• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Prevented from the MLG Floor

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Is it really considered a glitch when the official website of smash at that time talked of Z-cancelling as a intentional in-game mechanic?

not a glitch.

My bad, I thought it was a glitch in 64. I guess I was wrong.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
You owned up to a mistake. This should happen more often on this website.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I think it will boil down to this: if the brawl community can convince nintendo to let them play brawl, then by all means, they deserve to have brawl in the tournament regardless if it is a good game or a bad game because either way, it has a strong community, and tournaments are expected to be made to see who is the best.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
What he means is that you can kill someone at any percent from comboing them to death, and this is easier to do against a low percent opponent. Whereas in Brawl, killing someone at low percent is exceedingly rare.
you said it yourself. you can kill someone in ANY PERCENT from comboing to death. it means, combos aren't really a comeback mechaninc. you can do it even when NOT making a comeback. you can do it when dominating.

what's worse, you said that it is easier to KO when an opponent is at a lower percentage! it means that the combo mechanic is a mechanic that is very HARMFUL to the COMEBACKING player!

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
One Smash, people! I don't like playing brawl, but respect to those who do, even if it isn't going to be on MLG

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
I'm sad to see that Nintendo still won't just let us enjoy our tourneys. I've never played a competitive game of brawl in my life, but I've still got mad respect for the guys who go out there and make a spectacle. I don't understand what Nintendo thinks they'd lose by allowing this.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I did say 'as diverse' Evo 2013 top 8 was 8 different characters. Close but not quite what I asked for. Try again.
Among all the years of Melee, EVO 2013 was the only year where the term diverse and Smash had any correlation. Most of Brawl's tournies are similar to the SKATR 2 results on a regular basis.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I did say 'as diverse' Evo 2013 top 8 was 8 different characters. Close but not quite what I asked for. Try again.
According to the results thread it's 7 characters as opposed brawl's 6 which is pretty negligible especially for this argument since the whole point was to show brawl can get diverse results too which it did, not show that a top brawl tournament could be more diverse than a top melee tournament which is a pretty weak argument in the first place

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
A DK got 9th a SKTAR2. thought that was worth mentioning too. Since you brought up the yoshi placing.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Again, can you show me a Melee tourney where a high tier, not top tier, won a major?

Asura

Smash Rookie
that you find it boring, ok... but why hate it? It's not that you HAVE TO play it or something... as a child it was dissapointing to you? you must be some spoiled little... never mind...
I'm 19 years old now so I got in touch with Melee from an early age on(through my older brother) and I remember how enthusiastic we were playing the in multiplayer for hours, characters were unlocked ''randomly'' and we celebratet how the winner fought against the new character and after all characters were unlocked we keept on playing to become better at the game etc. Some years later Brawl was anounced and we were hyped so much we couldn't wait for the reales. Everyday we looked at the official site, hoping for a new character and stuff we hyped the whole town. And than the realese . . . My brother had to import the game cause it came like a half year later at europe. The call of my brother '' The game is here !'' I took my bike and rushed as fast as i could to him. We played it - subspace emissary, it wasn't that bad we had fun do doubt but it took us not a single day and we were finished. Allmost every character were unlocked we tried the other modes, nothing special. We took a look at the ultra smashes . . . Done. So we tried playing against each other. My brother were allways better than me but this time it was different it was allmost like we won randomly we noticed how that game was way slower and there was this awkward tripping. I could see the dissapoint in my brothers eyes and I wasn't satisfied with winning against him without even giving it everything. Friends came to us and wanted to play it to cause we were one of the few people having it already. We had to play with them cause we knew how excited they were. But in fact we didn't even want to play it anymore. And the more we Played it the more we started to hate it all our excitement converted in to dissapointment. . .
Sorry for the long story but i guess you didn't understand why so many people hate Brawl. Even if it's just a game the feelings aspecially for children a real.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
just because you unlock the characters faster than melee is not an excuse to hate tyhe game... tripping, ok, that was a bad move from sakurai... wordt one ever, but still that didn't made me hate the game. I loved brawl in so many ways, and especially for the wide variety of music which was mostly orchestrated, the nice stages that brawl had to offer, the subspace, which i find to be pretty amusing, the wide variety of characters compared to melee... I never had any problem with the speed, the battlesystem or whatsoever. I just accept the game as it is and i play with it. I don;t compare it with melee all the time, like most people do.

Bizzerk

Smash Rookie
I hate playing Brawl, I don't hate Brawl. I hate the tripping mechanic and the removal of tech skill like I have to practice and learn in melee. That doesn't mean I have to hate on people who like Brawl. I'm not going to demand Brawl be an MLG event but I won't try to stop the Brawl community from accomplishing their goals. I do think a majority of the Brawl scene will ditch Brawl once 4 comes out (since tripping is getting removed) but who knows.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Yes, 4 is gonna overshadow brawl for sure. It's a shame so many people dislike brawl... most of all it is the tripping thing i hear and the stunningtime as an excuse, but it's just because of melee that people dislike brawl. If the games were released in reversed order, it would all be good i guess... Still i find brawl better...

Asura

Smash Rookie
just because you unlock the characters faster than melee is not an excuse to hate tyhe game... tripping, ok, that was a bad move from sakurai... wordt one ever, but still that didn't made me hate the game. I loved brawl in so many ways, and especially for the wide variety of music which was mostly orchestrated, the nice stages that brawl had to offer, the subspace, which i find to be pretty amusing, the wide variety of characters compared to melee... I never had any problem with the speed, the battlesystem or whatsoever. I just accept the game as it is and i play with it. I don;t compare it with melee all the time, like most people do.
I think we just had different experiences with Brawl. Like I said I liked Brawl at the beginning, the new modes, Music(great!) etc but that excitement didn't have so much sustainability. I consider it as a good or even great game but it has the probleme that it is the following part of a Master Piece that has fascinated people for over a decade now. It's probably my foult that i had such high hopes for Brawl. I guess thats how kids are and today i can't resist the feelings that were build when I was younger and I can't even watch Pro-Brawl-Matches because I dislike the game that much for not beeing like Melee(for me tripping isn't the worst part, it's more how slow everything is and the few oppertunities you have overall compaired to melee). Good for you that you still can enjoy Brawl and I definitely don't want to take that joy of you.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Look, as much as I dislike brawl and at times the brawl community, that's messed up what Nintendo did. If they treat their fans like this, why should anyone continue buying their products? Video game companies should not have the right to censor simple streaming of a game, people bought their product and should have the right to stream its gameplay. There is something very wrong in the way businesses are lobbying lawmakers. All video game communities should unite to prevent atrocities like this from happening again, I am at least glad there was enough backlash to reallow Melee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom