.
Although I find it kinda strange that the leaker unlocked all those characters but IC, I mean they are veterans so they would be among the first to be unlocked right? (Just how ROB, Wario and G&W are secrets but were unlocked on the leak). Why is the condition to unlock them higher than secret characters like Dark Pit, DHD and Bowser Jr? Regardless, Sakurai must know what he is doing.

D

Deleted member

My hopes are back for the IC to return (same with a RH rep) now that we know the leaker didn't have all the characters unlocked.
Although I find it kinda strange that the leaker unlocked all those characters but IC, I mean they are veterans so they would be among the first to be unlocked right? (Just how ROB, Wario and G&W are secrets but were unlocked on the leak). Why is the condition to unlock them higher than secret characters like Dark Pit, DHD and Bowser Jr? Regardless, Sakurai must know what he is doing.
I've said this a lot, but a similar thing happened in Brawl, with Jigglypuff who's usually a first unlock.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
A Retro Trailer would work if they also introduced DHD with them as a newcomer, but I doubt it will happen, I think DHD is going to be a secret character but that trailer idea is good too.

Maybe the leak is just toying with us, like I've suggested many times and have gotten people angry at me for saying so. Or perhaps they're just at the bottom of unlockables due to how much time it took to implement the ICies over other characters.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
edit: WHOOPS this is not the jigglypuff page my bad I got my tabs mixed up ignore this

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
They haven't even been confirmed out yet. Wait until the game actually releases in Japan.
Ya, when that happens, there will be TONS of leaks about the FULL roster...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't know why, but I've got the feeling that if the ICies are going to be confirmed, it's going to be sometime soon. I'm still confident they will be confirmed, but I'm thinking that's it'll be sooner rather than later.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm sure this has been said before, but could Ice Climbers be a Wii U exclusive character? Sakurai originally said the 3DS version would have different stages, but Boxing Ring, Guar Plains, and Wiley's Castle are on both systems. Could the Ice Climbers be on just the Wii U.

As a note, there is an interview where Sakurai said they are having trouble with the IC on the 3DS meaning they have been working on the character.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I'm sure this has been said before, but could Ice Climbers be a Wii U exclusive character? Sakurai originally said the 3DS version would have different stages, but Boxing Ring, Guar Plains, and Wiley's Castle are on both systems. Could the Ice Climbers be on just the Wii U.
Battlefield was confirmed for both version with the reveal trailer, I'm pretty sure he said mostly different (and if not he contradicted himself) I think the roster is too much of a selling point for Sakurai to go back on that so close to the release date. They're either in both, neither, or Wii U exclusive DLC (maybe coming to New 3DS). Taking into account DLC was not planned, and there has been no indication that has changed, and even so Sakurai may feel bound by his same roster content.

I still find it really weird that he would talk about problems with the ICies so early, but not outright confirm them as cut, if they were.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Battlefield was confirmed for both version with the reveal trailer, I'm pretty sure he said mostly different (and if not he contradicted himself) I think the roster is too much of a selling point for Sakurai to go back on that so close to the release date. They're either in both, neither, or Wii U exclusive DLC (maybe coming to New 3DS). Taking into account DLC was not planned, and there has been no indication that has changed, and even so Sakurai may feel bound by his same roster content.

I still find it really weird that he would talk about problems with the ICies so early, but not outright confirm them as cut, if they were.
The thing is, I don't think it would be smart to dump a character that works on one system and not the other when work has been done on that character in general. Maybe they'd be DLC, but I don't think they'd outright cut them for both versions.

I'll try and find the article if I get the change. It's on IGN.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman

As a note, there is an interview where Sakurai said they are having trouble with the IC on the 3DS meaning they have been working on the character.
Technically, he said they "were" having trouble with the IC's on the 3DS, meaning they could very well be in there.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Here's something I found that suggests that they are in, though likely with modifications.
The roster will have the same library of characters as the wii u version.
SOURCE: http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

Sakurai also stated that characters would have to be "reduced".

Theres already a thread in dismay over this interpreting what Sakurai said as confirmation that characters would be removed or the next smash would feature less characters than Brawl because the 3DS doesn't have enough memory.

I think what Sakurai meant was that they are going to change the Ice Climbers to a single Climber in the next game so that there is no lag on the 3DS version from 8 ice climbers fighting at once. I'm cool with this because it never made sense to control them both at the same time when they play solo in their actual game.

Similar reductions may happen to other characters if it could cause lag on the 3DS version, which is understandable but makes me disappointed that they have to work within 3DS boundaries on the Wii U version.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
So, if you guys saw the POTD pics today. We got more information about Smash Run, two new modes were confirmed "Run" and "Climb"

Who else thought of Ice Climbers when seeing the "Climb" mode? Could this be a hint?

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
So, if you guys saw the POTD pics today. We got more information about Smash Run, two new modes were confirmed "Run" and "Climb"

Who else thought of Ice Climbers when seeing the "Climb" mode? Could this be a hint?
I hope you're right about that.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

This is the thing, I don't get the mad dash to jump on the "they're cut" bandwagon.

A picture and video leak with proven details can show you what characters are in, but based on it's supposed origin, I really don't think they'd know who, if anyone, was cut. It's unlikely that the Ice Climbers would be locked that late in unlocking, but you really never know. Wolf, Snake and Lucas in particular though, being "confirmed cut" by not being in such screenshots does seem an odd call though. There are more than one text leak supposedly confirmed by details given so far, but many contradict eachother.

I don't know, seems likely they're cut, but you really never know, and there's no point being worked up over it quite yet.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

My first reaction to today's PoTD: SAKURAI, YOU TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE ME ICIES!

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Don't worry. I'm sure that could be a hint at the IC's return.
With what Sakurai has been doing lately with the recent MK troll a few weeks back, it'd better be a hint...

Top Bottom