• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Picks #3: Vaati vs Skull Kid

Who is your brawl pick?

• Vaati

Votes: 60 44.4%
  • Skull Kid

Votes: 75 55.6%

• Total voters

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
The Skull Kid that appeared in OoT and TP is the same Skull Kid from Majora's Mask. Well... I don't really know about the TP Skull Kid since I've never played it but I do know that the one from OoT is the same as the one in Majora's Mask.
Look, I know that the MM Skull Kid is the same one from OoT, but I'm pretty sure that the TP Skull Kid is a completely different character.

Therefore, I am right; Vaati HAS appeared in more games.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Uh, I choose Vaati, cause he's Ballin'.

And McFox makes me sad :(

myself said:
Attributes:

Speed: 3/5
Size: 3/5
Weight: 2.5/5
Traction: 2/5
Power: 4/5
Fall Speed (Gravity): 2/5

Moves:

A: Backhand punch: Vaati jerks his hists quickly to the right
A,A: Kick: Spins clockwise and kicks with his left foot. Ends facing the other direction if A is not pressed again.
A,A,A: After spinning, he lunges forward with a final punch
Dash A: Bends over, and thrusts wind out from his palms (like if you were doing a cartwarl). He then flips once and comes down with a double kick (See Yunsung's ^K From Soul Calibur 2)

>A: Bends his knees and punches with his right hand. If the opponent is out of range (But still close), they will be blown backward a small amount
vA: Stands on one bent leg and thrusts the other outward (has upward+outward knockback)
^A: Extends his arm upward, and anyone above him is blown upward further, preventing strikes from above.

Forward Smash: Vaati Bends his knee, taking a balancing stance. When released, he will thrust the bent leg down to the ground, spin on it, and strongly jerk his other leg outward (last part look's like C. Falcon's from SSB64)
Down Smash: Vaati crosses his arms and quickly jerks them toward the ground. Two balls of energy/air will appear near the ground (like Mewtwo's Dsmash, but on both sides) and knock away enemies.
Up Smash: Stands on one hand briefly and launches himself off the ground, kicking opponents above him, and then lands.

Nair: Spins quickly and does a sex kick. This works like Dr Mario's by that the longer it's out, the stronger it gets.
Fair: Swings his right arm diagonally and releases a small batch of burning embers outward a short distance.
Bair: Spins around counterclockwise, with Right leg extended, hitting opponents behind him and spinning back around.
Uair: Releases a small gust beneath him and rises a (Very) small distance while performing an uppercut.
Dair: Bends his arms and legs in, and then stretches them out (like Ness), If an opponent is out of range (but still close) it will blow the slightly downward. If It connects directly, it is a meteor smash.

Specials:

Neutral B: Energy blast: Vaati will hold his Right hand at shoulder height, clawing his fingers. A small energy ball will begin to appear in his hand. Max charge time is equal t Samus's charge shot, but you can stop anytime. When you are done charging, he will carry it in his right hand. You can also fire it upward or downward, delivering some special effects. When Fired, it will be one of three blasts.....
Air: More common then the other two, this blast will quickly fly in a straight path until it hits something, delivering mid-high knockback and low damage. Fired up it will create a small vortex around him, sucking opponents in. When fired down, Vaati will blast himself upward, which can be used as an alternate recovery move.
Fire: Less common than air, this blast will start at a high speed, but slow down and fall as it flies through the air. When it hits the opponent, it will explode, delivering decent damage and knockback. When Fired up, Vaati will extend his arms and fire a fire beam upward (think plasma beam in Metroid Prime), when Fired down, Vaati will be engulfed in flames for a second.
Stone: This blast is rarer than the first two, but not the least common. When released, it will fly at a mid-slow speed until it its something. If it hits an enemy, it will turn them to stone for a short time, depending on their damage and button mashing. During this time they can't do ANYTHING. Hitting them with any attack that does over 10% damage will free them. Firing it upward will,.... well...... fire it upward. Firing downward however, will Turn Vaati into stone (like Kirby's downB), but cannot be cancelled out of and cannot be grabbed. You have to get ut like your enemies would. Stun time afterward is less as a tradeup. If it hits an Airbourne opponent, it will not turn them to stone, but just deliver knockback like the fire blast
Lightning: The least common of the three, this will fly in an eratic and unpredictable path until it makes contact with something. When it hits an opponent, it will shock them for a short time, and deliver high damage and knockback. When Fired up, it will create a small lightning strike (like Pikachu's, but a little weaker.) When fired down, Vaati will create a web of electircity around him (below him in the air)
You will be able to tell which blast it is when it is fully charged.

Forward B: Wind Shove: Vaati will bring his arms inward and shove them forward. This releases a powerful gust of wind, blowing away opponents. If an Airbourne opponent is hit by this, it will give them their Up-B back. If used in te air, it will push Vaati backward slightly.

Down B: Twister: Vaati will extend his hands upward, and call down a tornado from the sky. It will not pass through platforms. Once it reaches ground, Vaati will be able to control it to a certain degree. Tilting the control stick to the left or right will bend the twister slightly. When an opponent get's too close, it will suck them in and deliver damage like Young Link's Up-B. It will also suck in nearby items and swirl them around, throwing some out occaisionally. If opponents are in the twister with items flying around, they will do extra damage. The tornado will lastup to 5 seconds. When it ends, it will send out opponents in random directions.

Up B: Sonic Boom: Vaati will stop in the air for a moment, and bring in his arms. Then he will fling them backward and blow a powerful blast oif wind/sonicboom behind him. This will propel him upward at a high speed. Goes for a distance like the Firefox, but has limited maneuverability (curve a little in tilted direction) Those hit will be flung in the opposite direction while receiving damage. During the beginning animation (bringing arms in) he will have some stun resistance.

Throws:

Grab: Vaati extends his hand, and a gust of wind comes toward him, bringing in an opponent with the range of Marth's grab (**** the range!! xD)

Attack: Vaati will jerk the victim around while hitting them with alternating attacks of Wind, Fire, and Lighting.

Up: Vaati throws the opponent upward, and then extends his arm upward, delivering the real knockback with a gust of wind.

Forward: Vaati withdraws his arms from the enemy and then thrusts both palms into them (Dare i say it... like in DBZ....), blowing the victim away with considerable force.

Back: Grabs the opponent, and rolls backward. When on his back, he does a handstand kick and launches in the air. While airbourne, he spins around and swings his arms downward, blowing a crecent of wind to knock the opponent back farther.

Down: Vaati jums on the victim's chest, and jumps off backward (think Lei's grab from Tekken 3, or the Falcon dive (not so much the falcon dive, but you know what I mean)), while hitting them to the ground. Then he fires a ball of lightning back at the opponent, which shocks them and launches them a small amount in the air.

Misc.:

Get-Up attack:
-Under 100%: Vaati jumps up and does a propellar kick, spinning twice in the air.
-Over 100%: Vaati Struggles to ge on his back, blows gusts of air from his hands (blowing away opponents) and the gets up.

Edge Attack:
-Under 100%: Flips up from the edge and kicks opponents before sticking a landing.
-Over 100%: Struggles to pull self up, when arms are above the ledge, he blows away opponents with a gust of wind, and the climbs up.

Super Smash!
Vaati will transform into his first form from the Minish Cap (sorcerer with a long cape covering a mysterious eyeball) and small spider like creatures will appear covered in darkness. They will scatter off of the stage and around it. They will then begin firing Red lasers onto the stage. These will knock opponents back farther than the master hands lasers and do more damage. There will be around 10 lasers sweeping across the entire stage for about 10 seconds. During this time Vaati will also release embers in every direction. The lasers will not pass through platforms.

YEAH, I REPOSTED MY MOVESET! WHATCHA GONNA DO 'BOUT IT!!??

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I voted Vaati because he would probably have a totally original and awesome moveset.
And Skull Kid wouldn't? They both have great potential, and Sakurai tends to do a great job with "inventing" movesets for characters who didn't have one that practically wrote itself, so either one would come out great if they made it.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Well one of the Skull kids from OoT appeared in Majora's mask, there were 3 that appeared in OoT.

2 played a orcarina song with you, and you played it back to get a heartpiece.

The other one would appear on a tree stump, and would give you a heartpiece if you played Saria's song to cheer him up. ((This one is the one that people assume is the skull kid that appears in Majora's Mask))

The one in TP I don't know much about him I haven't played the game. But the TP Skull kid appears around the same area that the orginal Skull kids were seen around in OoT. ((at least from what I have heard))

All the characters got a differen't apperance in TP, So why isn't it possible that it is the same Skull Kid with a different look? = |

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Look, I know that the MM Skull Kid is the same one from OoT, but I'm pretty sure that the TP Skull Kid is a completely different character.

Therefore, I am right; Vaati HAS appeared in more games.
It is strongly implied that the TP Skull Kid is the same one from OoT and MM. In OoT, Link teaches the Skull Kid Saria's song - the same song that the Skull Kid plays on his horn during his game of hide and seek in TP. Coincidence? I think not.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Too be honest, I want both in. They both could have original movesets and both add more villians and people with cool movesets.

If I could find a Skull Kid stampy-thing, I would totally put it in my sig.

However, Vaati gets my vote.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
skull kid is awesome and is more minor than vaati, and sakurai is going for under repped minority characters.
uh....isnt that under repped francises? in which case vaati would have a better shot due to the under represtation of the handheld zelda games. by under, i mean, lack of.

anyway, to everyone who voted for skull kid because hes cool cos hes possessed, thats stupid. if they put him in, do you honestly believe they'll put in the majora's mask version? no they'll put in the stupid fool from TP who constantly runs away and gets shot by a lot of arrows. furthermore, how can you still like him after TP? the 2 parts of that game that he was in were the most dull and repetetive bits of that game. seriously.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
uh....isnt that under repped francises? in which case vaati would have a better shot due to the under represtation of the handheld zelda games. by under, i mean, lack of.

anyway, to everyone who voted for skull kid because hes cool cos hes possessed, thats stupid. if they put him in, do you honestly believe they'll put in the majora's mask version? no they'll put in the stupid fool from TP who constantly runs away and gets shot by a lot of arrows. furthermore, how can you still like him after TP? the 2 parts of that game that he was in were the most dull and repetetive bits of that game. seriously.

If they did put him in yeah I do belive he would be in his majora's mask form, because that was when he was most known, and popular.

Why does everyone say that? seriously since TP came out its always "They will use the most recent form" BS. What proof do you have for this? Just because Link is in his TP form, wow. Yeah must characters are getting their most recent appearances, but that doesn't mean that all of them will.

Oh, and if we are judging games, then lets take a look at the Pichu's exciting role in pokemon.

Using your logic of most recent forms, then if megaman makes it in brawl we will see this...

^^ And hells no! He would never be in that form if he made it in. He would appear in his classic form, or his X form.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
If they did put him in yeah I do belive he would be in his majora's mask form, because that was when he was most known, and popular.

Why does everyone say that? seriously since TP came out its always "They will use the most recent form" BS. What proof do you have for this? Just because Link is in his TP form, wow. Yeah must characters are getting their most recent appearances, but that doesn't mean that all of them will.

Oh, and if we are judging games, then lets take a look at the Pichu's exciting role in pokemon.

Using your logic of most recent forms, then if megaman makes it in brawl we will see this...

