• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

AlexLopezGt

Smash Rookie
Theywill back, Sakurai just say multiple characters but never IC, probabily he remember he mistake that day of say that and now want to make speculation about of them but everybody now they will be in!

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
Guys, guys, i just had a perfect idea!!

What about if they are, in fact, DLC, but you have to buy them with Smash coins?!

In that case, maybe the leaker didn't have them becouse they are to expensive (obviusly)

Puff~:jigglypuffmelee:

AlexLopezGt

Smash Rookie
Well I think and belive they will be in, it isnt a Gamecube or Wii, but Sakurai have 20 years programin also in an Interview he stated that he recreate everyone (I dobut only of Snake) just you have to Belive and know that they can work as Melee and not like Brawl...

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Well I think and belive they will be in, it isnt a Gamecube or Wii, but Sakurai have 20 years programin also in an Interview he stated that he recreate everyone (I dobut only of Snake) just you have to Belive and know that they can work as Melee and not like Brawl...
I agree with ya. I doubt Sakurai would cut them out. They're too unique to get rid of.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice

So you're saying that the Ice Climbers could very well be on the 3DS version?
Ehh. I mean, I think people are kind of overreacting and jumping to conclusions when they see Ice Climbers aren't on the leaked roster and then say they must have been cut due to technical limitations. It's important to note that in Brawl the characters that barely made the cut (Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Wolf) were the final three unlocks. I honestly don't think that the hardware is limiting enough, especially with the new 3DS coming out soon, that they would be removed entirely. I think they're just a late unlock since they may have taken longer to implement.

Also, the fact that they have always been starters is moot. "Historically" is a meaningless term when there are three games in the series. In this case it's only two games they were starters in. It looks like Wario is unlockable this judging by the eShop image, so there's no reason why Ice Climbers can't be either.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Ehh. I mean, I think people are kind of overreacting and jumping to conclusions when they see Ice Climbers aren't on the leaked roster and then say they must have been cut due to technical limitations. It's important to note that in Brawl the characters that barely made the cut (Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Wolf) were the final three unlocks. I honestly don't think that the hardware is limiting enough, especially with the new 3DS coming out soon, that they would be removed entirely. I think they're just a late unlock since they may have taken longer to implement.

Also, the fact that they have always been starters is moot. "Historically" is a meaningless term when there are three games in the series. In this case it's only two games they were starters in. It looks like Wario is unlockable this judging by the eShop image, so there's no reason why Ice Climbers can't be either.
You make a good point there.

AlexLopezGt

Smash Rookie
Just is question to believe cause many people outside hate them or dosent care but remember just because nobody believe we wont lose our feith, they will be back for thirth time and better than ever.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
nintendos handhelds are always slightly more powerful then the past generations console too
what i mean by this is the 3ds lands somewhere above a gamecube but not quite a wii
this is how nintendo keeps cost low on their handhelds, the 3ds as it is, is more powerful then the gamecube was and should be able to handle the icys

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
Just is question to believe cause many people outside hate them or dosent care but remember just because nobody believe we wont lose our feith, they will be back for thirth time and better than ever.
You are probably right, the only characters that have been cut have just appeared in one game (Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy, PK trainer), and IC's have appeared in both Melee and Brawl, also, even if they are cut, they would come back in another 4 - 6 years (Dr. Mario).

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
You are probably right, the only characters that have been cut have just appeared in one game (Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy, PK trainer), and IC's have appeared in both Melee and Brawl, also, even if they are cut, they would come back in another 4 - 6 years (Dr. Mario).
Puff~:040:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Currently, wanting the Ice Climbers back is my biggest hope of all. It's one I'm confident in, particularly after learning that said leaked roster hadn't unlocked all the characters, though I admit I've been a bit nervous about it the past couple of days.

So yeah, it might be an odd change but if said leak is accurate (which seems very likely at this point) then Ice Climbers will require unlocking in this SSB and won't be available from the start.

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
it's likely to be unlockable,all the reveladed characters are starters,characters like wario are unlockable why no IC too?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm losing hope for these guys, I'm really going to miss them if they are gone. I hope we at least get IC as DLC characters, maybe just for the wii u version who knows.
If they're not in the initial roster, no doubt they'll be there as DLC. But they're probably just late unlockables.

um everybodys know, or rather everyone should its been stated so many times that both consoles will have the same characters. but yeah i feel you its getting antsy not seeing them im still holding out but it would be nice to have confirmation

same ill be maining 5 peeps if that happens. ness, olimar, DHD, Icys, and CM. it would be the perfectest thing ever
Who's CM again?

