• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Prevented from the MLG Floor

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
March 12, 2014 was a day of game-changing news for Super Smash Bros. fans. Major League Gaming (MLG) announced that Nintendo had given permission for Super Smash Bros. Melee, their 2001 GameCube hit, to be a featured title at MLG Anaheim 2014. Melee’s return at Anaheim marks its first appearance at MLG since 2006. (Edit: MLG supported Melee for a grassroots series in 2007, but the game was not added to the official 2007 Circuit. Credit to VGBC | Hax for the tip) Its players and followers couldn’t be happier--this marks another milestone in what has been an amazing era for Melee’s tournament life, studded with multiple major events and an eye-opening documentary that exposed an underground paradise to the common YouTube user.

Melee’s addition to MLG follows a nine-event international qualifier circuit and coincides with its return to EVO 2014 after a successful tournament last summer. This is especially awesome because neither MLG nor EVO nor the competitive Smash community has enjoyed any sort of a relationship with Nintendo before, and now the Big N is starting to hop on board.

The news wasn’t all good for fans of the Super Smash Bros. series, though. Brawl, the 2008 Wii sequel to Melee, was not announced as a part of the tournament at Anaheim. Despite Brawl’s appearance at almost all of the qualifier events, its presence on the 2010 MLG Pro Circuit, and MLG organizing equipment and funding for a Brawl tournament at Anaheim, it was not approved by Nintendo. Details are scarce at best, sketchy at worst. Neither Nintendo nor MLG has issued an official statement explaining the game’s disallowance. It is widely speculated that the problem lies entirely in Nintendo’s hands and that MLG actively wanted Brawl to be present at Anaheim, even offering to run the tournament entirely off-stream to avoid any licensing issues.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the stage at MLG Raleigh 2010​

MLG - Only Melee
An important question sticks out--why would Nintendo give the green light to Melee, but not Brawl? Both games have thriving tournament communities and sold millions of copies. With the release of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS on the horizon, any stream time for a Smash game means free advertising.

Discussing Melee’s recent victories, Nintendo said in a recent interview with Polygon “The fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee is being used to help determine champion status for competitive gamers so many years after it was released is a testament to the strong fan passion for both this individual game and the Super Smash Bros. franchise overall.” Why doesn’t this apply to Brawl!? The game has been out for six years and people still regularly host and attend tournaments for it, often right alongside Melee. Some people have projected the unlikely possibility that Sonic the Hedgehog or Solid Snake’s presence in Brawl is why Nintendo had to uniquely exclude it, but we cannot be sure without a statement.

This situation is extremely reminiscent of what happened last summer with Melee at EVO 2013--after donating over $95,000 to breast cancer research to earn a spot on the EVO lineup, the Melee tournament was almost jeopardized when Nintendo told EVO staff it couldn’t be featured on stream. Instantly, players and fans of all Smash games got to work with Tweeting hashtags like “#FreeMelee” or “#FreeSmash,” and calling Nintendo’s customer service hotlines to voice their discontent. Within a day, Nintendo reversed their decision, and Melee went on to break the record for fighting game stream viewership (before it was re-broken by Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 shortly after) at EVO.

Mango after a thrilling victory over Armada at EVO 2013

A Movement Rises
Immediately upon receiving the news about Brawl at Anaheim, the community jumped into action again. The hash tag “#FreeSSBB” was born. A podcast and the first internationally unifying Brawl Facebook group were created on the spot. Almost three weeks later, Nintendo and MLG have still not responded. The next course of action is unclear, but many members of the competitive community have continued trying to reach them by Tweeting the same hashtag, “#FreeSSBB,” @NintendoAmerica and @MLG.

One of the most important steps in achieving some sort of progress with corporate entities is to get as many people as possible involved in the movement. Fans interested in supporting the cause should use #FreeSSBB and Tweet about the movement. Melee has already proven that fans can make change happen, even with big companies like Nintendo. Brawl sold over 11 million copies worldwide, so the supporters are out there - it’s just a matter of reaching them and getting them to voice their opinions.

Being part of MLG is no joke. Presence at a major league event adds an air of dignity and legitimacy to a game. The Brawl community is full of passionate individuals who have worked hard at honing their craft and would love to bring it to the grand MLG stage. Tons of fans at home would love to watch the tournament live online. Many more would probably love the idea of a major league Smash tournament,but because of a shortage of events like MLG, they aren’t even aware of the existence of such a thing.

Max "juice.Doom" Krchmar is a Super Smash Bros. player, commentator, and event organizer in the Greater New York Area. Find him on most Saturdays at tournaments, petting his cats at any other time, or on Twitter @juiceDoom.

Last edited:

Max?

Smash Champion
Why would we want to revive and keep alive that dead boring game? The masses have spoken.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
This article needs to go places. And the guy above me should be ignored.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
To say that it's boring is nothing but an opinion, and to say that it's dead is just flat-out inaccurate.

I hope for the fans of Brawl that some ground can be covered, even though personally I'm indifferent. Smash growing in general is a good thing.

Last edited:
Apex 2014 had more entrants in Brawl Singles than Apex 2013.

Death is what that's called, obviously.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
You know what should be at MLG? Super Smash Bros. No, not Melee. No, not PM. And no, not Brawl. I'm talking about the original Smash. We are the long forgotten child. Forsaken from the spotlight. We are treated as mere side event scum hoping that we may be blessed with a spot in a tournament's lineup, and maybe – just maybe – blessed with stream time. When people see our game, people don't even know that there's Z-cancelling. This is a travesty. So I say to you Brawlers, that while you may have not been included in MLG's lineup this year, just know that 64, the forgotten child, has always had it a lot worse. Despite this, we will continue playing our little game by ourselves on whatever damn small corner a TO has assigned us to. Check your video game privilege.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
#FREESSBB
I always wondered why Nintendo is reluctant to let Brawl be played competitively, but lets its older brother to be at events. Whatever the case may be, we need to prove the community is not dying. There will be an era of dark ages in which the SSBB population at tournies plummet (like it did in SSBM), but hopefully there will be a rise due a documentary or some other tool.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Could someone explain to me why Brawl is 'dying'?

It's not going to at MLG this year but I don't see less Brawl events or anything of the sort.
People say this SSB4=death of SSBB. I don't agree, but that is the fear.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I have nothing against Brawl players (except the taunt partiers who ruined online) but Brawl as a smash game is a insult and slap in the face to me and lots of other players. The hate will never die until the game does. If you guys wanna play Brawl and support it I'm really cool with that, but I sure wont.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't really want this to become a thing about Brawl and Melee in their respective rights as games. I'd rather we discussed why Nintendo wouldn't allow it. Obviously they would realise the complaints of much of the casual and probably competitive players alike but all in, Brawl has a thriving and large community (no matter what anyone says, that fact will not change at the present) and, whether you like it or not, I think it's important that the players' intent and passion is heard. Objectivity here is what matters and that is the fact that most likely Nintendo did not support its inclusion when there are a heck load of players that do. So then obviously the question is why, and I don't think the answer to that question lies in the mechanics of either game.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
To be perfectly honest, Brawl has a large community but there is a problem. brawl. I watch all the three smash games (well 5 including SSB4/Project M.) The issue is others. I have seen multiple complaints of people about the very slow nature of the game.

For people who do not understand why the characters are that good at playing such a slow pace, it could potentially bore them. It is like watching to Ryu's throw Hadoukens but it lasts for potentially 5 or 6 or more minutes. Though it also has those moments like the ultra combos/etc. that make the SF4 matches exciting but then everything dies down again.

The game is fun, don't get my intentions wrong. It just is not a spectator's sport. I don't think certain matchups in 64 are good spectator sports either (like Kirby dittos or something similar.)

B-Ber

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrashyBrash
We really need to step up as a community and support this movement. I read so much brawl hate every day, and i love the game a lot. We are a SMASH community, that means ALL smash games, old and upcoming. This isn't just MELEEboards. imo, if we want to grow and thrive as a community, we have to support everything smash to get this going, and no johns about tripping and the like, because its more annoying to hear people whine about tripping, then actually tripping in the game. (I'm not saying this isnt a great community or anything, im just saying you cant spell community without UNITY)

I may be wrong, but this is just how i feel

Last edited:

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
too much being PC in the smash communities these days, weak ****. nintendo doesnt want brawl there because it sucks, time to learn a big boy game

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
I hope regardless of if you're a fan of Brawl or not, you find merit in supporting it's growth because of the passion we all share for the Smash series as a whole. Melee/PM/64/Brawl all have great communities, and the growth of one wont hurt the growth of another, i'd like to think were all one big smash family at the end of the day, I play/support every game. Personally, I dont have the time or energy to actively hate on something I dont care about,so lets try to stay positive and keep the discussion moving forward. #OneUnit #FreeSSBB

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
too much being PC in the smash communities these days, weak ****. nintendo doesnt want brawl there because it sucks, time to learn a big boy game
The stupidity/trolling is strong in this one.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I read this and figured Nintendo would rather be represented by melee than brawl. Something tells me they also worry slightly that Brawl will do to Smash4 what Melee has done since it came out, and that would be splitting the game's appeal between the differences in the games.

