• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online: Pathetic. So let's do something about it.

JordN

Smash Rookie
wtf.dewd you are seriously annoying and no-one agrees with you.lol
Way to be four. Learn to spell, learn to punctuate and don't single people out for having a non-conforming opinion.
I personally agree with him.
I would also have an idea like this.
Make two sections
The whole Wii Want More or w/e section that costs money, where you can choose to challenge everyone or people who also have Wii Want More. Wii Want More players should get access to better servers with less people crowded into it.
Sadly Sakurai doesn't believe in patches and updates despite the whole
"WHY DOESNT KING BULBIN DROP A BOMB WHEN I HAVE THE SMASH BALL AS JIGGLYPUFF"
factor.

EDIT: More on Lucario"I don't feel like typing out the 2k8 because you aren't worth anyones full respect"
1. Where do you get off.
2. You are the poison that is killing the internet.
3. LOL ILLITERATE
4. Don't post in places where you don't know what you're talking about (Here for one).
5. LOL ILLITERATE

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Way to be four. Learn to spell, learn to punctuate and don't single people out for having a non-conforming opinion.
Make two sections
The whole Wii Want More or w/e section that costs money, where you can choose to challenge everyone or people who also have Wii Want More. Wii Want More players should get access to better servers with less people crowded into it.
factor.

EDIT: More on Lucario"I don't feel like typing out the 2k8 because you aren't worth anypne full respect"
1. Where do you get off.
3. LOL ILLITERATE
4. Don't post in places where you don't know what you're talking about (Here for one).
5. LOL ILLITERATE
Thank you for agreeing with me. I also agree with your statement that there should be an alternative online system for those who wish to pay monthly. Many pay for Xbox Live and find that it warrants its costs, even I do. I just wish that Sakurai intended more with Brawl than simply a game targeted towards casuals. The "hardcore gaming" audience is what sold Brawl millions of units in its first week, so it should only be fair that the loyalty and devotion of the hardcore gaming audience warrants higher priority over requests for what the game's content holds.

nitnit

Smash Cadet
In all honesty, if the servers were up 99% of the time (I don't expect anything to be perfect, though it would be nice), then I wouldn't really mind the mess of WiFi since I always play with friends who have good internet connections. However, myself and a few of said friends have been unable to connect to wifi for the past 3 hours. -_-

JordN

Smash Rookie
Thank you for agreeing with me. I also agree with your statement that there should be an alternative online system for those who wish to pay monthly. Many pay for Xbox Live and find that it warrants its costs, even I do. I just wish that Sakurai intended more with Brawl than simply a game targeted towards casuals. The "hardcore gaming" audience is what sold Brawl millions of units in its first week, so it should only be fair that the loyalty and devotion of the hardcore gaming audience warrants higher priority over requests for what the game's content holds.
The casual gaming pissed me off, I know that sakurai intended for it but why did he allow a midnight release of the game.
A 'Casual' gamer isn't going to get it at midnight.

GofG

Smash Champion
Okay, obviously I should have posted in this thread, not one of the other threads. Quoting myself:

There would appear to be a fundamental misunderstanding of why Mario Kart has no lag while Brawl has lag. It is because of the nature of the two games.

In a two dimensional fighter, there is going to be button input lag, because of the way the stage and the fighters have to be accessed from the same file, all hosted server-side, every frame. For a racer, the course sits comfortably in the Wii's RAM, and all that needs to be downloaded from the server is a small file containing the position of every racer, per frame.

This is true of every 2-d fighter and/or racer that has ever existed. It's not that Mario Kart's wifi is "better", it's that Mario Kart is a "better" game for Wifi.

In other words, it is not Nintendo's fault that there is button input lag. It is their fault, though, that the user interface for finding a match sucks.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm troubled by the general disregard Nintendo seems to have for its users. With this game, they have created an online system depriving us of all the things that an online system should have.

Grievances:
Friend Codes/With A Friend - *shudder* I'm not sure who at Nintendo thought this would be a good idea. It's not. 16 random numbers??? There is no way to interact with your friends within the system either. You can't challenge them, you can't message them. You can't play anyone 1 on 1, or in any sort of intentional fashion, unless they are your friend. And they limit you to 64 friends. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. A textbook example of how not to design a system.
Voice Chat - There is none! There is no (good) way to communicate with fellow players. So much of the fun of smash is the feeling of playing a fast paced game with people. Nintendo has managed to take that away.
With Anyone - There is a complete lack of options here. You cannot set it to stock. You cannot play 1v1's. You, have, no, choice. If I play a player I want to play again, I should be able to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I understand that some players may want to play anonymously (that should be an option. what a stunning idea: options!), but making the entire system is anonymous is just ridiculous. I am sick of it. Nintendo continues to infantilize us.
Lag - Lag is a huge issue with this game. Look around this forum: user after user complaining of lag. I have yet to play an online game at a speed where I felt it was enjoyable. And I know my internet is good, low ping latency, static ip, dmz, etc... I'm not asking for anyone to offer suggestions. The problem is with the game/nintendo's network.
Ranking/Tournament/Organized Play of any sort WITHIN the game- There is none. There should be. But that is so far from priority, that I'm not even going to get into it.
I'll admit, I didn't read the thread beyond the first 4 pages and the last page-

I'll address the bolded ones.

- The internet is the solution.

You should check out allisbrawl.com's chatroom/matchmaking system. When my brother's not using the laptop, I use their matchmaking chatroom there as a "lobby" for Smash as an online game. Click a name on the list of online people and if they put it in their profile, you can see their friend code. Live private messaging, general chat, all that fun stuff. It's usually like

Tenki: hey, anyone EC with good connection wanna play?
randomdood19: tenki i'll play
Tenki: alright, i'll host it
randomdood19: k
Tenki clicks randomdood19's name, copies the friendcode, makes a room and waits for randomdood19 to request to join - game start.

D: it's too bad Nintendo didn't do something like that. Then again, they probably didn't forsee online Brawl as becoming as net-based/people-you-don't-know-irl-based game as it is starting to become. Oh well, AiB is my Brawl Online game lobby XD
...I've reached 64 people a few times and dislike deleting people :[

-I've played with CA (From GA) and not have had noticeable lag. Heck, I've played with Flying Dutchman, wherever he is in Europe, and didn't have noticeable lag (I could powershield if I wanted to). I met someone who claimed to have played with Hawaii and not had much lag, and after my GA-CA experience, I wouldn't doubt it.
I've played with other people in the Southeast, and even people a few neighborhoods away and had more lag than those games. Why? Because I have cable and they have DSL. Or worse. Just because you have a fast connection doesn't mean they will, too. Like someone else stated, it seems to be peer-to-peer when playing with other people.

If you can communicate with the person you're playing with, watch out for those downloads. They screw up the lag ALOT.
Microwave ovens can also disconnect wireless things.

;_; srsly, the connection problems tend to be on the players' side.

Just be glad it's not like an FPS where you lead your attacks at an invisible target and never know if it really hit or not. In Brawl, you 'lead' your inputs, but at least you can see if it really hit or not xD

Okysho

Smash Ace
yeah, apparently the matches are played between the Wiis themselves Nintendo of America doesn't host servers for their online matches! The amount of memory needed to play Brawl alone is extensive, but then having to manage the traffic and instantaneous stream of incomming data from the web, it's too much for the Wii alone to handle, ending in Lag... WTF NOA!!! FIX IT! I dunno why they did this in the first place...

Kriegsseele

Smash Apprentice
yeah, apparently the matches are played between the Wiis themselves Nintendo of America doesn't host servers for their online matches! The amount of memory needed to play Brawl alone is extensive, but then having to manage the traffic and instantaneous stream of incomming data from the web, it's too much for the Wii alone to handle, ending in Lag... WTF NOA!!! FIX IT! I dunno why they did this in the first place...
Thanks for sharing commone knowledge with us.

And now:
Look up.
Don't complain, just look up. For like, 4 posts.
Yeah, that huge post.
Read it. And I mean, read it completely.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Ok... I read it, but still it seems silly that they don't have servers. I'm not interested in tournaments or using brawl as a means of proving my skill. I want to just play with my other friends who have brawl, and I can't do that because of the terrible lag. That's all there really is to say. The only time I've had trouble communicating with a person to fight in brawl is someone I met on the boards who lives... I don't know where. Never had that problem with my friends so I'm not concerned about it. It's the connectivity I don't like... and that Marth got major nerfs, but that's off topic... You get what I mean!

GPLegend777

Smash Rookie
Yeah, brawl online is a peice of crap. One of the worste online I have ever seen for a game.
Why even make such a bad online, for such a popular game. Way to go nintendo ;)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ok... I read it, but still it seems silly that they don't have servers. I'm not interested in tournaments or using brawl as a means of proving my skill. I want to just play with my other friends who have brawl, and I can't do that because of the terrible lag. That's all there really is to say. The only time I've had trouble communicating with a person to fight in brawl is someone I met on the boards who lives... I don't know where. Never had that problem with my friends so I'm not concerned about it. It's the connectivity I don't like... and that Marth got major nerfs, but that's off topic... You get what I mean!
What? If they had servers that everyone had to connect to, wouldn't that make it slower?

At least, with the peer-to-peer system that it has right now, it's all based on your invidual connections. Which is why I can play with UniversityStudent51 with virtually no lag because he has an awesome connection that's better than my Cable connection.

Just a question:

What kind of connection do you have?
What kind of connection do your friends have?

If either of them are not high speed connections (coughdialupcough), are behind a heavy firewall, or are downloading while playing,

facepalm.

this is not Brawl. this is the internet.

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
somewhere far away think its called hyrule
Make two sections
factor.

EDIT: More on Lucario"I don't feel like typing out the 2k8 because you aren't worth anyones full respect"
1. Where do you get off.
3. LOL ILLITERATE
5. LOL ILLITERATE
1 question, this is a thread for complaining, wtf are you and after dawn here for?haha looks like someone forgot what the thread is for, ah well, walmart still employs idiots.and what that ****, correcting someone about grammar?get the **** away from here you dumb piece of ****.

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
Actually, you seem to be the only one disagreeing with me. Brawl relies heavily on frame precision, so expecting zero-lag from the online is wishful and ignorant thinking. You want to see "annoying" and "no one agrees with you?" Go into the official Brawl tier list discussion topic. You made a completely uneducated and ignorant post that ended up with the following responses:

Good day.
oh my you have seemed to have made an idiotic judgement as a result of being a person who has his head shoved up his own ***, they are my friends making a joke about how much i like R.o.b and they take opportunities to make fun of me every time i mention him and tiers, but you just jumped in with an anept insinuation, sorry to inform you, but you have lost this round, try harder ^_^

Ricardo10

Smash Rookie
What? If they had servers that everyone had to connect to, wouldn't that make it slower?

At least, with the peer-to-peer system that it has right now, it's all based on your invidual connections. Which is why I can play with UniversityStudent51 with virtually no lag because he has an awesome connection that's better than my Cable connection.

Just a question:

What kind of connection do you have?
What kind of connection do your friends have?

If either of them are not high speed connections (coughdialupcough), are behind a heavy firewall, or are downloading while playing,

facepalm.

this is not Brawl. this is the internet.
I agree with you. Its your connection that matters. If both of you have really good connections, then you will have little or no lag at all.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I freaking hate online brawl. Here's a story of what happened to me and my friend during an online tournament.

It's doubles finals, late night, we just wanna finish and go to sleep but we keep disconnecting from the other team. We keep trying and trying for about an hour and we just give up. A tournament unsettled, a tie! Nintendo really does know how to displease everyone who wants to play online. No tournament should go unfinished :(

GofG

Smash Champion
I wish someone would read my post.

I'll quote it, since you might have missed it even though its only a few posts ago.

There would appear to be a fundamental misunderstanding of why Mario Kart has no lag while Brawl has lag. It is because of the nature of the two games.

In a two dimensional fighter, there is going to be button input lag, because of the way the stage and the fighters have to be accessed from the same file, all hosted server-side, every frame. For a racer, the course sits comfortably in the Wii's RAM, and all that needs to be downloaded from the server is a small file containing the position of every racer, per frame.

This is true of every 2-d fighter and/or racer that has ever existed. It's not that Mario Kart's wifi is "better", it's that Mario Kart is a "better" game for Wifi.

In other words, it is not Nintendo's fault that there is button input lag. It is their fault, though, that the user interface for finding a match sucks.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
this is not the point of the topic.

stop defending nintendo.
defending nintendo? like theres something wrong with not planning some ******* girlscout attack on their headquarters?
just because alot of COD4 and halo3 noobs agree with you doesnt mean everyone does.
online in smash is for seriously competitive smashers..its not like halo3 where a bunch of 5 year olds go on so they can make ***** of themselves (which is probably what you want to )
who cares if with anyone mode sucks? just dont play it, if you had any friends you could play them, but i guess you dont...(?)
nintendo isnt going to change **** for you little kids, take brawl or leave it, but dont waste forum space with this useless *****ing.
it does nothing, and it doesnt make you look in control
oh yeah...WIFI IS FREE, opposed to other online services with rip off prices monthly, you dont know how good you have it.

edit: i get no lag at all, dont blame everything on nintendo just because your connection sucks(or you play someone far away)

cleatongangstr

Smash Rookie
I love how everyone argues that all 2d fighters will have input lag when playing online. To prove this wrong all you have to do is go play ssb64 on an online emulator. Absolutely zero lag. It's sad that a game they made years ago can be played online better then the one they released a few months ago.

YoungMoney702

Smash Cadet
I love how everyone argues that all 2d fighters will have input lag when playing online. To prove this wrong all you have to do is go play ssb64 on an online emulator. Absolutely zero lag. It's sad that a game they made years ago can be played online better then the one they released a few months ago.
r u serious

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
I completely agree with everything that was mentioned in the original post. The online in this game is unbelievably bad although there is 1 thing that I didnt see mentioned. I go online to fight other players across the world (im pretty sure thats what online functionality is for!) and for some reason that my brain cannot comprehend...I find myself fighting against one other player with an amazingly large amount of lag/fps drop AS WELL AS 2 OTHER COMPUTER PLAYERS!!!! For what possible reason is there CPU's shoved into an online match? I mean heck, there isnt even an option to turn them off or anything. They are there and theres nothing you can do about it. I spent a few hours trying to think of a possible reason as to why they added CPU's online........the results of those hours was inconclusive. I cannot think of any POSSIBLE reason for them to have done this.

Also, theres another thing that makes no sense. Why is it that we cant have any form of names etc when we play online in brawl when we can in Mario Kart Wii/DS + a bunch of other games. Its as if Nintendo is saying "If you have a name on MKwii then your privacy is safe but if you have one in Brawl your in danger". Honestly, I'm sick and tired of Nintendo and their online system. The best online game that i've played from Nintendo would have to be MKDS and that was their 1st online game...Nintendo is getting worse and worse :(

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
LOL this thread is dumb. Online helps people get better you can see playing styles, learn combos, its legit. But sometimes it will lag and sometimes the server sucks a$$. So online isnt THAT BAD. This thread is like me complaining to m2k because hes so much better than me at melee.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...I guess you're right about the input lag, but there was still choppiness.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
p2p dumba$$ cleatongangstr and people update the emulator and servers daily thats why its so good
Oh yeah, now I remember who you are. Jigglymaster brought you to the JS forum and you asked for a staff position right away before getting banned shortly after.
Sure fits with your stuck-up attitude.

[/pointless semi-flame]

But yeah, Sakurai insists that party games shouldn't be played intensely, and leaderboards are baaad for ignorant button mashing. Good thing he won't be making the next Smash.

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, now I remember who you are. Jigglymaster brought you to the JS forum and you asked for a staff position right away before getting banned shortly after.
Sure fits with your stuck-up attitude.

[/pointless semi-flame]

But yeah, Sakurai insists that party games shouldn't be played intensely, and leaderboards are baaad for ignorant button mashing. Good thing he won't be making the next Smash.
lol, yes jiggly master you are abusing your status just because you have been registered longer dosnt give you authority to calk people a ******* thats his opinion and thingy person i agree with you, sure is sad that a old game is better than a new one.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
LOL this thread is dumb. Online helps people get better you can see playing styles, learn combos, its legit. But sometimes it will lag and sometimes the server sucks a$$. So online isnt THAT BAD. This thread is like me complaining to m2k because hes so much better than me at melee.
actually the online is pretty lousy. It has only the bare minimals in With Anyone. And With Friends is terribly difficult to maintain a friend's list/FC and when you try to join it takes a moment to register their status so you end up joining a game while other people are "Waiting" not "Seeking." The Lag from east to west I could accept, but they're like an overall slight to medium lag most of the time. And it ain't my connection.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Guilty Gear XX #Reloaded had pretty bad online lag, but 2d fighters generally require precise timing.

Smash is just awful. Online has absolutely no playability.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
The only problem I have with the online is the massive lag and constant disconnections. Seriously, Sakurai, stop trying to use your cat as a server. It doesn't work.

bored

Smash Ace
We could just stay here and complain some more...

complaining always works.

Top Bottom