• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I've made a new discovery.

BrawlBox DOES NOT work with .Net Framework 4.

I used the Net Framework cleaner tool to remove it, then installed 3.5, and now it works.
Yes it does. I use .Net Framework 4 and it works. Even after completely uninstalling the .Net framework so I no longer had 3.5 or earlier installed, and then reinstalling just 4.0, it still worked. People are doing something wrong, because the .Net framework is backwards compatible.
Yeah, .NET frameworks ARE NOT backwards compatible...
Yes it is. Microsoft even said somewhere on their site that every update of the .Net framework contains all the previous frameworks as well, so there should be no problem with backwards compatibility.

I seriously do not know what is going on here, but it's not the .Net Framework.

EDIT: Statement from Microsoft that says it's backwards compatible: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff602939.aspx

MetroidMaster1

Smash Apprentice
Somebody mentioned "drag and drop" animation on the kkmm forums. Does this mean that with the new brawlbox I could simply click a bone and move it to where I want it to be. Like literally drag and drop?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Somebody mentioned "drag and drop" animation on the kkmm forums. Does this mean that with the new brawlbox I could simply click a bone and move it to where I want it to be. Like literally drag and drop?
Nope. However, on if you download the latest BrawlBox Modset there's mouse rotation instead of the old method of trying different numbers. We're not at drag and drop yet, though :/

Dantarion

Smash Champion
.NET Frameworks are backwards compatible.
Applications compiled against 3.5 are run until 3.5 through a backwards compatibility layer, even when 4.0 is the only one installed

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
When I try to download Microsoft.NET Framework it says, "You must use"Turn Windows features on or off" in the control panel to install or configure Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 SP1"

What do I do?

sinjo200

Smash Rookie
can someone please help me out, i cant seem to get brawlbox to run, everytime i click on it i get this message
"BrawlBox v0.63d has stopped working"

BigBadBooya

Smash Rookie
Can anyone update the Brawl Box to create/import AnmVis[NW4R] and AnmClr[NW4R] files? It would be helpful if this can be done. I need them to help edit characters and graphics.

Reasons:
AnmVis[NW4R] files can control what kind of facial expression would be able to show on each characters in any of their animation
AnmClr[NW4R] files can control what frame and how long a graphic can be seen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For those who probably don't know this already, there is one texture format that BrawlBox doesn't handle very well, which is the CI14x2 texture format. You'll probably notice that texture format while importing textures.

Anyway, that texture format is very rare to come by, seeing as I only saw two textures with that texture format; both are TPL files.

Mario Kart Wii: Cayman Islands Flag.
Mario Sports Mix: Wario's face icon for the Records menu.

CI14x2 textures use 14 bits per pixel, but it's unknown if they use palettes.

Now, seeing as I haven't seen any Brawl textures use CI14x2, I'm guessing that adding CI14x2 support onto BrawlBox is pretty redundant.

Photos

Smash Journeyman
i have a question about the program itself:
if brawlbox can decipher the exact coordinates for the vertices (i see the values in the vertices folder) why does brawlbox not have a simple model editor?

MetroidMaster1

Smash Apprentice
>_>
I thought I was linked to a different program
And I got this...
Can anyone tell me how to extract sounds from a BRSAR in .WAVE or .MP3 format?

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Brawlbox won't associate itself with my BRSTMs anymore. I'm using windows 7. I also noticed that someone posted the same exact issue over a year ago, which has been left unresolved.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Download it and try it. That is definitely not the case ;)
Reading over the features again, it does actually look quite different. However, do take the current modset's features into consideration, they're quite popular and you should add them in.

And good luck with the model importer. Several people (including myself) have tried finishing it, and to no avail. It's mostly done, but what's left is probably the biggest pain to finish, which is why it was given up on.

BlackJax96

Smash Apprentice
Reading over the features again, it does actually look quite different. However, do take the current modset's features into consideration, they're quite popular and you should add them in.

And good luck with the model importer. Several people (including myself) have tried finishing it, and to no avail. It's mostly done, but what's left is probably the biggest pain to finish, which is why it was given up on.
I'm pretty sure it's just rebuilding the materials, shaders and objects right now (objects mostly, because materials and shaders can be written with default values). Tcll and I have been studying the objects for a while. I've been looking at how the primitives and weights are read and seeing how I could do the opposite. I also noticed Kryal didn't finish the object's calculate size function :/

Who else tried finishing it? What, in particular, was stopping you guys? Could we all work together to finish it?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
The only problem, if I remember, was saving and exporting.
It wouldn't save because when a model was imported it wasn't fully rebuilt. Shaders were completely missing (which is why most models neglected to show up correctly after being imported, or refused to show up at all in the model viewer), among other things.

