• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ renamed to brawl: insert idea here?

Finns7

Smash Ace
It will add more confusion if we change the name :/

Brawl+ is fine to me

cman

Smash Ace
For it to be changed, the advantages of changing it would have to outweigh the disadvantage of lots of confusion. I don't think its worth it to change it, though brawl+ would sound pretentious to people who don't know that it meant brawl+mods, so I see where you are coming from. In either case, I think most of the commotion is over people not wanting the brawl they like to be replaced by something else. The same thing happened over melee vs brawl

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Any suffix on the title 'brawl' will always come across as sounding superior to the original, regardless of what it is. Adding a + on the end in particular implies that whatever Brawl was, this Brawl+ is more than that and therefore better
Since what Brawl+ is is more of a modification than an addition, I think the + is pretty misleading.

I also object to the usage of the term vBrawl to describe the original, unmodified version. Unlike Brawl+, vBrawl is clearly a slander, implying that the original is ordinary and boring and inferior.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Plus suggests a gain or an addition (in this case more options, more refined balance) -- that is its denotation. However, any connotation that this makes the game better is purely up to the player.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the term "Vanilla ______." Vanilla carries no connotations, it merely suggests being unmodified. This is standard fare for any game.

What do you want? "Brawl Different, But The Original's Good, Too, We're Not Hating on it, Trust Us"....?

^_^

IC3R

Smash Lord
Why don't we call it "Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Plus Edition"?

It can be shortened to Brawl: Plus Edition, which can be further shortened to Brawl+.

Sounds awesome :)

Besides, if we changed the name, I'd have to change my awesome sig and avatar D:

BEES

Smash Lord
Super Smash Bros. Skirmish would work, but they might use that name for the next game, so it's probably not safe.

I think it needs to be an acronym

Brawl with Advanced Tactical Strategies
*BATS*

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
I vote it be named "Brawl Better"

Seriously, though, Brawl+ is a short name that does a good job of summarizing what the project is while making clear the game the project modifies. It also makes it easy to denote when you are talking about the modded form for the game (Instead of saying "Link can use this strategy in Brawl NEWNAME," you can just say Link+ can use this strategy").

As far as I'm concerned, Brawl+ is just supposed to add to Brawl, fill in the holes that make Brawl's style of gameplay unappealing for a good segment of the competitive community. I simply have more fun playing it. That might sound arrogant, but seriously...can't people have opinions?

Sterowent

Smash Ace
hmm, a lot of this thread is awfully dismissive. I haven't seen much public debate on this, but i can see both points.

I could see where changing the name would have advantages. as mentioned, first early impressions when the project had some major modifications that didn't sit well with a majority of this site's brawl community(MAD, WDing) and the subsequent spreading of skepticism in the project as a whole, well...that still lingers it seems like. I couldn't say if it's waning a very noticeable amount or not at this point. I'll lean noticeable though.

However, the great advantages of not changing the name are ever-growing and will continue to do so. B+ has an established name in the community at this point. Sure, its influence isn't mountain moving, but the name is recognizable and widespread on youtube, at the least. Hell, some tourneys are using it as well. Not only that, but the name's simple and is easy to abbreviate, which is great on the ol' intarwebs.

There are disadvantages, but they're constant (edit: and older, which leans towards them eventually becoming stale) and won't be alleviated through a name change, since, at this point, complainers will still cling to the project as an Idea and not a name. Everyone using the name publicly somehow would be inconvenienced and some overall momentum the project has will be lost as well, i'd bet.

Am i missing something? i tried to be as factual as possible here rather than harsh, eheh.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
how about brawl unleashed?

OH I KNOW!

in the final version we add ganon's sword and falcon's yes! knee

then we call it, Brawl: Feat. Ganonforf with a SWORD and the HYESZ knee

XP

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I always thought Brawl+ was trying to be Melee 2.0

As for a new name, I don't really care since I havn't even played Brawl+ because nobody cares about the PAL codes.
What are you talkin about? There is a PAL codeset right under the other one in the Plussery. PAL players can play brawl+ too.

BEES

Smash Lord
It's not going to be changed. People have already accepted the name. Brawl+ sounds kind of arrogant. Probably should have chosen a different name initially, but it's too late now.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I don't play Brawl+. I don't like Brawl+. I don't care what the name of Brawl+ is or becomes.

That being said, I think you'd be better off leaving the name of Brawl+ as it is. I don't take offense to the name, as I understand you were trying to imply that "It's more than just Brawl" which is fair. This community has never been elitist, and should simply ignore people giving you a hard time for the name Brawl+. It's both easy to type and say, and everyone knows what it is. Convenient and popular, the name should just stay.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Pierce7d, not to go too far off topic, but by "I don't play Brawl+. I don't like Brawl+" you meant "I tried Brawl+, but didn't like it, so I won't continue to play it," right? Because that's totally respectable.

For a second there I almost thought you'd decided to not like it / never play it without actually trying it.

But your points about the name being easy and popular are very true.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
If we had to change it, I would change it to:

Super Smash Bros Brawl: Tournament Edition
Super Smash Bros Brawl: Turbo
Super Smash Bros Brawl: Hyper Fighting
Super Smash Bros Brawl: Remix

but Super Smash Bros Brawl Plus or Brawl+ is just fine. It's already become a well established name, so changing it would cause more problems than it's worth.

Frozt

Smash Apprentice

How about Super Smash Bros IV ? or Super Smash Bros Alpha 3 srsly >_>

Brawl+ is perfect as it is, it isn't cocky, it denotes Superiority and it IS Superior to vB

Sudai

Stuff here
The only truly bad thing about the name "Brawl+" as far as I can see is...it won't show up in search engines.

The average scrub at a tournament hears about Brawl+ but isn't guided in anyway. What do they do? Google! What does Google (or any search engine for that matter) return? "Brawl" results.

For those that aren't search engine savvy, "+" is a modifier within search engines and is used to link search criteria. When you search for "Pizza pie" it's the same as searching for "Pizza+Pie" because search engines view "pizza" and "pie" as two separate entries and converts the query to search for "pizza+pie" which we interpret as ["Pizza" as well as "pie"].

TL;DR - Fux with search engine results.

PS: My explanation probably didn't clear anything up for people that didn't get it already, but oh well. I tried. :x

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
The only truly bad thing about the name "Brawl+" as far as I can see is...it won't show up in search engines.

The average scrub at a tournament hears about Brawl+ but isn't guided in anyway. What do they do? Google! What does Google (or any search engine for that matter) return? "Brawl" results.

For those that aren't search engine savvy, "+" is a modifier within search engines and is used to link search criteria. When you search for "Pizza pie" it's the same as searching for "Pizza+Pie" because search engines view "pizza" and "pie" as two separate entries and converts the query to search for "pizza+pie" which we interpret as ["Pizza" as well as "pie"].

PS: My explanation probably didn't clear anything up for people that didn't get it already, but oh well. I tried. :x
i understand what your saying but if you search brawl+ on google or youtube you do get "brawl+" results and not just brawl. I wonder y?

Frozt

Smash Apprentice

Type "Brawl+" in Google and tell me what happens please

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Type "Brawl+" in Google and tell me what happens please
TOP HITS:

IGN Boards - Anyone hear about this Brawl+?
16 posts - 14 authors
While Melee is easily the better alternative to Brawl+, at least some people are making an attempt to make the game competitive. ...
boards.ign.com/super_smash_bros_/b5213/175806867/p1/ - 148k - Cached - Similar pages -

Brawl+ (Competitive Hacks): Codes, Videos, and Discussion (THREAD ...
15 posts - 8 authors - Last post: Oct 18, 2008
Brawl+ (Competitive Hacks): Codes, Videos, and Discussion (THREAD OUT OF DATE) General Brawl Discussion.
www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=200084 - 115k - Cached - Similar pages -

[Brawl+ Vids]

GameSpot Forums - Super Smash Bros. Brawl - What is Brawl+ ?
7 posts - 7 authors - Last post: Oct 22, 2008
It's talked about in different topics... But what is it?---"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad, people are either charming or ...
www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supersmashbros/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m- 1-46114758&pid=928518 - 70k - Cached - Similar pages -

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

I vote Super Smash Bros Brawl: Hyper Fighting Turbo Tournament Edition Remix

Top Bottom