Alright, so, I think that we need to face that the Ice Climbers are cut... from the 3DS version. I've been doing some thinking and I think that them and the Chorusmen will be Wii U exclusives. Why?

1. Both have the same problem. The 3DS supposedly can't handle characters that consist of, well, multiple characters. This is why Charizard is now alone and Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik have been split up into separate characters. With the Ice Climbers and the Chorusmen such a solution wasn't available because it would have taken away from what made them unique. This being said, it's likely that Sakurai simply decided to forgo them for the 3DS version.

2. Both Ice Climber and Rhythm Heaven have enemies in Smash Run in the form of the Polar Bear and the Sneaky Spirit. From everything we've seen so far, only franchises with playable characters have Smash Run enemies. Perhaps this was done to give them some sort of representation since they couldn't be in the 3DS version.

3. Gematsu only had one flaw and that may have been a case of mistaken identity. As a recap, it predicted trailers for Villager, Megaman, WFT, Little Mac, Miis, Pac-Man, a 6th Gen Pokemon, Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, and the Chorusmen. So far it's gotten 9 out of 11. Chrom was wrong but I give it the benefit of the doubt because the trailer was still Fire Emblem themed and introduced not one but two new Fire Emblem characters. That being said, Chorusmen is still left. I also think Sakurai would have noted that Shulk's trailer was the last one if it truly had been because, let's face it, the man likes to give credit where credit is due.

So, this all being said, we may have to wait a few more months but I do feel that we are going to see the Ice Climbers again.
Good points, but I don't think Sakurai is going to go back on the same roster rule. I could be wrong, and the ICies will be an exception if he does go back on this rule but I don't think that's going to happen. Just late unlocks, that's all.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Someone wake me up from this nightmare. Sakurai, just reveal the IC'ies fate in one of the 10 POTDS till game release. I can't take this torture anymore.

Sigh.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Someone wake me up from this nightmare. Sakurai, just reveal the IC'ies fate in one of the 10 POTDS till game release. I can't take this torture anymore.

Sigh.
Not gonna happen, we've seen what is likely the starting roster so no more reveals until release (except maybe Dark Pit or Dr. Mario since Lucina is secret).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Sigh.
Likely not going to happen, but DANG, you seem to have lost all hope, what with your avatar and the picture under your last post.

The ICies have got to be in this game. They're a legacy character in Smash now, and with all the new additions and returning veterans, it would just be wrong to cut them now. I mean, flipping TOON LINK is back, and the ICies aren't? That's just wrong. To cut a completely unique character and then keep a clone AND add one (I'm looking at you, Lucina)? That's just flat out wrong, no matter which way you look at it. Due to technical difficulties, the ICies may not have been finished as soon as they should have been, and that's why they came back late, but I'm sure they're in this. I mean, the 3DS is more powerful than the Game Cube, right? And in Melee you could have four people running around as the ICies, right? It only makes sense that they could come back for SSB4. It's also HIGHLY likely that someone from Japan is going to leak the FULL roster, and if so, THEN we'll know if the ICies are in the game, and they probably will be.

With that said, the ICies are all but confirmed (as late unlocks).

And to show my strong support for them to return, I'm changing my avatar to the ICies for a while, despite my username not including them. This is how sure I am that they're late unlocks.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I have a theory guys and I want to put my two cents here: At this point I believe We have seen the entire 3DS roster. No more slots. Meele roster has space for more characters but it does not have. But I also believe we are going to get a character reveal pos-Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr. and Doc. A character reveal after the entire 3DS roster be revealed.
Probably Chorus Kids, and along with this reveal the reveal of the Ice Climbers. Yes, I believe all the Melee veterans will return. Then the reveal of the remaining Brawl veterans bar the pokemon: Wolf, Snake and Lucas. They will be a surprise on disc DLC for the Wii U version. Free I mean.
This DLC will only be available for the New3DS, since the current one can't deal with Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids.

It would explain the Gematsu Leak, Polar Bear and Sneak Spirits on Smash Run, and the different time in the debuggin' process. The roster was decided in the very beginning of the development, Ice Climbers, Chrom and Chorus Kids were in that. Chrom would be generic then he was cut and replaced by Robin. Sakurai just couldn't make the other two characters work in 3DS version because of hardware limitations, then he decided to to cut them of the 3DS version, but not of the game. To fill the roster's holes, two alternate costumes were turned into actual characters, Lucina and Dr. Mario. Dark Pit was decided in the very beginning 'cause of Sakurai bias.

If you put a character in every white space in the official site, You'll get 45 characters. But we have 48 characters leaked, then we'll get 5 white spaces, these spaces are Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids, Wolf, Snake and Lucas. 54 characters final roster.

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
I have a theory guys and I want to put my two cents here: At this point I believe We have seen the entire 3DS roster. No more slots. Meele roster has space for more characters but it does not have. But I also believe we are going to get a character reveal pos-Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr. and Doc. A character reveal after the entire 3DS roster be revealed.
Probably Chorus Kids, and along with this reveal the reveal of the Ice Climbers. Yes, I believe all the Melee veterans will return. Then the reveal of the remaining Brawl veterans bar the pokemon: Wolf, Snake and Lucas. They will be a surprise on disc DLC for the Wii U version. Free I mean.
This DLC will only be available for the New3DS, since the current one can't deal with Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids.

It would explain the Gematsu Leak, Polar Bear and Sneak Spirits on Smash Run, and the different time in the debuggin' process. The roster was decided in the very beginning of the development, Ice Climbers, Chrom and Chorus Kids were in that. Chrom would be generic then he was cut and replaced by Robin. Sakurai just couldn't make the other two characters work in 3DS version because of hardware limitations, then he decided to to cut them of the 3DS version, but not of the game. To fill the roster's holes, two alternate costumes were turned into actual characters, Lucina and Dr. Mario. Dark Pit was decided in the very beginning 'cause of Sakurai bias.

If you put a character in every white space in the official site, You'll get 45 characters. But we have 48 characters leaked, then we'll get 5 white spaces, these spaces are Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids, Wolf, Snake and Lucas. 54 characters final roster.
I thought the same after the reveal of the New3DS, but the idea of a DLC for Smash doesn't fit with my expectatives.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
I posted this in the Chorus Kids thread, but here's someone who said they went to the Closed Media Panel at PAX.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/260805043

While it could be fake, but it does sound pretty convincing to me. Characters in the Leak are all the characters for release and they plan on Expanding the Smash Roster with DLC. High hopes since it mentions the Ice Climbers are top priority for DLC.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice

Chrom was never planned, and the only thing that "explains" the Gematsu leak is that it was BS.
The All-Star lock, Shulk's placement and the ridiculous amount of unnecessary cuts make me question the leak being the final roster.
Lucina wasn't brought in to replace a cut character.
And overall this entire theory rests on character DLC, going back on the same roster promise, and creating a big divide between not just the 3DS and the Wii U version but the new 3DS version as well.

All that said, it's still much more reasonable than the Trophy Theory.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
From Sakurai's post for the announce of Shulk: "He's not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series, but we worked really hard to make it happen." If they worked so hard to get Shulk in, who's a NEWCOMER, wouldn't they work even harder to preserve a TWO-TIME VETERAN?!?! Just a thought. Ever since this leak has popped up and it's been pointed out that not the full roster was shown due to All-Star being locked, there's just been more and more reason to say that the ICies are just late unlocks due to how long it took to develop them on the 3DS version. If they don't return just because the 3DS can't handle 4 ICies on screen (or, 8 I guess) I will be MAD. We can't have a character in because one version of the game can't handle it? Then it probably wasn't a good idea to make the game for a handheld, now was it?

But really, there's just so much evidence for them to come back. I can't really believe they've gotten the axe until Nintendo themselves confirm they're not there. Then it will be riot time.

mark welford

Smash Ace
From Sakurai's post for the announce of Shulk: "He's not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series, but we worked really hard to make it happen." If they worked so hard to get Shulk in, who's a NEWCOMER, wouldn't they work even harder to preserve a TWO-TIME VETERAN?!?! Just a thought. Ever since this leak has popped up and it's been pointed out that not the full roster was shown due to All-Star being locked, there's just been more and more reason to say that the ICies are just late unlocks due to how long it took to develop them on the 3DS version. If they don't return just because the 3DS can't handle 4 ICies on screen (or, 8 I guess) I will be MAD. We can't have a character in because one version of the game can't handle it? Then it probably wasn't a good idea to make the game for a handheld, now was it?

But really, there's just so much evidence for them to come back. I can't really believe they've gotten the axe until Nintendo themselves confirm they're not there. Then it will be riot time.
if this true we will flood sakurai's and NoA's twitter demanding for ICies and wolf until we get what we want

D

Deleted member

Same. The problems were with all similar characters, and since Olimar and Rosalina made it in, pretty confident that ICs would be at least DLC

infomon

Smash Scientist
I expect Ice Climbers are cut. And that's ok, we'll survive.

If they are ever DLC, it will have to be for both 3DS and WiiU, and will have to accommodate all 3DS systems not just the new ones. Otherwise you fragment the games and the online play.

We are not in a good position to argue that it is technically possible to make them work on 3DS. The dev team could have very good reasons why this is a challenge, and Ice Climbers would not be worth an enormous technical effort. New game additions like the fancy new characters and stage bosses would be more important from a business standpoint. Newcomers get hype, and help sell other games. Ice Climbers not so much, even though I love them.

I don't see any reason that "the all-star mode was locked" screenshot necessarily has anything to do with the leaked character-roster. These are screenshots/vids that were sent by Nintendo to the ESRB for rating, they aren't even necessarily from the same build. The menu was just an example of what the menu looks like. As for the character roster, it would make sense for them to send the whole thing so that the ESRB so they have the fullest idea of the game and can, say, request additional information about a character that looks suspicious from a ratings standpoint.

Anyway, keep hoping, but honestly smash4 is gonna be awesome even without my beloved nana and popo :(

D

Deleted member

What type of problem would prevent them from being implemented in anyways?
FPS? Gamecube had 60, and the 3DS is stronger than that a bit.
AI? I could see it, but isn't it basically a computer set to follow you and mirror you?

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Maybe the Ice Climbers will be a New 3DS exclusive?

EDIT: for some reason, I didn't start seeing today's messages until this post...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I expect Ice Climbers are cut. And that's ok, we'll survive.

If they are ever DLC, it will have to be for both 3DS and WiiU, and will have to accommodate all 3DS systems not just the new ones. Otherwise you fragment the games and the online play.

We are not in a good position to argue that it is technically possible to make them work on 3DS. The dev team could have very good reasons why this is a challenge, and Ice Climbers would not be worth an enormous technical effort. New game additions like the fancy new characters and stage bosses would be more important from a business standpoint. Newcomers get hype, and help sell other games. Ice Climbers not so much, even though I love them.

I don't see any reason that "the all-star mode was locked" screenshot necessarily has anything to do with the leaked character-roster. These are screenshots/vids that were sent by Nintendo to the ESRB for rating, they aren't even necessarily from the same build. The menu was just an example of what the menu looks like. As for the character roster, it would make sense for them to send the whole thing so that the ESRB so they have the fullest idea of the game and can, say, request additional information about a character that looks suspicious from a ratings standpoint.

Anyway, keep hoping, but honestly smash4 is gonna be awesome even without my beloved nana and popo :(
Now I know we are all entitled to our own opinions but I generally don't have as much hype for the newcomers as the returning Brawl veterans. And if we have gotten the final roster, even with R.O.B. and Mr. G&W in it, I'm still really disappointed with our roster. I honestly think that the only "newcomer" left would be Mewtwo, then just have everyone from Brawl return (except Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur). I'd be very happy with a roster like that but I think that if this is the full roster Nintendo went the complete wrong way when it comes to what remaining newcomers we have left to be announced. Plenty of people (though I don't really care) would prefer Ridley over most if not all of the newcomers from this leak. If this is the final roster, my hype for this game went from a 10 to 7-7.5. I mean the newcomers are just...why? We already have a solid representation of the Mario franchise without the needs of Dr. Mario and Bowser Jr. The same goes for the Kid Icarus series. We have a good representation of it with just Pit and Palutena, and anything more just seems like either 1. Extra padding for the franchise or 2. Sakurai being biased. Then the Duck Hunt Dog, which I've seen some people say if he got in, he would be SSB4's joke character. I honestly don't take any character as a joke, but I think the DHD goes a bit too far in the likes of what people wanted just to be funny. I honestly won't play as the rest of the newcomers from the leak, if they are in fact real.

I'm always going to hold out hope for the ICies until they're confirmed or Nintendo says they're not in the game, but the game just feels so incomplete without them and if we have seen the final roster then Nintendo missed out on a huge opportunity. Because for me, the newcomers from the leak that are left are just...*yawn*...boring. I don't care for any of them, and would honestly like it better if they were scrapped.

Again, just my opinion. I hope the ICies are announced soon, because I'm getting nervous as to their fate and the fate of this game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Would it really be that much of a mortal sin if they were a Wii U exclusive? It's been pretty well noted that both games are going to have some different content and I don't see how they would exactly be "crossing the line" by doing this.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Would it really be that much of a mortal sin if they were a Wii U exclusive? It's been pretty well noted that both games are going to have some different content and I don't see how they would exactly be "crossing the line" by doing this.
Heck no. It wouldn't be a sin at all! They'd be in the game, and better yet, the version of it that I'm getting.

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
They have to return will be unfair for us (IC fans) that for limitation of 3DS they arent to be neither on WiiU

AlexLopezGt

Smash Rookie
Now I remember, when brawl was in devolment many leaks said that they with Mr G&W will be cut but no, now I think is the same story.

Top Bottom