I'm pretty sure it's just rebuilding the materials, shaders and objects right now (objects mostly, because materials and shaders can be written with default values). Tcll and I have been studying the objects for a while. I've been looking at how the primitives and weights are read and seeing how I could do the opposite. I also noticed Kryal didn't finish the object's calculate size function :/

Who else tried finishing it? What, in particular, was stopping you guys? Could we all work together to finish it?
Uh, I forget. I think Bero might have tried at some point, but other than that I forget for the most part. As for what was stopping us, at the time for me it was my bad C# knowledge (which has improved, but still not enough to work on it very much because I absolutely despise Kryal's coding style. POINTERS EVERYWHERE, DO NOT WANT. I understand pointers are much more efficient, but I prefer a stream or buffer of some sort, they're far easier to work with) and the fact that what was left was pretty much a pain unless you had time to really look into it, which I did not (now it's summer, I have more time, but I have better things to do now. In regards to Brawl mods, I'm working on Subspace mods and possibly implementing something for them into Bero's modset. For other things, I'm doing a bit of engineering and making a simple robot, and I'm also programming a video game).

EDIT: Oh, and as a note, the first person to my knowledge to have ever worked on an importer/rebuilder was Pharrox, but he gave up a while ago and is no longer active. I believe he got to around the same point as Kryal before giving up, maybe not as far.

BlackJax96

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... So I guess that means I'm pretty much alone working on the model rebuilding :/ Well I'm not going to stop working on it until it's finished ;) Mainly because it's so dang close to being done. I do agree on the pointers thing though. They were pretty confusing when I first started, but now I understand them enough to work with them. I think I actually started studying Brawlbox's source around last December, so I'm pretty familiar with it now.

Photos

Smash Journeyman
- DAE importing
- Bone adding and structure editing

:D

Features you can try out but can't save

:(

I almost wanna learn how to do this stuff just so i can help. too bad school gets in the way. *sigh*

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Very nice program.
I've been texture hacking for several months now. I wanted to try making my own, and this skinner is very easy to use. I have one question though. Is there any way to change the pose of the character in the preview?

DarkAceZ

Smash Cadet
Sorry for bumping, if anyone cares...
I get some awful errors when trying to edit revo_kart.brsar from Mario Kart Wii, and I understand that this tool is for Smash Games but it should work as well on any other Wii game, right?
It gives me errors when I try to export and seek in a sound. (ONLY inside revo_kart, brstms work fine... usually) And I can't play any of the sounds in revo_kart. I hit play and it does nothing. I seek or export and it comes up with an error in JIT compiler. Here are the "Details":
[COLLAPSE="CODE"]See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Windows.Forms.AudioPlaybackPanel.UpdateTimeDisplay()
at System.Windows.Forms.AudioPlaybackPanel.trackBar1_ValueChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TrackBar.OnValueChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TrackBar.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4214 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
BrawlBox
Assembly Version: 0.63.3691.33774
Win32 Version: 0.63.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Michelle%20Rissler/Desktop/brsar/BrawlBox%20v0.63d/BrawlBox.exe
BrawlLib
Assembly Version: 0.10.3691.33773
Win32 Version: 0.10.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Michelle%20Rissler/Desktop/brsar/BrawlBox%20v0.63d/BrawlLib.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4214 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4215 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

[/COLLAPSE]

pokelover980

Smash Ace
but it should work as well on any other Wii game, right?
Nope, that's your mistake. Files may have the same extensions, but they could be completely different formats, or a different version of the format. In this case, I believe the error comes from Mario Kart Wii using a different version of the format.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Hi all! Thought I'd stop in to say hello. Things have been rather interesting the past six months. After the tsunami in Japan last March, I left my stable job to volunteer in Tohoku for two months. This gave me loads of time to think and reflect. I was fortunate enough to land a job in web design, and came back to the states to do more programming. Lucky me! :urg:

What I'm getting at here is that, after all this time I still think of this project and community often. I had lots of fun and regret ever leaving. I don't want any of you thinking that I was driven off by frustration or anger at the community. In a perfect world, I would be in Kyoto teaching by day and programming by night.

So, a few tips for all the prospective software engineers out there.

Don't be frustrated. I've been programming in c# for nearly ten years now. I'm 27 now, which means almost half of my life has been devoted to programming. I don't quite know how to feel about that. My programming style may be strange and confusing, but for those who have tried I hope you can learn from it.

Work is work, hobby is hobby. I kind of messed that one up, which started eating at my personal life and eventually burned me out. Balance is key!

I sincerely apologize for the unkept promises. There was still so much work to do! Keep up the good work everyone, and best of luck!

P.S. If you're interested in the blog I kept in japan, PM me.

BlackJax96

Smash Apprentice
Kryal!!!
You taught me so much (indirectly)! I literally taught myself C# from your code. I program just like you now, and I love your programming style XD

I'm glad you're well too. :) Just do whatever you want with your life. That's cool that you helped out in Japan. :D

Btw, I never got to ask you because you were gone... is it okay if I take over as lead programmer of Brawlbox? It might be a bit late to ask that though XD

Top Bottom