But All in all, I interpret this as nintendo wanting Smash 4 to make a grander showing than Brawl by de-hyping the previous game. IMO this is a bummer for brawl fans, but acceptable for those looking to bring SSB4 to the big stage down the road.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
I believe MLG and Ninty is testing the waters for now. They won't try and bet all in on this on their 1st try.

Look at Evo2013 and how it turned out for Melee on Evo2014. Evo2013 was a try, now Melee is autoly in for Evo2014.

Just keep up supporting Melee FOR NOW as the face of Smash. Keep the hype up for the Smash franchise, and surely the hype will trickle down to both 64, Brawl, Smash4 too.

GnOME

Smash Rookie
SSB4 + Project M = Slow death of SSBB.

I'm a long time Brawl fan, it's the samsh game that brought me to the series (having missed the melee hype not owning a gamecube) but Melee and Project M especially with it's higher number of viable characters, are more entertaining to both watch and play. Though I think there's an objective argument for that, it's an opinion shared by many and every smash player I know. The problem for Brawl is that competitive/hardcore gamers on the whole prefer Melee/Project M and Smash 4's release will only add to the list of reasons to play something other than Brawl. It simply offers considerably less and nothing that you can't experience in the other smash titles...

D

Deleted member

Let's just have Super Smash Bros Flash for MLG instead.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
They gave permission for Melee only. Don't assume that when they accept one game that means they'll accept the streaming of all of them.

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
Let's just have Super Smash Bros Flash for MLG instead.
SSF2 is actually legit, I'd be down for that. It's got Brawl movement and ledges but the moveset designs are like Brawl Minus meets PM and the physics/gravity are actually a bit faster than Melee.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Why would we want to revive and keep alive that dead boring game? The masses have spoken.
Because every new installment to the series (and any game series for that matter) is going to be "picture perfect", the only one to play, and is dropped off by the next one right? With people like you in the fandom, no wonder why Nintendo questions their games being in competitive environments. Just be thankful we have ANY Smash Bros game in MLG. Because even Melee was debatable to get in. Ever since its entry, Brawl has no intentions from Nintendo nor Sakurai to be truly competitive (it still is, but apparently they still don't want that).

AttackParty

Smash Rookie
Haha all the butthurt Brawl players. Look guys it's because when smash 4 comes out you're all going to drop Brawl. It will be a better game anyway. Nintendo realizes that Melee is a different breed, that kind of depth is not in their scope of what they're trying to make currently so they let us have our Melee, which by the way is like 15 years overdue. They want to make the smash with the most money not something that's hype when you play 1 vs 1. Enjoy playing your Brawl 2 while we're at MLG and Evo. :)

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
Just wait until smash bros 4 comes out guys hopefully the mechanics of the game are good and they take that triping nonsense out.

D

Deleted member

We need to fight for Brawl's civil rights. Why is Melee included in MLG, but not Brawl? Is this some type of disgusting segregation?

I say we March for Brawl's rights, this will not stand.

image.jpg

SkateyKnox

Smash Rookie
People watch MLG, they expect to see something exciting. Brawl may be fun for the people that play it and thats great for you all. but it doesnt deserve a place boring everyone on the MLG circuit. Its just not interesting to watch for someone who doesnt know what is going on.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Its just not interesting to watch for someone who doesnt know what is going on.
I don't think any game is interesting to watch if you don't understand the game. If I didn't play PM I wouldn't think it or Melee fun to watch at all.

Last edited:

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
What? This isn't the fear, this is the goal. New games replace old games, that's the lay of the land.

Also is there any word from MLG that confirms they even wanted to try and run Brawl? Because I've never seen it and it isn't linked in this article... maybe we shouldn't be throwing paper balls at Nintendo at the front of the class when the teacher never called our name in the first place.

Top Bottom