• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl picked up by EVO....Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
It was announced earlier today that SSBB is going to be in the EVO 2008 lineup. I've already seen mixed feelings about this, but what do you all think? I personally think it's an excellent opportunity for really developing the game, provided a few things are done right. There's a discussion going on at SRK about what the rules should be, and I think it's off to a good start. But what do you all think about Brawl being at EVO? Do you think it'll be good for the evolution of the metagame, or do you think it's too soon for a game that hasn't even begun to be tested or explored?

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
LOL they better do a good job of it, last time the finals was a best of 1 without a stage ban for the prelims, Evo better learn from their mistake they did a HORRIBLE job running Melee.
Sounds like someone would be a lot less bitter with a 5,000$ check sitting in their house.

Do not forget, that EVO had to cut SF3 (the flagship capcom title) down to best of 1 due to time constraints as well.

This year, 2 games are being cut to ensure that these time constraints do not happen again. VF5 is definitely being cut, as is one of CvS2, GGXX/AC, or ST. I think ST is most likely to be cut this year, due to the fact that the "best" version is on Dreamcast... and the EVO guys HATE dreamcast.

Also, the perma-ban stages were still banned, they just did not enforce the stupid rule "Oh, I'm going to ban XX stage (fountain of dreams)", because as a rule, they do not ban things unless it is broken.

The each player banning a stage is unenforceable, as is the stupid repick rule.

In short....

BAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

EVO picking up smash is good. EVO is a serious fighting game tournament. Smash's inclusion means it is gaining respect as a serious fighting game, as opposed to MLG just picking what's popular. (i.e. Halo as opposed to more skillful FPS games)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Renegade: MLG runs consoles, if you think there are better FPS games on console other than the ones they run (R6V2, GoW, H3) then please enlighten me, but aside from Orange Box and possibly Unreal Tournament, there is nothing else comparable on console FPS. Halo still IS the best console FPS. Most of the better FPS games you are referring to (or I assume you are referring to) are run on PC.

If MLG were to only select games that were popular you would not have seen R6V on the circuit last year.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
If MLG were to only select games that were popular you would not have seen R6V on the circuit last year.
Didn't even know it ran R6V. I've been out of the MLG loop since they dropped smash and stopped working with Fighting games all together. I knew they picked up Gears of War, only because it kicked the crap out of Halo2 so much.
Halo isn't even the 5th best FPS on the system. Bioshock, Orange Box, GoW, and CoD4 are all better. But, with popularity goes the money I suppose. Bioshock didn't get it's own mountain dew flavor.
I've been playing ALOT of 360 since I've been over here, and I have to say Halo 3 was the biggest letdown I've had.

Anyway. I'm off topic.

The real point... do smashers want to be with MLG and First Person Shooters? Or do they want to be with the fighting games? I think SSBM and SSBB are fighting games. It's more appropriate, and smash gets a bigger focus at EVO. Not to mention, I trust 100% in EVO staff making the right call in the end. I know all of them personally.

pockyD

Smash Legend
smashers don't care where "we" are or who "we" associate with - smashers just want more tournaments with solid, fair rulesets

Eggm

Smash Hero
Good, watching vids with commentators from EVO screaming about random tripping killing some one will be hilarious.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Oops, a small clarification: I said development of the community, when I meant development of the game itself. Do you think that Brawl being a part of a nationally syndicated tournament at this early stage in its lifespan will be beneficial for it or not?

pockyD

Smash Legend
yes

anything that gets more players from different places to gather and play together will lead to more discoveries, information sharing, etc.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Good, watching vids with commentators from EVO screaming about random tripping killing some one will be hilarious.
true that, the announcing was top notch at evo east haha

i kinda cant wait for it. i loved evo east so im def gonna go again for brawl

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Evo is definitely a good thing. Always good for a game to be associated with the most prestigious fighting game series in North America. Although I'd say we already knew unofficially when someone from Evo was asking about what we'd like changed for how they ran Smash sometime after Evo 2007 last year.

S2

Smash Lord
Didn't even know it ran R6V. I've been out of the MLG loop since they dropped smash and stopped working with Fighting games all together. I knew they picked up Gears of War, only because it kicked the crap out of Halo2 so much.
Halo isn't even the 5th best FPS on the system. Bioshock, Orange Box, GoW, and CoD4 are all better. But, with popularity goes the money I suppose. Bioshock didn't get it's own mountain dew flavor.
I've been playing ALOT of 360 since I've been over here, and I have to say Halo 3 was the biggest letdown I've had.

Anyway. I'm off topic.

The real point... do smashers want to be with MLG and First Person Shooters? Or do they want to be with the fighting games? I think SSBM and SSBB are fighting games. It's more appropriate, and smash gets a bigger focus at EVO. Not to mention, I trust 100% in EVO staff making the right call in the end. I know all of them personally.
I'll agree that I don't think Halo is the top FPS.

But since MLG is a console tournament hoster, a lot of those games aren't going to see tournament play because the main competition is on the PC side of things.
Anything spawned by Half-Life especially.

Yeah, I know most of these games end up being PC and Xbox, but the hardcore tournament scene either ends up stacked on the PC or on the Console. If it ends up on the PC, there is little motivation to use that title in MLG.

As for EVO... only good things can come out of Smash being picked up by major tournament hosters. Even if they mess it up at first, tournament presence brings a new level of respect and prestige to top level players.

Linguini

Smash Master
Halo 1 was a top FPS......Halo 2...significantly less.......Halo 3.....is reaaally bad.
On topic: Evo taking in smash is one of the best things that could happen to the smash community, regardless if they make mistakes running it. If theres an EVO South, ill be there.

PEPA!

Smash Cadet
Renegade: MLG runs consoles, if you think there are better FPS games on console other than the ones they run (R6V2, GoW, H3) then please enlighten me, but aside from Orange Box and possibly Unreal Tournament, there is nothing else comparable on console FPS. Halo still IS the best console FPS. Most of the better FPS games you are referring to (or I assume you are referring to) are run on PC.

halo the best fps on console? come on you're so misinformed, play some team fortress and the fps with the most polish...call of duty 4. those are real fpshooters halo has not changed anything since the first other than change the weapon selection (and please dont mention dual wielding)

PEPA!

Smash Cadet
i have been buying the evo dvd's since 2003 (huge SF fan) and i was excited about melee last year so brawl being picked up this year is great. cant wait! it gives the game more exposure and places it on a credible tourney circut to make it considered as a "serious" fighter.....took people long enough! but i think its great because i think it takes as much skill to play smash as to play 3s, mvc2 and those games

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
halo the best fps on console? come on you're so misinformed, play some team fortress and the fps with the most polish...call of duty 4. those are real fpshooters halo has not changed anything since the first other than change the weapon selection (and please dont mention dual wielding)
plz dont act like any shooter ever will compare to halo. 360..,pc or otherwise

a lot of effs

Smash Rookie
Save your breath, they won't listen to you lol.

Pc tried to explain it and they were like "lol shut up smash vet"
Take the 5 minutes to post, SRK will probably just ***** at you, but the higher ups will listen to people who care. 90% of the people in that thread won't even enter Brawl (neither will I unless I get to a level where I genuinely think I can compete). I just think it's kind of unfair that they're asking theoryfighters who suck at 3s how to run their tournament, and not the people actually entering, so I posted that link here.

If you care about the game, post your opinion! It takes 5 minutes, and being defeatist it not something tournament players should be known for :p

Aesir

Smash Master
^ you haven't been around that long have you? They don't listen to us, this is what happens when we open our mouths.

It falls on deaf ears to them we're just a bunch of immature party game players.

Seriously why bother? it's not like we even need evo. This community has been self sufficiant with it's underground scene long before mlg came around. I would prefer mlg to pick up brawl as they're good when it comes to the community making up the rule set.

Then again I'm just bitter because I'm actually nice to them and all I got was elitest prick ****, so I'm def gonna hate on their **** now. >_>

a lot of effs

Smash Rookie
It falls on deaf ears to the Capcom community (See: Guilty Gear still being shunned publicly, despite being now the 5th largest tournament fighter in the country), but the people in charge want money from the people that are actually going to enter: You guys. Guys in that thread have never even entered Brawl tournies, or are even horrible at the games they are "good" at. Merely state that you've been a tournament Smash player for years and the higher ups will honestly consider your opinion more than random Capcom scrub #12. Popular opinion is going to sway it as well, but an honest argument from the better tournament players in Melee and Brawl will hold more water if you get a good number of them in that thread.

MrWizard

EVO Founder
I value everyones opinion that posts the reasoning behind it. Ive been trying for a while to get in to the backroom over here to sit in on discussions, but that hasn't happened so I started a SSBB sub section at SRK to get feedback. I would love for you to all to post over there and get some of you opinions there.

They definately dont go on deaf ears. We want to make the fair and accurate ruleset that pleases everyone.

White_Phoenix

Smash Rookie
Items in Brawl is just going to lead to random lame **** in matches. You could be up an entire stock and in the middle of spanking some1 and all they have to do is get a lucky bob-bomb or FS. Let the players win by skill not luck. I read that forum and PC Chris seemed to be the only one with his head out of his ***. Items = Entertainment and some good laughs. Items do NOT = Competetive play.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I value everyones opinion that posts the reasoning behind it. Ive been trying for a while to get in to the backroom over here to sit in on discussions, but that hasn't happened so I started a SSBB sub section at SRK to get feedback. I would love for you to all to post over there and get some of you opinions there.

They definitely don't go on deaf ears. We want to make the fair and accurate rule set that pleases everyone.
Thats coming straight from one of the old schoolers of SRK and the maker I believe.

My opinion is the same as others. YES Brawl being in Evo is a good thing but let me explain my position and such as well.

I am into all the scenes such as Halo ( coach a pro team ), Counter-Strike ( know a few people in CGS and 1.6 tournies ) , Smash ( obviously lol ), and SRK stuff ( dxp and company ) and to be honest its all different. No one community is better than the other it is all a matter of opinion. Personally I can see where some smash players come from when they are basically looked down upon for being different. I remember a friend calling it a 3 person game and I saw him playing 3rd strike with Ken ( seriously WTF lol ). As far as MLG and Halo I have nothing but respect for them and all their choices in the upcoming season so Renegade you really have no right to judge cause of ONE tournament a couple of years back that MLG did. They are a business and yea they pick what is popular but they also pick games that can be competitive. Do you know when they started they had Madden AND Soul caliber? Do some research.

Either way I think that while SRK has shortcomings like most communities ( MVC2 in NYC is very uh...well there is a reason people were banned last year for "thuggery" ) SRK is very loyal and that makes them commendable for their ability to wait TEN YEARS for a new game and keep their games alive. I'd be the same way really they like people like them but the organizers are seeing Smash and are giving it a chance.

Well thats my two cents I don't feel like posting more but either way unless Microsoft allows MLG to run smash in the circuit ( sponsors FTL ) I think Evo will be fine. If people do not want that to be so then hey just run your own tournaments its not like Evo commands you to go that weekend.

Thanks for coming by Wiz its nice to know your giving this a fair share :)

Venom NY

Smash Lord
i actually think its good that evo is picking it up,i hope mlg does or did as well, but anyways if they can get some opinons from veteran smash players on rules then that would be awesome if not,then we'll have to stick with what they say

throwaway

Smash Rookie
Link to the evo site: http://www.evo2k.com/
Link to a good blog post by getyourtournament: http://www.gameriot.com/blogs/Get-Your-Tournament/Analysis-Put-Melee-not-Brawl-in-EVOs-2008-roster/

Brawl in Evo is a bad thing because Melee is NOT in the lineup. This year at least, melee is guaranteed to produce excitement, brawl is not. There will be a crapload of new players, but for the most part the gameplay will suck.

Read the last few paragraphs in the getyourtournament post, it sums up a separate argument based on rules.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
ive never been to evo before, so if they are adding brawl to the lineup im probably gonna save money up to plan a trip there and get alot of video footage. Good times! XD

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Link to the evo site: http://www.evo2k.com/
Link to a good blog post by getyourtournament: http://www.gameriot.com/blogs/Get-Your-Tournament/Analysis-Put-Melee-not-Brawl-in-EVOs-2008-roster/

Brawl in Evo is a bad thing because Melee is NOT in the lineup. This year at least, melee is guaranteed to produce excitement, brawl is not. There will be a crapload of new players, but for the most part the gameplay will suck.

Read the last few paragraphs in the getyourtournament post, it sums up a separate argument based on rules.

IMO Brawl is a step forward for us. Remember the best version of Tekken is considered Tekken 3 but they do not put that game in the main evo series. Remember we could also run a Melee tournament on teh side there is nothing prohibiting us from doing so. Yes the game play will be a little lacking but many new games have this problem and in time it will be refined. So to me your argument is flawed.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
I checked out the Brawl-rules thread at Evo and was completely disgusted. The level of disrespect and elitism from most of those posting from SRK is atrocious. What's to be said about the ruleset for brawl has been said, and I personally will not grant them the respect of contributing my opinion on it.

Rampage

vx
Evo? Really? I thought evo only liked games that could be over in a short amount of time like third strike. Oh well. Why did MLG take melee off anyways? I never got a straight answer.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Evo? Really? I thought evo only liked games that could be over in a short amount of time like third strike. Oh well. Why did MLG take melee off anyways? I never got a straight answer.

It was answered but to refer to what your saying it was because MLG sponsors did not want an old dead system to be affliated with mlg and also cause of some TV issues...thats my too lazy to explain rules lol..

Btw where is the brawl ruleset for Evo so I can see what is going on.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
They are discussing the rule set so it is not definite unless i hear an official announcement from teh Canon's ( the people who run Evo. ) I stand by Evo. Ya SRK people can be moronic but Evo Staff is always fair and does what they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom