• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl + the standard game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Alex' Falco vs. White Peach's Peach in B+>Grand Finals. Pound 4 grand finals sucked universally. Even Chudat's vbrawl Kirby matches...nevermind.

The doubles were good. Same with some of the ROB matches.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Speaking as a Melee player, I think the Brawl hacks should go the route they have been, making Brawl a better game, but not attempting to be a Melee clone. I would rather see Brawl become a good game in its own right. That would be much more appealing as a game to take seriously than a game trying to be a clone of Melee with extra characters. Sure, more viable characters is nice, but it would still just make me want to go back to Melee; I'm not quite tired of the game yet. I can play both 64 and Melee because they are different games. I wouldn't play 64 if it was made more like Melee either.
QFT.

I mean, at the end of the day, all the Brawl mods are still Brawl. improving on the game is a much better option then turning it into it's predecessor. because that's less reaching a resolution and more like bribery.

Ok but you're just assuming it's most, with no real backing. You shouldn't do that.
I apoligize if it sounds like I'm putting words in people's mouths- that was purely unintentional. If I had quotes for reference as those I would show you, but I have seen coments like that before.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
I want a melee clone. sorry :l

I do like Brawl+ tho.
i kinda do too but its impossible to have link have is bomb jump and his hook shot so i might have doubts also i hope it looks clean and not choppy like its looks like hacked game hopefully PjM is going to be good cuz im done with B+ got tierd of all the changes and downloads they did T_T and im into melee now but if they some how make it good enough for it to be tourney notice well ima be on it

Alphatron

Smash Champion
^As long as the people in charge of Project M continue to ignore everyone and anyone who asks for a download, you should find yourself very impressed when the final project is finally released.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Just speaking on behalf of P:M briefly, I wanted to say that we're quite aware that if our project is even the slightest bit less fluid and enjoyable than Melee no one will play it. We're all melee players leading the project, and we won't settle for anything less than a really fun, polished product.

This won't feel like a heavily modified version of Brawl, it will feel like a lightly tweaked version of Melee... and provided we can get a lot of the move timings, KBs, and character weights working closely, P:M skills may actually transfer back to Melee sometimes... who knows

Anyways, please return to your regularly scheduled Brawl+

Oh, and Wario can pull of some fun-to-watch things... or he can air camp.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Don't act like characters don't get very campy in Melee though ._.

Granted its certainly more aggressive than Brawl or B+, it seems like most people ignore how bad Melee can get.

"Oh look my Fox got the percent lead! Pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew *run away* pew pew pew pew pew pew pew!"

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Jman is like the only Fox that camps with Fox. Sheik camps, Jiggs camps, Falco camps, Fox camps, Peach camps, Samus camps, but most of them can be delt with.(except for gay Jiggs right now :mad:)

SiD

Smash Master
Haha the guy who taught me how to play Melee was super aggressive all the time, so that's how I learned. I think it's more fun that way.

Rikana

Smash Champion
^^^^

Being aggressive in Melee IS the most fun. Getting those combos in and pressuring is what makes it even more fun. And then winning in the end makes it the best. That's why I love Melee.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
I enjoyed Lee vs Ally match, though it's nice to see Ally's B+ Snake . Some matches were boring and some were interesting. It's looks like Ally is getting a little more offensive in Brawl+ then in vBrawl, but he stills camps XD. Lee really brought out the gayness out of Lucario in the set.

So which game had the best GF? Melee, Brawl, or Brawl+?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
A l ly's joke is that if you had to pick between watching Melee GF and Brawl GF...you'd have to pick watching Brawl GF over Melee GF.

Either way, Brawl+ GF was better than the two, you have to admit.

BEES

Smash Lord
Jman is like the only Fox that camps with Fox. Sheik camps, Jiggs camps, Falco camps, Fox camps, Peach camps, Samus camps, but most of them can be delt with.(except for gay Jiggs right now :mad:)
I've only ever seen aggressive Falco players in Melee. I won't deny that camping with him can be done, but it never has to be.

Maybe it was a phase back when SHL was first discovered.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
This topic reminds me of how much ignorance is spread around regarding Brawl+. It makes me sad.
Well initially, i just wanted to know if a poll could be made to determine how many people would rather brawl+ than vbrawl at big tourneys, but i am interested i nwhat other peoples opinions of b+ r.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
A l ly's joke is that if you had to pick between watching Melee GF and Brawl GF...you'd have to pick watching Brawl GF over Melee GF.

Either way, Brawl+ GF was better than the two, you have to admit.
double post. Brawl GF was the best. Brawl+ GF was a camp fest = boring. Melee GFs was a bair camp fair = Boring. Brawl GF was just someone getting ***** LOL = WIN!

BEES

Smash Lord
-This is PAL.
-His opponent was Jigglypuff.
-The stage was Kongo Jungle 64.
-He was still camping less than the Puff.
-Falco still lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaY8WXTnDXo

I think this is a good case study of Falco vs Jiggs. Note how aggressive PP is. It takes guts to stay Falco against Jiggs, because you know you'll be doing much more work than your opponent, and you have nothing guaranteed against them, while they have an instant kill if you flub a smash or miss a DI. Generally I think Falcos switch to Fox. I sure as hell would.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Brawl + being the standard would be great, hell I havent played balanced brawl but if that doesnt have all the broken crap vbrawl has in it then I would even play that over it, and while people are talking about it, Diddy kong IS broken and it should be blaringly obvious to anyone who has played the game or scene his matches. same goes for Meta knight. And while im at it, there is a TON of other broken **** in brawl that is character specific and you just wonder "Why the hell did they leave that in there?" And plus theres a lot of little stupid things like, why is peach one of the only, if not the only character in the game that cant grab ledge backwards in her up b?

So having another hacking project as the standard is a great great idea, As much as I love melee I dont think it should be project m because the community will probably never go for it. I think balanced brawl has the best chance at this spot.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
-This is PAL.
-His opponent was Jigglypuff.
-The stage was Kongo Jungle 64.
-He was still camping less than the Puff.
-Falco still lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaY8WXTnDXo

I think this is a good case study of Falco vs Jiggs. Note how aggressive PP is. It takes guts to stay Falco against Jiggs, because you know you'll be doing much more work than your opponent, and you have nothing guaranteed against them, while they have an instant kill if you flub a smash or miss a DI. Generally I think Falcos switch to Fox. I sure as hell would.
PAL has nothing to do with anything. The only thing thats different is Falco's dair.

The MU is mad hard. Lazor camping and dair spamming is the way to go. Dtilts and bairs for kills. Overall, it's still Falco's worse MU.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Im just curious when is Project M supposed to come out is it almost finished?
I honestly dont see vbrawl or melee players to be playing this it just seems like it'll split the small B+ community in half

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
It's actually in pre alpha.

And us melee players say if we can un plug our controller and put it directly into project M and it feels the same we'll definitely play it.

SiD

Smash Master
In the Project M thread it says closed beta ETWIST. But I suppose it doesn't matter....

Yeah that'd be awesome if it felt familiar enough to Melee that we could pick it up quick.

The Cape

Smash Master
For the Brawl+ as a standard I personally like the idea as the project leader up until very recently (life johns). The game was developed with a few goals in mind:

1. Allow more characters to be viable:
This has been done as you can see from any tournament results

2. Allow offense to be a possible option:
This was done by making the game have more hit and sheild stun and weakening the dodge mechanics slighty so that defense is still strong, but not over powering

3. Remove the uncompetitive techniques in Brawl:
Done, removed jab locks, infinites, grab releases, etc

4. Create a game where a player can pick up the game and play and feel comfortable, but need to practice to do well
Done, the game follows the Brawl model of the more intelligent player winning, but it still allows the possibility of more positive followups on any successful punishment on the opponent.

All and all it feels to be a great competitive game (bias aside) as its easy to pick up and the smarter player wins. Melee's biggest problem was the tech skill barrier and Brawl's was the fact that defense wins and almost no characters were viable. This effectively fixes both while still keeping the good smash feel.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Believe me. Shanus said it was in pre alpha many times.

This is why I'm asking for no more streams because its putting false information into the wild.

People need to realize that almost every build we are altering the gravities of each character. This means we have not compensated the weights OR knockbacks of most moves across builds. Pre-alpha is pre-alpha for a reason.

In conclusion, no more streams.
People shouldn't even be talking about gold versoins at this point. Technically, it's like alpha stage or pre-alpha lol; not even beta
Nope! The project is pre-alpha, so only the devs get it. We know what needs to be added, and will reach the alpha stages once they are finally added. Until then, balance is pointless and unachievable.

-DD

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
^ You two, let it go, seriously. It's just semantics.

there is a TON of other broken **** in brawl that is character specific and you just wonder "Why the hell did they leave that in there?"
Brawl wasn't designed to be a competitive game. The developers either didn't notice or care about the broken **** or the wild imbalances.

So having another hacking project as the standard is a great great idea, As much as I love melee I dont think it should be project m because the community will probably never go for it. I think balanced brawl has the best chance at this spot.
Too early to say anything about Project M, but I doubt Balanced Brawl would end up being the standard over Brawl+. Brawl+ has a much larger following and a lot more tourney exposure.

The type of people who might be interested in Balanced Brawl tend to just stick to vBrawl, and the type who look to hacks for a better game tend to come to Brawl+.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
For the Brawl+ as a standard I personally like the idea as the project leader up until very recently (life johns). The game was developed with a few goals in mind:

1. Allow more characters to be viable:
This has been done as you can see from any tournament results

2. Allow offense to be a possible option:
This was done by making the game have more hit and sheild stun and weakening the dodge mechanics slighty so that defense is still strong, but not over powering

3. Remove the uncompetitive techniques in Brawl:
Done, removed jab locks, infinites, grab releases, etc

4. Create a game where a player can pick up the game and play and feel comfortable, but need to practice to do well
Done, the game follows the Brawl model of the more intelligent player winning, but it still allows the possibility of more positive followups on any successful punishment on the opponent.

All and all it feels to be a great competitive game (bias aside) as its easy to pick up and the smarter player wins. Melee's biggest problem was the tech skill barrier and Brawl's was the fact that defense wins and almost no characters were viable. This effectively fixes both while still keeping the good smash feel.
best post in the thread, i wish the entire community could see this, because alot of brawlers dont exactly know what was done in b+ and just believe it to be more combo effective.

edit: btw, this account is still keith da thief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom