• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Moveset Discussion Week 8: Down Smash

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
The best taunt. Umm, if you actually manage to hit someone as they are coming back to the stage, it can do wonders. But that almost never happens. Really, if you could punish with this, you probably have just OOSed an aireal.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Great move.

Horrible move.

Great to use while your opponent is recovering from an angle. If it hits, it looks ****, and they are screwed.

Horrible to use on stage. It's laggy, slow, and not all that strong. Even if it hits, you could get gimped.

Thats all I have to say.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
this move is awesome but it takes a while to learn how to hit with it.
Fix'd.

I admit it has a high learning curve, and even then a very difficult set up, but you can learn to use it effectively in edge related roll/tech chases. It's trajectory is it's only reason to live, but that trajectory is fantastic.

I'm surprised at you veril. As restmaster, you spend so much time working with a move that's hard to hit with but has great rewards, yet you don't respect the D-smash?

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
It's a bad move, but it is underrated. Certain recoveries can be WTF gimped with it.
Lern dis. Lern dis nao.

It is so epic when it lands. The hitbox curves out near the grabable part of the edge when done correctly. The only good use for this move.

PND

Smash Champion
It can also be good in doubles, provided you have a partner who isn't scared of harassing people off the edge. (Another Jiggs?)

If your partner is offstage, chances are (s)he'll be giving your opponent enough hell so that they won't be able to sweetspot the edge perfectly. Dsmash for win. If it doesn't kill them, it gives your partner ample time to grab the edge and finish the job.

Like I said, by all means it's a bad move. But unlike some of her other moves, it's a bad move that can sometimes come in handy.

Oh, or vs. Wario. He doesn't auto sweetspot. Chances are he won't use it high enough that you can get a Fsmash, but you pretty much should ALWAYS be able to hit this.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Fix'd.

I admit it has a high learning curve, and even then a very difficult set up, but you can learn to use it effectively in edge related roll/tech chases. It's trajectory is it's only reason to live, but that trajectory is fantastic.

I'm surprised at you veril. As restmaster, you spend so much time working with a move that's hard to hit with but has great rewards, yet you don't respect the D-smash?
heres the difference, rest has invincibility and comes out fast, d smash does not. rest can hit easier once u master it, d smash cannot. rest kills, d smash does not. any questions?

but yeah total rapage taunt

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
heres the difference, rest has invincibility and comes out fast, d smash does not. rest can hit easier once u master it, d smash cannot. rest kills, d smash does not. any questions?

but yeah total rapage taunt
I'm quite certain anything will hit easier when you master it, regardless of the move.
Dsmash kills quite easily, any heavy character hit with dsmash at even 100% won't be coming back (snakes and ROBs not withstanding) anyone else is set up for one of jiggly's most painful gimps, the low trajectory is nothing less of godly for jiggs.

In order to make it effective, you have to be near the edge, but you can "force" people to edge fight you. More so If they don't have a projectile attack, but still effectively.

I agree though that on paper, and for that matter even in game Dsmash looks horrible.

Veril

Frame Savant
rest has many situations that ensure it can hit. D-smash does not.

Its a s****y move EXCEPT in one situation: opponent is recovering from below the stage and doesn't have an autosweetspotting recovery. Even better on stages like Yoshi's Island. In this situation you've got lots of other options as well. There's no awesome technique that's suddenly gonna make this a useful move.

I use this move about once every other set at most.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
rest has many situations that ensure it can hit. D-smash does not.

Its a s****y move EXCEPT in one situation: opponent is recovering from below the stage and doesn't have an autosweetspotting recovery. Even better on stages like Yoshi's Island. In this situation you've got lots of other options as well. There's no awesome technique that's suddenly gonna make this a useful move.

I use this move about once every other set at most.
Can we simply conclude this fact? There really isn't much else to say about it. A video for the proper edgeguard use would be cool.

I personaly love this move for it's one porpose. Otherwise, I hate it. I use d-smash about twice a match when I only feel like aireal gimps. You opponent can recover from that if you don't do the job right.

However, with d-smash edge guard, once it hits, your opponent is royaly screwed.

This move was much more useful on melee with the old ledge grab system. In brawl, the ledge can be grabed from it's underside to give you a safer recovery because your opponent could attack you if you came above or equal to the ledge. In melee you were limited to such a range, making D-smash useable against almost every ledge recovery.

But players tend to recover on the safe spot of the edge now.
I hate auto sweet-spotting :(

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
I agree with M. Overall it's a bad move, but it has its shining moments.

rinoH

Smash Lord
spin spin spin good on slanted stages and on fox prtty much it except its faster than fsmash so yeah not very useful though i use it quite alot

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I came in here to agree that the move sucks. Then I read the idea of using this on Wario...

WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS, WARIO IS MY SECOND-WORST MATCHUP!!!

I'm excited.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I came in here to agree that the move sucks. Then I read the idea of using this on Wario...

WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS, WARIO IS MY SECOND-WORST MATCHUP!!!

I'm excited.
My jerk of a brother mains Wario, and I know how much of a pain it is to fight Wario with Jiggs.

Yes, the Dsmash works, and it's awesome. The problem is that Wario usually won't have to use his upB to recover. :(

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The secret to forcing Wario to use his double jump and up-B is to dair him off his bike.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
What's brawl +? A nick name for a popular 'special brawl' game type?
Brawl+ people consider SSBB a bad game, and use codes to "make it better".
They add things like no tripping, 8% hitstun, and anything that would make it more like Melee.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
Brawl+ people consider SSBB a bad game, and use codes to "make it better".
They add things like no tripping, 8% hitstun, and anything that would make it more like Melee.
I think they'd have more fun then playing melee.

I could do with no trips though.:laugh:

Veril

Frame Savant
Fix'd.

I get a little annoyed when "high learning curve" is code for "highly situational and otherwise terrible". Or just bad. Like Link (sorry Link mains).

EDIT: nevermind, they all left.

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Nice trajectory,decent range for jiggly and lag isn't terrible.

Also its a great taunt when you charge it =P

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I agree with you Veril, but Link, Falcon, and Diddy all have legitimately high learning curves imo... Link and Falcon become more viable than most of the low tiers (imo) at a high enough level of mastery. (Like... Ike and Zelda are decent to begin with but really aren't going to get much better no matter how much you "master" them...)

I think your argument could apply more to Sonic and Samus, if you are looking for specific characters.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm sorry, what were you saying? I was just totally shutting Sonic down, and by that I mean doing a down-tilt.

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Sonic isnt hard to fight put you have to have patience and know what you are doing.

PND

Smash Champion
Sonic took me forever to figure out. Now he's not a problem, at all. You know what else works? Repeating jabs, ie. Snake. Have fun getting past that, you blue *******.
<3 Steak.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Sonic is serious business. Sonic is a joke, but the nuts who use him (well) are not.
I'm sorry, what were you saying? I was just totally shutting Sonic down, and by that I mean doing a down-tilt.
Wow, some sonics (all) are too stupid at times. I was playing against a sonic the other day. He isnt bad, just... not good. (decent) Most of the matches he was 2 stocked. (he is very predictable)

I ran to the opposite side of FD to see if he (and sonik) is as stupid as I thought.
He passes the fail test.
He stands there for a second, taunts "your too slow". I hold crouch and he runs straight at me. And then... wow... I could not stop rotfl-ing.

I use rest as he overlaps me, and he dies. It was too good.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
i love how jiggz can stall offstage without planking, works wonders on sonic, sheild everything dont go for sheild grabs or try to punish just float from one side to the other and bair or nair when he chases after u.
sonics easy

illinialex24

Smash Hero
i love how jiggz can stall offstage without planking, works wonders on sonic, sheild everything dont go for sheild grabs or try to punish just float from one side to the other and bair or nair when he chases after u.
sonics easy
You obviously, obviously, have never played Anther's sonic. You do this and you are ****ed. Not just in trouble, ****ed over. Still, its better than doing this on his Pikachu

Top Bottom