^^ And hells no! He would never be in that form if he made it in. He would appear in his classic form, or his X form.
sighs

of course i dont have any proof, i just have what i've seen so far. link in his TP form, snake in his mgs2 form (mgs3 is NOT the most recent game with the snake we all know, that was big boss, whome snake was cloned from), wario in his warioware outfit, samus in her prime/zero mission suit, zero suit looking like she did in echoes and zero mission. in addition to every character from melee appearing in their most recent forms (theres probably an exception but i cant be bothered thinking about it). the other confirmed characters its difficult to say (when has pikachu ever looked different, or kirby for that matter) and pit is an exception because he last appeared as about 3 pixels, and also because including him as a character is most likely an attempt by nintendo to revitalise his francise. use your brains, why would they not use the most recent form of each character? also, as to your megaman argument, ill skip over the part where i point out that megaman is not confirmed in ANY way and say hypothetically if he was, they may well use his old school look because:

a) back then his games where good

b) back then his games where made for the nintendo system of the time (NES ans SNES).

bluebomber22

Smash Champion

We don't speak of that mega man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the horror...the horror.....:urg:

:runs away and cries::embarrass

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
sighs

of course i dont have any proof, i just have what i've seen so far. link in his TP form, snake in his mgs2 form (mgs3 is NOT the most recent game with the snake we all know, that was big boss, whome snake was cloned from), wario in his warioware outfit, samus in her prime/zero mission suit, zero suit looking like she did in echoes and zero mission. in addition to every character from melee appearing in their most recent forms (theres probably an exception but i cant be bothered thinking about it). the other confirmed characters its difficult to say (when has pikachu ever looked different, or kirby for that matter) and pit is an exception because he last appeared as about 3 pixels, and also because including him as a character is most likely an attempt by nintendo to revitalise his francise. use your brains, why would they not use the most recent form of each character? also, as to your megaman argument, ill skip over the part where i point out that megaman is not confirmed in ANY way and say hypothetically if he was, they may well use his old school look because:

a) back then his games where good

b) back then his games where made for the nintendo system of the time (NES ans SNES).
Of course most characters will appear in their most recent forms, but that doesn't mean that all of them will.

Pit had a trophy in melee they could have made him like that for brawl, but they didn't. They completly redid him, because they choose to. Or to bring back the series like you said. ((or maybe because very few people liked the way he looked on his trophy))

Fox's apperance is a mixture of Star fox 64, and Command designs.

So they choose to mod fox's apperance, and redid Pit ((He was a child in Kid icarus, and would grow into an adult at the end of the game. Sio they made him older for brawl)) So they choose to alter their forms to their liking what is stopping them from using an old form of a character?

That shows that the staff can have opioions, and can make desicions.

Exactly they would use megaman's classic look, because that was when he was popular and most known.((btw that is why I said "then if megaman makes it in brawl we will see this..." Much emphasis on the IF))

And that megaman I posted is a DS exclusive not showing up on another system. And the exe form is a nintendo exclusive as well.

^^ So the whole when it was made for a nintendo system thing doesn't mean much.
And when his games are good is an opinion.

Now "hypotheticaly" why use Skull Kids Majoras Mask form?

A) When he was a villian
B) When he was at his popular point
C) His most signifacant appearance.

Reasons to use his TP form?
A) Most recent form

Now which one sounds better to use a form no one will like with no reasons beyond the fact of most recent form, or the classic look with many reasons behind it?

@bluebomber22, sorry I know it is horrible, but I was trying to make a point that choosing recent forms isn't always for the best. X_x

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
@ the orange bit:

there is a difference between updating a character that hasnt been in a game since 1986 or using a hybrid of a characters most RECENT costumes and using an older character who has a more recent appearance.

@ the blue bit:

i really couldnt be bothered dong much megaman research and i've only played a few of his games (X, X2 and X8). believe me, X and X2 had it all over X8. however, considering there has been no confirmation on megaman whatsoever this argument is fairly redundant.

@ the yellow bit:

well whoopdeedoo to those 3 points. i'd like to use an example to show why thats silly but its dinner time so:

Vaati: is popular now, has 3 significant appearances, IS and always will be a true villian and always will be, not some flute playing hippie, and has a most recent form that isnt silly to look at.

so HYPOTHETICALLY why not use vaati?

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
@ the orange bit:

there is a difference between updating a character that hasnt been in a game since 1986 or using a hybrid of a characters most RECENT costumes and using an older character who has a more recent appearance.

@ the blue bit:

i really couldnt be bothered dong much megaman research and i've only played a few of his games (X, X2 and X8). believe me, X and X2 had it all over X8. however, considering there has been no confirmation on megaman whatsoever this argument is fairly redundant.

@ the yellow bit:

well whoopdeedoo to those 3 points. i'd like to use an example to show why thats silly but its dinner time so:

Vaati: is popular now, has 3 significant appearances, IS and always will be a true villian and always will be, not some flute playing hippie, and has a most recent form that isnt silly to look at.

so HYPOTHETICALLY why not use vaati?
Pit's last apperance was in 1991 in Kid Icarus, Myths and Monsters. ((And I didn't have to look that up)). That is if you arn't counting the whole trophy in melee where they had him in a 3d form.

So yeah updating them is different, but the point was they choose to make them different. So they actualy have thought behind what they are doing.

Now the megaman stuff was merly an example that I used in order to point out that using current forms of a character isn't always the best option. An example is not redundant if you are trying to use it to prove a point.

In no way did I say vaati wasn't deserving for brawl, you are just merly turing the subject onto him. This whole diisscusion we are having was about using Skull Kids MM form over his TP form not about vaati

So why change the subject if you don't feel like continuing the one we are currently having?

Anyways, I am going to bed.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
Pit's last apperance was in 1991 in Kid Icarus, Myths and Monsters. ((And I didn't have to look that up)). That is if you arn't counting the whole trophy in melee where they had him in a 3d form.
not entirely sure thats relevant. comparing pit and skull kid is ridiulous with the intent of proving that skull kid can have his MM look. they updated pit because he looked lame (the trophy is basically just a 3D version of his old self) and he hadnt been in a game for ages (91 or 86, who gives a stuff, it was ages ago).

So yeah updating them is different, but the point was they choose to make them different. So they actualy have thought behind what they are doing.
they think about what they're doing? no way! the first sentence of this quote just proves you know your pit argument is irrelevant, so give it up.

Now the megaman stuff was merly an example that I used in order to point out that using current forms of a character isn't always the best option. An example is not redundant if you are trying to use it to prove a point.
no it is redundant, because while it may be widely hoped for that megaman will make it into brawl, there is no proof at this point, so this argument is useless aswell, which is a shame because it almost led credability to your argument....if only it wasnt all completely based on whimsy.

In no way did I say vaati wasn't deserving for brawl, you are just merly turing the subject onto him. This whole diisscusion we are having was about using Skull Kids MM form over his TP form not about vaati
your right, and i never said you did, i was merely using the opportunity to point out why (using your own guidelines) why vaati is a more deserving and appropraite character for brawl.

So why change the subject if you don't feel like continuing the one we are currently having?
because the argument we are currently having is all about you hoping that he will appear in a form that holds some nostalgia for a few people, but isnt really congruent with what they are doing in brawl at the moment. show me a character in brawl that uses their not-most-recent-look and maybe you'll have a case, but otherwise, you're clutching at straws.

Anyways, I am going to bed.
sweet dreams.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Wow, I'm sorry Dynamic, but you need to listen to logic. How can you claim his argument about Megaman is irrelevant just because Megaman might not appear in the game? The theory behind the argument still holds true, which makes it a very valid point that you can't refute. Whenever D3monicWolv3s made a good point, you would just say:

dynamic_entry said:
well whoopdeedoo to those 3 points
and then proceed to make an excuse about how you can't respond because it is dinner. How about instead of trolling this kid you sit down and listen to reason, then act like a mature person.

Huh, back on topic, they both have a moderate shot at being placed it, both were relevant to the series in their own rights, but Skull Kid's recent appearance showed that he is still being used in games (yes, the Skull Kid you play Saria's song to is the same one that was in MM, and it is suggested he is the one in TP as well, just so everyone has that clear) and despite Vaati being a stronger element on the storyline, it is not guaranteed that he will even return to the series, it is just speculation.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I'm not going to vote because there is absolutely no chance, in my opinion, that either of them had a shot of being placed into the roster. First of all, neither of them are as important to the Zelda franchise as a lot of people want to make them out to be. To be honest, I never even knew who Vaati was until I came to this board and heard people talking about him. Second, there are already a plethora of Zelda characters in Smash (assuming Ganon, Zelda, and Young Link all remained, which seems very likely), so the Zelda franchise in all likelihood only got one or at the most two more characters. That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that that spot(s) went to Tingle, a veritable staple of the series appearing in every game (save for one) since Majora's Mask, and who recently became the star of his own game, and/or Midna, one of the most important and popular characters from the most recent iteration of the franchise (the very same criteria that allowed Sheik to appear in Melee.)

So, yeah. No Vaati or Skull Kid. It's not gonna happen.:p

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
Wow, I'm sorry Dynamic, but you need to listen to logic. How can you claim his argument about Megaman is irrelevant just because Megaman might not appear in the game? The theory behind the argument still holds true, which makes it a very valid point that you can't refute. Whenever D3monicWolv3s made a good point, you would just say:
no seriously, the megaman thing isnt relevant. his arguemtn was that skull kid could concievably be in brawl in a form that is not recent. to prove it, he said megaman would have to appear in one of his stupid newer incarnations. now im of the opinion that the earlier megaman games were better, and should be represented as opposed to his newer model, and that may well happen, but all the evidence up unitil this point indicates that sakurai is going to use the more recent models of characters he incorporates on top of the fact that it is NOT, in any way shape or form, confirmed, even partially to my knowledge, that megaman will be in brawl. so how is his opinion (and coincidentally mine too) that the better incarnation of an unconfirmed, indeed purely speculated character relevant to proving his point?

and then proceed to make an excuse about how you can't respond because it is dinner. How about instead of trolling this kid you sit down and listen to reason, then act like a mature person.
im sorry, did you just tell me to blow off dinner? that wouldnt make me a mature person now would it?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
@dynamic: The character suggestion is not for Skull Kid, rather Majora's Mask. But, Majora's Mask needs a host body and calling that character Majora's Mask wouldn't be practical so we're calling him Skull Kid and I would assume the SSBB staff would too.

So since we are talking about Majora's Mask and not Skull Kid, they wouldn't use his most recent appearence. Sure, we could suggest Majora's Wrath but that character would be awkward so we are using his Skull Kid form.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Plus Majora's Wrath is ugly as sin while Skull Kid wearing the Mask actually looks pretty cool.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
no seriously, the megaman thing isnt relevant. his arguemtn was that skull kid could concievably be in brawl in a form that is not recent. to prove it, he said megaman would have to appear in one of his stupid newer incarnations. now im of the opinion that the earlier megaman games were better, and should be represented as opposed to his newer model, and that may well happen, but all the evidence up unitil this point indicates that sakurai is going to use the more recent models of characters he incorporates on top of the fact that it is NOT, in any way shape or form, confirmed, even partially to my knowledge, that megaman will be in brawl. so how is his opinion (and coincidentally mine too) that the better incarnation of an unconfirmed, indeed purely speculated character relevant to proving his point?
It's relevant because it has nothing to do with Megaman as a character. He is giving an example of how a character who COULD appear in Smash would certainly not be given a more recent outfit due to the fact of when they were popular. This is mainly the case with less important characters since they were only major in one form, for which they became known. Characters such as Link and Zelda have appeared so often that Sakurai would use a recent form because there is no tie to the character in a specific form. Skull Kid is linked most commonly with Majora so it would be natural to use that outfit, just like Megaman is most often linked with his earlier incarnations. That was the point.

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
I just broke the tie, Skull Kid is now in the lead by one vote- however i dont care for either of them that much...

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Skull Kid hands down. If I recall, they are both in three titles and I do like them both but I just think Skull Kid would make a better character. He obliviously would have Majoras Mask to enable his powers, would probably always levitate, taking he would be quick and powerful and taking he would have ESP recovery system like Mewtwos second jump or something. I don't know, it is based on who you like more and mine is Skull Kid.
Side Note: Skull Kid was in TP enhancing his chances and we aren't sure if Vaati is in PH so we can't speculate that for a fact. Also, don't go make a moveset for Vaati because I can make a good one as well. They could easily both have great movesets.

PS...if I had the choice though, I would pick Tingle for newest Zelda character.

PSS...We could always have the Moonwalking Majora in.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Side Note: Skull Kid was in TP enhancing his chances and we aren't sure if Vaati is in PH so we can't speculate that for a fact. Also, don't go make a moveset for Vaati because I can make a good one as well. They could easily both have great movesets.
Skull kid was a pretty minor character in TP. All he did was jump around and annoy me. Vaati, on the other hand, was the main antagonist in three games.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yes I am aware of that but he did make an appearance. He wasn't a pointless role in TP but also not major. Now Vaati did star a major antagonist in three games whereas Skull Kid only one. Though he was in the best Zelda game OoT, Major in WW, and then TP that MM still gave him all his popularities. Now I am not saying Vaati has no chance over Skull Kid, he does have a shot but I think Skull Kid has more of one. I am sure most people know Skull Kid over Vaati(popularity factor) so that may give him more of a shot though, Vaati can pull off a WTF character not to many new schoolers new like G&W. We can easily pick at this all day and give each of our choices(our point of view) and edge but it can possibly be a 50-50 chance.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Wow 40-40 theyre even, I choose vaati cause im realistic, Id give anything for SK to be in brawl, but its been 10 or so years since MM, I doubt he'll be added this time around...

burrito

Smash Lord
Also, I don't think it's even "possible" that he turns out the bad guy of Phantom Hourglass... due to the timeline and stuff. Unless Minish Cap is shoved somewhere inbetween OoT and WW, I guess. o_0
Vaati is like Gannondorf. He lives on through generations, so he can be battled no matter when the game takes place. The Four Swords games take place a long time after The Minish Cap yet he is still there to be battled.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vaati is the antagonist of Phantom Hourglass. Considering that Phantom Hourglass was originally going to be a Four Swords game and Vaati is the main antagonist of the Four Swords series. I think that Vaati is going to be gradually made into a more major character, yet we probably won't ever see Skull Kid as a major antagonist ever again. Maybe, we will even get to see Vaati in an upcoming 3D Zelda game. That would be nice.

People who say Midna has a better chance. What are you smoking? Why Midna? She just showed up in one game and we have no reason to see her again. Adding Midna is like adding The King of Red Lions.

I do expect to see cel shaded Link, though. If there any other Zelda characters, I think it will be Vaati. So, I vote for Vaati.

Edit: Oh, plus, I think we might see Tingle. Since he's recently become the playable character in his own game series.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Oh thank you. Though I think Skull Kid has more of a shot I can't believe someone finally agrees with Tingle as a character. He has a chance. Though he wasn't in TP, you know he is popular because since MM, he has been in every Zelda except for TP. And since PH is WW era and Tingle was in WW, he may be in that too. Plus he has had two of his own games and is uber popular in Japan. Whether you like him or not, he has a chance and if he makes it, you know who my new main will be.
PS: Tingle had a game before Freshly Picked Rose Colored Rupee Land. It was something about balloons.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Vaati is like Gannondorf. He lives on through generations, so he can be battled no matter when the game takes place. The Four Swords games take place a long time after The Minish Cap yet he is still there to be battled.
Ehh, sure. But that's not what I meant.

The chronology, as far as I know, starts with OoT, then splits up into two paths due to the time paradox. WW follows pretty much directly after OoT. I doubt that Minish Cap, which gave birth to Vaati, could have happened inbetween, or even before OoT.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Though that is true doesn't exactly give him the spot. Though he has had a bigger role over Skull Kid 2/3, they have been in the same amount of titles and Skull Kid was more recent. The only way I see Vaati getting in is if he is the big boss of PH and we don't know yet so we have no fact. Heck, for all we know neither of them will get in. Hopefully one will. In fact, I never said that.

