• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Kryal

Smash Ace
I see...
well good luck to ya there... heh :p

hey... does this mean you're actually coming back, or just visiting??
Just visiting for now, sorry! :(

Kryal!!!
You taught me so much (indirectly)! I literally taught myself C# from your code. I program just like you now, and I love your programming style XD

I'm glad you're well too. :) Just do whatever you want with your life. That's cool that you helped out in Japan. :D

Btw, I never got to ask you because you were gone... is it okay if I take over as lead programmer of Brawlbox? It might be a bit late to ask that though XD
I suppose that's fine. Nothing stopping you there! I would rather not open up the Google Code repository, but you're free to do what you want with the code.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Kryal!
Good to see ya, man. You missed a lot after BJ took over :p

You'd be impressed with what a guy his age did.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Don't be frustrated. I've been programming in c# for nearly ten years now. I'm 27 now, which means almost half of my life has been devoted to programming. I don't quite know how to feel about that.
Mother of god, you've been using C# since right around when it was publicly introduced. I've been using it for about 2 years, but I haven't really got every single piece of the .NET framework down because I've also been working in Java and C++ (Java for Android, C++ for a couple of cross-platform projects). I haven't spent quite as much time as you, but I'm also only 15, so I think it's understandable :p

My programming style may be strange and confusing, but for those who have tried I hope you can learn from it.
For C#, it's quite honestly the most nonsensical and confusing code I've ever seen. I often feel like you abuse pointers, but then I look at some ancient C programs, and I reconsider. I've actually thought of, for a nice learning experience, diving through your code, making myself understand everything, and then removing anything that uses OpenGL and replacing it with XNA surfaces instead. I'm quite familiar with the XNA framework, so that part doesn't seem incredibly threatening to me, but understanding your code coming from a coding style where I never have to use anything you do because efficiency doesn't matter as much and I'm never doing anything similar to this will be quite the challenge and learning experience :p

tl;dr: I'm in awe at how long you've been working with C#, you're an inspiration to me, and your coding style is black magic to me.

Kryal

Smash Ace
I'm in awe at how long you've been working with C#, you're an inspiration to me, and your coding style is black magic to me.
Haha, I'll take that as a compliment. Honestly, compared to raw C++ programming, the code I wrote isn't nearly as complex. .NET gives us the luxury of automatic memory management!

Speaking of pointers, there's a specific reason I chose memory maps instead of file streams. In fact, it took me a month of coding before I scrapped file streams altogether. One of the reasons being LZ77 compression :urg:. If you've ever looked at NodeFactory or ResourceNode, you'll see some of this 'magic'. Every time you import or replace a resource, a fully converted temporary file is created. When saving, all the program has to do is merge all the files together. It adds a nightmare of complexity, but it's crazy fast. Memory usage is low because it exists on the HDD. Thich means you can import GBs of data and not care (which was supposed to be for RSAR, but we won't get into that...)

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I see...

and it's just that part I'm having the biggest load of trouble with D:

but technically you're still streaming XDD

mind taking time to explain it to me :)
(your code is a mystery and a half in that area) D:

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Haha, I'll take that as a compliment. Honestly, compared to raw C++ programming, the code I wrote isn't nearly as complex. .NET gives us the luxury of automatic memory management!
No doubt. I'm working in C++ right now for a game, and the code I have to write to make a quadtree is a lot more complex than the code I had to write in C# for one. I've always hated cleaning up my own mess in real life, having to do it in programming too makes it even more annoying :p I accidentally created a memory leak before because I forgot to clean up an object correctly on scope exit, and it was in a loop... you can imagine the look on my face when I checked my resource usage and say 100000k for something simple and I had no IntelliTrace/JIT debugging like C# has D:

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
@Kryal, I'm just going to give you a huge shout out here. You and BrawlBox not only got me started programming (which I now intend to major in and pursue a career in), but also have inspired me to keep learning more so I can one day become as good a programmer as you and BlackJax. I was completely clueless about programming 1.5 years ago when the Open BBox thread started. When I signed up there as a "C# Learner", I didn't even know how to declare a variable, much less the many other factors needed to make any sort of complex program. I won't claim to be very knowledgeable even now (it probably doesn't help that I have no access to formal programming classes, not to mention outside meddling in C++ and JavaScript), seeing what you and others are capable of continues to be an inspiration to me. I just wanted you to know that writing this program has completely changed my life for the better and I hope to one day be able to inspire and amaze others who were where I was not too long ago. I wish you luck in anything (legal) you wish to achieve in life.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
@Kryal, I'm just going to give you a huge shout out here. You and BrawlBox not only got me started programming (which I now intend to major in and pursue a career in), but also have inspired me to keep learning more so I can one day become as good a programmer as you and BlackJax. I was completely clueless about programming 1.5 years ago when the Open BBox thread started. When I signed up there as a "C# Learner", I didn't even know how to declare a variable, much less the many other factors needed to make any sort of complex program. I won't claim to be very knowledgeable even now (it probably doesn't help that I have no access to formal programming classes, not to mention outside meddling in C++ and JavaScript), seeing what you and others are capable of continues to be an inspiration to me. I just wanted you to know that writing this program has completely changed my life for the better and I hope to one day be able to inspire and amaze others who were where I was not too long ago. I wish you luck in anything (legal) you wish to achieve in life.
*sigh* me in a nutshell =3=
except with Python XD

I think I might take a collage course for C-Types...
(there isn't too much that confuses me)
*cough*
for loops
pointers
unions (a little)
and a few more things >_>

anyways yea...
I don't think I ever said thanx for the inspiration :D

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
uh...how do I load character models???
Then play animations???
I'm researching...

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
uh...how do I load character models???
Then play animations???
I'm researching...
- open a PAC or PCS
- R-click the MDL0 or the entire PAC/PCS and click Preview
- in the animations tab, open the FitMotionEtc PAC for your character

IK... BJ didn't have everything just up and tell you what to do...
of course though C# is a more complex programming language than what I use... heh... I'd prbly do it too :p
Python is actually rated the simplest programming language... too bad Brbx wasn't built with it...

GuardianGallade

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crazyhairdude
3DS FC
3325-2538-6421
There was a version of BrawlBox someone made for Mac (You can check out the thread here) but the website they were hosting it on has been out of business for almost a year. Does anybody have it, or a mirror they could send me? I've wanted to make my own Smash mods for awhile now

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
@Anaky: Did you fix your problem? I'd like to know how to change the stage select screen background too. The only thing I know about it is that the texture for the background is in MiscData[20] in the sc_selmap.pac and it's named MenselchrFace.B001. There's also a model called MenSelmapBg in the 3DModels(NW4R) folder that you're supposed to replace with a 2D model, and then you just replace the MenselchrFace.B001 texture with the one you want. The problem is, I don't know what 2D model you're supposed to replace it with. I was wondering if you knew. Any help would be appreciated.

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
UPDATE

For those of you who have problems with corrupted images (in-game, not in previewer), I've found a solution. Apparently, there was a texture name attached to some material entries that was overlooked. I believe this is used to 'decal' some textures on top of others when generating a material.

To find out if a particular model is affected, all you have to do is look under the 'Textures2' node. If there are texture references listed, then there's a good chance it will screw up. HOWEVER! This does not happen all the time, for instance: if a model is the only file in a bres node, or if the bres file size does not change.

The problem has been fixed, and post-processing now re-links the texture name. Here is a screen of the entry:

A special thanks to everyone who submitted files for this issue!

On a side note, the collision encoder is complete and the box selector is coming along well (hooray trig!). I've also found a solution to some of the rendering problems concerning flicker (silly fix really). I hope to have a release this weekend.
Hi Kryal, I am having the corrupted texture problem too and would like some help. I'm using blender to import Rundas' model from Metroid Prime 3 Corruption into Brawl. I am able to get the model and the textures imported into Brawlbox, but when I load the game only the model(not rigged yet) shows up in game, and the texture looks like this:

Corrupted Texture.PNG

I made sure the format of the texture was CMPR when importing it, and for some strange reason, even without the textures imported into BrawlBox, the textures are still loaded in the preview. What's causing this is this texture reference file located in the texture node, there's no texture 2 node in my file, and whenever I delete this texture reference and save it, I re-open it and the reference is back. I don't know if this is what's causing the problem or if it's Blender itself. I don't know if it's relevant for me to explain what I did in Blender to get it in Brawlbox, but if it's necessary please let me know. Any info will be useful and thank you.

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
Brawlbox may load the textures for the preview if they are located in the same folder as your pcs/pac model file. That or if you loaded them once, I forgot. Maybe both. But that's normal.

The texture references are the list of textures the objects of your model are calling at the moment. That list is automatically generated. Deleting that won't change anything. You must change the textures your materials use if you want to get rid of that.

Just so you know, when the game fails to locate the proper texture for your model, it will randomly read any texture around the stage/other characters and place it into yours.

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Thanks for the reply Montimers! Very much appreciated!

Ok, so now that I know the game can't locate the textures, I'm thinking it has to do with Blender.

Whenever I export the model from Blender to .dae, the textures don't show up in Brawlbox. When I go back to Blender, I notice that the materials don't have any textures mapped to them. What I end up doing is reapplying the textures to the materials and then going through some steps to export the texures with the dae. Here are the steps I use:
1. Go to file, external data, pack all into .blend
2.Go to external data again and click unpack all into files(this creates the textures folder)
3. Go to the material textures(the checkered sphere icon)
4.Click the textures icon(the checkered square icon right next to the checkered sphere icon) and click the small drop-down menu
5.Change the data type to image or movie and then open the texture in the textures folder(This applies the texture to the material)
6.Repeat steps 1 and 2 then export to .dae

When I load it back into Brawlbox, the textures work, but the model is distorted.

What I did to fix this is go through the above mentioned and then export to .fbx instead and then I convert it to .dae with autodesk fbx converter 2010. When I load the model in Brawlbox it doesn't look as messed up as before and the textures work, but in game I get the same issue.

You said that the textures are loaded in Brawlbox if they are in the same location as the model file, could this be why Brawlbox loads the texture even when I haven't imported it yet? Is this why the textures aren't working? Because the only file in the model file is the texture reference, not the texture itself. When I import the texture nothing happens, but when I remove the texture reference the textures don't show up in the preview. I don't know why this is happening. If anyone knows why this is happening please let me know and thank you!

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
I won't lie. I never used Blender, I always relied mostly in 3DS. But the process you described is similar. When I import the model in 3DS, the material spheres are also blank. That could be dae's fault, but I don't really know. However, that doesnt mean the materials where erased. If I let the textures in the same folder as my dae file, the model will appear textured in 3ds. But sometimes, for some reason I never figured out, after I export my model from 3ds to brawlbox, the textures often come blank, as 3DS seems to be prone to delete my materials for whatever reason, and I end up having to re-add them manually in brawlbox.

At least, if brawlbox show them correctly, you know the texture mapping is there. Brawlbox showing a preview is not the reason of why it's wrong in-game, but it can be giving you a false preview. For example, animations. Brawlbox doesn't care if they have capital letters or not, it shows them properly, but in-game your model will get t-posed if you miss that. Something like that might be happening to your textures. I can assure you that if you don't import your textures in the pac/pcs, it will never laod in-game.
And another thing I just remembered I ahd problems with, LONG time ago. I might be wrong about this, it was really long time ago. If your texture folder is the first folder inside the model file, I mean, if it comes before the model itself, it doesn't load.

Last edited:

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
So you say the reason why my textures might not be working is because the name of the texture file doesn't match? I say this because whenever I import the textures for the model, the name of it doesn't match the name of the texture for the original model. In this case, I'm using Captain Falcon as a base for the model, and when I import the model I want over it, the name of the model file is still FitCaptain00. I noticed that in the original model, one of the textures was named cap_body. The name of the texture for the model I'm importing is F81B something, don't remember. Should I just replace the cap_body texture with the one I have and delete the rest?

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
The name was an example that I know for sure that happens with animations, but it could happen with textures too, I don't know.
The name itself is not important. But you must use it properly in the material to make it show up.

Here, I made this because I'm not sure if I explained well what I tried before.

24.png

This is the texture folder. Here, you can have any name for any model.

25.png

Here is the material that uses the texture. What you write in the field up there is generated in this "textures" folder, you don't write anything there. If you change the name of the textures I'm showing in the first pic, the names won't change automatically here, in the materials, so that's what you must fix.

The name of the model is not important either. Your Rundas model won't have textures named the same way Captain Falcon had, so it won't load automatically. If they were the same, and if the materials were using textures with the same name, you would have it automatically fixed. But that will never be the case when it comes to model importing.

Last edited:

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Ok, so I made sure the material, the texture reference, and the texture itself were all the same name, and I still got the same result. Could there be something else I'm doing wrong?

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
Well, I can't really think of anything. If you want, I can take a look at the file and the textures. Messing with this is not exactly my strong point, and guessing what's wrong without checking it is rather hard.

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Sure, here's the file:

I included the dae I exported from blender too, just in case the pac/pcs files are not enough

EDIT: I forgot to tell you, the files are in the "Rundas" folder

Last edited:

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
After a quick look, I noticed the problem. Since explaining it with words would take longer than fixing it myself, I just did it. :) Hoperfully.
https://www.mediafire.com/?tamc0msqm2ujdzb

I'm not sure I fixed because the model looks bizarre in-game and it's hard to see if the texture is showing properly. But look at how the texture should be inside the pac/pcs. If it doesn't work, I must have missed something, but I can assure you the way it was before is just not right.

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Thank you very much! It worked!...in Dolphin at least, I've yet to test it in-game. I noticed what I was doing wrong when I looked at the file you gave me. The texture is supposed to go in its own brres resource pack. All I had to do was just replace captain falcon's textures in the separate textures brres and then delete the rest of the textures instead of deleting the whole folder. The textures will not work if you import them inside the model folder, just in case anyone needs to know this. And there's just one weird problem, whenever I test the texture on a stage with a texture it turns the character's texture all black. I don't know if it's just for that one stage, I have to do some more testing. But anyway, thanks for the help Montimers! Very much appreciated!

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
Ah, good that it worked. I don't think I would know what else I could try. If anything else happens, I can still try to help, I just won't promise I'll find a solution.:cyclops:

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Hi. I'm here with an issue about editing hitboxes in BrawlBox v 0.67b. I'm well aware that this is the last version of BrawlBox that allows you to view the collisions for a character's moves, but what I'm having trouble with is either editing them the way I want, or even getting them to work in-game. First, I thought BrawlBox can only serve as a visual reference for locating hitboxes, and to actually get it to work in-game, you would have to use Project Smash Attacks. I have a little knowledge of editing hitboxes, but I just can't get it to work the way I want. My initial project was to change Wolf's Neutral Air so that it hits multiple times. I've noticed that when I delete one of his collision bubbles and try adding new collisions and rearranging them, the file becomes corrupted and crashes the game, the size goes from the initial 272 to 265, but when I edit it in PSA, it goes up to 273. Since I don't know why that happens, I tried something a little easier: add hitboxes to Wolf's side taunt. I go to BrawlBox, load the moveset file, go to Wolf's side taunt and add a collision bubble with the correct properties. When I test it in-game, nothing happens. I try it in PSA instead, same thing. Can anyone explain to me why the hitboxes aren't loading properly or why whenever I delete a hitbox from a move it crashes the game? Any information will be useful.

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
First, the lastest version to edit moves is 68.b, not 67. I don't recommend using any other version besides this one because they are more unstable.

The lower size is normal ONLY after the first time you save it with brawlbox, as it rearranges stuff in the code to use the minimal as possible space. However, some certain characters always break when doing that.
Here's a list of those forbidden chars: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=78329.0

Another thing... NEVER save with brawlbox more than once before closing it and opening it again. It's annoying, I know, but like that, it won't corrupt your files.
Also, never save a psa file with brawlbox and with psa, doesn't matter the order. That will eventually cause bizarre things you may not be able to fix anymore.

Why your collision is not appearing, I don't know. Unless you already corrupted your file, there's no reason for that to happen. You must be doing something wrong.

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Montimers Montimers : Thanks! I was able to get the hitbox to work properly by using Brawlbox v0.68b. Unfortunately, Wolf is in the list of corrupted characters, so my game crashes when I use his final smash. Anyway, I'm now trying to swap Wolf's animation for his side smash with his animation for his dash attack. I exported the cHLR0 for his dash attack and went to his side smash animation and replaced it. When I play the animation, it finishes, and then this happens: Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's just a preview glitch in Brawlbox. The moveset works fine in game without crashing, and Wolf's head does not disappear after the move finishes.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom