• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl- NEEDS helpers!

NNID
Budget_Player
Hey guys, Brawl- is currently suffering from a dramatic lack of Testers and Coders! If we want to get a release out any time soon (I could drag the code kicking and screaming to completion but I cannot playtest it alone), we need your help!

Please post here with credentials, experience, how often you'll be able/willing to playtest against actual humans, etc. I know some of you will be more than willing to jump on the idea. KEEP THE HYPE ALIVE!

NNID
Budget_Player
Sorry slashy, but the existing Brawl- team has made it very clear that they are not willing to work with you. Even if I was unable to understand that sentiment (which is not the case; I understand exactly where it's coming from and so does almost everyone who has worked with you, unfortunately), I would not step in on your behalf because it's not beneficial for Brawl- (the entire point of this thread) to do so. I think that should pretty much clear THAT issue up.

Come on, anyone else?

Slashy

Smash Lord
I'm sorry that posting livestreams and attempting to bring it to events wasn't enough for "building hype" and getting feedback.

Slashy

Smash Lord
It's hypocritical to kick people off as playtesters then beg for people to be playtesters.

If you're this desperate for wide testing, then release a nightly.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
****ing edit your posts before you both get infracted and this topic locked and take that **** to PM. christ.
This. Both of you take it to PMs.

Slashy, if you're not going to post anything contributing to the topic on hand, please don't post at all.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I am willing to be a playtester, I'm always willing to be a playtester. I was submitting feedback to Brawl+ back in the nightly days.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I'm more than willing to both playtest and/or code, but I don't know if I really have enough credentials for either...

for playtesting: I'm no scrub, but I'm no pro either. I've only been to a few local unofficial tournaments (like one at my house in high school for melee (50 people... most of the people there were scrubs though), a Brawl one at GameStop the opening night, a few hosted by a gaming club at UWEC)... all of them I got either 1st or 2nd. None of that says much imo, but I have improved significantly since then... in Minus I mostly focus on Peach, Snake, DK, and Diddy and I'd be more than willing to narrow down to one character if you want testing on any particular character (I play almost every character... the ones I listed are just the ones I play / like the most.... DK is by far my best). As for how often I can playtest against (good) human players... pretty much every day for an hour. On weekends more. Both my housemates play smash and one of them is of similar skill level to me (we do one on one and take turns) and the other is not far behind (he didn't play smash much before but he's getting good fast). I could see if I could get some of my other friends to play me more (who are also solid players), in which case I could playtest even more.

as for coding: I have no idea if I'm presently capable of it... I'm a CS major at EC, but that's a recent change, and as such, I'm only in sophomore level CS classes atm. I've never done coding for smash, so I don't know how hard it is or what exactly it entails... I can tell you that I know Java best and have some experience in C++. If someone's willing to get me started, or at least send me a link to a tutorial or something, I could see if I'm capable of it. If I am, I'm more than willing to spend about 5-10 hours a week on it (I don't know if I could afford much more with the exception of when I'm on break... I'm taking a three CS classes that are supposed to be taken in sequence, all at once this semester, so that eats up a LOT of my time).

so yeah... that's that. Really not sure that cuts it, but thougth I'd offer. I'm certainly interested.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
I'll be a playtester if you let me.

I'm of a pretty good level at smash play and pretty great at other fighting games. My friends and I play a whole lot, generally 3 weeknights for 2-3 hours and however long we want to on weekends. I'm also the creator of a smash club at my school and have hosted two tournaments so far. So I'm in a place where (if wanted) I could take it to my tournaments and have some of the other players try it out. I mainly play Kirby, Wolf, Charizard, Link and Fox. So as stated by BlackRainNFire, I could test those characters specifically or I could just test everyone. I love the game, played it before version 1.0 at Phase 5 and have stuck with the game ever since.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Sorry slashy, but the existing Brawl- team has made it very clear that they are not willing to work with you. Even if I was unable to understand that sentiment (which is not the case; I understand exactly where it's coming from and so does almost everyone who has worked with you, unfortunately), I would not step in on your behalf because it's not beneficial for Brawl- (the entire point of this thread) to do so. I think that should pretty much clear THAT issue up.

Come on, anyone else?
Haven't actually heard anyone say anything about slashy, but you... lol. Not that it's any of my business since i barely know the guy, though.
I could actually get up to a dozen playtesters, but we could only do it friday/sat of next weekend as we all work/are busy during the week. And do not play online.

I trust i am allowed to leave broom builds with people i deem worthy offline?

@Purdi: omg omg omg. methinks you are deh ins.

cmart

Smash Lord
I could help out as a playtester.

I'm a recently unretired melee vet who currently plays a lot of Project: M. There are vids of me playing P:M on youtube if that matters. I'm also an amateur game designer, and have modded levels for fps before. I play minus once or twice a week for several hours. I play DK, Ganon, Falco, Falcon, Samus, ZSS, Ness, and Luigi, and could test just those or whoever else.

As for Minus, I like the engine and design goals, but feel that a lot of characters have some questionable tactics or moves that enable unfun gameplay (in 1.6 anyway). My feedback would probably be balanced.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I could playtest. I have some skill and patience with PSA (like I found a way to make Samus's U-smash hits properly connect basically 100% of the time if you want me to show you), but outside of that will not be very helpful in coding.

I'm very good at finding options. If you need any recent credentials for that, look at my guide to G&W's D-throw here. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298130 I am VERY good at testing for options.

The only risk with recruiting me is my lack of time, and my laziness.

NNID
Budget_Player
Okay little update. Is anyone here able to playtest a few newer builds with another person today? I'm trying to rework MK and with a character like that, it's simply impossible to tell things like "Is this Dair as broken as it seems or is the AI just ****in' ********".
I'll be talking over the applications with the other BBR members (keep 'em coming), but for the immediate future I need people when I can have them.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I can. Though I won't be free till around 6 or so tonight, once I an I'm free till midnight and so are my housemates (who play smash quite a bit, as do I).

$up@ N0v@

Smash Journeyman
Haven't actually heard anyone say anything about slashy, but you... lol. Not that it's any of my business since i barely know the guy, though.
I could actually get up to a dozen playtesters, but we could only do it friday/sat of next weekend as we all work/are busy during the week. And do not play online.

I trust i am allowed to leave broom builds with people i deem worthy offline?

@Purdi: omg omg omg. methinks you are deh ins.
Leggho

10 B-

NNID
Budget_Player
I can. Though I won't be free till around 6 or so tonight, once I an I'm free till midnight and so are my housemates (who play smash quite a bit, as do I).
Hmm... That's giong to be past midnight for me. Welp, time to pull an all-nighter. :laugh: Hit my up on skype or something when you have time to playtest; in the meanwhile I'll try to iron a few of the more stupid things out.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'll totally help with playtesting, and if by coding you mean PSA I can try to help with that as well.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
I'm willing to help play test, not so with coding though unless you mean PSA.

My experience - Two words = OverDrive

I also have an floating point editor, that can adjust things such as fox laser speed, or Sonic's homing attack.

Im also sorry to say i have no one to play test it with, but i do major testing on my own anyway.

So yeah i can play test since currently I'm giving Brawl Hacking a break.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
I'm willing to help play test.

I am the president of a club at our local university (UCCS) called Catalysts of Destruction Video Game Club. The point of the club is to get people to play games and get multiple people playing. Unfortunately to meet this definition, it's limited to FPSs and Fighters. Brawl is a popular game for the club and many people love it when I bring in Brawl- because of the shenanigans that happens. We meet every Friday from 14:00 till 18:00.

Also I host another event on every Friday called Springsfest. Many tournament players and I get together at our local McDonalds and just play games from 18:00 till 23:00.

We are a club of about 20 people.

EDIT: I just thought of something... I'm also Vice President of UCCS SPLAT, which is UCCS's official LAN. Our next LAN is March 19th, and many regulars liked Brawl- when I premiered it.

I'm Colorado's Brawl TD. Right now, our project is to get boarder attention with the hit tournament, Zournament. Hopefully it'll show in my sig, but we're trying to get surrounding states involved. We've had 2 successful tournaments, and the second yielded 150% more people than last time. The total that was at Z2 was ~50.

tl;dr: I hold weekly gatherings each Friday for 10 hours for about 30+ people who regularly play brawl-. About 80% of them are casual players. I am a leader, and I organize events. I think that sums it up..

I'm also a CS major. But with 4 coding classes this semester and a job that has me constantly editing videos, I don't think I could be much help on the coding side.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Send a copy my way, would you? There are some folks at my college who play Minus competitively... they were able to detect and find the broken aspects almost immediately.

Just keep in mind, if we find something broken, don't ask yourself, "how will I nerf this," ask yourself, "how will I make everyone as broken as this?"

modernmacro

Smash Rookie
I'd playtest. I've been posting in the forums and playing ever since 1.0 came out, and posting quite a lot since 1.5. I've played Minus with around 30 different people, and I play with a group of 5 people at least 3 times a week. We're decent and can play at a respectable level. We can generally tell when something is overpowered and when it's not, and we'd give good feedback on a regular basis.

I personally have been to several in-school tournaments (15-20 people showed), where I've come in no worse than 4th, most of the time coming in 1st or 2nd. I've also been to a real tournament where my showing was less than amazing, but I won a number of Minus friendlies.

I'm Filbert on Smashmods, if you want to PM me there.

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
I was one of the first Alpha testers of Brawl Minus, and one of the only Sonic mains in Minus besides Kojin who provided forum feedback. I suggested some of the changes that are present in his new 2.0 build.

Also I was involved in discussing how to retool Bowsers armor, as well as contributing to buffing Wario overall, nerfing Mk's nado spike, speeding up Snake and other characters.

I've played Brawl for well over 2 years, and I know all of Sonic's AT's, ASC's, Spinshots, all the techniques to make my testing valuable...

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
I would quite enjoy testing Brawl Minus. I don't have multiplayer available right now, but I do have some tournament experience and I'm good at gathering data and researching.

When vBrawl was still new and lacking in hacking, I hammered out the specifics of: the non-Super Armor that Snake, Yoshi, Squirtle, and Kirby have in my non-Super [thread=182223]Armor Project[/thread]; why and when Ganon (among some others) suffers [thread=192715]carryover landing lag[/thread]; and cleared up a few gaps in knowledge of how [post=4741501]pokemon stamina/fatigue[/post] works.

After Brawl Plus's dissipation, I found my way to the Minus world and have never looked back. For Minus, I've been much more active over on SmashMods (same name, different avatar). I've done some datadumps with associated interpretions/analyses for Minus already, and would certainly continue to gather/interpret/analyze data as a playtester.

Last but not least, I'm way enthusiastic about a new Brawl Minus release. Whether called 1.7 or 2.0, I am all for helping release it in the best possible form!

/RtEB

Roager

Smash Ace
I'd be happy to help playtest, for as much use as it'd be. But that's probably unlikely. I don't have any real credentials, just that I've been playing Smash since the 64 days.

So if you really need people, hit me up on smashmods (same name) since I rarely ever come here anymore. I'm not a coder, I'm not a tournament player (there aren't any around here) but I do play a lot, and I do know the game pretty well. For human/human matches, I can do it most any day. Barring some nonsense in my friend's schedule I don't know about.

/overly humble sibmission of application

Top Bottom