On a side note, Vaati has been a Major but only in hand held titles whereas Skull kid and antagonist in MM, and a role in OoT and TP.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
@dynamic: The character suggestion is not for Skull Kid, rather Majora's Mask. But, Majora's Mask needs a host body and calling that character Majora's Mask wouldn't be practical so we're calling him Skull Kid and I would assume the SSBB staff would too.

So since we are talking about Majora's Mask and not Skull Kid, they wouldn't use his most recent appearence. Sure, we could suggest Majora's Wrath but that character would be awkward so we are using his Skull Kid form.
you contradicted yourself. when the arguement is "vaati's appeared in more games" you say, "skull kid's appeared in three also", and now, because it suits you, you say "we only want majora's mask". well majora's mask hasnt appeared in three games.

@ skyshroud:

dude, give me SOME proof. your argument is still just sakurai could, and sakurai might. you:

a) have no proof megaman is in the game, and

b) have no proof that sakurai would use an earlier incarnation of him. you're just saying that because its what you want, but up to this point, sakurai has ALWAYS used the most recent from of characters, and why wouldnt he?

look, my argument from the beginning was people who want skull kid should consider the fact that if he's put in, they will most likely (based on all the EVIDENCE) use his TP form, and should vote accordingly. your argument is basically, well, i dont like his TP form, so their gonna hafta to put is MM form in.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
@dynamtic: I also said that being in more games doesn't neccessarilly mean anything. But before you continue, listen to my reasoning for voting for him.

The question on the poll is: "Who is your brawl pick?" not "Who is more likely?"

I voted for Skull Kid because I, personally, prefer him over Vaati. I'll admit that Vaati is more likely, this is true, but I like Skull Kid so I voted for him. Not every character you support for Brawl has to be likely. Ultimately, ANY Nintendo character can get in and it's fun to dream...

I doubt arguing over who deserves to get in more will influence Sakurai's decisions in any way so it's all just for fun.

Pip

Smash Apprentice
you contradicted yourself. when the arguement is "vaati's appeared in more games" you say, "skull kid's appeared in three also", and now, because it suits you, you say "we only want majora's mask". well majora's mask hasnt appeared in three games.

@ skyshroud:

dude, give me SOME proof. your argument is still just sakurai could, and sakurai might. you:

a) have no proof megaman is in the game, and

b) have no proof that sakurai would use an earlier incarnation of him. you're just saying that because its what you want, but up to this point, sakurai has ALWAYS used the most recent from of characters, and why wouldnt he?

look, my argument from the beginning was people who want skull kid should consider the fact that if he's put in, they will most likely (based on all the EVIDENCE) use his TP form, and should vote accordingly. your argument is basically, well, i dont like his TP form, so their gonna hafta to put is MM form in.
Well I'm all for Vaati simply because I think he'd make for a more interesting Brawl character to play, but to be fair, the idea that that the developers only have a choice between putting only in the most recent form of a character or not putting that character in at all is just silly.

Your argument seems to be based on the evidence that all the Brawl characters that have already been announced appear in forms that are similar or exactly like how they appear in the latest games featuring them. That seems to be a pretty flimsy support for your argument given that we have yet to see the vast majority of the characters that will inevitably be in the game (i.e. there is a very high probability of this being purely circumstantial).

Supporting the other side of that argument, however, is the idea that the people making the decisions about these kinds of things want the game to be as successful as possible. I think this is a reasonable assumption.

If it were determined that more people would buy and enjoy the game if they included an older version of a certain character rather than the most recent one then, assuming no outside force (legal, economic, or otherwise) was stopping them, they would do it. I think it is likely that the developers would arrive at such a determination when considering MM Skull Kid vs. TP Skull Kid, so unless Sakurai went completely wacko and said "You know what, let's forget about making a successful game! It's more important to avoid including any versions of characters older than their most recent ones!", the only thing that would cause them to include TP Skull Kid over MM Skull Kid would be an outside force (pressure from Nintendo, perhaps as a misguided attempt to promote TP, but even that seems very unlikely).

Of course, all of this is hopefully moot, because Vaati would make a much better Brawl character anyway! :chuckle:

Top Bottom